Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

ElehemEare posted:

Spent 70 hours on my NG playthrough, then spent 9 hours on NG+ through +3. Ez platinum, unironically think this is the best FromSoft game of all time (certainly the most satisfying to git gud at).

Is there anything else even remotely similar to this game I can now obsess over, or do I just chase the Gauntlets dragon?

try Sifu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

ElehemEare posted:

Spent 70 hours on my NG playthrough, then spent 9 hours on NG+ through +3. Ez platinum, unironically think this is the best FromSoft game of all time (certainly the most satisfying to git gud at).

Is there anything else even remotely similar to this game I can now obsess over, or do I just chase the Gauntlets dragon?

They don't play the same at all, but the only thing I've repeatedly NG+'d as many times as Sekiro is Horizon Zero Dawn. There's kind of an abstract common element between them in how you gradually build knowledge and familiarity with even the most basic enemies until you can dismantle them effortlessly via a combination of precision and using the right tools.

And if you want the equivalent of going charmless for HZD, you can mod it to completely remove bullet time: https://www.nexusmods.com/horizonzerodawn/mods/65

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Seconding Sifu, it's much shorter and doesn't have much in the way of exploration or stealth gameplay, but it really nails the central "pursuit of perfection" aspect of Sekiro's combat. It's incredibly satisfying to have some enemies that when you first face them completely wreck you go from "this is bullshit they are impossible" to chumps you can dismantle with just as much ease as every other low tier mook.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

There's this small indie 2D metroidvania platformer, you might not have heard of it, but it's called Hollow Knight and it scratched a similar itch for me in terms of having to learn bosses moves and practice responding to them with precise timing etc.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

bike tory posted:

There's this small indie 2D metroidvania platformer, you might not have heard of it, but it's called Hollow Knight and it scratched a similar itch for me in terms of having to learn bosses moves and practice responding to them with precise timing etc.

That and Cuphead. But those are 2D side scrollers, brutal in the old Nintendo flavor, I find it hard to go back and play that type of game.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
Gauntlets, Charmless, and Demon Bell. Keep going. Don't stop. Learn how to fight Genichiro and Owl and Isshin completely hitless.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

The new steam game En Garde is has a lot of Sekiro in its swordplay.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
Though they are old, All three Punchout games have boxers who will hand you your rear end until you learn their tells and timing. Git Good and you can run the whole game without taking a hit.

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

ElehemEare posted:

thymesia came closest to the feel of the actual combat to me, with the caveat that you need to upgrade the parry window immediately to make parries feel good. once it clicks it feels amazing. level design is bad though and you will get lost a lot

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I was trying to replay Elden Ring, found myself trying to parry and then went "gently caress this" and reinstalled Sekiro. :negative:

I only have a single playthrought with the normal ending. What was the recommended progression again? Normal, Charmless, Normal with Big Bell and then everything together?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I recommend picking up the bell asap (note you can turn it off for bosses).

It increases drop rates for loot and you need those for shinobi tool upgrades.

Charmless is much harder than the Demon bell modifier.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
Yeah I got humbled pretty quickly when I tried to weave in a charmless run while getting the completion achievement.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Demon Bell does the equivalent of increasing the NG level, charmless fundamentally changes the combat by forcing you to parry rather than just block (but also increases the damage enemies do and poo poo).

Honestly, just turn them both on and don't look back.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Found the forum all this game's enemies post on:

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I have heard that Armored Core 6 has similar mechanics. Can anyone confirm.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Cpt_Obvious posted:

It is I the guy who played AC6 till 3 AM.

The game has stagger gauge for both you and enemies that fills up from damage and different weapons have different properties like explosives cause the stagger gauge to persist longer.

When it's filled up the target becomes immobile for few seconds and takes massive damage from all attacks.

There's also unlockable skills like the boost kick but I didnt get that far yet.

You can perfect block attacks if you have a shield equipped.

