Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Exactly. You want to drop in on the big bads from time to time but you also want your more sedate episodes.

People remember the episode where Spock gets divorced, but who remembers the episode that introduced the klingons?

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jul 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I'm running a tabletop game of Rogue Trader and I was wondering if there's a map of footfall in the game? I would appreciate having one.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Arglebargle III posted:

I'm running a tabletop game of Rogue Trader and I was wondering if there's a map of footfall in the game? I would appreciate having one.

Well, there's this:

I love Footfall as a location for just how contradictory it is. Giant halls meant to be grand cathedrals and palaces. Never finished, and then the newly moving in tenants start building shanty towns inside the grandiose architecture.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Most everyone dropped this in favor of BG3 but honestly I can't wait to play Rogue Trader again. I miss a lot of the combat options and the lore flavor, and I also miss how quick the combat is. It might not be as complex but at least fights don't take forever.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
I mean, people also "dropped it" because it's very incomplete and it seems like the beta won't be getting another big update before full release. :v:

Which is a bit disappointing - I want to see what Pyromancy will be like, and what the triumphs & tragedies in character creation will be - but it is what it is.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

evilmiera posted:

Most everyone dropped this in favor of BG3 but honestly I can't wait to play Rogue Trader again. I miss a lot of the combat options and the lore flavor, and I also miss how quick the combat is. It might not be as complex but at least fights don't take forever.

I think the Momentum system adds a lot to the combat, honestly- having those few big spikes in party power really add to the coolness of every fight, and it's something I wish BG3 had, especially since sometimes it just descends into 'My turn again? Eldritch Blast, end turn'. It also encourages you to go balls-out sometimes, as compared to BG3's "ooh, will I need this Fireball elsewhere?" issue. True, BG3 does this to encourage you to rest a lot, but that just breaks up the game's flow, in my opinion.

Also, not having 100000 trash goblins in every fight also helps :v:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I thought rogue trader had loads of trash fights, they went p fast but still.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

sebmojo posted:

I thought rogue trader had loads of trash fights, they went p fast but still.

It does and I am not going to sugarcoat that, it's Owlcats greatest failing in their games, but they usually go by pretty fast even in turn-based.

Whereas in BG3 unless you are a very optimized build trash fights can take ages mainly because stuff has too much HP or there's too many enemies.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

evilmiera posted:

It does and I am not going to sugarcoat that, it's Owlcats greatest failing in their games, but they usually go by pretty fast even in turn-based.

Whereas in BG3 unless you are a very optimized build trash fights can take ages mainly because stuff has too much HP or there's too many enemies.

Their Pathfinder games were OK here, because after a point you could switch into RTWP for trash fights and let your megabuffed party woodchipper the trash, and if you noticed things going south you could instantly switch back to turn-based and take things more granularly to unfuck the situation.

As someone who hasn't played the beta, it kinda sounds like RT is all tactical turn-based all the time?

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Warmachine posted:

As someone who hasn't played the beta, it kinda sounds like RT is all tactical turn-based all the time?

It is, and several of the fights are much longer and more tedious than anything in BG3, except for the final battle against the brain.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I don't know about them being more tedious but it might just be down to the fact that you can engage large groups piecemeal rather than all at once in BG3. I know at least one fight in act 2 in Baldur's that had me gnashing my teeth at how drawn out it was. Probably didn't help that the many bugs in 3 made stuff like allied NPCs never stop trying to join fights you were in even when it was physically impossible to reach you but it still tried to run through their turns.

But yes, RT is all turn-based combat only. It's still a fun game though much like BG the beta is obviously unfinished in later acts.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Rt does let you scythe through the trash, but it's still a little tedious.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
In the far-flung past I remember playing "Pool of Radiance" on a C64 and early in the game accidentally started a bar fight with about a dozen kobolds. This set off an interminable series of moves, attacks, defenses and backstabs that went on so long that I had to turn the computer off to get out of it.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Yeah turn-based fights never do well when more than 8 characters are involved, unless you do the thing Rogue Trader does and let the chaff fight all at once.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Maybe I just stumbled into op builds but I never felt tarpitted. Other than certain elves who had like 95% dodge chance while blinded and prone.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Eifert Posting posted:

Maybe I just stumbled into op builds but I never felt tarpitted. Other than certain elves who had like 95% dodge chance while blinded and prone.

