Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
I'm thinking about having my seats done with a houndstooth like the sport classic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

Residency Evil posted:

What color is that SC?

Not sure but kinda looks like racing green metallic https://rennbow.org/porsche-colors/Porsche%20Racing%20Green%20Metallic

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Elite Taco posted:

I'm thinking about having my seats done with a houndstooth like the sport classic.

yea do it

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

https://relicate.com/search?q=pepita

I think the pattern is kinda different than houndstooth, called Pepita

Edit: disregard you have samples from the same place lol

AWWNAW fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Aug 17, 2023

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

I got to drive this beast yesterday at PIR. That was fun as hell, managed to get it up to 140 on the straights.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

That's what I thought too.

Ie, the color that they eliminated from PTS for now. :negative:

Not like my loving dealer is going to get me a car.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
Radio update:

This is going in tomorrow.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
Still ironing out kinks for wiring, but this is what it look like:

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

That looks pretty stock, nice!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Yeah, that fits in very well.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
it only plays t swift though

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I mean, you can probably make that work for you just fine.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Clean install.

What was your stock audio? The M490? Did you use a harness kit?

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
I had the CDR23 (becker unit) with bose - and I bought a metra wiring harness and made my own harness to go between the car and the radio.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Elite Taco posted:

Still ironing out kinks for wiring, but this is what it look like:

Which unit is that and can it support something like torque app and a bluetooth obd2? I really need to upgrade mine.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I'm mounting the Dension kit in my '05 Cayenne. Have to get tuner cleaner on the volume pot as it doesn't work.

Hopefully, i'll have an Mp3 and BT input.

If it gives me any grief: yours looks like a good unit. Does it work with the steering controls?

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Aug 22, 2023

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
Here's what I bought:

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805560176127.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.5.21ef1802Kjlf9G&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa

I got model 8581. My boxster doesn't have steering wheel controls :(

The seller claims it can do some OBD and TPMS stuff and there is a whole bunch of connectors on the back. I've found the seller very responsive. I'll type up my :words: on rennlist some time this week with all the pics and stuff.

I've got it installed and I'm happy with it, but I WILL be going back into the dash in a few weeks - I've got a very faint ground loop coming through the speakers as a high-pitched whine. Hopefully I can solve it with a line output converter.

Overall, op success - I can split screen t swift and traffic info for my drive home.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

911 hard top coupe '99 80k miles $25k

https://classics.autotrader.com/classic-cars-for-sale/for-sale-in-Concord-California-94518

Would probably put 200 highway miles a week on it for six months as a commuter. This is just a general example of the bottom of the market

What is the maintenance going to look like/how terrible of an idea is this. Presumably all the weird problems/recalls were sorted out. Probably a new set of shocks, new tires. New suspension bushings?

Does a car seat fit in the back? Would be hauling kids under 6 less than 20 miles for spousal appeasement purposes.

Seems like parts availability and shops that will work on these are ubiquitous. $25k seems to be the nadir for 911 prices. I see a lot of boxters but those are two seaters.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Your link does not go to any specific car either so I will reply generalities, but specific examples of cars really need to be picked apart on their own merit. They are at that $$ value where people have bought them and cannot afford to maintain them (or abuse them) so they dump them.

Yes a car seat should fit in the back of a 996. We have people here that can attest to that.

Like any car, do not assume any PO or dealer maintenance for granted unless you have documentation. I would personally far rather buy one from a "true enthusiast" that has had it for more than a year or two and can tell you everything they have done (hopefully with documentation) then a dealer or generic seller.

Generally speaking, an almost quarter century old Porsche is not going to be the greatest choice for a car to "use" for commuting/getting to work, etc unless you have a back up. You are not buying a 1999 Honda. If something needs work on it, while most parts are available they are generally not inexpensive or in stock at the closest auto parts store. And it will need maintenance. It's a given.

If you blow a motor (or IMS failure) you're legit well in $5-figure territory to replace, especially if you have to pay someone to do it. Literally more than you paid for the car type thing. Porsche engines or major components are expensive compared to pretty much any mass market car.

Some maintenance (IE: AOS) while not strictly necessary, are best accomplished dropping the motor.

It's old enough that poo poo will break and need replacement, and in process you'll probably find or break other stuff that needs replacing. This will happen with regularity.

That said, 99s are "arguably" the most reliable M96 powered 996. The earlier the better. Depending on the options, they are also among the lightest and least computerized.

I would absolutely not recommend one as an only "commuter" car and need to count on it. Fuel economy is not great, maintenance is a guarantee and the risk of something very expensive happening is always around the corner. I'd only consider it if I was confident that I could do virtually everything for any work it may require myself and be at peace/financially stable enough with the possibility that the car you spent $thousands$ on may die or require more than it is worth in repairs.

