Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
My first Android phone was the HTC Desire. The update from Android 2.2 to 2.3 or whatever required one to wipe the entire phone because the onboard storage was too small to allow an inplace updgrade. Good times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

WattsvilleBlues posted:

My first Android phone was the HTC Desire. The update from Android 2.2 to 2.3 or whatever required one to wipe the entire phone because the onboard storage was too small to allow an inplace updgrade. Good times.

I remember that. Gotta love huge dot-release changes.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

FAUXTON posted:

there was something about wiping a bunch of stuff multiple times

The hardest part of flashing a new os is unlocking/cracking the bootloader which is completely different on different models.
In some you have to go through a big multi step process to exploit some vulnerability and essentially hack in (albeit with a pre made exploit that someone else on the xda forums already wrote for you)

In others, including HTC phones since 2011, you can just use a friendly official dev process left in specifically for that purpose.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

*laughs in Verizon*

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Whelp, you didn't buy the small phones.

https://9to5google.com/2023/08/26/asus-zenfone-series-ending-report/

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

rip I liked my zen3

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

gently caress

God damnit

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

rip, literally was considering the zenfone this past week

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

got friendzoned by zenphone

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Yeah small phone folks are just gonna have to accept reality. They are a tremendously small niche. Like their phone.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
There's still the Jelly 2E

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Everyone I know who wants a small phone just gets a Samsung. The base S23 is basically the same size as the Zenfone 10.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
Oh and don't forget the Cubot King Kong Mini 3

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

On paper I'd rather have a Zenfone with its plastic back, 3.5mm jack and even better battery life but they made it difficult to buy at all in the US (let alone with carrier discounts/trade-in deals) and they really can't expect people to believe that they'll live up to the new 4 years of updates policy if they're scrapping the line.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
I've been having a weird intermittent bug that's persisted across reboots where sometimes, when I bring up the app switcher, only the left third of the screen is responsive. Is this some sort of gesture "feature" that I'm accidentally triggering? My phone is a 6a.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

disaster pastor posted:

Everyone I know who wants a small phone just gets a Samsung. The base S23 is basically the same size as the Zenfone 10.

Can you tweak the poo poo out of a Samsung and make it work like a Pixel? Like change the button from Bixby to Assistant and stuff. I've dreaded switching to a Samsung because of the bloatware but as a small handed individual I now have no choice. :smith:

edit: I am being overly dramatic here because I'm gonna get the Zenphone 10 and have 2-3 more years before whatever comes next.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
It should be possible to flash a new OS, so you can ditch all the samsung crap and replace it with LineageOS or the stock pixel OS.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

smoobles posted:

Can you tweak the poo poo out of a Samsung and make it work like a Pixel? Like change the button from Bixby to Assistant and stuff. I've dreaded switching to a Samsung because of the bloatware but as a small handed individual I now have no choice. :smith:

edit: I am being overly dramatic here because I'm gonna get the Zenphone 10 and have 2-3 more years before whatever comes next.

There is no Bixby button anymore. I install a different launcher, disable/remove the Samsung apps I don't want (though Samsung Internet is legitimately a good browser), and then it's no different from using any other Android phone.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Kirios posted:

Yeah small phone folks are just gonna have to accept reality. They are a tremendously small niche. Like their phone.

I'm guessing that the small-phone niche is going to switch over to flip form-factors. A flip would be great for my usage, but since I'm in the US my only options would be Samsung, which I'm generally not fond of, or Motorola, which LOL, just LOL.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
I saw the latest Z Flip store demo unit before it was released, and the crease was already hosed beyond belief, like a speed hump on a road.

You couldn't pay me to own a foldable screen phone. I get the idea, but it just seems it's a consumable item that's gonna be replaced a couple of times over the lifespan of the phone.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Puddin posted:

I saw the latest Z Flip store demo unit before it was released, and the crease was already hosed beyond belief, like a speed hump on a road.

You couldn't pay me to own a foldable screen phone. I get the idea, but it just seems it's a consumable item that's gonna be replaced a couple of times over the lifespan of the phone.

Yeah, I do think it's odd that the push ended up being to one continuous folding screen instead of two discrete screens, despite any awkwardness a seam might cause.

My partner loves the fold form-factor, and is rocking a dual-screen LG folding LG phone where the second screen is discrete, and she loves it. It's still supported, but showing its age, and right now it looks like her only option is Samsung, since T-Mobile doesn't do payments on the Pixel Fold. I've counseled her to be patient, and have tried in the past to convince her to change carriers but she really likes her grandfathered T-Mobile plan and doesn't want to give it up.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

It should be possible to flash a new OS, so you can ditch all the samsung crap and replace it with LineageOS or the stock pixel OS.

Pixel OS isn't stock, and you can't install it on a Galaxy. You might find something that resembles the Pixel OS, but chances are it'll be a bit of a mess.

