Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Knormal posted:

The weirdest thing about The Loss to me is that apparently Troi is the ship's only counselor. You'd assume she's have like, assistants or something that would be better people to talk to and actually trained in this kind of thing, but apparently nope, just the other senior staff and Guinan.
One counselor for like 1000 crewmembers is Starfleet malpractice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Powered Descent posted:

The women of TNG got several good episodes but only one great episode each. Troi's was Face of the Enemy, Crusher's was Remember Me, and Yar's had to wait until two years after she DIED: Yesterday's Enterprise.

Crusher also got to fly the Enterprise into the sun that one time which was p cool.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

FlamingLiberal posted:

Especially given all the poo poo that crew went through. Between The Best of Both Worlds, The Inner Light, and Chain of Command, Picard by himself would be a full time job.

And speaking of...

MrMojok posted:

Just watched The Inner Light again.

Is it hyperbolic to say this is one of the best single tv episodes of all time, all genres?

Is that too much?
While The Inner Light isn't my top favorite TNG or Trek episode (those would probably be Tapestry and Far Beyond the Stars, respectively), it's definitely top ten TNG, and unlike some of my other favorites one of the things that makes it particularly impressive is that it's just a great sci fi story on its own. Take it out of the context of Star Trek and it's just as great; in fact, that's the context of the first time I saw it, in a sci-fi literature class I took in high school.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

FlamingLiberal posted:

And one doctor too.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Sash! posted:

And one doctor too.

That’s all we’ve ever needed.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

The flesh and blood counselor is for senior staff. Everybody else is expected to self-therapise using the holodeck.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Sash! posted:

And one doctor too.

There's at least a second doctor - Dr. Selar as played by Suzie Plakson. Only one on screen appearance, but she is mentioned a few other times during the series.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
We've only ever definitively had just one Doctor twice on a Star Trak. Phlox on the NX-01 because it was a small ship, and The Doctor on Voyager because everyone else was dead.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Continuing through Voyager S4, enjoyed the episode that’s basically Alien vs Predator. The Hirogen are such a flagrant ripoff of Predator that I can’t help but respect it.

Unfortunately it’s followed by Retrospect, an episode about how women be lyin to besmirch upstanding men. What a piece of poo poo. gently caress this episode.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Retrospect did NOT age well, to say the least...

The fact that the crew has more sympathy for the shady arms dealer than Seven is certainly something

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Gully Foyle posted:

There's at least a second doctor - Dr. Selar as played by Suzie Plakson. Only one on screen appearance, but she is mentioned a few other times during the series.

I mistakenly thought this was still talking about counselors and started thinking about what a Vulcan counselor would be like.

Vulcan Patient: I am experiencing shaking hands and distraction in my duties.

Vulcan Counselor: Your tense relationship with your father is causing physical symptoms to manifest.

Vulcan patient: Your logic is flawless, thank you.

Vulcan counselor: Gratitude is illogical.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Retrospect was intended to evoke the satanic panic and the lovely people who pushed the narrative like the doctor did in that episode, but the writers had to make sure the plot was different enough from a specific lifetime movie about date rape. You think that might have had them stop and rethink what they were doing, but apparently not.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think of the way that TNG doesn't really use Troi like it should and people don't generally want therapy as being because people of the 80s weren't really respectful of psychology and therapy, but what if it's the result of the extra-utopian nature of the TNG-era Federation where they've regressed in the field of therapy and counseling because most people are ashamed of their problems seeming insignificant in a time of such peace and plenty.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

FlamingLiberal posted:

DS9 didn’t even have a counselor. They had Bajoran religious leaders and Vic Fontaine.

Edit: And I think Keiko at one point?

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Aug 27, 2023

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Maybe if starfleet are gonna only have one therapist on ship to stave off the space madness she should spend most of her shifts in surgery instead of on the bridge telling Picard that Norgathx the Skull-Muncher is feeling peeved.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

AlternateNu posted:

DS9 didn’t even have a counselor. They had Bajoran religious leaders and Vic Fontaine.

Ezri was technically a counselor but part of her whole arc was "is Ezri Dax still a counselor like Ezri Tigan was?"

Beyond that, though, DS9 did have counselors, they just weren't senior staff so they didn't make it on screen. Off the top of my head, O'Brien is sent to see one in "Hard Time."

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Who Mourns for Adonais manages to have the single most sexist exchange in all of the Star Trek I've seen from basically any series.

Holy wow.

Scotty asks a girl out and she accepts, so Kirk and McCoy give him poo poo for being old and ugly and her being too hot for him. This is bad, but pretty standard for the series.

Then, the two start lamenting that eventually she will find a proper man and when that happens, Starfleet will lose a great officer.

This is followed by a giant gas hand from the planet below grabbing their ship.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's sad, because it also has some really fantastic scenes with Spock on the bridge working with the crew.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I gotta ask though, is that a wig on Chekhov?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Atlas Hugged posted:

I gotta ask though, is that a wig on Chekhov?

Walter Koenig posted:

They put me in a lady’s wig for my first six or seven episodes, until I could grow my own hair out. But then my hair was already starting to thin, so they had to spray it and comb it forward. It took a little work to make me appealing to the preteen crowd.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Is Apollo about to cuck Scotty?

