Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clowner
Dec 13, 2006

Further in
Picked up the new armored core and unfortunately everything is in the local language with no English options :) wish me luck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
mobas are just cooldown based fighting games, a lot of people hate cooldown based combat but most of the negativity comes from the multiplayer part

i don't believe theres anything overly worse about a community of people playing an online fighting game than there are people playing shooting games or really people doing anything involving games or activities where people are trying to "do better" than the other team

i used to play a fair bit of 5 a side football and 95% of people were just fine, turned up, were happy to play a game for an hour and then call it a day, there were 2 really really bad eggs in my time. One, tall lad named Kevin who worked in the local cornershop, once didn't get the ball passed to him for a certain goal so refused to interact with the rest of the players, stepping over the goal and eventually deliberately scoring into his own net. The other was a younger brother of a regular treating it as if he was being scouted by a Premier League team, just obnoxiously mouthy and over the top with the language used - turned up in a full kit as well, socks and all - Rangers if anyone is interested because to me that makes it funnier. Kicked his shoe off his foot and over the pitch walls in a sulk. Little Brat

It's the same with Dota 2. I've met 2 legit awful people. One was called Ross, the tragedy is he was a competent player but just an outright sulker, liked to tell others what to do as well, he once left a game we were playing because a takeaway order had turned up with the wrong pizza, the game was already going poorly but that was enough, just stormed off - eventually we had a group vote to kick him from the discord because of how obnoxious he was being. The other was some German dude I played a dozen games with or so, he seemed nice and pretty good compared to me so seemed fine. Out of nowhere he started using the N word in a game, got told not too and continued anyway, didn't want to be around that so he got booted too

so yeah, most Dota 2 players are fine, I've met some really nice people I've played with for years - a couple i'm inviting to my wedding for one - so it's not all man children and racists but there are definitely a few out there

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

"mobas are fighting games" is extremely funny

itry
Aug 23, 2019

satanic splash-back posted:

"mobas are fighting games" is extremely funny

It's a game and you're fighting someone. Also, you play a role, and therefore--

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Hot take: Indigo Prophecy is a fighting game since you fight to learn the truth behind a sinister story.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Mobas seem to bring out the worst in people. Knew a guy that was really nice and all around good dude until he started playing a moba. Then he turned into the most confrontational piece of poo poo that constantly insulted people and told them what to do. He was constantly getting reported and stuck in the "bad" league or whatever in DOTA2. He would crawl himself out of the lovely roation or whatever only to be sent back after a couple of games. He would reguarly change his name to "gently caress you report me" because of how much he hated his teammates.

Its one of the reasons I stopped playing mobas. The other being they are way too tucking long and the knowledge required to play them was insane. I would also fall apart in team fights because all the particle effects and other poo poo made it an incomprehensible mess to parse.

They were a blast when it was just friends playing and it was casual but there was still a good chance someone would gently caress up and it would devolve into blood fueds.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Clowner posted:

Picked up the new armored core and unfortunately everything is in the local language with no English options :) wish me luck

The language option is on the title screen

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
boobas

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

JollyBoyJohn posted:

mobas are just cooldown based fighting games, a lot of people hate cooldown based combat but most of the negativity comes from the multiplayer part

i don't believe theres anything overly worse about a community of people playing an online fighting game than there are people playing shooting games or really people doing anything involving games or activities where people are trying to "do better" than the other team

Competitive online games bring the worst out in people and most of them are fundamentally about half the players wasting their time and not having fun. Occasionally they'll make a game that's still fun when losing but for the most part losing is bad and depending on how much time or effort was spent in the process seems proportional to the negative emotions and behaviour. On top of that being competitive just comes with a lot of aggro behaviour by its nature.

Since some MOBAS take longer to start a match than some people would want to spend on an entire match of anything online, and then have long periods of rote gameplay that's also vital to the match and if you or anyone fucks up or doesn't know whats going on then multiple people will have wasted a bunch of time.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

itry posted:

It's a game and you're fighting someone. Also, you play a role, and therefore--

it's a fighting game in the sense that your team is having a pants-making GBS threads meltdown argument because somebody bought one wrong item for their build

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Fur20 posted:

it's a fighting game in the sense that your team is having a pants-making GBS threads meltdown argument because somebody bought one wrong item for their build

There's lots of ways to play. You can fight the opposition, you can fight your team, you can fight yourself. You can even fight the devs after you get banned from online-play. Tons of variety.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Most moba players are fine except the racists and full kit wankers

Is what I got out of that jbj post

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
I played Overwatch with goons once. Someone said the N word and when I told him not to he said "sorry I've had a bad day".

