Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
I'm driving 10 hours to pick up a car and trailer that nobody else in the family wanted after someone died. The trailer is 10 years old and sitting on the original tires that based on the known usage, it's likely to have 3000 miles on it at the absolute most. I don't see any dry rot in the pics that were sent to me today. It'd be dumb to drive on these, right? I don't really want to gently caress around with getting tires replaced while I'm trying to get everything else ready to bring home with me but I also don't want a blowout on the highway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

two_beer_bishes posted:

I'm driving 10 hours to pick up a car and trailer that nobody else in the family wanted after someone died. The trailer is 10 years old and sitting on the original tires that based on the known usage, it's likely to have 3000 miles on it at the absolute most. I don't see any dry rot in the pics that were sent to me today. It'd be dumb to drive on these, right? I don't really want to gently caress around with getting tires replaced while I'm trying to get everything else ready to bring home with me but I also don't want a blowout on the highway.

Those look completely fine to me. Just check the pressures and make sure the wheels are fastened appropriately to the axle. My worry would increase if you're planning on packing the trailer full of heavy stuff. Looks like you've got 2 wheels on each side which is a bit reassuring but also means the trailer might be bigger so who knows.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Aug 21, 2023

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
I'm going to have a 3500lb car on the trailer. I'm also fairly sure that it's the same bolt pattern as my wife's horse trailer so I might be able to talk her into letting me steal her wheels for a week (yeah right...)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

two_beer_bishes posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Automotive Insanity > AI Stupid Question Thread - my wife's horse trailer

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

two_beer_bishes posted:

I'm going to have a 3500lb car on the trailer. I'm also fairly sure that it's the same bolt pattern as my wife's horse trailer so I might be able to talk her into letting me steal her wheels for a week (yeah right...)

What you do is take two of her trailer wheels with you, just in case.

The amount of bullshit and inconvenience of setting that up should guarantee that absolutely nothing will happen throughout the course of your mission.

If you don't have AAA, get it now. That'll guarantee everything will go smoothly.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

I'd feel way better about it with spares and a jack that can pick up a loaded trailer.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

PainterofCrap posted:

What you do is take two of her trailer wheels with you, just in case.

The amount of bullshit and inconvenience of setting that up should guarantee that absolutely nothing will happen throughout the course of your mission.

If you don't have AAA, get it now. That'll guarantee everything will go smoothly.

That's a good idea, I'll plan on taking two. Already have AAA, just need to make sure it covers trailers as well (pretty sure it does re: goddamn horse trailer)

honda whisperer posted:

I'd feel way better about it with spares and a jack that can pick up a loaded trailer.

Yeah, that's absolutely coming with.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Sorry if there's a thread for this already, but it feels like a stupid question so I figured I'd start here.

I have a 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe. It's still in good shape (90k miles) and I plan on driving it for another ten years or so.

I would, however, like to upgrade the console and put something in with modern features like Apple Carplay. How do I go about doing that? Particularly, I would like to avoid paying thousands of dollars for it. Also, would it be possible to upgrade the backup camera to something more advanced without gutting the whole car for more advanced wiring or whatever? I live in Austin in case that matters.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Slow News Day posted:

Sorry if there's a thread for this already, but it feels like a stupid question so I figured I'd start here.

I have a 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe. It's still in good shape (90k miles) and I plan on driving it for another ten years or so.

I would, however, like to upgrade the console and put something in with modern features like Apple Carplay. How do I go about doing that? Particularly, I would like to avoid paying thousands of dollars for it. Also, would it be possible to upgrade the backup camera to something more advanced without gutting the whole car for more advanced wiring or whatever? I live in Austin in case that matters.
There is a thread (here), but to start you off: Go to crutchfield.com, click on Car Audio, and put in your car details to see what fits. It looks like there were a few different configs (with/without Navigation, Infinity Audio, subwoofer) that it makes it pretty easy to identify, but replacement appears to be possible for all combinations.

Depending on which combo you have and what other options (like steering wheel controls) you might need some adapters. Regardless, you'll need a headunit (the actual radio) and a harness adapter (you can just cut and splice wires, but don't. It's usually a 10-20 dollar part and it makes the install entirely reversible, and significantly easier).

