Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think that's robert evans off behind the bastards, though I think he would also have a lot of cutting weapons and a stockpile of questionable machetes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

SKULL.GIF posted:

Man the new experimental has a ton of screen flickering when moving around.

There is a bug that recently popped up where under certain conditions, towns are spawning comical amounts of zombies. Like hundreds per block. This is not intentional and it's too many enemies for the game to manage, so that might be causing performance issues.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

put all the zombies into one abstracted pile

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Ha, now I'm imagining a literal heap of zombies like the data structure where you can only attack whatever is considered the root/front of the heap, and on beating that one it splits the remaining zombies into sub-heaps. no clue how to balance that and it'd be a nightmare to actually implement probably but was a funny passing thought

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Found in the wild:

"bears must suffer too" is ingrained on me for life

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Synthbuttrange posted:

put all the zombies into one abstracted pile

Oh the Heroes of Might and Magic method

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

dervival posted:

Ha, now I'm imagining a literal heap of zombies like the data structure where you can only attack whatever is considered the root/front of the heap, and on beating that one it splits the remaining zombies into sub-heaps. no clue how to balance that and it'd be a nightmare to actually implement probably but was a funny passing thought

Youve made slimes. :0

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

worm girl posted:

There is a bug that recently popped up where under certain conditions, towns are spawning comical amounts of zombies. Like hundreds per block. This is not intentional and it's too many enemies for the game to manage, so that might be causing performance issues.

Apparently this bug only happens in existing worlds, and only in partially-explored overmap chunks. Starting a new game or moving to a new region will fix it.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
What's the prerequisite for Biochemistry?

-e- Also, anyone else regularly getting a bug where activated items are getting their on/off status reversed? I've had it happen so far with attachable earmuffs on a tactical helmet (I have to push them tightly to my ears to be able to hear, pulling them away deafens me), and with a folding stock getting folding/unfolding backwards. Is there a way to fix it?

Leif. fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Aug 26, 2023

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!
Principles of Chemistry, Organic chemistry, and Principles of Biology.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

Pigbuster posted:

"bears must suffer too" is ingrained on me for life

Cataclysm: Bears must suffer too

Faithless
Dec 1, 2006
What are the benefits of base building over just living out of my car?

I feel like it would be a waste of time to barricade a house and build fortifications if they were for nothing - But I'm also worried that constantly driving around in my car will at some point lead to a nightmare situation and possibly just stretch my map out over a size where I wouldn't want to drive all the way back to trade etc.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Vehicles are versatile but theres things you cant do with them like building chokepoints and traps and having more durable building materials, crops, water sources and multiple z levels.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Kevin ship the multiple z level deathmobiles.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Faithless posted:

What are the benefits of base building over just living out of my car?
Hoarding

Just lol if you don't cram hundreds of items into bookshelves only to never look at them again

Faithless
Dec 1, 2006
I read elsewhere that your base can and will get raided. I guess my main issue at the moment is a lack of welding rods to successfully build my death machine without also needing a place to hold up for a while.

Also on a similar note - How do I hook up my base fridge/freezers to electricity?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Tin Tim posted:

Hoarding

Just lol if you don't cram hundreds of items into bookshelves only to never look at them again

This is way old (.C I think) but I had my hoarders pad including a shitload of ammo and explosives. I came back from a lab raid and figured I should test this electromagnet thing.

I realized my mistake when the game stopped time and cranked CPU.

I managed to pull my sizable ammo stash directly into the wall and set enough of it off that the rest went in a sympathetic explosion.

Hell yeah.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Faithless posted:

Also on a similar note - How do I hook up my base fridge/freezers to electricity?

Place them as an appliance using the construction menu, then interact with them and it will give you the option to plug them in, you can plug them into other nearby appliances, batteries, or power generators. If you have an extension cord you can activate that to create power connections over longer distances.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Current bitches:
- Mobs that toggle hostility so that I need to turn off safe mode to hit them, leading to me forgetting to turn it back on: I'm looking at you hunting horrors, flying polyps, mi-gos, etc. I'm a 15 int character, I'm not going to be fooled into thinking that the alien creature that just eviscerated 10 zombie soldiers is all of a sudden remorseful or friendly after I stab it 10 times.
- Me in a kevlar bodysuit and chitin armor, running across an empty field with a single raspberry bush. "Do you really want to step in this raspberry bush?"

edit: I can dump 10 gallons of bleach and ammonia on the ground, and then sprinkle metal chunks from a car and broken glass on top. Then strip naked and crawl through it with no problem. Heaven forbid I encounter a raspberry bush though.

luchadornado fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Sep 3, 2023

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

luchadornado posted:

Current bitches:
- Mobs that toggle hostility so that I need to turn off safe mode to hit them, leading to me forgetting to turn it back on: I'm looking at you hunting horrors, flying polyps, mi-gos, etc. I'm a 15 int character, I'm not going to be fooled into thinking that the alien creature that just eviscerated 10 zombie soldiers is all of a sudden remorseful or friendly after I stab it 10 times.
- Me in a kevlar bodysuit and chitin armor, running across an empty field with a single raspberry bush. "Do you really want to step in this raspberry bush?"

edit: I can dump 10 gallons of bleach and ammonia on the ground, and then sprinkle metal chunks from a car and broken glass on top. Then strip naked and crawl through it with no problem. Heaven forbid I encounter a raspberry bush though.