An old Porsche is not a rational choice for a dependable, use everyday car. Can they be reliable? Sure. But I wouldn't want to be in a position to require it to be reliable.

But that's just me.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

slidebite posted:

An old Porsche is not a rational choice for a dependable, use everyday car. Can they be reliable? Sure. But I wouldn't want to be in a position to require it to be reliable.

Even when they are reliable, you're just one emergency repair away from having to park it for a week to 10 days while you wait for some dumb little thing to show up from Germany.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
^^ this, so make sure to get a BMW to switch off disabled german cars.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah I have alternative transportation, no offense but a good chunk of this advice (which is good advice) could be recycled for most any car > 10 years, I'm curious what's specific to the 996 that would make it more/less reliable. That's why I'm here instead of "which car should I buy?" thread

Apparently the 99 doesn't have a specific known bearing that can cause issues with later cars? Like, why is the 996 cheaper than a late model Miata? Just parts cost/availability? Sorry to be obtuse. Google says (lol) the annual maintenance cost for a 996 is $1800 which is a lot but if I have a backup car it seems like a pretty reasonable annual premium to pay to not do my commute in a (n otherwise very reasonable) Prius , plus I'll probably be a lot happier on those days I do need to go into the office

Is $1800 at all reasonable or is that completely wrong. Assume no track days

Elite Taco posted:

^^ this, so make sure to get a BMW to switch off disabled german cars.

This is kind of the situation already

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hadlock posted:

no offense but a good chunk of this advice (which is good advice) could be recycled for most any car > 10 years, I'm curious what's specific to the 996 that would make it more/less reliable. That's why I'm here instead of "which car should I buy?" thread

Great way to get people to effortpost for you when you call slidbites direct, specific and informative reply to you "generic".

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Hadlock posted:

Like, why is the 996 cheaper than a late model Miata?
The headlights are wrong for most people and it’s from the cost cut era, doesn’t have “charm” like an air cooled and subsequent water cooled models just got better objectively.

”Hadlock” posted:

No one can answer this without a specific car description along with its maintenance history and a PPI report

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Hadlock posted:

Yeah I have alternative transportation, no offense but a good chunk of this advice (which is good advice) could be recycled for most any car > 10 years, I'm curious what's specific to the 996 that would make it more/less reliable. That's why I'm here instead of "which car should I buy?" thread
A generic >10 year old car has nothing near the expense risk for repairs of a 25 year old Porsche.

quote:

Apparently the 99 doesn't have a specific known bearing that can cause issues with later cars?
Your research is severely mistaken. They all do. Just less likely, especially at this point.

quote:

Like, why is the 996 cheaper than a late model Miata? Just parts cost/availability? Sorry to be obtuse.
Why is virtually any euro sports/luxury car worth a small fraction of what what they were new?

Or are are you asking why is a virtually newish car is more expensive than a 25 year old car? The 996 has its detractors for sure, but depreciation and potential upkeep expense are not unique to it.

quote:

Google says (lol) the annual maintenance cost for a 996 is $1800 which is a lot but if I have a backup car it seems like a pretty reasonable annual premium to pay to not do my commute in a (n otherwise very reasonable) Prius , plus I'll probably be a lot happier on those days I do need to go into the office

This far down the line, it's impossible to give a realistic average on a nebulous/generic 25 year old porsche with an unknown history.

Yearly maintenance could be literally a single oil change (~$100) or it could be enough to need a mortgage against your house. And everything in between.

Let's boil this down and take this away if nothing else:

It's a $25,000 car that still has the maintenance costs of a $100,000 european sports car. It's old enough that major maintenance and very, eye-wateringly expensive repairs are, while not a given, a *real* possibility. Luckily I, nor AFAIK others here have ran into life changing expenses due to them, but if you go on Rennlist or enthusiast forums you will see stories of people that have multi-multi thousand $dollar$ unexpected repairs.

The smart money is on a late model miata if that is what you are seriously cross shopping.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Oh poo poo I can't unsee the fried egg now. Ok nevermind

I guess pelican sells a patch panel but unless you get a $$ bumper it all looks very janky

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

slidebite posted:

Let's boil this down and take this away if nothing else:

It's a $25,000 car that still has the maintenance costs of a $100,000 european sports car. It's old enough that major maintenance and very, eye-wateringly expensive repairs are, while not a given, a *real* possibility. Luckily I, nor AFAIK others here have ran into life changing expenses due to them, but if you go on Rennlist or enthusiast forums you will see stories of people that have multi-multi thousand $dollar$ unexpected repairs.

The smart money is on a late model miata if that is what you are seriously cross shopping.