If you want to do it yourself, it's generally pretty easy, but having someone who has done it before will make it a lot more comfortable. If you want to pay someone ... honestly, I don't think I have advice there. I have spent a lot of time fixing people's cars after install shops hosed them up, and I don't know exactly who I'd point someone to if they wanted a shop to do it. Look at yelp for good reviews in your area, I suppose.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

This might be too paranoid-stupid even for the stupid question thread but I'll give it a crack.

Going to try a first crack at some low hanging fruit engine bay detailing this weekend if nothing distracts me. I have a 2017 GLA45 and I've never really done any work on a "fancy" car before. Other than the obvious "don't get weird poo poo on the belts" and "don't pressure wash anything", is there anything inside a performance turbo engine I should be wary of? I think even the way I'm asking this question speaks to the fact that I just have zero understanding of what even might be under there that I could gently caress up if not careful.

I'll probably just start waterless, brush out the nooks and crannies and vacuum up anything. Maybe take some plastic cleaner on a rag to some of the hoses and the engine cover but generally I'm very wary of applying anything to anything.

I had a bad experience being a dumb kid and (garden hose, non-pressure) hosing down my old Volvo 940 engine bay and immediately having to replace a failed alternator the next day so generally yeah, I want it clean but I also don't want to gently caress anything up.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

some kinda jackal posted:

This might be too paranoid-stupid even for the stupid question thread but I'll give it a crack.

Going to try a first crack at some low hanging fruit engine bay detailing this weekend if nothing distracts me. I have a 2017 GLA45 and I've never really done any work on a "fancy" car before. Other than the obvious "don't get weird poo poo on the belts" and "don't pressure wash anything", is there anything inside a performance turbo engine I should be wary of? I think even the way I'm asking this question speaks to the fact that I just have zero understanding of what even might be under there that I could gently caress up if not careful.

I'll probably just start waterless, brush out the nooks and crannies and vacuum up anything. Maybe take some plastic cleaner on a rag to some of the hoses and the engine cover but generally I'm very wary of applying anything to anything.

I had a bad experience being a dumb kid and (garden hose, non-pressure) hosing down my old Volvo 940 engine bay and immediately having to replace a failed alternator the next day so generally yeah, I want it clean but I also don't want to gently caress anything up.

Your best bet is honestly to just find a YouTube video or two and see what they agree on. In general you can be more liberal with showering water everywhere than you could when we were kids.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That sounds about right. I think I'll do basically what you recommended, and still take it easy for a first time cleaning until I get more comfortable around the innards.

Cheers!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

That sounds about right. I think I'll do basically what you recommended, and still take it easy for a first time cleaning until I get more comfortable around the innards.

Cheers!

I bet you can find info by some dorks on some random forum.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3474488&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

You know what, I even searched the first page to make sure there wasn't one. I have no idea why I didn't think to try.. you know.. the second page of threads :lol:

Absolutely, I'll check in with the thread :cool: Thanks!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

the second page of threads

Second... Page?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Double-posting with a question. The headliner is starting to peel in the cargo area of my Cayenne. Is there any reason I shouldn't use Permatex headliner adhesive? Any special technique?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Safety Dance posted:

Double-posting with a question. The headliner is starting to peel in the cargo area of my Cayenne. Is there any reason I shouldn't use Permatex headliner adhesive? Any special technique?

Spray glues tend to work best if you can spray two surfaces, let dry till tacky then press them together.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Safety Dance posted:

Mine is doing that as well. It's that crap with the foam bonded on that everyone uses (although I'm sure that Porsche has some special name for it). The problem is that the foam is disintegrating, and applying more glue to it doesn't help because the foundation is dusty foam - it'll pull right off.

My bud used those stab-in buttons to hold his up. It still sags, like very sad button / tuck & roll, but at least his vision is no longer obstructed.

Check your local fabric store. Jo-Ann Fabrics (here in south Jersey) sells that foam-backed fabric by the bolt, in several styles & colors, including black (which works in almost anything)

My plan is to remove the headliner panel completely, strip off the fabric, scrape off any foam residue, prep with alcohol, and use 3m spray adhesive to lay down a new liner.

