Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

rope kid posted:

* Domestics background allows you to reuse dough in the cookie minigame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
I understand Cyrillic and hieroglyphs do not support fancy font rendering for obvious reasons, so if you can you should still play this game in a language with a Latin letters.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Cyrillic has fancy fonts too! Not sure if they bothered including them in this game, probably not!

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

hadji murad posted:

That was a beautiful experience. I don’t think I cared about and enjoyed a game more.

Thank you rope kid. Thank you.

Turns out, labours of love wind up being better than soulless cashgrabs, remakes and 7th sequels. Crazy, I'm well aware.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I am now very interested in seeing how things get rendered in Chinese, both in terms of font and translation.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

pidan posted:

Cyrillic has fancy fonts too! Not sure if they bothered including them in this game, probably not!

I'm talking about the font animation which would require a lot of work for Cyrillic and also would be a little strange if you know how Orthodox monastic writings look. I totally understand devs not doing it and I'm glad they've added other languages, cause this game's language is not easy to comprehend.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Ibblebibble posted:

I am now very interested in seeing how things get rendered in Chinese, both in terms of font and translation.

Good luck to y'all. It's grass script from here on out. Also the village girls write exclusively in that Nüshu, women-only "secret" language.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

rope kid posted:

* Convincing Mathieu to give an advance is a little more involved.

Rope kid let me bully that gay little nerd out of his lunch money

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Only just got around to playing this now. Act 2 question...

So I accused Fernec, and without him the scriptorium shut down, and the abbot gives that as the reason why things are poo poo and he has to squeeze the peasants more. Andreas also seems super depressed and not okay.

Did I pick wrong? Or does the abbey falling on hard times/peasants chaffing/depression happen either way?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Avalerion posted:

Only just got around to playing this now. Act 2 question...

So I accused Fernec, and without him the scriptorium shut down, and the abbot gives that as the reason why things are poo poo and he has to squeeze the peasants more. Andreas also seems super depressed and not okay.

Did I pick wrong? Or does the abbey falling on hard times/peasants chaffing/depression happen either way?

I made the same choice as you, but most of what's going on happens in any case. The reasons for a lot of that stuff will become more clear as you keep going. If you feel responsible for your choices the game is doing a good job. It's not punishing you, it's a game that gets inevitably depressing at times, and feeling like you're part of it is a part of the journey.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

the end of act 1 sucks rear end no matter what unless you’re mad petty

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I'm still thinking about rope kid posting a prototype picture of Pentiment where the murder victim was Guy, and how the unanimous response was just "who cares, I'm not gonna investigate that."

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I'm still thinking about rope kid posting a prototype picture of Pentiment where the murder victim was Guy, and how the unanimous response was just "who cares, I'm not gonna investigate that."

you know what, same

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

This game is so good. I got through most of Act 3 on my first play through but didn’t manage to finish it so I started it over yesterday after catching up with the thread.

One funny bug I’ve run into, I went to ask Mathieu to give me an advance on my payment and convinced him to do so, but then it seamlessly went into a scene where he’s sternly chastising me for sneaking about the sacristy, lol. You were in there with me Mathieu!

I picked ___Lucky___ the first time but this time I went with ___Ferenc___. Oof. Called it quits after Act 1 but will surely barrel through the rest this week.

A great way to enjoy this game is by eating the same/similar things you do at the meals while you play it — farmers bread, cured sausage, nuts, fruit. And a Trappist ale if you’re really feeling it.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
Finally finished the last act. Great game, great atmosphere, and I was completely surprised by the various twists and turns in the final part of the game. As a testament to its greatness, I’ve now also bought several books on the medieval world.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Finished it, good game. :)

Had I picked polyglot in act 3, would I have been able to read the latin book and figure out the Mars thing early?

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

https://twitter.com/sweetfishes/status/1674805417204154368?s=46

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Avalerion posted:

Had I picked polyglot in act 3, would I have been able to read the latin book and figure out the Mars thing early?
I seem to remember that no, you still need help with it.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
context question: whats the deal with Andreas going around and eating supper any which where. historically is it just normal that dudes in town show up for dinner randomly? do people just like andreas that much? or is it a game thing

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I think it's just sort of a novelty that this weird guy is around and all the townspeople people want the gossip on him, so they lure him in with meats and cheeses. Many such cases

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Jinnigan posted:

context question: whats the deal with Andreas going around and eating supper any which where. historically is it just normal that dudes in town show up for dinner randomly? do people just like andreas that much? or is it a game thing

Good Christian behavior to invite somebody without family to eat with you, plus of course Andreas is an oddity within Tassing because he has a foot in both the village and the monastery, he's from outside but doesn't hold himself apart like the miller or the Baron, AND he's a genuinely nice guy!

Something I really dug once somebody posted in here to remind me WHY it was happening, but in Act 3 Magdalene doesn't get invited to meals like Andreas did, not because she's from the village or anything but because inviting a young single woman into your house could be scandalous.

MMAgCh posted:

I seem to remember that no, you still need help with it.

