Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favourite Kirby Super Star power?
This poll is closed.
Beam 3 1.79%
Bomb 3 1.79%
Cook 1 0.60%
Copy 3 1.79%
Crash 1 0.60%
Cutter 5 2.98%
Fighter 5 2.98%
Fire 3 1.79%
Hammer 13 7.74%
Ice 3 1.79%
Jet 3 1.79%
Mike (sic) 14 8.33%
Mirror 11 6.55%
Ninja 5 2.98%
Paint 0 0%
Parasol 2 1.19%
Plasma 4 2.38%
Sleep 9 5.36%
Starship 5 2.98%
Stone 6 3.57%
Suplex 22 13.10%
Sword 20 11.90%
Wheel 6 3.57%
Wing 6 3.57%
Yo-Yo 15 8.93%
Total: 168 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Duck Tales Remastered is harder than I was expecting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

ymgve posted:

Are there many level 1-6 spells that haven't been included? I feel like there are just too many of them at times.

There's a lot of dog poo poo spells

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dabir posted:

It's basically still a NES game with a new coat of paint

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Dabir posted:

Duck Souls

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Virt is obviously one of the best there is at his thing, but I was amazed just how accurate the 8bit version of Mount Vesuvius is to the sound and spirit of the game. Its an original track for a new level in the Remaster, but it sounds like its straight from the original. Im still not sure how he did it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SlCRkgmuujc

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

frytechnician posted:

This absolutely sucks and gigantic game lengths are nothing to crow about. I have no idea why game companies do this, you don't get the movie industry talking about how long their movies are or a novelist being proud their new book is 6000+ pages.

Skyrim has sold 60 million copies and a lot of those are from people who don't play tons of games because they can buy one and spend years plinking away at it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

The guy basically said that the game "really started" when you beat the campaign, which is something people frequently say about Bethesda open world games. I have no idea why it was spun as the game literally being over 100 hours long, except Kotaku.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

frytechnician posted:

You know what game was the perfect length? Shadow of the Colossus.

You think? To me there were definitely a couple of loser colossi I wouldn’t mind deleting

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The guy basically said that the game "really started" when you beat the campaign, which is something people frequently say about Bethesda open world games. I have no idea why it was spun as the game literally being over 100 hours long, except Kotaku.

The quotes in the article straight up say there are 150+ hours of content and the campaign is 40-50 of them.

And the thing that everyone says about Bethesda campaigns is that they're the worst part of the game and you should ignore them and gently caress around with side content instead

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

AceOfFlames posted:

Maybe not in explicit terms but both movies and games are now made with the mentality of "people have very little time and money to play games/watch movies any given year so we must throw everything into making sure they only consume OUR games/movies".

eh with movies there's a bit of an upper limit. at least for the very popular stuff when you get to something that's like 3 hours long they wind up making all kinds of excuses about it

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Lol what, nobody thinks that about their games

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

130hrs of setting up addons to make it playable

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

frytechnician posted:

you don't get the movie industry talking about how long their movies are

The size and weight of IMAX reels was absolutely part of the Oppenheimer marketing lol

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Christmas with the Clumps famously marketed itself on its big cast

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
The whole thing that Bethesda games do that no other game seems to is that the primary storyline is just another quest you can start or completely ignore at your leisure. There's no such thing as a side quest or a main quest, really. But the original video makes it clear that his point is not "You need to play for 130 hours before it gets good" but rather the completely opposite "You can spend 80 hours doing whatever you want before you even start the main quest if you want, and then another 50 on the main quest if you want".

https://twitter.com/TheRealDfea/status/1694764247492792683

The quote about "doesn't really get going until you finish the main quest" sounds more like he's trying to say that the main quest is impactful without saying anything about it because it's spoilery. It also looks like he kind of regretted saying it the second it came out of his mouth. Maybe the Kotaku headlines were flashing before his eyes.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Srice posted:

eh with movies there's a bit of an upper limit. at least for the very popular stuff when you get to something that's like 3 hours long they wind up making all kinds of excuses about it

I know multiple people who would kill to be able to see the 5 hour cut of The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

frytechnician posted:

This absolutely sucks and gigantic game lengths are nothing to crow about. I have no idea why game companies do this, you don't get the movie industry talking about how long their movies are or a novelist being proud their new book is 6000+ pages.

