Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

KVeezy3 posted:

Am I down bad enough to watch both cuts of this rebellious moon? uhh probably.

December 22nd 2023 - Rebel Moon: A Child Of Fire

???? - Rebel Moon: A Child of Fire Director's Cut

April 19 2024 - Rebel Moon: The Scargiver

???? - Rebel Moon: The Scargiver Director's Cut

November 2024 - Rebel Moon: The Whole Bloody Affair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Miching Mallecho posted:

I'll probably watch the PG-13 version after the R version, just to see what changed.

I always laugh at people complaining about movie length when it's a movie that's debuting on a streaming platform and you can watching it in chunks if you want and at home.

And I know there's going to be articles on rebel moon being too long :jerkbag:

And I know that it'll be written by someone who routinely binge-watches whole TV series in a weekend

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Detective No. 27 posted:

December 22nd 2023 - Rebel Moon: A Child Of Fire

???? - Rebel Moon: A Child of Fire Director's Cut

April 19 2024 - Rebel Moon: The Scargiver

???? - Rebel Moon: The Scargiver Director's Cut

November 2024 - Rebel Moon: The Whole Bloody Affair

Eeehhhhh...I'll wait for the Directors Cuts.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I forget but are the director's cuts to be rated R?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

They are!

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

RBA Starblade posted:

Watching a movie in chunks sucks, really kills the momentum or energy of it for me

How do you handle reading books?

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

KVeezy3 posted:

reading is for idiots, tv is twice as fast

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Ammanas posted:

reading is for idiots, tv is twice as fast

only if you read really slow, like goddamn

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

1000 words per picture, 24 frames a second... drat

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
tv is a documentary, and the events happen in real time.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

KVeezy3 posted:

One page at a time

Really though, the extremely obvious answer is that they are different mediums and one of them is typically more intended to be absorbed in one go and even then, I usually read novellas or short stories in a single sitting if at all possible.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Reading is for losers. Always be watching movies

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

MacheteZombie posted:

Reading is for losers. Always be watching movies

Snyder Sez: This comic sucks, watch 300! In theaters now 17* years ago

*dear god no that can't be true

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Ammanas posted:

tv is a documentary, and the events happen in real time.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Bogus Adventure posted:

And I know that it'll be written by someone who routinely binge-watches whole TV series in a weekend

Probably, yes.

I don’t agree with people who bitch about length for features as a general rule…a movie earns its length or it doesn’t, Avatar justifies 3 hours while Cocaine Bear was torture at 95 minutes.

But I also think a 4 hour movie is not that same as 4 hourlong episodes of TV. The story structures are different, they’re designed to be consumed as one thing or four things. I think those are qualitatively different experiences regardless of overall runtime.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Xealot posted:

Probably, yes.

I don’t agree with people who bitch about length for features as a general rule…a movie earns its length or it doesn’t, Avatar justifies 3 hours while Cocaine Bear was torture at 95 minutes.

But I also think a 4 hour movie is not that same as 4 hourlong episodes of TV. The story structures are different, they’re designed to be consumed as one thing or four things. I think those are qualitatively different experiences regardless of overall runtime.

Depends on the show. Andor has 3 episode arcs, The Wire has a season long arc, with episodes at best barely having a denouement, etc. Actually, now that I think about it, many of the best shows are barely episodic at all.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Watched the trailer a couple more times and every scene is a painting. It looks so drat good. Really nailed the color palette and conveys the mood really well.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

One page at a time

Really though, the extremely obvious answer is that they are different mediums and one of them is typically more intended to be absorbed in one go and even then, I usually read novellas or short stories in a single sitting if at all possible.

They might be different mediums, but the art of storytelling has existed forever. As far as movies, I'd argue the intentionality of one entire swallow, as inherent to it is a multi-act structure. Furthermore, most of its existence included interludes, until the profit motive deemed it a nuisance; the other part of the medium's history is home media, which divides it into chapters.

