Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

"It's not technically murder if noone is around to see it!" :synpa:

Sure Livewire :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Putting her in a team with a cop is hilarious, she has a bunch of ACAB lines.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Gerblyn posted:

Putting her in a team with a cop is hilarious, she has a bunch of ACAB lines.

I had Raven, Meltdown, Fox, Mouse and Livewire in the same team once. That banter was just A+ :discourse:

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

So bossy

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
"I just hope they're not doing anything gross." :allears:

Also, having started a new game, I have to say that Fox is a surprisingly good sniper, thanks to her passive letting her keep whatever AP she spent on the opening attack. Honestly, unless you're playing with someone exceptionally stealthy, pistols and SMGs seem to drop off in effectiveness outside of certain niche cases.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I liked someone's suggestion of making pistols cost zero AP to swap to. At least then they would have some kind of niche as a secondary weapon.

On my machine gunner, I used assault rifles with the free swap foregrip in a similar manner as a secondary weapon for times when I didn't want to waste a long machinegun burst on a weakened enemy.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

After a hiatus during that 1.0.3 patch, I'm wrapping up the game now, looking to start a new play-through after that and knock out some of the stuff I didn't do the first time. Also getting impatient and looking forward to a 1.13 situation, more depth added in mods. Obviously not going to be a lot of that yet, since modding tools only now came out.

Seems to be one prominent "more guns" mod on the workshop that I may try out:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3023672178&searchtext=

And then this rebalance mod that seems like it has interesting gun balance ideas:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3021320057&searchtext=

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Elias_Maluco posted:

At the other hand, he gets really boring. Stoned Larry is hilarious

I don't know, sober Larry is pretty funny too, because he takes to sobriety basically the same way he does to addiction. Like he absolutely cannot help himself from going on about clean living and the sober lifestyle.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Will he refuse combat stims?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Looking at that extra weapons mod above, it got me thinking. Considering Gran Chien has some French colonial legacy, it would have been kinda neat if the early game "WWII surplus" tier gear was ancient French poo poo instead of the same old, boring rear end German junk.

Forget the MP40, lets rock some MAS-38s or MAT-49s!

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Agreed fully

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Arrath posted:

Looking at that extra weapons mod above, it got me thinking. Considering Gran Chien has some French colonial legacy, it would have been kinda neat if the early game "WWII surplus" tier gear was ancient French poo poo instead of the same old, boring rear end German junk.

100%, i guess they were afraid it wouldn't be recognizable though, but they were wishy washy with the calibers anyway so you just convert weird lebel to 762 nato and 9mm as suitable.

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

Is it possible to shoot out lights Metal Gear Solid-style with free-aim? I've tried, but I'm not sure if my mercs are too bad at shooting or if it just plain doesn't work

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Panzeh posted:

100%, i guess they were afraid it wouldn't be recognizable though, but they were wishy washy with the calibers anyway so you just convert weird lebel to 762 nato and 9mm as suitable.

Yeah the wonky calibers are another pain point, I've had a few thoughts about them. You could have the WWII surplus French SMG, add a PPSH as WP surplus, and have them both shoot the new Lebel cartridge, making 9mm SMGs an upgrade from that. Maybe add a low tier pistol shooting that poo poo, too.

Other thoughts: Add 7.62x54r as a WP equivalent to 7.62 Nato.
Reskin the Gewehr as the Mosin, change ammo type.
Add an SKS as early game semi-auto rifle with basic scope options, using 7.62x39.
Move Draugnov up a tier and remove the silly rear end burst fire, also change the ammo type.
DP-28 instead of MG34 as the basic MG? Solves the 7.62 windfall effect when you loot one of those early game and were otherwise scrimping to keep your snipers fed.

Guess I'll have to learn the modding tools.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Livewire is great, but she wouldn't hire on with me for what felt like half my campaign, so I just ran with Steroid who was pretty good too, he's an A+ mule right off the bat with his strength, max health means slap some of the heavy armor on him and give him a shotgun or AR and he's a really good shock trooper since he's got decent marksmanship, plus 100 health means he's great for downtime to train up health or strength on most other characters, along with being a good mechanic.

Barry is just the explosives GOAT by far though, for a lot of the game I had him running around with a very modded out M14 with a GL on it, which combined with shaped charges, meant he killed at least a couple hundred people by game's end.

Elias_Maluco posted:

29 enemies in 2 turns. I love this game

Enjoy Fort Brigand lol, that was another Barry explosives killfest

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Arrath posted:

What's that? 17 variants of AK's? SURE!

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Yardbomb posted:

Enjoy Fort Brigand lol, that was another Barry explosives killfest

I did it yesterday, but I didint used much explosives (only 1 rocked and a couple of grenades)

I attacked it with both my teams, one from the main gate, one form the port. The team at the main gate ended up engaging with most of the enemies, and were kinda getting overwhelmed. But than second team, after killing the few guards at the port area, advanced fast and started taking the soldiers from behind, it was pretty fun

Using 2 squads at the same time is mostly unnecessary, but it is quite fun at big battle like that and when can do something really strategic with it

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Aug 27, 2023

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I posted all 12 up on the walls with a ton of rpg's and grenade launchers for my second playthrough. Took out half the map in one turn

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
It's there any mods to raise the maximum number of mercs you can hire? I just hit the limit, seems quite low. And I have so much money, I wanted to hire a few more guys just because

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Croccers posted:

What's that? 17 variants of AK's? SURE!