Same; I don't really recall being bogged down all that much outside of facing FUKKEN ELDAAAAR in space battles. Mind you, I played a melee blender of a Trader, so maybe that's it?

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Maybe a release date/window tomorrow? Hopefully one sometime in 2024.

https://twitter.com/OwlcatGames/status/1694323662755635341?s=20

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Anno posted:

Maybe a release date/window tomorrow? Hopefully one sometime in 2024.

https://twitter.com/OwlcatGames/status/1694323662755635341?s=20

gently caress, I hope it's a release date. If my balls got any bluer I'd be executed for being a Tau infiltrator :v: That said, it does seem to be at a semi-reasonable time for me (around 10:30-11 PM my time), so here's to hoping I manage to catch it.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
Trailer with companions.
Peopel who played alpha/beta know most of the details, plus they hint the Deldar.
HOWEVER, two inetersting points.
Unknown . You just know.

Also, we get co-op on PC. Wonder how the gently caress that will work

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
I really hope they weren't pressured into bolting on co-op because of BG3. It's absurdly janky in that game, and I don't see how it'd be satisfying here.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

What's the momentum system?

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

SpaceDrake posted:

I really hope they weren't pressured into bolting on co-op because of BG3. It's absurdly janky in that game, and I don't see how it'd be satisfying here.

DOS 2 had co-op
Even BG2 had it. I guess they finally feel they can implement it without it blowing up your pc, your printer and your router.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Arglebargle III posted:

In the beta at least, it was a system whereby during each of your turns, you built up a team resource called Momentum. IIRC you got a small amount from your Willpower, and the majority from attacking enemies. Once your team's Momentum got high enough, a character can use a powerful once-per-combat ability that differed from class to class.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

And there is a "Desperate Measures" versions of those Heroic Acts if you get whupped on and your Momentum drops really low.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
The combat system seems designed to reward rushing into combat rather than turtling slowly forward.

Momentum is a big part of it but also the way to build characters so you can go high risk high reward in one turn killing multiple enemies.

The enemies also can benefit from momentum, and suffer from losing it.

The soritas npc was good for getting off several extra attacks in one round for a slight disadvantage, and a melee character can get AP back on kill, potentially killing 2-3 enemies while using charge.

The psyker can drop aoe nukes but that supposedly will gently caress with the area map effects long term.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

pentyne posted:

The psyker can drop aoe nukes but that supposedly will gently caress with the area map effects long term.

Anyone who lets an unsanctioned psyker run loose deserves everything they get :colbert:

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Arglebargle III posted:

If you deal a lot of damage it goes up, if you lose someone or get hit hard it goes down. Every character has a one off special ability each combat of varrying effectiveness you can spend it on. It also buffs that character for the combat. If you suck you can get the same ability but with a debuff.

The Sister one, for example, lets her shoot like 5-8 extra rounds in her turn at different targets and (if I remember right) the ability to choose to move after her attacks if she wants.

It's much more useful for some classes than others, I rarely had a combat last long enough to bother using it on support characters. In my game Abby (seneschal battle grandpa) and Argie (the SoB) carried the squad. I started calling him Abby-Don after he soloed a chaos space marine in close combat. Got him down to 3 HP on his turn then reaction killed the guy when he tried to run away

Abby rules.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

CommissarMega posted:

Anyone who lets an unsanctioned psyker run loose deserves everything they get :colbert:

I'm playing my main character as a guy going "No actually both Chaos and the Imperium suck rear end" and so I'm doing my best to just do things my own way. It's come back to bite me a few times but I'm still happy with the outcome so far.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

SpaceDrake posted:

Is it? I'm playing co op at the moment and it's great.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I haven’t played BG3 co-op but if it’s anything like DOS2 it’s incredibly dependent on you and your co-op partner being on the same wavelength because it’s so easy for one person to gently caress something up for the other if you aren’t.