It's good so far but it's definitely more Armored Core than Sekiro.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Cpt_Obvious posted:

the way you attack and move is nothing like Sekiro but the enemy and especially boss design has exactly the same abstract / big-picture priorities. there's a posture bar you fill up by attacking relentlessly and not giving the enemy a chance to breathe, you want to avoid enemy attacks by dodging or jumping in the correct direction while interrupting your own offense as briefly as possible, and picking the right tools for the job goes a long way

it's incredibly refreshing after replaying Elden Ring recently, game's good but "you need constant focused aggression to shut the enemy down" is so much more fun than "be patient and wait for openings"

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Aug 25, 2023

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Ty for posts. My PlayStation is dead so I can only watch from the sideline and sigh.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It was definitely interesting how the tutorial boss went from what the gently caress to something I killed in less than a minute once I realized I should be playing it like Sekiro.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
Don't a ton of action games have stagger meters of some kind? The new action Final Fantasies, God of War, and that's just off my head.

The real innovation that Sekiro made was that the health bar was more of a suggestion rather than the main bar you need to attack. And that perfect blocks also fill the bar you want to target.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The secret sauce of Sekiro is that attack and defence are the same thing and the point is to understand when you should be doing one and when you should be doing the other consistently under pressure

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Saying 'gently caress it' and going full on at Genichiro for the first time really showed how you can shut down a good chunk of the enemies' moves by being in their face. In Souls it feels like you're not having much of an effect on what the bosses do until you hit the killing blow.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tirranek posted:

Saying 'gently caress it' and going full on at Genichiro for the first time really showed how you can shut down a good chunk of the enemies' moves by being in their face. In Souls it feels like you're not having much of an effect on what the bosses do until you hit the killing blow.

Yeah I think a lot of people struggle with Sekiro because they see the enemy parrying and counter-attacking when they're being aggressive and think "oh that means I shouldn't do that", but that actually makes them way more predictable. You can basically make them attack on command rather than waiting for them to do something and hoping you can read it quickly enough to respond correctly.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

So far the meta of AC6 is never stop attacking the boss and do not respect its personal space at all.

So if you've played Sekiro you know what to expect at least.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
Well I can only make an assessment of AC6 in a few hours when I can actually sit down to play, but the reason you can be relentlessly aggressive in Sekiro is because there is no stamina gauge. The closest bar of your own character you need to manage is your own posture bar, and that's relatively simple if your timing is simply good.

In Souls games you need to manage your stamina bar. Overextending and dumping your entire bar makes you vulnerable. There's nothing as demoralizing as realizing you've dumped your entire stamina bar on a boss right as they are starting up a long attack string, it means you've hosed Up. This forces more reactive and patient play.

In Sekiro you need to decide at a split second if you are going to press L1 or R1 at any moment. Relentless pressing of R1 is actually helpful, because it restricts the AI's freedom of action, enemies have a tell when you need to stop pressing R1 and switch into L1. And part of the skill ceiling is knowing when you can safely fit R1s back in there, resetting the enemy's strings. And even forcing the enemy to block will steadily chip away at their vitality and posture, in the same way that getting hits in on a typical souls boss will eventually lead to them keeling over and dying.

Does AC6 combat have the same considerations? I dunno I'll work it out.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

Don't a ton of action games have stagger meters of some kind? The new action Final Fantasies, God of War, and that's just off my head.

The real innovation that Sekiro made was that the health bar was more of a suggestion rather than the main bar you need to attack. And that perfect blocks also fill the bar you want to target.

the innovation is doing that and also being good

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
Well I mashed my way deathless through the tutorial chopper in AC6 first try so I guess that worked.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Sekiro didnt start it but absolutely put it back into the mainstream

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

it's incredibly refreshing after replaying Elden Ring recently, game's good but "you need constant focused aggression to shut the enemy down" is so much more fun than "be patient and wait for openings"

ER was great and I played it to death but the endless arms escalation of souls combat really isn't doing it any favors.

Don't a ton of action games have stagger meters of some kind? The new action Final Fantasies

FF16 has a stagger bar but it's like FF13's. You don't really do anything, just attack until they take a knee and let you blow all your cooldowns for big damage. There are technically bigger meter-breaking attacks as rewards but the combat is so awful and dodging works like Dark Souls 2 parries so by the time you might have memorized the exact animation timing the fight is over.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

FF16 has super lenient dodge window. Not sure what you are referring to.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

WaltherFeng posted:

FF16 has super lenient dodge window. Not sure what you are referring to.

