Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

That system would be an 'I' storm, so it's legally required to hit us in FL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

it's coming from the perfect direction to wipe tampa off the map

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

skooma512 posted:

That's a bit of an unusual track, no? Would it have technically formed over the pacific? Isthmuses make that kind of determination hard lol.

yeah but the water in the gulf is insanely warm now so we get new and exciting hurricanes.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

tampa never gets it. go all in on lake charles even as a long shot

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Wolfy posted:

it's coming from the perfect direction to wipe tampa off the map

Aww think of all those poor map makers, who'll have to spend hours minutes seconds, making changes to their next maps. :(

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Michigan is getting dumped on with some nasty thunderstorms moving north to south.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Real hurthling! posted:

tampa never gets it. go all in on lake charles even as a long shot

even though I hate that place with pretty much every atom of my being, there are still tarps on roofs and all the trees are still missing so that would really suck

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Wasn't it last year that a hurricane was angled perfectly to wipe out Tampa and then veered hard east with like hours to spare?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

1stGear posted:

Wasn't it last year that a hurricane was angled perfectly to wipe out Tampa and then veered hard east with like hours to spare?

Hurricane Ian indeed matches that description, I think. Last year’s "I" storm.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
No disastrous hurricane will ever hit Tampa due to reasons

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Grundulum posted:

Hurricane Ian indeed matches that description, I think. Last year’s "I" storm.
Yes from what I remember the models made it look like a Tampa Bay landfall until maybe a day before it hit?

Madame Psychosis
Jul 24, 2009

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

No disastrous hurricane will ever hit Tampa due to reasons

They've got the good good weather disruptors at MacDill.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

#Lockitin

This is why you always keep an eye on the back, least you don't get a hurricane sneaking up on you from the west

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Pffff. 989? That’s a Tuesday for coastal North Carolinians.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

NeonPunk posted:

#Lockitin

This is why you always keep an eye on the back, least you don't get a hurricane sneaking up on you from the west
I just listened to a discussion with a NC meteorologist and he said that they need to keep an eye on it. It’s not likely to have much time to strengthen in the Gulf, but it could very easily come off the NE FL coast and turn into a hurricane

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/ECMWFbot/status/1695268172897943726?s=20
clearly a communist hurricane

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/NHC_Atlantic/status/1695499613762175207?s=20

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/MichaelRLowry/status/1695506941655527459?s=20

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
HWRF is doing things

That'd be a CAT4

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

SirPablo posted:

HWRF is doing things

That'd be a CAT4

its beautiful, so many colors.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Stay safe Florida goons

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

mid-80s and sunny all next week

:woop:

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/GregPostel/status/1695525784532754813?s=20

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

We have a cone

https://twitter.com/EricBurrisWESH/status/1695538924058292690?s=20

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

So it'll become a cat 3 or 4 in just a day or two? That's pretty quick and intense

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Have you considered the Gulf is currently hot tub temperature though?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Swing west. It's so loving hot in Louisiana I will welcome a Cat 1 with open arms

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

PostNouveau posted:

Swing west. It's so loving hot in Louisiana I will welcome a Cat 1 with open arms

No gently caress you Texas needs it more.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

looks like a nothingburger

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

I fully expect this to destroy us if my interview on Monday goes well.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

lame hurricane hitting the nothing part of Florida

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

hell yeah guess who just got to a vacation rental sitting right in the middle of this cone? gently caress

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Webbeh posted:

hell yeah guess who just got to a vacation rental sitting right in the middle of this cone? gently caress

gonna be a sweet slideshow in your Memories tab

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
TD Ten is credible because it threatens Tampa.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I remember Hurricane Michael in 2018 was initially thought to only reach cat 1 due to the amount of wind shear that was expected in the gulf of mexico, but then quickly intensified from a cat 1 to 3 to 5 in the span of like 2 days. Not sure if the right ingredients are in place for that to happen again but it'll be interesting to see how it develops in the hot gulf waters Monday into Tuesday.

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

it is so humid i am going to kill god

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

platzapS posted:

it is so humid i am going to kill god

How's a festering divine corpse going to solve that problem, if anything it'll make it worse

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

quote:

There's a notable risk of rapid intensification while the system moves across the record warm eastern and northeastern Gulf of Mexico, which is highlighted by the recent HAFS and HWRF guidance. The new NHC forecast is raised from the previous one, near or above the model consensus, and could be too low. I'm reluctant to make any big changes to the forecast until we get more in-situ data, but the upward overnight model trend certainly bears watching.

Tarp Time

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Mr. Lobe posted:

How's a festering divine corpse going to solve that problem, if anything it'll make it worse

No, no, this is just one of those things you need to let them get out of their system. It may not make anything better, but at least it will make them feel better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

RandolphCarter posted:

I fully expect this to destroy us if my interview on Monday goes well.

sounds like you'll save a lot of lives if you go in hammered