I'm also motivated by the 1x1 hole where there used to be an Audiovox ceiling-mounted DVD player that some hack (dealer) installed using plywood and (no poo poo) deck screws.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Aug 24, 2023

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I'm so glad I don't have to deal with that BS. Common problem on my model of car but the PO actually did the job for me. And a pretty decent effort too.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
I got a 2012 TSX wagon that’s making a subtle knocking sound in the front suspension. I put tein coilovers on it about 10k miles ago, but I only started noticing it a few days ago. The car is about an inch lower than stock, and my tires are one size smaller in diameter than stock (couldn’t find BfG gforce comps in the stock size anywhere when i needed new rubber last year), so I think it’s possible that this set up put additional stress on ancillary suspension parts.

The noise: It kinda sounds like a two-tone knock instead of a singular clunk, almost like something popping out then into place. it’s pretty quiet and i only hear it when driving under 15mph; i only hear it on small bumps or road imperfections/undulations, whereas larger bumps or potholes just sound like standard suspension clunks. Over a particularly bumpy stretch of road, the noise can reach a higher frequency, almost like an inconsistent rattle, although the tone is flatter and deeper than a rattle.

I don’t have my jack with me, but I snagged this pic of the passenger upper control arm, and the bushing/boot looks like it’s torn.

Anything else I can try to diagnose without buying a new jack?

https://imgur.io/a/Tny6LIc

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

A little grease has leaked out, but a tear that small will take a while to collect enough crap under the boot to cause a problem.

Sounds like sway bar end links

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

PainterofCrap posted:

A little grease has leaked out, but a tear that small will take a while to collect enough crap under the boot to cause a problem.

Sounds like sway bar end links

I'd look at sway bar end links first too.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Is there a kei truck thread somewhere? I'm considering getting one for my mom's house up in the country, mostly for puttering around the yard + some driving around on woods roads + just having an extra car when we are there. Basically looking for a Polaris/Mule alternative that doesn't cost 5 figures. It would potentially sit for a month or three at a time unused-is that a huge issue or does keeping it on a battery keeper handle that? It doesn't look like ground clearance is all that great at 6-7"-can I put bigger tires on to help with that or would that require a lift or something? Anything else I should know about them? They seem like a good solution for my needs.

E: I don't know much about cars and would likely not be doing any work/maintenance on it myself-are they basic enough that a normal rural small town mechanic could work on them? I have a great mechanic where I live, but that's a few hours of interstate away from where the truck would be living.

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Aug 25, 2023

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Is there a kei truck thread somewhere? I'm considering getting one for my mom's house up in the country, mostly for puttering around the yard + some driving around on woods roads + just having an extra car when we are there. Basically looking for a Polaris/Mule alternative that doesn't cost 5 figures.

That would be difficult because they are gaining in popularity now so the prices reflect it.

Honestly I'd look around for an old Geo Tracker/Suzuki Sidekick or something similar, would be WAY more comfortable to drive as well, kei trucks are fun to drive at first but it gets old pretty quick if you're 6 foot or taller

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Is there a kei truck thread somewhere? I'm considering getting one for my mom's house up in the country, mostly for puttering around the yard + some driving around on woods roads + just having an extra car when we are there. Basically looking for a Polaris/Mule alternative that doesn't cost 5 figures. It would potentially sit for a month or three at a time unused-is that a huge issue or does keeping it on a battery keeper handle that? It doesn't look like ground clearance is all that great at 6-7"-can I put bigger tires on to help with that or would that require a lift or something? Anything else I should know about them? They seem like a good solution for my needs.

E: I don't know much about cars and would likely not be doing any work/maintenance on it myself-are they basic enough that a normal rural small town mechanic could work on them? I have a great mechanic where I live, but that's a few hours of interstate away from where the truck would be living.

they don't seem that hard to get (theres a whole bunch for sale up and down the east coast). The only one I'd really consider is a Subaru Sambar at like $7000-12000.

Parts are readily available but they have to come from Japan, so lol at being small-town rural mechanic friendly.