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

George posted:

I played Overwatch with goons once. Someone said the N word and when I told him not to he said "sorry I've had a bad day".

Gamer day

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
Overwatch kicked rear end when it first came out. I was loving addicted to that poo poo. After the first couple balance patches it was in such a good place that I genuinely wanted to look into being an esports douche because of it. Then like a month later all the changes made to it in the interim had rendered it completely unplayable and possibly the worst loving online shooter in recent memory. Never again.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

if mobas are fighting games does that mean that warcraft 3 is technically an arcade tournament fighter

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

Giving Baldur's Gate 3 a try and I dunno man.

First off, it feels exactly like Divinity II which I played last year. Like, everything about it feels the same. I feel like I've already played this.

But more than that, I think it's just the way these games absolutely chuck little options at you constantly. You walk into a room and there are 20 people to talk to and things to inspect, and I just don't think I have the patience for it. It feels like you do nothing but wade around in the shallows. Or at least, to get beyond that requires an investment of time that I don't think it necessary to get there, and will be tedious. I played 20 hours of Divinity II and never felt like the game really started, then I realised that was all there was going to be. Constantly wondering 'did that matter?'.

I'll give it a few more hours and see, because I've been wrong before and ended up loving certain games. Could just be a slow start but even though the writing is decent, and some of the characters seem interesting, I think my feeling about these CRPGs are just that they are the most boring possible way to deliver an experience I actually want.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Aug 26, 2023

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

syntaxfunction posted:

I was hoping MOBAs would establish a trend of weird mods for games becoming eSports, but we still haven't seen the professional Gary's Mod league and I'm disappointed.
esports Trouble In Terrorist Town
esports Surf maps
esports Dark RP (or whatever the gently caress it was called)

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

JollyBoyJohn posted:

My favorite cooldown based fighting game is Super Mario Brothers

Wait no, it's actually Command and Conquer

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

roomtone posted:

First off, it feels exactly like Divinity II which I played last year. Like, everything about it feels the same. I feel like I've already played this.

But more than that, I think it's just the way these games absolutely chuck little options at you constantly. You walk into a room and there are 20 people to talk to and things to inspect, and I just don't think I have the patience for it. It feels like you do nothing but wade around in the shallows. Or at least, to get beyond that requires an investment of time that I don't think it necessary to get there, and will be tedious. I played 20 hours of Divinity II and never felt like the game really started, then I realised that was all there was going to be. Constantly wondering 'did that matter?'.

I'll give it a few more hours and see, because I've been wrong before and ended up loving certain games. Could just be a slow start but even though the writing is decent, and some of the characters seem interesting, I think my feeling about these CRPGs are just that they are the most boring possible way to deliver an experience I actually want.

I mean you could be playing the best football game ever made and not like football. But yeah it's really good at what it does so if you're gonna give any CRPG a shot, this one's your best bet.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

roomtone posted:

It's by the same developers :ssh:

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

roomtone posted:

i dont think you like that genre of game

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Vic posted:

I mean you could be playing the best football game ever made and not like football. But yeah it's really good at what it does so if you're gonna give any CRPG a shot, this one's your best bet.

Football sucks but football games are actually kind of fun occasionally

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

big black turnout posted:

Football sucks but football games are actually kind of fun occasionally

yeah... wrestling games are great* too

*the 1998 - 2008 era ones

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

roomtone posted:

I mostly feel the same way despite having fun with (most of) BG3 and I will warn you ahead of time that act 3 will be Hell in Videogame Form to you if you don't like being shoved into boxes with 50 different characters to talk to and only one or two say anything meaningful. I played Act 1-2 three times and had fun with them but every time I hit act 3 I immediately lose interest in the game because you're dumped in a giant city with like 1,000+ NPCs and told to go talk to them all until you figure out which ones have quests for you.

Also it's full of loose ends, cut content, stuff that makes no sense because related stuff that got cut, it's missing literally the entirety of the ending epilogue slides, at least one companion quest is missing its ending, two of the entire zones that were planned for act 3 got cut but quests that involved them didn't get moved anywhere so they just go nowhere, one of the main plot threads makes absolutely no sense because it got half-rewritten shortly before release and everything about it is vestigal and weird, and just overall the game falls apart in a3.

e: D:OS and D:OS2 are better than BG3 right now but BG3 will probably be closer to them when it gets its inevitable enhanced edition, as is tradition for Larian games.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Aug 27, 2023

Clowner
Dec 13, 2006

Further in

deep dish peat moss posted:

The language option is on the title screen

Wow, how could I have missed that! Oh wait

Like I said, there's no English option for text.

