Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Goons Are Gifts)

cursedshitbox

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

cruft posted:

I need the thread to give me a reality check here.

Cruise control in construction zones: what do you think?

nah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bajaha

BajaHAHAHA.

Can see workers? Nah.

Miles and miles of lonely cones without a worker, equipment, or portaloo is sight. Yah.

RIP Paul Walker

cruft posted:

Adaptive cruise control, yes but pay attention.

Regular cruise control, no thank you

CAT INTERCEPTOR

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

cruft posted:

Yah mostly. Esp in places speed limit is enforced. One less thing to be worried about while you keep you eyes on the road and surrounds.

Some construction situations it's not a good idea but always it depends

twine.amber
Happy Father's day

Dagen H

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Thanks

twine.amber

Welcome, hope you had a good day celebrating

twine.amber fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jun 19, 2023

cruft

Just quit my job. New job starts tomorrow.

I got back from a vacation with my dad yesterday. Should I spend my unemployed day playing Zelda?

twine.amber

cruft posted:

Just quit my job. New job starts tomorrow.

I got back from a vacation with my dad yesterday. Should I spend my unemployed day playing Zelda?

I'd play while you can

cruft

I did. It was the right call.

cruft

I've been posting way too many posts since last night. Like, if there were some posts per hour limit, I've probably exceeded it.

CAT INTERCEPTOR, can you help me out with this problem?

Goons Are Gifts

A posts per hour limit?? In byob we have a posts per hour requirement, smdh

Bilirubin

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

posting my hourly post

RIP Paul Walker

Woah, some fuckin' color scheme here. Digging it.

Comic Sans is my hatefuck font.

cruft

RIP Paul Walker posted:

Woah, some fuckin' color scheme here. Digging it.

Comic Sans is my hatefuck font.

This is a relationship I didn't realize a person could have with a font... and I'm intrigued!

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

I wondered about a thing, I searched a thing, I found a thing, I found a thing crash.

Then I found a compilation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77WFrQYfytg

A more expensive way to get hurt than skateboarding, yes please.

Bilirubin

driving new car is fun! But getting new tires is more new fun!

cruft

I never knew what a big deal tires were until I started posting in AI.

Bilirubin

its where the rubber meets the road after all. So to speak.

Anyway as a grave disappointment to my father, who was so into cars that he had a record album of different cars making their noises (like 50-60s era Le Manz racers), I never took to cars. This is despite, or perhaps because of, helping him in order to learn how to work on my own 73 Chevy.

What I learned was I was not suited to working on cars and to pay people who are, and are highly trained to do so!

(I also learned a fair amount of new profanity the time "we" replaced the brake lines in said Chevy, and he kept snapping bleeder stems off. I guess I also learned that he was also not suited to working on cars! He has finally cleared his garage of his slant 6 Duster project and has taken to sun bathing instead, which I totally approve of)

Goons Are Gifts

A car without tires is like a bong without weed, true/false??

cruft

Maybe more like weed without a bong?

cruft

In another thread we got to talking about how Cadillac made a car with a record player in it, and somebody posted this image I'd never seen before.

emSparkly posted:

Muhammad Ali owned one apparently.

I thought you'd all appreciate it.

sb hermit

pretty classy!

Captain Hygiene

You mess with the crabbo...

Those things are always cool to see. I always wonder how they worked out in practice. I'd have thought they were intended for use while parked, but if I recall correctly, the marketing claimed they'd work while driving.

cruft

Captain Hygiene posted:

Those things are always cool to see. I always wonder how they worked out in practice. I'd have thought they were intended for use while parked, but if I recall correctly, the marketing claimed they'd work while driving.

my dad has informed me they never could get it working reliably, and very quickly stopped offering a record player as an option.

Captain Hygiene

Ah, ok. That is not surprising at all.

cruft

I agree that engineering challenges like this are cool. Apparently at one point they thought it worked well enough to stage a bunch of promotional photos and roll it out on a production vehicle. I wonder what kind of crazy technology they had in that thing.

I mean, getting CDs to not skip was never a solved problem either. I can imagine how much more of a challenge that would be for a purely analog device with no buffering.

honda whisperer

cruft posted:

I never knew what a big deal tires were until I started posting in AI.

It's literally the whole point of the car. Brakes? Stop the tires. Engine and transmission? Make tires go. Suspension? Keep tires touching the road. Seats and seatbelts? Keeps you between the tires.

And if you can make the tires lock up, spin, or slide... Your tires are weak and holding you back.

sb hermit

cruft posted:

I agree that engineering challenges like this are cool. Apparently at one point they thought it worked well enough to stage a bunch of promotional photos and roll it out on a production vehicle. I wonder what kind of crazy technology they had in that thing.

I mean, getting CDs to not skip was never a solved problem either. I can imagine how much more of a challenge that would be for a purely analog device with no buffering.

it was a solved problem in the year 2013 when my car came out

solved as in it just ripped the entire CD to the internal hard drive

goodness help you if it doesn’t recognize the CD and you have to label the CD and all its tracks manually with a rotary dial instead of a keyboard

Captain Hygiene

Sometimes I'm glad I drive a 2005 car with the most robust audio technology ever made, a cassette deck with which I can use a 3.5mm auxiliary adapter cable

sb hermit

now that vinyls are making a comeback, maybe we’ll see a solved solution for playing records. Maybe it will be something insane like:

• it reads 5 seconds ahead to account for jitter, or it just reads the entire disc using a laser and saves it in memory
  • it uses futuristic gyroscopes to eliminate jitter completely
  • it takes a special high resolution photo of the entire disc and uses that
  • it just streams your copy from spotify and doesn’t read the vinyl at all except for the digital license needed to play the copy
  • it uses AI to hallucinate the music, like the classic movie Be Kind, Rewind, except with a 1950s or 1940s twist
  • it just plays Never Gonna Give You Up

Bilirubin

Feeling anxious, so going for a drive

Mustache Ride

poo poo in my city that would make me more anxious. Good luck buddy

sb hermit

Mustache Ride posted:

poo poo in my city that would make me more anxious. Good luck buddy

Bilirubin

welp it happened. New car confusion.

After a day of work I went to where I parked, pressed my remote entry fob, and nothing. I know this one has a dying battery and has been finicky so I got closer and tried again, nothing. Tried the door handle while pressing it, still nothing.

Perplexed, I went around to the driver's side and while passing around the rear I noticed my new Honda had magically turned into a Volvo.

My car was two stalls further along.

Really glad I didn't set off any alarms.

CAT INTERCEPTOR

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Bilirubin

:3:

cruft

Oh, hello catte!

cruft

I'm about to pay $2500 to rent a car for 10 weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goons Are Gifts

Check out this car fanatic over here