This is fair, and yeah I'm cross shopping against Miata and the 124 "Fiata"

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Dude, with your post history in Craigslist gold which spans from literal piles of scrap metal/rust to apparently now, a late model Miata, I have no idea what you're trying to do.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I would not think anything posted in the craigslist fools good thread to be taken for serious consideration

Since February I went from rural swamp with a one car garage and very low taxes/col and no commuting to very far away with marginally arid climate, two car garage and tighter budget, plus probably a real need to regularly drive at highway speeds in the next quarter or so. Toodling around town in an underpowered borderline antique isn't realistic in my current new and probably medium to long term situation

Infinotize posted:

No one can answer this without a specific car description along with its maintenance history and a PPI report

I'll keep an eye out for anything I'll seriously consider, get better information and bring it back at that point. Right now I'm in "what don't I know that I don't know?" fact finding mode.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Motronic posted:

Great way to get people to effortpost for you when you call slidbites direct, specific and informative reply to you "generic".

I think what he meant was: Is there a specific ticking time bomb for this car? Because that kind of thing makes a car cheap in the used market.

Glass transmission, unicorn parts (like Rolls-Royce's $1800 alternator), etc.

Reminds me of the creative use of 'biodegradeable' insulation on wiring in 90s Mercedes Benzes.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Correct

Yeah I could have worded that better. I was still working my way through first cup of coffee with a toddler yanking on my pant leg when I wrote that

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

For what it's worth, you can see a recurring theme here.

I bought an 18-YO 955 because there is nothing I won't take a stab at fixing, I'm a bit nuts like that. Also it was a 1-owner, older-woman-driven car with everything documented from the window sticker on. Even so I'm still $2500 into it beyond what I paid for it. They are certainly not an investment, but I sense that's not your intent anyway.

Just go into it expecting to both have a ton of fun driving it, and that if you get 2-years without something colorfully exploding, you are way ahead of the game.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010

Hadlock posted:

Apparently the 99 doesn't have a specific known bearing that can cause issues with later cars? Like, why is the 996 cheaper than a late model Miata? Just parts cost/availability? Sorry to be obtuse. Google says (lol) the annual maintenance cost for a 996 is $1800 which is a lot but if I have a backup car it seems like a pretty reasonable annual premium to pay to not do my commute in a (n otherwise very reasonable) Prius , plus I'll probably be a lot happier on those days I do need to go into the office

This is kind of the situation already

As someone doing e91 + 986 S life, I'm super happy. I also LOVE wrenching on the cars. If you have space, tools, time, and interest, you'll be alright.

Oil changes are every 5,000 miles and cost about $100 in fluids and stuff. I just ordered brakes for my car - $500 in parts. The wheel hub bearing I did recently wasn't bad on parts but was like, $350 in tools all said and done. I need a new cupholder, that will be $350 or so. For a well-kept car that I got in April I'm well on my way to $1,800 for this year :)

Also, I get 15mpg in town. The end. I think I drive fairly tamely. 25 on the highway, though!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

My first year was probably $2000ish in parts, the following year closer to $500, and then just basically oil for the last 4-5 save a water pump.

But I am under zero illusions that is indefinite or expected.

Gross assumption: Most people don't have $20k+ burning a hole in their pocket in case the M96 decides to poo poo itself. It's "reasonable" to own until it isn't. They can and do. That's all.

I just want to make it crystal that these cars are not a $4000 worst case scenario expense. There is no shortage of abused or poorly maintained cars out there that really are a ticking bomb. Or even not abused, they're now just old and poo poo happens.

PainterofCrap posted:

I think what he meant was: Is there a specific ticking time bomb for this car? Because that kind of thing makes a car cheap in the used market.
Other than the IMS risk which is sorta justified, nothing is really a ticking time bomb per se and contrary to popular belief, they are built well. There are common issues like cam chain guides, tensioners, AOS, 90s german coolant plastics (although not as bad as some). A sunroof which might poo poo the bed. But that's the point I'm trying to get across. Will it die? Who knows. But this isn't an LT1, 350 small block, EJ25 or a 22R. A serious problem with a M96 is very costly. Costly in most other cars is a few K or so. That isn't the case here. And the risk is real. If a potential buyer is aware of that and accepts the risk, then caveat emptor and god speed.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
"if you can't afford two, you can't afford one."

- Q E D

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

PainterofCrap posted:

Glass transmission, unicorn parts (like Rolls-Royce's $1800 alternator), etc.

Reminds me of the creative use of 'biodegradeable' insulation on wiring in 90s Mercedes Benzes.

The ticking time bomb imo as an observer here is you have no real idea about prior maintenance unless you buy a car with excellent records, and that gets tougher and tougher as the cars get older and cheaper. And lots of things can go expensively wrong on a 2000 era German performance car with shoddy maintenance history.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Speaking of old Porsche breaking the 987 now has a pretty distinct front end clunk. Mostly noticeable at parking lot speed so I'm guessing it's the top mounts. Also coming up on 10k miles since I purchased and still very happy with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010

Elite Taco posted:

"if you can't afford two, you can't afford one."

- Q E D

change the thread title already.