Thanks for assuming I'm an idiot though.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Clowner posted:

You said it was everything, not just text :smug:

You also said it's all in the local language, even though they clearly have simplified ZH and Korean :smuggo:

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
I know two people who used to be heroin addicts, went to rehab a few times, and now play hours and hours of League of Legends every day. They don’t even like it. I could be talking with one of them, or playing some other game and theyll go “sorry I have to go play LoL” like they have to go to work.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

I know two people who used to be heroin addicts, went to rehab a few times, and now play hours and hours of League of Legends every day. They don’t even like it. I could be talking with one of them, or playing some other game and theyll go “sorry I have to go play LoL” like they have to go to work.

if either of the dudes I know who died from shooting up still played games, 100% it would be MOBAs, and they'd for sure get really mad about them

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

God isn't watching you... but I am!

Vic posted:

yeah... wrestling games are great* too

*the 1998 - 2008 era ones

NO MERCY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZB-_H6eJ9c

Also this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2KBk7kewAY

Vile_Nihlist666 fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Aug 27, 2023

itry
Aug 23, 2019

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

Perhaps they should be making some studies researching the viability of LoL as a treatment for drug addiction . That way at least something good comes of that terrible game.

Assuming those studies don't already exist.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

itry posted:

Perhaps they should be making some studies researching the viability of LoL as a treatment for drug addiction . That way at least something good comes of that terrible game.

poo poo, way back when WoW first released, it got one of my acquaintances completely clean. I don't know if he'd been addicted per se, but he def did quite a bit of coke, shrooms, and idk what else.

He got so thoroughly hooked on WoW that he refused to leave his home long enough to go meet his dealer.

I'm not sure his WoW addition was an improvement, but it did at least get him off the drugs.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Clowner posted:

oh I'm sorry, I forgot that people game on things other than PCs :wtc:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

plus the only language I speak is shotgun bully anyway. Look at this I killed the hardest boss in the game in 49 seconds by playing very badly while being a shotgun bully

https://i.imgur.com/xADk5bC.mp4

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

When I was younger I laughed at adults that acted like gaming was an addiction.

Now being someone that works with addicts it really alarms me how many gamers act like actual drug addicts. You get those that act like gaming is their full-time job (kinda true except they don't get paid...watch them bring up esports when you say this) then you get those that act like crackheads getting into wide-eyed life or death rage if you get in front of their "fix".

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

itry posted:

Listen man, they're trying to improve those people's lives, not send them into an even darker place

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Multiplayer games should be about inviting your friends over, not spending hours alone.

People moan about shooters not having enough progression. I want the opposite of that. Everything should be unlocked so you get as much variety as possible without one person having to grind to unlock all the characters or maps or whatever.

All that mattered was that you were as good as your friends. You weren't screaming at some stranger for losing a match and causing you to fall back to silver rank. If you were that obsessed with being the best player in the world then your friends would just get sick of playing with you.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
So the thing with mobas, is that unlike most other games, they evoke road rage.

Road rage comes from the stress of having to cooperate with strangers; strangers performing badly can impede you performing well at your task, and the threat of that (and that happening) makes some people irrationally mad. I guess it's like a control issue?

Anyway, yeah, the game itself is good, and the community is generally fine, it's just that there's a psychological impact at play.

My controversial opinion is that all the people ragging on them as inherently bad either haven't given them a fair go, or suffer from road rage. Im not some weird super intense apologist, but everyone I've ever convinced to play lol with me has had a great time and asked to play again. Some of them have gotten kinda obsessed, most haven't, but they've all gone on to play it on their own a bit as well, because it's just good fun.

I get not wanting to put in three games to get the hang of it, sure that's a frustrating hurdle. But I think the moment to moment gameplay of spacing, aim, preempting, baiting, managing your cool downs and teamwork is just undeniably a 'good game'.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Caesar Saladin posted:

Listen man, they're trying to improve those people's lives, not send them into an even darker place

Hmm, I see what you mean :hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
I'm too old to play video games and I'm frankly disappointed that the government is not trying to make me stop