Personally I didn’t even consider playing it through “normally” co-op and just enjoyed getting into crazy shenanigans trying to break various things. And for that it’s amazing.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Anno posted:

I haven’t played BG3 co-op but if it’s anything like DOS2 it’s incredibly dependent on you and your co-op partner being on the same wavelength because it’s so easy for one person to gently caress something up for the other if you aren’t.

Personally I didn’t even consider playing it through “normally” co-op and just enjoyed getting into crazy shenanigans trying to break various things. And for that it’s amazing.

Lol

I have played co op and it's fun and straightforward, and getting through gnarly fights feels really good!

Tbf there's a lot less setting every single thing on super ultra poison fire, which might make it more controlled.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Larian style coop is very janky because you will constantly have different people activating different story triggers and characters will react as if it was all the same MC doing it.
It's even worse if one of the players has a special character origin because their personal narrative will be broken up depending on how many important events the other player will accidentally trigger.
It's true for both DOS2 and BG3.

Coop in the is fun if you just want to kill stuff but it sucks rear end for trying to roleplay or follow a story.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

So what are the special abilities by class? I'm afraid the pen and paper rogue trader class abilities are super lame and poorly balanced. Some of them are very good but not very fluffy, like the RT handing out 10% buffs or the arch-militant getting passive damage and accuracy, but some of the other classes have abilities so lame they rarely come up. I'm thinking these might be adapted to my pen and paper campaign but I don't know what they are!

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
There's some issues playing Larian co-op but mostly that it really needs the people playing to be on the same pace and not having one person rushing the main quest and one person casually exploring the new map.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Arglebargle III posted:

So what are the special abilities by class? I'm afraid the pen and paper rogue trader class abilities are super lame and poorly balanced. Some of them are very good but not very fluffy, like the RT handing out 10% buffs or the arch-militant getting passive damage and accuracy, but some of the other classes have abilities so lame they rarely come up. I'm thinking these might be adapted to my pen and paper campaign but I don't know what they are!

The soldier classes just basically get to attack as many times as they have action points for and get mobility bonuses. The leader classes get to tell some other unit to do some poo poo and get essentially a free normal turn. I genuinely don't remember what the other classes get because you're using the special powers on your soldiers. The sister of battle special action can potentially take off 2/3 of a bosses hit bar or kill like seven or eight enemy combatants, same with the combat classes, generally speaking if you know what you're doing you don't get enough special actions to overlook those two or three.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

Larian style coop is very janky because you will constantly have different people activating different story triggers and characters will react as if it was all the same MC doing it.
It's even worse if one of the players has a special character origin because their personal narrative will be broken up depending on how many important events the other player will accidentally trigger.
It's true for both DOS2 and BG3.

Coop in the is fun if you just want to kill stuff but it sucks rear end for trying to roleplay or follow a story.

I'm also reasonably suspect that concessions for co-op limits the ability to have party members that aren't the one who initiated the conversation have agency in the conversation.

Owlcat letting the rest of the party contribute to in-conversation skill checks beyond casting a spell on you is conspicuously absent in Larian's implementation, to the point where I was grinding my teeth more than once. Like why can't my history nerd wizard chime in when my dumb as bricks paladin sees something history related?

Anno
May 10, 2017

Edit: sorry, forgot what thread this is, no sense in detailing further.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Quick RT lore question that came up this session: is doing the robot a form of Tech-Heresy?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Arglebargle III posted:

Quick RT lore question that came up this session: is doing the robot a form of Tech-Heresy?

On the contrary, it's probably some kind of sacred dance to the AdMech, similar to dervish dancing :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Sorry for the late doublepost, but here's a video of some gameplay from Gamescom:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7od4VLKb9s

SPOILER WARNING: Contains spoilers for a new companion (especially if you didn't play the beta) as well as an enemy type (though the latter isn't really a spoiler if you watched the animated trailer).