Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

If you're ever in Southeast Arizona and want an up-close look at an absurd number of hummingbirds, the Ash Canyon Bird Sanctuary is the place to be.

Ash Canyon Bird Sanctuary-34 by Will King, on Flickr

Ash Canyon Bird Sanctuary-39 by Will King, on Flickr

Ash Canyon Bird Sanctuary-50 by Will King, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3171184

:colbert:

Amazing photos tho.

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

May contain traces of nuts...

Ihmemies posted:

Went to some small river last friday. 100 years ago it was used to float millions of logs yearly. Nowdays it's pretty quiet...

Very cool.

maxe
Sep 23, 2004

BLURRED SWEET STREETLIGHTS SPEEDING PAST, FAST
dreamy!

maxe
Sep 23, 2004

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Megabound fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Aug 26, 2023

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

beautiful! I love the composition.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

yeah those are nice tree details. When I do that stuff I tend to leave out the background because it feels messy to me but you making it work.

eg,

So it's cool to see how other people do it.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

I took this for the monthly contest - I think the one I posted in the actual contest thread is slightly better but I like this one too

Leaning 2 by Ross Payton, on Flickr

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I like how the colours came out on this one.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

the taxi in shadow is very cool.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

These are awesome. Did anyone give you flak for bringing a tripod to the fair?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

LiterallyATomato posted:

These are awesome. Did anyone give you flak for bringing a tripod to the fair?

Nah, a couple of people asked me if I worked there or wanted to see the shots and one woman walked into it when I was shooting but no sass.

Thanks! :)

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Mister Speaker posted:

Nah, a couple of people asked me if I worked there or wanted to see the shots and one woman walked into it when I was shooting but no sass.

Very cool. The state fair in my neck of the woods starts soon; I might bring a tripod.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Mister Speaker posted:

what settings did you have for those pics? They look beautiful!

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

clockworkjoe posted:

what settings did you have for those pics? They look beautiful!

Nikon Z6 20mm f/1.8. I think I was sitting at f/11 but it may have been shorter, low ISO. The rides move so fast that you really only need a three- or four-second exposure. In post all I do is up the exposure a bit then pull down the highlights so the lights aren't blown out and tweak the contrast a bit, then jack up the clarify and vibrance. Thanks :)

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Aug 30, 2023

Sleepytime
Dec 21, 2004

two shots of happy, one shot of sad

Soiled Meat

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Ok these were not low effort really. I spent 5 days studying how to take photos of items. I used whatever I had already at hand - one studio light, one speedlight. Rectangular softbox, and a white umbrella. Double diffusers with the light seem to be quite essential.

These did not achieve completely the look I wanted. Two stripboxes with double diffusers and grids would maybe give the light I envisioned. I wish I knew what I really need.

The two side photos are actually quite OK.

Here I realized that I can use a black cloth to reduce the light reflecting below the aperture ring, thus making it darker. I could not be bothered to shoot the 2 first photos again anymore. I'm done with this thing, something else next time.

Here I used maybe max tilt to get the focus plane to be more in line with the bayonet.

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

Very good photos

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
A tree I came across on the hills above Cheddar Gorge. Its so windy up there its just grown like that.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Beautiful! Black and white was a good choice.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Where ya at?

ploots
Mar 19, 2010

tompepper
Feb 14, 2005

maxe
Sep 23, 2004

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I went and shot the airshow for the first time ever. Even though I kind of hate it, the jingoism and celebration of war machines, it was pretty loving cool to witness. I'm not too happy with how hazy/blurry some of these are but whatever, it's my first time and it was a fun challenge. But oh boy am I sunburnt.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah, it is definitely cool. Nice shots - like the sense of movement on some of these. I try to look at it as a celebration of what we can do getting that stuff up there and ignore the guy yelling “bomb the arabs” in 2023.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

These are excellent!

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Was getting some real chill vibes from these last night

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Mister Speaker posted:

I went and shot the airshow for the first time ever. Even though I kind of hate it, the jingoism and celebration of war machines, it was pretty loving cool to witness. I'm not too happy with how hazy/blurry some of these are but whatever, it's my first time and it was a fun challenge. But oh boy am I sunburnt.

Neat though. What length of lens did you use to get these?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Neat though. What length of lens did you use to get these?

I have a Sigma 150-600 f/6.3 and it was right out at 600 for most of these. Really hard to pan and track fighter jets at that length, which is why there aren't more shots of the Hornet.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I participated in a 24h photo marathon. We got 24 subjects and had to take a photo for each task. I'll just dump it all. Usually I take portraits and event photos, so I tried to try something else. Weird techniques, longer exposures, multiple exposures etc. I slept for 9 hours, ate, went shopping, had a job interview etc. I estimate I spent maybe 20 minutes for each photo so around 8 hours total, maybe.

Sorry for the massive photo dump.

01 olipa kerran...

02 - reflections

03 - Verstecktes Leben

04 - Syksyn valoa

05 - Heresy!

06 - 痕迹

07 - Sattumaako?

08 - End of an Era

09 - Контрудар

10 - Smooth criminal

11 - Ennen lehdenjakajaa

12 - π x r²

13 - Light and Shadow

14 - بكرة

15 - Beginning of an Era

16 - Löylyä lisää

17 - À l'envers

18 - Ngiyakuthanda

19 - Kaikki erilaisia, kaikki samanarvoisia

20 - Out of the Blue

21 - Pari

22 - Efímero

23 - Isoja juttuja tulossa

24 - Snap

maxe
Sep 23, 2004

whoah! awesome

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

COVID quarantine photoshoot with the pupper this weekend. :kimchi:

Corgi-28 by Will King, on Flickr

Corgi-61 by Will King, on Flickr

Corgi-66 by Will King, on Flickr

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

Ihmemies posted:

I participated in a 24h photo marathon. We got 24 subjects and had to take a photo for each task. I'll just dump it all. Usually I take portraits and event photos, so I tried to try something else. Weird techniques, longer exposures, multiple exposures etc. I slept for 9 hours, ate, went shopping, had a job interview etc. I estimate I spent maybe 20 minutes for each photo so around 8 hours total, maybe.

Sorry for the massive photo dump.

Super cool stuff. Are the numbered descriptions the task prompts or the titles for the photos?

Doggles posted:

COVID quarantine photoshoot with the pupper this weekend. :kimchi:

Corgi-28 by Will King, on Flickr

Gosh what a beauty.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

QuasiQuack posted:

Super cool stuff. Are the numbered descriptions the task prompts or the titles for the photos?

Gosh what a beauty.

Creamy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ihmemies posted:

03 - Verstecktes Leben

04 - Syksyn valoa

05 - Heresy!

11 - Ennen lehdenjakajaa

16 - Löylyä lisää

17 - À l'envers

21 - Pari

22 - Efímero

Very cool exercise. These stood out to me with 03, 16 & 22 having a very nice textured look.