Some of these have quality of life features that you can enable
- You can set auto-safe mode to a number of turns. This means when you turn off safe mode it flips back on after a little bit of time. 50 turns works pretty well.
- For moving far distances like that, you can enable "auto travel mode" where your character steps around obstacles like berry bushes automatically. AFAIK you have to assign it in the keybinds menu. This works great for running through forests.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

esquilax posted:

Some of these have quality of life features that you can enable
- You can set auto-safe mode to a number of turns, where when you turn off safe mode it flips back on. 50 turns works pretty well.
- For moving far distances like that, you can enable "auto travel mode" where your character steps around obstacles like berry bushes automatically. AFAIK you have to assign it in the keybinds menu. This works great for running through forests.

That's good to know, but it reminds me of a post I saw somewhere where someone said about CDDA "end game feels like fighting the interface more than fighting the monsters". I can't really think of a good reason to have really dangerous mobs continually go unhostile or for raspberry bushes to prompt you the same way stepping on a landmine does.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

I wonder how difficult / useful it would be to add a difficult terrain manager the same way the game has the pickup, distraction, and safe mode managers

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I think the underlying problem there is that creatures that do hit and run attacks (like dogs) get flagged as non hostile when they're in the run portion. That doesn't make sense, but I imagine it's a consequence of the game engine only flagging enemies running in as hostile. They're still hostile! They're just making some space!

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

On Sky Islands, how do you deal with exits across the river? Is it just "follow it until you find the bridge" or is there a better solution?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

esquilax posted:

On Sky Islands, how do you deal with exits across the river? Is it just "follow it until you find the bridge" or is there a better solution?

Pretty much! I've heard of someone bringing a cheaply made foldable boat on their void harness thing, but that seems excessive.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

esquilax posted:

One of two ways, generally:

Walk along the river until I can find a tall enough building to get a good view of each direction. If I see a bridge, do that.

If I don't, just cheat. It feels loving bad losing a run because of mapgen.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Is there a way to just mod out rivers? That should come as a standard Sky Island feature at this point.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Maybe there should be an item you can purchase with void shards that lets you walk in water or levitate or for 10 minutes or whatever.

Or maybe a short range map teleport, long enough to get over most rivers.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
The scuttle, tentacle bracing, and gastropod balance mutations let you walk across rivers effortlessly because of the WALK_UNDERWATER flag. It would be trivial to add an enchantment or piece of equipment to the mod with the same flag. I'm surprised Magiclysm doesn't have a spell for it yet.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Is that the same as being able to breath underwater? Being able to walk across the Bottom of the river doesn’t help much if you drown before you get halfway across. :v: Not trying to be sarcastic (too much) but I assume this game is detailed enough for that to be a concern.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Is that the same as being able to breath underwater? Being able to walk across the Bottom of the river doesn’t help much if you drown before you get halfway across. :v: Not trying to be sarcastic (too much) but I assume this game is detailed enough for that to be a concern.

No, but your character can easily hold their breath for ten seconds. You also don't need to dunk your head underwater. You can walk across and still breathe unless the water is multiple Z levels deep.

Rivers are 1 Z level. The water is only like 5 feet deep.

worm girl fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Sep 6, 2023

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
In fun bug news, someone's game inexplicably generated a cash card that weighs over 200 pounds and explodes into 21,918 separate cash cards when you try to pick it up

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

is it trying to seperate each cent into a new card

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Synthbuttrange posted:

is it trying to seperate each cent into a new card

I think it might be something like that, but the bug fucks up even that because every card is completely empty.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
You really can't carry over a save from before the item charges changes, there is in theory some code for porting things over but it fucks up constantly.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Man, I came back to this game and some of the changes made are insane. Why do I need a car battery worth of power to dehydrate one piece of meat, and why doesn't it scale? I also need like 200 welding rods to attach one ram to my car, and crafting it is insanely expensive.

Huh?

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

You need to do the Butcher's Alliance questline to unlock the efficient meat smoking proficiency, and if you put mutagen catalyst and ovis mutagen in your car's fuel tank there's a 1/125 chance your car will grow some bighorn ram horns.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Serious answer: the game design struggles to balance survival realism with sci-fi zombie apocalypse and sometimes things are just dumb. Get familiar with the game's json files and feel free to edit then whenever they make the game less fun.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Just use a smoking rack, they're easy to keep supplied and effectively automated meat preservation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Michaellaneous posted:

Man, I came back to this game and some of the changes made are insane. Why do I need a car battery worth of power to dehydrate one piece of meat, and why doesn't it scale? I also need like 200 welding rods to attach one ram to my car, and crafting it is insanely expensive.

Huh?

You can build actual power grids now as constructions instead lf vehicles and they're very easy to make. Home cooking appliances were previously intentionally consuming far too little power because they had to be balanced around this missing feature. Now that it's implemented, you need appropriate power sources. A car battery barely holds anything irl and food dehydrators have to run for hours.

Smoking racks are absolutely the way to go.