That is how Bethesda games have also been and is part of what makes them fun

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

stev posted:

The quotes in the article straight up say there are 150+ hours of content and the campaign is 40-50 of them.

And the thing that everyone says about Bethesda campaigns is that they're the worst part of the game and you should ignore them and gently caress around with side content instead

The campaigns are usually fine until the endings when you blow something up and cut out access to certain factions or content.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

haveblue posted:

The size and weight of IMAX reels was absolutely part of the Oppenheimer marketing lol

Agreed. Not length though. You can have perfectly epic experiences around the 100 minute mark. No-one in the movie industry says "this movie is really long" as a selling point. Only seems to be games that specifically tout length of completion time as a positive.

There are cases where I can see this makes sense like Vampire Survivors or Slay the Spire or Counterstrike; "you will put in thousands of hours but you will enjoy the short run each time" , but RPGs?

Maybe it's just me but when I see studios say this is a 150hr+ narrative experience, I don't feel hyped. ESPECIALLY if it's Bethesda saying it.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Gripweed posted:

I know multiple people who would kill to be able to see the 5 hour cut of The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford

I definitely would see it if I had the chance to.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

frytechnician posted:

Maybe it's just me but when I see studios say this is a 150hr+ narrative experience, I don't feel hyped. ESPECIALLY if it's Bethesda saying it.

This is literally one of the big draws of a bethesda game. 300+ hours of quests, exploring, dungeons, environmental storytelling, and lore.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
AC6 is installed now I just got wait another 9 hours for work to be done!

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

Mr Hootington posted:

This is literally one of the big draws of a bethesda game. 300+ hours of quests, exploring, dungeons, environmental storytelling, and lore.

All of which is mediocre and buggy as hell!

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
:spooky: Reader Beware! You're In For A Scare: :spooky:

There's a real young dude at work and hes barely scraping by in life. He just bought Skyrim on sale, as a rare luxury. He hasnt even seen videos of it! He just heard that its by the people who make Fallout and that you can play it for a very long time!

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
Actually, I take it back. If Starfield has the same quality of buggy insanity Oblivion did then I actually hope it's a 400 hour game. I want to see characters swimming through the sky, repeating dialogue to trees etc.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

frytechnician posted:

All of which is mediocre and buggy as hell!

Their games aren't any more buggy than any other open world game. It is just more noticeable due to what the engine they use does. Have lots of small bits with their own physics is going to cause funny stuff.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
Any movie over 2 hours is too long

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Mr Hootington posted:

Their games aren't any more buggy than any other open world game. It is just more noticeable due to what the engine they use does. Have lots of small bits with their own physics is going to cause funny stuff.

not seeing you debate the "mediocre" charge

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Kerrzhe posted:

the problem is that once you allow access to level 13 you allow access to 7th level spells which includes poo poo like Teleport, Plane Shift, Mordenkainen's Magnificent Mansion, Mirage Arcane and Reverse Gravity and understandably the devs looked at the spell list and said "no"

"Wish" just opens up a command line window in the game that all the characters stare at like they're seeing a biblically-accurate angel

Handsome Wife
Feb 17, 2001

FlowerRhythmREMIX posted:

:hmmyes:

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

FlowerRhythmREMIX posted:

Yeah! And I wanna be home by 8pm!!!! :corsair:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

grieving for Gandalf posted:

not seeing you debate the "mediocre" charge

They aren't mediocre either. The games are good and fun.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

I think it's OK for some games to be long

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bethesda games own

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I think Bethesda games are good enough that I see the ways they would be better or more interesting and that takes away from them somewhat for me

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/VGC_News/status/1695051554565283953?t=_RYjueh7RUem08h_UBW39g&s=19

Anyway here's an RPG that's DEFINITELY going to be bad

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Can’t be bad if it never comes out!

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

verbal enema posted:

AC6 is installed now I just got wait another 9 hours for work to be done!

its insanely good op. wow what a game. also the pvp is really fun.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

BGS games had the deserved reputation of being buggy but now the entire AAA industry is that way, so they don't have to do anything different to be at an equal level

that said, it's a space game made in an engine that wasn't designed for outer space so i'm sure it'll have some craziness in it, but probably nothing on the level of what i've heard about star citizen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

cant believe it

this is just another example of Baldurs Gate 3 poisoning the well by setting grossly unrealistic expectations with its fairy tale development :mad: