Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I've had the outdoor research tall gaiters for winter for probably 10 years at this point and they've held up great and work really well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I have the high REI gaiters for snow and crappy offbrand low-cut ones for dirt and scree during summer. The REI ones aren't as breathable as gotetex but if you're wearing snow pants then its not gonna be the limfac, imo. They work fine for keeping things out.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Nthing OR tall gaiters. Never a failure in mine, hunting, hiking, snowshoeing

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Also, OR is having an annual sale right now and a large number of their gaiters are on significant sale 40%+), fyi. OR also has an amazing warranty program that will give you original MSRP+ sales tax, regardless of where you originally bought it from. I highly highly recommend their stuff.

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:
The OR ferrosi hybrid gaiters are actually pretty nice, I don't really know why the reviews are all dumping on them but they've been holding up just fine for me over 100+ miles by now.

Aragosta
May 12, 2001

hiding in plain sight
I appreciate the boot discussion. I've been wanting a new pair for a couple of months and in July I had two falls/slips hiking due to my old boots wearing out. The second one was enough to stop me for almost two weeks from hiking.

Anyway, I drove 45 miles today to the closest REI store and tried to get away with getting the REI branded clearance boots for$75, but they only went up to 13 and were just to small. Ended up with a pair of Salomon X ULTRA 4 MID in 14's. I'm quite excited to put them to use this week.

Comparison of my old crappy Columbia boots.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's a very good boot, the GTX version is my winter hiker.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
Not quite sure if this counts as Backpacking/Camping Gear, but figured I'd ask here just in case: I have some fancy technical sorta-jeans from Western Rise that I mostly like, part Nylon/part Elastane. My one problem: they're black, and sunscreen stains the gently caress out of them. Like, it seems to come out in the wash (at least so far) with some assistance of a Tide To Go pen, but it's literally like if I put sunscreen on my arm, and then twenty minutes later brush something off my pants with that arm, there'll be a whole bunch of sunscreen residue left on the pants. It makes them basically unwearable in the summer for me, as a pale-as-hell person who has to top up on sunscreen every hour.

I'm trying to figure out what exactly causes this problem so I can avoid it. I assume it's a materials issue, since I have some black cotton shorts that don't have this problem at all - like, on those it'll leave a bit of residue, but the kind you can literally just apply water to and it goes away. Is this a common problem with technical fabrics? If I got it in lighter colors would it at least not be as visible?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Does your sunscreen have a lot of zinc in it?
Maybe try a laundry stain remover or different sunscreen or both.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

REI Labor Day sale is on soon! Any awesome deals jumping out at anyone?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I might get a Nalgene I guess. I had my smartwater bottle spring a leak on me on my last trip and think I'm going to switch back to the standard wide mouth Nalgene.

I've gone on a recent gear splurge. I've got a SWD Rugged Long Haul on order, a new 40F down hammock gear set, and a puukko knife all headed my way! All funded by selling old gear thankfully.

If anyone is interested in a 40F apex hammock quilt set let me know. Got to make some room now.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I might get a Nalgene I guess. I had my smartwater bottle spring a leak on me on my last trip and think I'm going to switch back to the standard wide mouth Nalgene.

I recently got a narrow mouth nalgene for the first time and I like drinking from it so much more than the wide. So does my kid.

I also tied a bottle sling to its neck and highly recommend.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
Yeah but my msr pump filter and our gravity filter already have attachments that go directly on my wife and I's two wide mouth nalgenes so I don't see myself switching from them.

My wife got the little "easy sipper" that goes into the wide mouth bottle and she much prefers it that way.

Personally I like the chugability of the unfettered wide mouth and see the bit of water that leaks out onto my chin and chest as free Air conditioning :sickos:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I like the widemouth for drinking too, but given that after all this time there is still no readily available / first party widmouth-to-28mm adapter so you can plug a sawyer right into the lid is absurd. Sure there's etsy solutions and 3d printed solutions but nalgene allegedly makes the most popular water bottle in the world and they can't be arsed to make a converter for the most popular backpacking water filter?

So my solution is a vecto->squeeze->hose->nalgene like some kind of street urchin.

xzzy fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Aug 22, 2023

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

xzzy posted:

So my solution is a vecto->squeeze->hose->nalgene like some kind of street urchin.

This works fine, it never even occurred to me to want an adapter to bolt them together? Just seems like unnecessary weight.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm not really a gram counter but I feel like the hose+hose attachment would weigh about the same as a sawyer->widemouth lid.

For me it's more about clumsiness. I've bumped the nalgene a few times while refilling and have to start all over.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
I don't use a hose even, I just squirt from the sawyer into the nalgene.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

armorer posted:

I don't use a hose even, I just squirt from the sawyer into the nalgene.

it me.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I am being schooled by my betters.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

xzzy posted:

I like the widemouth for drinking too, but given that after all this time there is still no readily available / first party widmouth-to-28mm adapter so you can plug a sawyer right into the lid is absurd. Sure there's etsy solutions and 3d printed solutions but nalgene allegedly makes the most popular water bottle in the world and they can't be arsed to make a converter for the most popular backpacking water filter?

It’s important to remember that reusable drinking bottles are a very very very small part of the Nalgene brand (now owned by Thermo Fisher Scientific). Their bread and butter is laboratory plastic ware, which they sell at a much higher volume. I won’t say Nalgene doesn’t care about the filter you’re talking about, but rather that they probably don’t know about it. If they did, I don’t know if the few thousand units they’d ship per year would make them move a muscle.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

xzzy posted:

I am being schooled by my betters.

