Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Steve French posted:

Nope. Have an ortho appointment scheduled for Tuesday. The ER doc said he thought it would probably not require surgery. "Nondisplaced proximal right humeral metaphyseal fracture through the surgical neck. Main portions of the left humerus and left elbow appear unremarkable. Glenohumeral joint is intact. Soft tissues appear unremarkable."

Whatever all that means

Ah nice, non displaced is the key there!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

unremarkable is great when the doc’s talking

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

I had a non displaced radial head fracture (so kinda similar, but admittedly smaller bone) and it healed in like three weeks - here's hoping similar speed for you! And weirdly they actually wanted me to stay out of a splint/cast - apparently it heals better not being totally stationary? Dunno for yours though.

Good luck!

amenenema fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Aug 25, 2023

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
Good luck, hopefully you’re back on the bike soon! Wet roots have to be everyone’s least favourite trail feature, right?

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

Good luck, hopefully you’re back on the bike soon! Wet roots have to be everyone’s least favourite trail feature, right?

Sandpits at the bottom of a descent are a close second

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
I like 6” rock lips exactly my wheelbase apart

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Car Hater posted:

Sandpits at the bottom of a descent are a close second

This sums up my local trails.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
It looks nice in pics and videos of the sea otter but it's so sandy here.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I found out today that I need surgery for my herniated disc, but I haven't ridden in 4 months so anything that actually helps me get some relief for this pinched nerve would be awesome :smith:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Nocheez posted:

I found out today that I need surgery for my herniated disc, but I haven't ridden in 4 months so anything that actually helps me get some relief for this pinched nerve would be awesome :smith:

Best of luck, hope the recovery is smooth and it takes care of it.

I get my nerves burnt off in my neck (arthritis that I first noticed pain only while riding to now all the time) in a month so hopefully I can ride more often. gently caress getting older, amirite?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Nocheez posted:

Oof best of luck with your surgery. I'm trying to avoid it as much as possible but I hope it brings you relief.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
It's not a joke but it sounds like it, but some of my physio for my bulged disc was lots of gentle upward-dog stretches plus a few other more specific ones to my injury (lower right side). I still do that particular stretch multiple times a day just to relieve a bit of the tension.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

For me it was a lot of walking in recovery, planks, and the cobra stretch. Some mornings I need to just lay on the floor like that or on my elbows for a few minutes when my back is tight.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I had two physical therapists and my first did nothing to improve my condition after 6 weeks. My second worked magic in the first three weeks and continued for another 9. From not being able to stand or walk more than a few minutes to feeling better than I have in years without surgery, I made sure to keep her info for later.

My success came from doing lots of stretches targeting my groin, hip flexors, and hamstrings. The small strengthening exercises targeted my glutes and back muscles. It was strange because the exercises seemed so minor but they paid off quickly.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Is going tubeless worth the hassle?

The stock rims and tires my bike came with are tubeless capable but I haven't bothered to figure out how to make them tubeless. The process looks straightforward and I have most of the tools already.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
1000% yes.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Tubeless is great. Roll what you have til you get a puncture, then convert

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Sounds like I need to convert them then.

Waiting for a puncture is the most sensible but I'm having as much fun messing with and modifying the bike as I am riding it.

Followup question - Is there a good tire guide out there? I don't think there's anything wrong with the stock tires but I kinda want to put on something with more aggressive tread. I don't mind a little more rolling resistance if the tradeoff is more cornering grip.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

what bike and where do you ride? What type of dirt/conditions?

Also, yes convert to tubeless. It isn't hard to do.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

spwrozek posted:

what bike and where do you ride? What type of dirt/conditions?

Also, yes convert to tubeless. It isn't hard to do.

YT Izzo core 3 (29er), western Washington state. I'm not sure how to describe dirt, but this trail is representative of what I'm typically riding: https://www.trailforks.com/trails/side-hustle/

Tubeless materials will be on order shortly.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
God! A red nugget! A fat egg under a dog!

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Waiting for a puncture is the most sensible but I'm having as much fun messing with and modifying the bike as I am riding it.

Followup question - Is there a good tire guide out there? I don't think there's anything wrong with the stock tires but I kinda want to put on something with more aggressive tread. I don't mind a little more rolling resistance if the tradeoff is more cornering grip.

Forekasters are pretty good all-rounders (especially if it's the new version), if you're looking for more grip I'd consider changing the front over to something like a DHF and keeping the Forekaster as a rear tire for now then see how that goes.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
To elaborate, tubeless can be a bigger pain to diagnose and fix when you do get a problem, but you will get way less problems.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Dissector, DHF, and Assegai would all be options with more aggressive tread for the front. Id second the DHF recommendation. It’s a great tire.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
It is worth calling out that some people don't get along with the DHF because it has a bit of a dead spot at moderate lean angles. It's fine if you're super aggressive at getting the bike over, but some people just don't like it. The Assegai doesn't have the same gap between the center and side knobs. Specialized Butcher T9 is another good aggressive front tire option that's usually available a fair bit cheaper than Maxxis; I've got a few riding buddies who have switched to Spec tires and like them.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I've been pretty happy with my bontrager xr4/xr3 combo. They're a good bit lighter than the dhf with good grip. Just one of a million options with looking into. :shepface:

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Schwalbe tires also tend to have transition knobs if it’s important to you. Ime, that zone on the DHF is overrated as I’m not an aggressive rider and still love it. Ymmv of course.