I really like that if Father Thomas had taken the time to actually look at the book, he'd have realized she had a copy of the book that had kicked off this entire thing in the first place.

:lol: what the gently caress, Twitter wants me to log in to actually look at the pictures? gently caress off! I'll just take context from the thumbnails that it's a very cute LGBTQ thing?

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
i hosed up the investigation, fam. i havent got a clue who did it.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Jinnigan posted:

Don't worry about it, just go on vibes, that's what everyone did back then

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
If you accuse the right person then you win the game.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

My gf got so upset by the repercussions of her choices that she uninstalled the game. Then I played and loved it so much, it was a relief to her that things might have still been ok

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Jinnigan posted:

There's enough clues to figure it out but the game never actually says it outright and doesn't seem to care about whether you got it right or wrong.

If you don't mind being spoiled: 1st act Lucky 2nd act Hanna.

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jul 1, 2023

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

interesting thought. but have you considered that ferenc is browbeating my cool old friend aedoc and that guy is an unctuous sycophant that’s stealing from tassing and the monastery both?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Ferenc was already planning to hide the "murder" weapon before the murder even happened, doesn't really line up.

Guy has a decent reason, he's using the stolen money to help prosecuted jews, he's not all bad, still a dick though.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
would never allow one of His children to be falsely accused of such an evil crime, hence why Brother Piero cannot be executed. Therefore, logically, whichever person you accuse must have been the culprit, otherwise would have spared them like He did Piero. Quod erat demonstrandum.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Acebuckeye13 posted:

would never allow one of His children to be falsely accused of such an evil crime, hence why Brother Piero cannot be executed. Therefore, logically, whichever person you accuse must have been the culprit, otherwise would have spared them like He did Piero. Quod erat demonstrandum.

This is a very good post

Has anyone run into a bug where the choice menus don’t unfurl? When Andreas is picking between backgrounds or even when I’m picking between people to accuse, the menus with the descriptive text mostly don’t unroll. I don’t think this was happening on my firstplay through but I don’t remember.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I showed this post to several lawyers and now in 25 years my friend's daughter is gonna find them passed out drunk on the street :smug:

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I just finished this today. Pentiment is a real special game.

I went in completely blind, so I was caught off guard by a lot of events. Even the first murder since I didn't know what type of game this was.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

...it's not just a VN/medieval peasant food simulator? :ohdear:

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
Oh man, finished this in 25 hours or so, GOTY and probably the best narrative game I've played. It just kept getting better. I knew it was going to be something very special when you were given the choice to argue about Martin Luther woth the abbot.
The only thing I found a little weird / not that great was (ending of act 3) the fact that you find out who the Thread-Puller was. I understand why, but up to that point you didn't know anything for sure and the Christmas party centered around the idea of life going on no matter what, so then having a definitive answer and the past coming back in form of Anders felt like it went against the rest of the game.

Also figured out that (ending of act 1)Ferenc was most likely innocent exactly because of the blood on the rod you find in the grave. The object fits the shape of the object which was used in the murder, but where the blood is doesn't. If it was the Baron's blood, it should have been on the tip of the rod, not where it actually is. And if Ferenc had washed the blood off, surely he would have washed it all off.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

not a bot posted:

Oh man, finished this in 25 hours or so, GOTY and probably the best narrative game I've played. It just kept getting better. I knew it was going to be something very special when you were given the choice to argue about Martin Luther woth the abbot.
The only thing I found a little weird / not that great was (ending of act 3) the fact that you find out who the Thread-Puller was. I understand why, but up to that point you didn't know anything for sure and the Christmas party centered around the idea of life going on no matter what, so then having a definitive answer and the past coming back in form of Anders felt like it went against the rest of the game.

Also figured out that (ending of act 1)Ferenc was most likely innocent exactly because of the blood on the rod you find in the grave. The object fits the shape of the object which was used in the murder, but where the blood is doesn't. If it was the Baron's blood, it should have been on the tip of the rod, not where it actually is. And if Ferenc had washed the blood off, surely he would have washed it all off.

Finding out who the thread puller is isn’t really against the spirit of the game. The theme of the game isn’t “you don’t know anything for sure” it’s “historical truth is a dialogue, and knowing the literal truth doesn’t change that fact”. Yes, you now know the truth behind Mars and Saint Moritz and the Thread Puller but it now falls to you to assign meaning to those things.

And then whoever receives that information from you will in turn impose meaning upon it and so on and so forth, truth filtering and evolving through perspective and material/emotional needs, forever.

That’s the whole point of the mural project and the Christmas party recollections by the villagers. They all experienced the same literal truth but understood it and were shaped by it differently.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'm setting my expectations to "Unreasonable" and nobody can stop me! :blastu:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

My email is about to get pretty subtle with its inflections and meanings.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Jerusalem posted:

I'm setting my expectations to "Unreasonable" and nobody can stop me! :blastu:

It was about the release of fonts.

https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/1695305425665830938

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
The fonts are out as part of the fankit.

That's what was teased in case you were wondering!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

More importantly, when can I get the vinyl?