Definitely not my intention. If you want such an adapter, go for it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

armorer posted:

Definitely not my intention. If you want such an adapter, go for it.

Just being facetious, sorry. I still like the idea of a lid but I see the alternatives too.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Just got a birthday gift card from my in laws to REI.

I guess I'll just hang onto it since I need nothing.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

So the Sawyer nalgene adaptor doesn't have the narrow mouth option nested on the inside of the widemouth like Pur/Katadyn? That seems like a silly oversight.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Aug 25, 2023

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Verman posted:

Just got a birthday gift card from my in laws to REI.

I guess I'll just hang onto it since I need nothing.

You forgot about the upcoming Labor Day sale! You fool!

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
Think I'm going to pick up a set of lowa tibets from the us. Currently on sale for $75usd, full price 150. Will probably cost me another 70 for shipping and take about 2 months to get here.

They're $472usd here in nz, sometimes I hate living on this loving island.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Labor Day sale started today. I ordered a Yakima cargo box for my car to pick up in store. I got there at noon and the place was fully mobbed.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
I’m thinking about getting the REI wonderland X tent for car camping. Someone talk me out of it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

FogHelmut posted:

Labor Day sale started today. I ordered a Yakima cargo box for my car to pick up in store. I got there at noon and the place was fully mobbed.

REI is not fun during the big sales. It's almost worth paying extra to be in there when it's chill.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

xzzy posted:

REI is not fun during the big sales. It's almost worth paying extra to be in there when it's chill.

5+ years ago I'd go to the garage sales and scored a lot of great stuff that I still use today. I got my big Kingdom tent at one that we still use car camping, a big two burner stove, etc. All in great shape returned for BS reasons.

Now it's just to much of a zoo to even try and I feel like they take the best used stuff to sell online.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

My local stores don't do garage sales anymore. They just stick the returns on a shelf with a discount. It's my favorite part of the store.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

xzzy posted:

The good news is they're opening a new REI only 10 minutes from my house, should take some pressure off. The current closest one is 30 minutes away.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
My office is a 5 minute walk from the flagship store in Seattle. It's too convenient.

They used to do a garage sale every year and you could score really great stuff but it got too popular and it was always a zoo. Now they just have a garage section in the store for used stuff and it's fantastic. I got my Nemo hornet tent ($375?) for $100 and my osprey Atmos 65 ($265?) for $100. Both were brand new, used once and returned for bullshit reasons (too light and fit wasn't comfortable). They still had the tags on the pack and stuff sack.

My guess is someone bought them for a trip and returned it when they got back vs renting.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The Denver flagship kinda sucks. Sure it looks awesome and they got a cool climbing wall but if you actually want to buy a thing their inventory is pretty limited (unless you want clothes, like 2/3 the store is clothing racks).

The Greenwood store is much better. Haven't been to the third one yet.

Beezus
Sep 11, 2018

I never said I was a role model.

So I went on my first overnight backpacking trip in a loooooong time and borrowed my friend's Jetboil. It was so idiot proof aka perfect for me that it just about sold me on it. I never do anything fancier than boil water when I'm on the trail, so I'm trying to find some deal-breaking reason to not get one, because I really do want to get one and don't have a stove of my own yet. Wondering if there's a gotcha to this thing I'm not aware of? I know the system is pretty proprietary and it's not super versatile, and I'm okay with that. I'm just not sure if there's something else I'm missing.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Jetboil is amazing at boiling water. It's optimized for it, faster and more fuel efficient than a backpacking stove. The downside is you can't do anything but boil water... If you're just reconstituting backpacker meals and making coffee/oatmeal, i have only heard good things about it. But if you ever want to heat up a can of chili or boil pasta, you're out of luck.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Yeah the JetBoil is great at one thing and one thing only, and thats boiling water.

Only other con on it is that it, like a lot of canister stoves, can be a bit tippy. So just keep that in mind.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I find it better to cook in my pot, it feels more stabile to have a solid pot with some actual structure over trying to balance a floppy cook bag on a knee.

But yeah traditional stoves are slower and less efficient. And you have to use some water to clean the pot out which can be a concern if you’re not near any sources. It’s not THAT much water to clean, but it is worth thinking about.

So you gotta pick which benefits you want more.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I own way more stoves than anyone ought to. Collecting stoves is a sub hobby within my hiking hobby.

I've restored 3 old vintage stoves now too. My latest is this cool little espresso maker:

Thats the before pic. Its still in progress, going to try and sandblast and powder coat the case.

I switch my stoves up quite a bit but my go to right now is a Firebox Nano with Trangia. If I'm doing a high mileage trip I'll opt for my MiniBullDesigns Elite stove, and for winter its the MSR XGK to melt snow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beezus
Sep 11, 2018

I never said I was a role model.

alnilam posted:

Jetboil is amazing at boiling water. It's optimized for it, faster and more fuel efficient than a backpacking stove. The downside is you can't do anything but boil water... If you're just reconstituting backpacker meals and making coffee/oatmeal, i have only heard good things about it. But if you ever want to heat up a can of chili or boil pasta, you're out of luck.

Yep, I pretty much only bring backpacker meals, or food I can eat without prep/heating. So I really just need a boil water machine. Sounds like this might be the winner.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Only other con on it is that it, like a lot of canister stoves, can be a bit tippy. So just keep that in mind.

I noticed this and it made me a little nervy, especially since I had a big golden retriever sniffing around. I thought maybe going for a smaller model might reduce the tipping hazard, but I'm not super keen on sacrificing water capacity.