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

AlternateNu posted:

DS9 did in fact have a counsellor. They're mentioned in the O'Brien Mind Prison episode as someone O'Brien is seeing. You just never see them.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I feel like I'm the only person who hates Far Beyond The Stars. I don't like any episode of a show that goes "Maybe it's not real??"
I probably wouldn't care at all if I'd only seen it later when I could binge it but having that episode after a week of waiting was like "ugh gently caress that"

Especially since every show at the time seemed to HAVE to have that one episode.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Taear posted:

I feel like I'm the only person who hates Far Beyond The Stars. I don't like any episode of a show that goes "Maybe it's not real??"
I probably wouldn't care at all if I'd only seen it later when I could binge it but having that episode after a week of waiting was like "ugh gently caress that"

Especially since every show at the time seemed to HAVE to have that one episode.

I don't hate it but I am extremely glad they didn't end the series on the "kid looking at a snow globe" ending that was proposed where the camera pulls out from the set and old Benny Hill is watching them film DS9.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
This episode is a lot like Space Seed, with Apollo wanting the crew and Khan wanting the ship.

And so I'm hoping they bring back Apollo in the next live action movie.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

It's kind of weird that it's a recurring thing on DS9 where Keiko is unable to find anything to do as a botanist. They're right next to a whole new quadrant, aren't there any returning Federation vessels with plant samples that need to be analyzed? There's a whole running thing in the first few seasons about a famine on Bajor, couldn't they use the help of a botanist there? I think she does end up doing something like that eventually, but only as a fallback after being a teacher.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

They moved to DS9 with the intention of her being a botanist for Bajor as her day-to-day, but the station gets moved a six hour flight away from Bajor in the first episode, so the only way for her to do it in the end is for her to move to Bajor and go long distance with O'Brien.

I assume science ships surveying the gamma quadrant usually have their own onboard botanical departments.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I just feel like the writers had her be a botanist for the same reason that writers always make people be architects.

It sounds like a job a smart, successful person would have but no one knows what they actually do day to day so the writers also don't have to know poo poo about the profession.

They never wanted Keiko to be happy on the station because they wanted tension in O'Brien's life so they had to invent obstacles for her and career was what they settled on.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

If they had the money for a set in a hydroponics lab she might have done more.

Would have been fun for the other sets to gradually get full of weird plants though.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
They had a perfectly good botany lab when Sulu was briefly in the science department. Just copy that.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Atlas Hugged posted:

I just feel like the writers had her be a botanist for the same reason that writers always make people be architects.

It sounds like a job a smart, successful person would have but no one knows what they actually do day to day so the writers also don't have to know poo poo about the profession.

They never wanted Keiko to be happy on the station because they wanted tension in O'Brien's life so they had to invent obstacles for her and career was what they settled on.

She was introduced before DS9 was conceived, though, and botanist is a pretty good fit for 'minor research job on a galaxy-class starship'.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Eighties ZomCom posted:

DS9 did in fact have a counsellor. They're mentioned in the O'Brien Mind Prison episode as someone O'Brien is seeing. You just never see them.

And in season 7 the counselor was Ezri

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Atlas Hugged posted:

They had a perfectly good botany lab when Sulu was briefly in the science department. Just copy that.

actually I'm surprised how TOS the arboretum from TNG looked

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

8one6 posted:

I don't hate it but I am extremely glad they didn't end the series on the "kid looking at a snow globe" ending that was proposed where the camera pulls out from the set and old Benny Hill is watching them film DS9.

I still can't believe that was seriously considered, given that Far Beyond the Stars literally has a scene where the racist editor proposes making the story a dream as a compromise.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

MikeJF posted:

They moved to DS9 with the intention of her being a botanist for Bajor as her day-to-day, but the station gets moved a six hour flight away from Bajor in the first episode, so the only way for her to do it in the end is for her to move to Bajor and go long distance with O'Brien.

I assume science ships surveying the gamma quadrant usually have their own onboard botanical departments.

Which is a problem with an easy solution, because it's a six hour trip at impulse using Bajoran transport ships because Bajor is still rebuilding and can't support that many warp vessels.

Requisition the poor woman one of those tiny shoebox-looking shuttlepods from TNG S2 and let her have a five minute commute.

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Aug 27, 2023

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Also while I can understand that remote work wasn't as big a thing when they were writing it, they have instant comms in universe. You just need lab techs or grad students on Bajor itself, she could still direct research and analyze data from DS9.

Although yeah, the real out of universe reason is that they needed a source of conflict with O'Brien because wives, amirite?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
So Uhura's dead right? Like her memory was erased and they just taught her what she was supposed to know? That's not the same loving woman.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Which is a problem with an easy solution, because it's a six hour trip at impulse using Bajoran transport ships because Bajor is still rebuilding and can't support that many warp vessels.

Requisition the poor woman one of those tiny shoebox-looking shuttlepods from TNG S2 and let her have a five minute commute.

It's a six hour trip by runabout, they were still adhering to the 'it's not safe to warp deep into star systems' rule back then.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Atlas Hugged posted:

So Uhura's dead right? Like her memory was erased and they just taught her what she was supposed to know? That's not the same loving woman.

nah she was remembering swahili at the end, she just needed something to jog her memory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

MikeJF posted:

It's a six hour trip by runabout, they were still adhering to the 'it's not safe to warp deep into star systems' rule back then.

And, of course, Star Trek never engages with the actual implications of their technology so no one says "what if we built a network of small stations that are little more than reactors and transporters, so that we can leap frog people from buffer to buffer without materializing them, moving them inside star systems faster than impulse?"