:sickos:

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009

Elias_Maluco posted:

It's there any mods to raise the maximum number of mercs you can hire? I just hit the limit, seems quite low. And I have so much money, I wanted to hire a few more guys just because

The Custom Settings mod lets you adjust this.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3007587788

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Thank you

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Elias_Maluco posted:

I did it yesterday, but I didint used much explosives (only 1 rocked and a couple of grenades)

I attacked it with both my teams, one from the main gate, one form the port. The team at the main gate ended up engaging with most of the enemies, and were kinda getting overwhelmed. But than second team, after killing the few guards at the port area, advanced fast and started taking the soldiers from behind, it was pretty fun

Using 2 squads at the same time is mostly unnecessary, but it is quite fun at big battle like that and when can do something really strategic with it

Hell yeah, brought two full squads too and just rained stuff down on em at first while all his guys were grouped up, then human line marched up the map for the rest.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Oh my goodness, I found the best Easter Egg in this game so far- a Courage the Cowardly Dog ref :allears:

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

CommissarMega posted:

Oh my goodness, I found the best Easter Egg in this game so far- a Courage the Cowardly Dog ref :allears:

That made me smile so hard once I realized what was going on, even before I saw Courage himself :love:

I'm fairly certain there's a Korn/Freak On A Leash reference in the game too, I forget what zone it was in but there's like an empty guard post with a chainlink fence and hanging sign, leading to a long cliff with a hopscotch trail leading toward the end.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Aug 28, 2023

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008
One of the quests is based on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Twelve_Chairs

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

So there is a purpose for all those chairs after all.

I think I missed the quest , though. Im on the very end of the game and never got it

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Elias_Maluco posted:

So there is a purpose for all those chairs after all.

I think I missed the quest , though. Im on the very end of the game and never got it

It's one of the options from the loot box guy in the Fleatown market, he has a bunch of stuff you can ask him for in exchange for a diamond. One of them is about wealth or riches or something and that gives you the quest.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

You can give the lootbox dude small diamonds up to 10 times too and it's honestly worth it, I wanna say I got an early AUG out of it, one of those super heal syringes and some other nice bits.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Gadzuko posted:

It's one of the options from the loot box guy in the Fleatown market, he has a bunch of stuff you can ask him for in exchange for a diamond. One of them is about wealth or riches or something and that gives you the quest.

Ahh, thank you. I skipped that at the time cause I was poor and than forgot about it

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Yeah I think you have to trade for all ten loot boxes before he says there are no more and the dialogue opens to do the chair quest.

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009
You don't need to get the loot boxes before he'll talk about the chairs. On my first playthrough I didn't buy any loot boxes, and he still gave me the quest.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
You still have to give Lalee a diamond in order to access his dialogue option on how to get rich, which is where I think people are getting confused.

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

Finished the game, I'm really glad it kept JA2's ending gimmick of (mechanic, not plot spoiler) giving you a parting message from every merc you brought to the final fight, it's more satisfying than it has any right to be

overeager overeater fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Aug 29, 2023

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gl3GCVrdPk

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Trailer is accurate in that pistols did literally nothing at the beginning of the clip.

Trailer is inaccurate in that Fidel would have left the squad after Ivan got all those kills.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Also, immediately ditching the AK-47 for the first better weapon you come across.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Anyone know what the trigger is for Santiago's betrayal? I want to start a new game, and get Larry detoxed beforehand, but I'd also like to get chummy with the commies as well as rush their mine and Diamond Red. Is this possible? I know I have to clear up the zombie problem beforehand, of course.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

CommissarMega posted:

Anyone know what the trigger is for Santiago's betrayal? I want to start a new game, and get Larry detoxed beforehand, but I'd also like to get chummy with the commies as well as rush their mine and Diamond Red. Is this possible? I know I have to clear up the zombie problem beforehand, of course.

When you visit the refugee camp after the Biff Apscott mission is dealt with one way or the other, or if the Biff mission is never triggered, the refugee camp encounter will trigger upon taking a good chunk of the map, or if you go to the jungle near the Major's location, and it will auto-trigger if you get within two squares of the major. Just don't go to the refugee camp and you'll be fine. In fact, if you're doing the zombie stuff, i'd drop by the colonel's base to pick up the free psg1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Panzeh posted:

When you visit the refugee camp after the Biff Apscott mission is dealt with one way or the other, or if the Biff mission is never triggered, the refugee camp encounter will trigger upon taking a good chunk of the map, or if you go to the jungle near the Major's location, and it will auto-trigger if you get within two squares of the major. Just don't go to the refugee camp and you'll be fine. In fact, if you're doing the zombie stuff, i'd drop by the colonel's base to pick up the free psg1.

Righto, got it! Thanks for the help!