Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
okay okay i'll eat my hat on this one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Nodosaur posted:

that is hilarious. what's it from?
Captain America and The Mighty Avengers #1

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Assepoester posted:

Captain America and The Mighty Avengers #1

cool. do you recommend that run?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Nodosaur posted:

It's Al Ewing, so yes.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Heard somewhere that in a very early X-Men issue, Xavier had Jean Grey practicing her telekinesis by using it to sew while the rest of the team used the Danger Room.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Fantastic Four sucks rear end.

Nodosaur posted:

I swear to god Brie Larsen lives rent free in idiots’ heads, because all I did was compare my image of two characters in a fan project to Ms Marvel and Captain Marvel, and someone immediately chimed in to demand I not mean the MCU versions because she “has the emotional range of a brick”.

She did the worst crime imaginable: She said white men aren't the only thing that matters.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

glitchwraith posted:

Heard somewhere that in a very early X-Men issue, Xavier had Jean Grey practicing her telekinesis by using it to sew while the rest of the team used the Danger Room.

In a vacuum, practicing fine control of your burgeoning telekinetic power by sewing is a great idea.

Making the only woman on the team do it while the boys go play heroes is pretty on point for old comics.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Nodosaur posted:

Haven't actually read it but it's an Avengers book where Spider-Man is on the team so it can't possibly be bad

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Lobok posted:

Over in the Avengers, Janet's characterization was pretty tough to read and I was never into classic X-Men but I can't imagine Jean or the team's treatment of her was something to admire either.

Jan's evolution from 1960s celebutante into "She takes the Avengers more seriously than anyone else because it's her main thing in life" is pretty neat, something that I think they kinda tried to apply to Black Widow in the movies (but it didn't really work, because going from being a black ops type to being a superhero is less of a dramatic shift)

and they did a cool modern reinterpretation on with Earth's Mightiest Heroes

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

FlamingLiberal posted:

There have been a lot of reports that Aquaman 2 has tested horribly with test audiences so maybe the studio just doesn’t feel like shoveling more money into a failed project like they did with Flash

There's probably a tax thing, too. Dune is going to make a lot of money and WB wants to look like they're making less right now. Aquaman is not going to be a problem in that regard

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
By the time it ended, The Meg 2: The Trench was a goddamn comic book movie, with jason statham basically using a buster sword to kill a giant shark. No joke, this is one of the best movies I've seen all year and I wish I had seen it in the theater instead of renting it on Amazon. As soon as he goes swimming at 25,000 feet below the surface with no pressure suit, the movie loses all sense of self respect and is the better for it. You don't strictly need to have seen the first one to enjoy this, but a couple of the jokes are going to hit harder if you have.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Nodosaur posted:

It's very good, but I'd recommend reading Ewing's Mighty Avengers before it. The only reason I recommend it is because Ewing loves carrying over concepts and plot elements from one book to another, and while you'll never be lost if when one pops up again if you choose to skip a story, it makes a nice easter egg. I mean for Christ's sake he had the Tiger God pop up again in Defenders Beyond almost 10 years after doing his first story with it in Mighty Avengers. Dude loving loves that god/character/concept.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Aug 26, 2023

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Assepoester posted:

Sometimes you can acknowledge it as part of the character's history

Given that specific wording one might think it came more from Steve Ditko.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Soonmot posted:

By the time it ended, The Meg 2: The Trench was a goddamn comic book movie, with jason statham basically using a buster sword to kill a giant shark. No joke, this is one of the best movies I've seen all year and I wish I had seen it in the theater instead of renting it on Amazon. As soon as he goes swimming at 25,000 feet below the surface with no pressure suit, the movie loses all sense of self respect and is the better for it. You don't strictly need to have seen the first one to enjoy this, but a couple of the jokes are going to hit harder if you have.

I saw it last week (without having seen the first) and I’m in complete agreement. Him finally getting rid of his human enemy and saying so long, chum had me pumping my first in the theater.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
an honest laugh out loud moment in a movie that had a few of those.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

glitchwraith posted:

Source on this? Honestly, Hanks as Barry Allen (edit: or Jay Garrick) would have been inspired casting, though I can't really imagine what a 90s Flash movie would have looked like. Also not sure what Batman villain I'd want him to play. Maybe a different take on Hugo Strange?