Maybe it's because I didn't get to watch movies in the theaters growing up, but I'm not at all precious about seeing them in one sitting. Maybe I would have actually enjoyed seeing "Everything Everywhere all at Once", if I didn't have to power through such an internet brain poisoned movie.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

KVeezy3 posted:

They might be different mediums, but the art of storytelling has existed forever. As far as movies, I'd argue the intentionality of one entire swallow, as inherent to it is a multi-act structure. Furthermore, most of its existence included interludes, until the profit motive deemed it a nuisance; the other part of the medium's history is home media, which divides it into chapters.

Maybe it's because I didn't get to watch movies in the theaters growing up, but I'm not at all precious about seeing them in one sitting. Maybe I would have actually enjoyed seeing "Everything Everywhere all at Once", if I didn't have to power through such an internet brain poisoned movie.

Be honest, would setting aside three different evenings really have made you think "oh boy! I get to watch this for a third night in a row!"?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

RBA Starblade posted:

Be honest, would setting aside three different evenings really have made you think "oh boy! I get to watch this for a third night in a row!"?

If you have kids you basically have to do this half the time anyway I dunno.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
lol "setting aside a whole evening". Bro, I don't get to start watching stuff uninterrupted before 10PM.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Whoops, wrong thread.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

RBA Starblade posted:

I watch a lot of movies and I get this feeling all the time. I re-watched Titanic over like 4 days a little while ago lmao.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

In my experience you just get to watch the first 40 min of the same movie over and over and

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

http://i.imgur.com/REKGwgx.gifv

http://i.imgur.com/ZC3KJex.gifv

http://i.imgur.com/uuAgFS7.gifv

http://i.imgur.com/uSBQNdK.gifv

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Let it go already

:haw:

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

This post is giving me repeat-viewing hype, drat and bless you for that. (Just need to find all the hours necessary to make it happen)

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Alexander Hamilton posted:

In my experience you just get to watch the first 40 min of the same movie over and over and

When my godson was maybe 4 years old, I made a supercut of all the prequel lightsaber duels for him to watch whenever I had to babysit. I just put that ~15 minute video on repeat, gave him a big bag of chips and some of my old Star Wars figures to play with while watching, and he was pretty much good for the next 3 hours lmao.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I was going to say make a super cut of neck snaps, but is it MoS and Owl movie only? Hopefully rebel moon brings some back.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

checkplease posted:

I was going to say make a super cut of neck snaps, but is it MoS and Owl movie only? Hopefully rebel moon brings some back.

Watchmen had one. I'm pretty sure at least a couple of the massive armies of goons in Sucker Punch featured neck snaps. Army of the Dead has at least one. 300 has one. Dawn of the Dead may not.

It's definitely a recurring thing for him.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Great, now I do want a super cut

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

checkplease posted:

Great, now I do want a super cut

Violator
May 15, 2003

Yes, yes...

https://twitter.com/milius_twt/status/1696128663044162019?s=46&t=wht2TRiRLsyBjgIQypXfoQ

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Zack knows his fans

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

Yes? I'm not sure I understand what's supposed to be unpleasant about that scenario. This applies even if it's for a film I've seen before, as the most painful part by far is settling on something to watch in the first place.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I put on The Two Jakes last night, then got too tired to finish it and watched the last ~50 minutes this morning, did I just commit some great cinematic crime?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

KVeezy3 posted:

Yes? I'm not sure I understand what's supposed to be unpleasant about that scenario. This applies even if it's for a film I've seen before, as the most painful part by far is settling on something to watch in the first place.

Personally, when I'm not enjoying something I stop watching it instead of planning how it could take up more of my life. Posting on the internet excepted of course

McSpanky posted:

I put on The Two Jakes last night, then got too tired to finish it and watched the last ~50 minutes this morning, did I just commit some great cinematic crime?

I'm afraid you're going to the Pathe for this

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Aug 29, 2023

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

McSpanky posted:

If you can make it through you get a cookie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

McSpanky posted:

Well, you did watch The Two Jakes so maybe?