Dhr ii also works quite well as a front

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Does it matter which foot is forward in the ready position? My right is my dominant but I'm more comfortable with my left being the leading foot in the ready position. Just want to make sure I'm not building any dumb habits.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

prom candy posted:

Does it matter which foot is forward in the ready position? My right is my dominant but I'm more comfortable with my left being the leading foot in the ready position. Just want to make sure I'm not building any dumb habits.

Nope it's preference. When I'm riding with newer people or otherwise riding easier stuff I often ride with my other foot forward to make it more interesting and to help me do better when I end up with my 'wrong' foot forward when riding normally.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

VelociBacon posted:

Nope it's preference.

Nice thanks. I didn't want to get used it and then find out it's the mtb equivalent of pushing mongo or something

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the advice everyone. Sounds like I have plenty of good tire options.

After thinking it over I should probably work on technique before throwing money at the problem, but I'm not sure where to start.

I'm definitely past a beginner level and can ride moderately difficult blue runs safely, but I'm relying on 20 years of daily street riding instinct and not actual good technique.

I'm thinking about taking a class or two to get up to speed. Watching a tutorial or two only goes so far.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
The ~15 hours I spent in lessons this season were some of the best time/money I've ever invested in the sport, it makes a huge difference.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
Seconding that. I did like an hour of drills plus a 2 hr guided shuttle run and it was huge. The only downside is that now I can’t look at pics of me riding without being pissed that I’m locking my arms.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Forekasters are a great tire for western WA with the wet season coming up literally right now.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Would it be worth getting a couple lessons if I'm in my first season or would it be better to put more reps in first?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

prom candy posted:

Would it be worth getting a couple lessons if I'm in my first season or would it be better to put more reps in first?
The more recently you've started the better deal lessons are.

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Welp, in the time I’ve been probed the freshly copped Ripmo AF came in from Jenson. Setup was a breeze. Copped the shock pump as well which was essential as well as the “extra firm” coil (Im a motherhecking clydesdale!)

Had sworn I wouldn’t replace anything until it broke but once I copped the purple pedals you know I had to add the grips and seat on the haters.

As the name suggests I’ve been ripping and running on it a number of times at the (non lift) “park”

Got over this actually very easy number

Copped a few tumbles on this little hump number but got through it

Tipmo’d the dang Ripmo on this little number as well but finished it

Pretty funny all you have to do is not be careful and not go slow but your peabrain is telling you to be careful and slow and you keep copping a slam onto the waiting rocks

Did a couple of what are considered “black” trails in this park without much skill or speed or aplomb but got to the bottom.

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Now as far as protection I copped a goodly number of protective gear and all of it(except arguably the fullface) saved me from some pain and scrapes on these few rides though nothing that would full blown send me to the ER or anything.

I simply won’t do any offroad riding without a fullface following an incident where I went OTB on my first “real” MTB, a dang bikesdirect cross country hardtail, which saw me splitting my nose/philtrum such that you could see my teeth through it. A plastic surgeon actually was called to the ER to sew up that little number.

The protective gear I copped is a stormtrooper helmet smith mainline or somethign

These lightly padded shirts and shorts which are quite good and protected somewhat my shoulder / thigh on a couple tumbles

These extremely good kneepads that I used to have but lost during the philtrum splitting OTB incident in my mad rush to the hospital. I believe they are discontinued so cop while you can. Dianese VE1N or something.

These OKish elbow pads that don’t seem very protective but are better than nothing. Inside is a little rubbery pad Seems virtually nobody makes an elbow pad with a shell?

Dirtpaws, natch

and these 5-10 sleuths in the cheapest colorway from scamazon. The colors are ugly but, all 5-10 bike shoes look very ugly and bad. I copped the black freerider pros at the same time to choose between them and though the freerider pros were stiffer soled it just wasn’t worth double the price for this humble MTBer. So I returned the pros.

about half the people at the park had fullface, probably half had kneepads, virtually nobody had elbow pads. I will be protecting myself in full fashion going forward. The complaints of that its hot or uncomfortable really don’t hold water against the possibility of a brutal injury imo.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I need to buy more safety gear. When I play hockey I put on basically every piece of gear they make but for cycling I just put on a helmet. Partly because half the time I go out I don't decide if I'm gonna do the actual trails or just a little gravel ride until I'm halfway up the hill. I almost went otb yesterday trying to get up on to a ledge that I had no business trying to get up on (it was like 2x curb height and thus 2x taller than anything I've gotten up on before). Might be time to at least get knees and elbows if I'm gonna be doing stupid poo poo.

The black and purple colour scheme on your bike looks very sick.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Good work OP on the bike and wearing all that stuff.

prom candy posted:

I need to buy more safety gear. When I play hockey I put on basically every piece of gear they make but for cycling I just put on a helmet. Partly because half the time I go out I don't decide if I'm gonna do the actual trails or just a little gravel ride until I'm halfway up the hill. I almost went otb yesterday trying to get up on to a ledge that I had no business trying to get up on (it was like 2x curb height and thus 2x taller than anything I've gotten up on before). Might be time to at least get knees and elbows if I'm gonna be doing stupid poo poo.

I never wear elbow protection in any sport and mostly I get the most poo poo about it in Hockey. I haven't had a brutal elbow injury yet!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

prom candy posted:

I can just not any longer see not wearing a fullface to me its a must. Not that "likely" to happen but when it does you are fully owned. I think it's pretty "unlikely" that you would get a "serious" knee or elbow injury that pads would protect much against, but its worth the $70 or whatever to not get owned by a dirty road rash etc. The padded shirt and shorts is prob overkill but it makes me more confident to do stuff. Many thanks for the bike complements. Your trek is looking sick as well.