Ventriloquist. I'm not even joking I think that would rule.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Jamesman posted:

That was my first instinct too, this or Mad Hatter. Give him a role which lets him act the gently caress out of poo poo but without needing to go on the Hollywood abs training regime. Ventriloquist in particular could be dark, funny, full of pathos, just so many options for an actor of Hanks' ability to make him one of the most memorable Batman villains.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Aphrodite posted:

:getout:

E. Revenant
Aug 26, 2002

If the abyss gazes long into you then stare right back;
make it blink.

Jamesman posted:

Holy poo poo yes! The Ventriloquiest/Scarface is one of those Batman villains that makes it very clear that they are themselves a victim of their own psychosis. It would take a movie structured almost completely different than the ones we have gotten so far but it's very ripe ground if done well.

If done well.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Hear me out: Clayface!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Reminder for anyone unaware: Tomorrow is National Cinema Day (in the US) and you can get $4 movie tickets at most theaters. Plus a lot of cinemas are putting some of the biggest movies back in theaters for another screening.

What I'm saying is whether you want to actually want to actually watch Blue Beetle or watch Spider-Verse again or say gently caress all that to comic book movies and watch Barbenheimer on the cheap, shoot your shot.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

TwoPair posted:

Reminder for anyone unaware: Tomorrow is National Cinema Day (in the US) and you can get $4 movie tickets at most theaters. Plus a lot of cinemas are putting some of the biggest movies back in theaters for another screening.

What I'm saying is whether you want to actually want to actually watch Blue Beetle or watch Spider-Verse again or say gently caress all that to comic book movies and watch Barbenheimer on the cheap, shoot your shot.
I am seeing tmnt I think. Haven’t seen spider-verse, but would if my theater still had it.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Jurassic Park is back in theaters, and the 3D is decent.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dawgstar posted:

Given that specific wording one might think it came more from Steve Ditko.
With how Marvel comics were made at that point, it's a little hard to pin anything on anyone, but Brian Cronin points it mostly at Ditko given the art, with Lee playing cleanup as best he could in the dialog he wrote in afterward.

https://www.cbr.com/spider-man-steve-ditko-plot-change-regretted/

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Aphrodite posted:

ban this philistine immediately

also, Tom Hanks for Black Fox as long as its' not some garbage Sony Spider-Man-without-Spider-Man thing

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Tom Hanks as Professor Pyg. This is the best casting but DC/Warner have already proven themselves cowards for when it comes to anything Tom Hanks.

La Louve Rouge
Jun 25, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Madkal posted:

Tom Hanks as Professor Pyg. This is the best casting but DC/Warner have already proven themselves cowards for when it comes to anything Tom Hanks.

Holy poo poo he could even do his silly accent from The Terminal it'd own

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Saw Blue Beetle today. Was surprised how much I liked it, I don't know why my expectations were so low, maybe just because DC has just had such a long string of Ls. Got a little cliche and I felt like killing Jaime's dad was kind of unnecessary but I really hope this isn't the last we see of this cast because the whole Reyes family is pretty great. And yeah there definitely isn't anything that would prevent a sequel from getting caught up in all this universe/regime change poo poo going on aside from the mention that Superman, Batman, and Flash all exist but thankfully there's no like, Wonder Woman cameos that will really stick it with the corpse of the DCEU.

Also saw Jurassic Park 3D but that's not really thread relevant. It was okay, but honestly I had more fun watching Jaws 3D last year as far as my "3D conversion of a classic Spielberg movie" experiences go.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Aug 28, 2023

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The Wonder Woman cameo should’ve been the lady with the website in the flash.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I want to apologize to the Latino community for turning them into a joke for Blue Beetle, a terrible movie. JFC.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I saw the Flash, and gosh that was an unlikable movie. I wanted something on in the background while I did some work, and it never pulled me in enough to actually like the main character. Maybe its on me and I wasn't in a mood for a movie like this, but it felt very long and very big budget for the light, wacky movie it was maybe trying to be. Like it's a great example of how hard it is to do comedy.
The Kara-El stuff was fun. The Chronodome stuff felt like planet plot-device, it was different but uninspired.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
JFC Blue Beetle is terrible.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