Just pick up an old B-series (ford rangers are more common, mazda are more cool) or toyota truck.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I don't think they're too tough to work on but I question importing one if you're not mechanically inclined yourself. I imagine a lot of shops won't touch it and you'll need to actively find a shop that will do that kind of work. They're fairly basic, but there aren't really that much in the way of English language resources available for them, and many of the systems did not come in to other US market cars.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

If you're trying to stay under 10k, you might be able to make do with a Honda fourtrax+trailer. Depends how much you're hauling around.

Or an older gator, especially if there's a John Deere dealer nearby for parts access.

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Aug 25, 2023

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

The appeal of a kei truck is the small size (length especially) vs. a normal pickup truck (I already have an 8' bed pickup if I need that, though it doesn't live up there), ability to be street legal on a normal road, and cost. I really don't want to have to deal with a trailer (especially turning one around) on small woods roads cutting firewood or something, plus my mother has an irrational hatred of 4 wheelers. To get a UTV with comparable bed capacity seems to get expensive fast (at least from a quick scan of manufacturer's websites-haven't looked at the used market on those at all). Fully enclosed cab on a kei truck seems appealing too?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I don't think they're too tough to work on but I question importing one if you're not mechanically inclined yourself. I imagine a lot of shops won't touch it and you'll need to actively find a shop that will do that kind of work. They're fairly basic, but there aren't really that much in the way of English language resources available for them, and many of the systems did not come in to other US market cars.
I definitely wouldn't be importing it myself-there seem to be a fair few places that sell them. Good to know that a mechanic in Bumfuckia might not know much about them tho.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
is there any point to continuing work on this 1993 Nissan pickup that's dumping white smoke from the exhaust whenever it's running?

until very recently it hadn't been regularly started/run for a couple of years. the exhaust doesn't smell, to me, sweet like coolant. it smells like car exhaust I guess. there's no milkshake in the radiator. it looks like when you dump Sea Foam into a lawnmower but it doesn't seem to stop.

my brain jumps to the conclusion that the head gasket is boned but I dunno.
this is a beater truck, is it worth doing a diy gasket job on? I'm not gonna have the money to take it to a machine shop to get the fine work done on it, it'd be a backyard thing. it doesn't have to run beautifully, just get me places and do stuff.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I definitely wouldn't be importing it myself-there seem to be a fair few places that sell them. Good to know that a mechanic in Bumfuckia might not know much about them tho.

Not only would they not know about them but there's basically nowhere you could take it and leave your credit card and say 'just fix it'. I had an imported (to Canada) RHD 98 Subaru WRX STI and any little thing was a massive headache to get fixed, like getting a new power steering pump. Even the JDM shops in Vancouver had issues figuring out what gaskets were needed for my specific car, not to mention trying to get my timing belt done. You end up online a ton looking at some of the worst forums on the planet trying to somehow figure all this out, reading completely contradictory firsthand accounts, and then after all that the dealerships want absolutely nothing to do with you and often can't even use your VIN to pull part numbers or anything.

I'm not an anxious guy at all, but every little vibration, smell, sound in that car made me take a bite out of my seat.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3829078

:eng101:

It's less kei truck related but still relevant, especially on the parts front.

Re: if it's a good idea, probably not. If you want to get a kei truck then get a kei truck. There are plenty of people and shops that will work on them, but it isn't ever going to be a chain place and it WILL have to be something you put work into. It's just a truck, it isn't special outside of 'lol tiny' and packaging and if the mechanic you bring it to knows that. Some just want to change wiper blades, but others want to wrench on weird things like the guy in town that I've been able to bring lots of JDM stuff to. Then again, I am also there with all the parts and things to cut out all that particular work and they can just get to wrenchin'. Your reasons for wanting a kei truck are the same reasons there are so many here in the USA, they are far better than any side by side UTV whatever the poo poo. Plus, lights, wipers, enclosed cabin and if you play it right, AC!
Your main issue will be if you want to be the point of contact for when the truck does anything weird when your mom has a problem.