The window is massive, to the point where I'm not even sure where it ends. It just doesn't start fast, so you're kind of trying to time it so you throw yourself through the strike. Great if you've memorized the timing and know to start early, bad if you're doing it on reaction. It's been slow going because I have to retrain my brain every time I pick it up.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Mailer posted:

The window is massive, to the point where I'm not even sure where it ends. It just doesn't start fast, so you're kind of trying to time it so you throw yourself through the strike. Great if you've memorized the timing and know to start early, bad if you're doing it on reaction. It's been slow going because I have to retrain my brain every time I pick it up.

That sounds like control lag tbh, FFXVI’s dodging is super responsive and easy.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Ok finally picked this up because it was on sale

Getting used to the very different combat and traversal

So far I’ve been getting by by sneaking up on a dude, assassinating him, jumping on a roof and waiting for the other grunts to lose interest and calm down, then sneaking up on the next target, repeat

Will I be hosed against bosses if I don’t practice head to head battle? There’s a Shinobi hunter with a spear, practice swordplay or poke his unsuspecting butt?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Yeah kind of. The game is definitely built around fighting dirty and sneaking around to avoid getting ganged up on, and there are even a few boss-fights you can partially cheese in that way, but ultimately you will need to be able to fight people head-on. Remember to be aggressive, stay close to your opponent, and constantly press the attack.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Is spamming attack and then hitting block when the third attack gets blocked a pretty good reflex

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Steve Yun posted:

Ok finally picked this up because it was on sale

Getting used to the very different combat and traversal

So far I’ve been getting by by sneaking up on a dude, assassinating him, jumping on a roof and waiting for the other grunts to lose interest and calm down, then sneaking up on the next target, repeat

Will I be hosed against bosses if I don’t practice head to head battle? There’s a Shinobi hunter with a spear, practice swordplay or poke his unsuspecting butt?

You will need to learn how to fight head to head but honestly fighting standard enemies isn't going to help teach you that. Bosses/minibosses all have their own rhythms and you just kind of have to learn them as you meet them. Steath to deal with regular enemies is fine and there are even a few minibosses you can cheese by taking a deathblow off from stealth so it's also useful to know how to do.

For the Shinobi hunter, it's easiest to just wait until you have Mikiri counter before facing him. He's kind of there to teach you how to use it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Thanks for the tips

I killed the shield guys before I got the axe and was like 🤷🏻‍♂️

I think the game expects you to go back to home base a lot more often

I should resurrect as often as possible, yes? No downside to it, only a downside to dying?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Steve Yun posted:

Is spamming attack and then hitting block when the third attack gets blocked a pretty good reflex

Kind of, yes. Learn the difference between enemy blocks (where you're damaging their posture) and parries (when an enemy blocks with a big flash) as these indicate when you should switch to being defensive. Ideal play in Sekiro is to smoothly switch between attack and defense based on this and minimise being passive.

It sounds like you're in the Hirata Estate memory right now, that's an optional area that you're kind of intended to bounce in and out of. It's possible to clear the whole thing as soon as you can access it but it's challenging.

e: early on yes there's no reason to not resurrect. Later on in the game you can get a couple of additional resurrection "pips", and these additional ones only regen after killing several enemies. In later multi-stage bosses I've sometimes eaten a death rather than revive and waste a pip if I've just played badly and died to something stupid. Your first resurrection pip always refreshes when you rest.

Party Boat fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Sep 20, 2023

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Desperately trying to explain to my friend who's just started that you should not be using your second life in exploration to just run back to the bonfire to reset the level, that's like the highest level of hesitation I've seen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
Yes it is hesitation and engendering of passivity and cowardice but it's also objectively the smartest thing to do if you are a new player who doesn't know the layouts and the distances between checkpoints and you want to prevent yourself from losing sen and XP from your second death.