StumblyWumbly posted:

I saw the Flash, and gosh that was an unlikable movie. I wanted something on in the background while I did some work, and it never pulled me in enough to actually like the main character. Maybe its on me and I wasn't in a mood for a movie like this, but it felt very long and very big budget for the light, wacky movie it was maybe trying to be. Like it's a great example of how hard it is to do comedy.
The Kara-El stuff was fun. The Chronodome stuff felt like planet plot-device, it was different but uninspired.

While I think the Flash sucks, I can’t take any feedback about a film seriously when it starts with “I put it on in the background”. Being a good background movie is a great trait, but it shouldn’t be how you judge the merits of the film itself.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
That says it wasn't good even as a background movie though

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

It does. My opinion is testing something as a background movie isn't a good way to judge a film you've never watched before and it's hard to know what to pay attention to what not to pay attention to. For me a background movie is something I'm familiar with so I know when to pay attention or not to. Maybe just my personal preference.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Some people dug up an old James Gunn Facebook post from 12 years ago and are getting mad because he says that the Tim Burton Batman sucked and he didn't like Michael Keaton's Batman or Jack Nicholson's Joker.

Some people are also speculating that he pushed to cut a lot of the Keaton Batman scenes from The Flash, Aquaman 2, and Shazam 2 and had Keaton die in The Flash to sabotage any attempts to bring Keaton back.

https://twitter.com/SamuEl_KentMan/status/1696046342705922204
https://twitter.com/pingpongflix/status/1695861853363319224
https://twitter.com/niklander2/status/1696031076278268360
https://twitter.com/rubenthecuban97/status/1696005756615582011

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Aug 28, 2023

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
These tweets have like 20 likes what are you doing

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

mycot posted:

These tweets have like 20 likes what are you doing

There's a bunch of articles about it and those tweets are just examples.

I actually agree with him about the Joker killing Bruce's parents and Keaton's voice, but the Danny Elfman score slaps.

quote:

James Gunn REALLY Doesn't Like Tim Burton's BATMAN

For many, Tim Burton's 1989 Batman is still the best live-action take on the iconic DC Comics hero, and Michael Keaton's interpretation of the title character is still held up as the quintessential Caped Crusader.

Even those who wouldn't put Batman '89 (or its sequel, Batman Returns) on such a high pedestal would tend to appreciate what Burton was able to achieve by bringing a darker, noir-inspired version of the Dark Knight to the big screen for the first time, but the man who currently (co)holds the keys to the new DCU kingdom sees things a little differently.

A decade-old Facebook post from James Gunn has resurfaced, and the Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 director does not hold back in his criticisms of Burton's Batman movies. It doesn't sound like he's a huge fan of Christopher Nolan's first two films (this appears to be prior to The Dark Knight Rises' release) either.

A lot of DC fans have taken issue with Gunn's remarks, with some going so far as to call for him to be removed from his position as co-CEO of DC Studios. We have no idea why someone sharing their opinion on a 30-year-old movie somehow makes them unqualified to run a studio, but it's certainly understandable that Batman '89 aficionados would vehemently disagree with and feel compelled to challenge his comments.

https://comicbookmovie.com/batman/batman-1989/james-gunn-really-doesnt-like-tim-burtons-batman-a205300

quote:

James Gunn calls Batman movie “awful” in divisive resurfaced comments

In three resurfaced screenshots shared by @MyTimeToShineHello and other users, Gunn rips into Tim Burton’s first Batman movie with Michael Keaton in lengthy, harsh detail. “No wonder James Gunn loved The Flash so much,” they tweeted, alluding to Keaton’s Batman dying in the new film.

https://www.dexerto.com/tv-movies/james-gunn-batman-michael-keaton-tim-burton-movie-criticism-2267779/

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Aug 28, 2023

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Go away leon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
The people who hate Gunn (Snyder fans) are insane. That’s all. End of story. No need to think about it any longer.