VelociBacon posted:

Not only would they not know about them but there's basically nowhere you could take it and leave your credit card and say 'just fix it'. I had an imported (to Canada) RHD 98 Subaru WRX STI and any little thing was a massive headache to get fixed, like getting a new power steering pump. Even the JDM shops in Vancouver had issues figuring out what gaskets were needed for my specific car, not to mention trying to get my timing belt done. You end up online a ton looking at some of the worst forums on the planet trying to somehow figure all this out, reading completely contradictory firsthand accounts, and then after all that the dealerships want absolutely nothing to do with you and often can't even use your VIN to pull part numbers or anything.

I'm not an anxious guy at all, but every little vibration, smell, sound in that car made me take a bite out of my seat.

Valid concerns, but a 98 WRX STI is not even close to the same league as a made-for-hard-commercial-work kei truck.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
yeah parts availability / lookup is a nightmare

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Thanks for all the info! Sounds like as ideal as the form factor of a kei truck seems to be, the support and maintenance aspects are probably more than I want to deal with. Some sort of used UTV seems like probably the next best option I guess.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I misread under 5 figures as under 5 grand for some reason lol.

You could easily find a decent Jeep Wrangler for under 10 grand.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Thanks for all the info! Sounds like as ideal as the form factor of a kei truck seems to be, the support and maintenance aspects are probably more than I want to deal with. Some sort of used UTV seems like probably the next best option I guess.

I’m p sure that a 4cyl B series is gonna be substantially smaller than your 8ft bed truck, and she’ll be able to get it fixed literally anywhere

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen

Sarah Cenia posted:

is there any point to continuing work on this 1993 Nissan pickup that's dumping white smoke from the exhaust whenever it's running?

until very recently it hadn't been regularly started/run for a couple of years. the exhaust doesn't smell, to me, sweet like coolant. it smells like car exhaust I guess. there's no milkshake in the radiator. it looks like when you dump Sea Foam into a lawnmower but it doesn't seem to stop.

my brain jumps to the conclusion that the head gasket is boned but I dunno.
this is a beater truck, is it worth doing a diy gasket job on? I'm not gonna have the money to take it to a machine shop to get the fine work done on it, it'd be a backyard thing. it doesn't have to run beautifully, just get me places and do stuff.

Check the plugs and plug holes after it’s sat after running. It’s probably leaking down one cylinder, or maybe sending a little through the intake.

If you have the know how to do a backyard head gasket, and the engine hasn’t overheated, just go for it. You don’t have much to lose.

I know shops love to deck every head when doing these jobs, but no OEM I’ve worked for, including Nissan, spec’d it for warranty jobs. Just make sure it’s perfectly clean and follow the torque procedures.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title
Is there any reason why I shouldn't buy a set of 4 tires and store them in my garage?

Context: All four tires on my car are nearing the end of their life. From what I've read, fall is a good time to buy tires as far as prices go. The plan is to buy a set of 4 some time in September or October when prices are good, and get them installed early next year.

I'm wondering if tires "degrade" or something if they aren't under pressure/used/etc. I'm assuming they don't, but I don't want to make extensive assumptions.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
They will not degrade any more than they would sitting in that same garage attached to a parked car. As long as you're storing them indoors and your garage/shed/whatever isn't some leaky mess you're probably matching or beating the conditions they're stored in before they get to you.

I have no idea how much of a price difference there might be, but if you have the space and it's enough to matter to you it's not a bad plan.

Here's what Michelin has to say about tire storage: https://www.michelinman.com/auto/auto-tips-and-advice/tire-maintenance/tire-storage

tl;dr: Like almost everything else, clean, cool, dark, low humidity.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Sarah Cenia posted:

Is your coolant level actually going down?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Whats a good way of splicing a wire to another wire?
Adding something to my boat and it needs a keyed source of power.

The part came with a self stripping splice connector. I'm better than using that bullshit except in an emergency.

So basically my options are:

Extend the wire to the key switch and if accessible attach to it with a ring/spade/whatever terminal, the preferable option.

Or, splice (Tee in to) the power wire for the accessory to whatever random wire that I can find that has 12v with the key on. The less preferable option, but if I have to do it, I want to make sure its water tight.

Being on a boat, I'm going to assume these wires may get wet at any time and thus I need them to be as waterproof as possible.