You can go the usual route of downloading a package disabler, disabling everything some rando on a Reddit thread said is "just bloat that you can totally disable no problem" then come back to this thread to complain about your phone behaving erratically and glitching out.

Or you can just buy your phone, use it, and enjoy it like a normal person.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

most of the preinstalled crap on my samsung phone could just be uninstalled the normal way without fiddling with disabler scripts

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Long term who knows but after two weeks I've really fallen for the fold 5 form factor. Overall it doesn't feel much heavier or unweildly coming from an S21+ but the fold out screen just continues to blow me away in utility and enjoyability. I hope it doesn't gently caress itself too quickly.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
aw man the Zenphone is a goner already? that sucks

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I see a lot of YT videos of people getting rid of the more Samsungy elements of their Samsungs, seems fine.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

smoobles posted:

I see a lot of YT videos of people getting rid of the more Samsungy elements of their Samsungs, seems fine.

I've been using them since the S7, so I guess going to a clean Android phone would probably confuse me now.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

No matter what, you can't fix the janky notification stuff about OneUI. If you are fine with it, more power to you, but some of the decisions are baffling (like not taking me directly to a notification channel if I choose to modify the notifcation and make me guess what channel surfaced the notification.)

Also no automatic call screening with google assistant.

No ability to natively set DnD schedula via calendar.

It's funny, they finally got OneUI to the point where the boat that's there doesn't bother me, but now the differences are every day quality of life things that can't easily be replicated on Samsung devices that makes them feel a hell of a lot less smart.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I'd say I don't know what I'm missing at this point. I guess I'll try something else in a couple of years/when the fold breaks whichever comes first

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA
Bring back the LG Envy 2's form factor, I swear to god.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Desk Lamp posted:

Pixel OS isn't stock, and you can't install it on a Galaxy. You might find something that resembles the Pixel OS, but chances are it'll be a bit of a mess.

there is a flashable "generic system image" (GSI) for "pixel experience" although looking further it is apparently an unofficial package so idk what's up with it

quote:

Or you can just buy your phone, use it, and enjoy it like a normal person.

in an ideal world everyone would be able to do this and not worry about random preinstalled anti-user stuff
sadly it seems only apple and google care about having a good experience like that. everyone else would rather annoy their users for a few extra adbux

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Aug 28, 2023

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Like I said, Samsung is MOSTLY ok in the pre-installed stuff situation. A lot of stuff can be uninstalled. Though I still don't know why they pre-install their own Messages app when it defaults to Google Messages.

The biggest objections to junkware I have are:

Baking Hiya into the phone app for "spam" blocking when Hiya is an advertising company. When the front page of your call spam filtering partner says "Get More Calls Answered with Branded Call", you get the feeling that the user of the device is the product rather than the customer. Great racket though, pose as spam filtering while showing verified status for the very spammers that you want to keep out.

Baking McAfee into some do nothing app scanning threat monitoring application that has a defined place in the main system settings.

You shouldn't be hit with 3rd party TOS agreements when going through system settings of your phone.

Otherwise, it's just functionality frictions which aren't easily fixed by slapping on a launcher or uninstalling apps.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

bull3964 posted:

Baking Hiya into the phone app for "spam" blocking when Hiya is an advertising company. When the front page of your call spam filtering partner says "Get More Calls Answered with Branded Call", you get the feeling that the user of the device is the product rather than the customer. Great racket though, pose as spam filtering while showing verified status for the very spammers that you want to keep out.

this one is halfway legit though, or at least not as bad as it sounds. any us company official enough to have a name and brand has to actually follow the do-not-call registry. once you sign up to it they can't send out unsolicited spam calls without getting in legal trouble (*). so the big soulless corporations spending money on branded caller id won't really be able to spam you regardless
the spam calls nowadays are all robocalls outta china or somewhere similar where they don't care about US law and definitely don't have a legit brand identity attached

(*) unless it's for political canvassing around an election, in which case it's specifically excluded from anti-spam laws

but really it's just a caller id app where ~brands~ pay extra to make their caller id fancier

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Aug 28, 2023

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
I'm old enough to remember when people got probation for not using capital letters.

What's the jank like on Samsung phones these days? Samsung claimed to have eliminated it from the Galaxy S6 but that was a lie. My S7 had its fair share of UI stuttering too.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

It's been gone since the S8

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I'm old enough to remember when people got probation for not using capital letters.

What's the jank like on Samsung phones these days? Samsung claimed to have eliminated it from the Galaxy S6 but that was a lie. My S7 had its fair share of UI stuttering too.

In my unscientific comparison testing, I'd put it on par with the Pixel 7, they both still have the occasional Android quirks but day to day use is smooth as can be. Definitely better than what the Pixel 6 used to be, but I imagine that phone has improved since I last saw it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://www.androidpolice.com/zenfones-here-stay-asus-teasing-zenfone-11/

zenfone lives?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

when the gently caress is Zenphone 10 arriving in the USA

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

smoobles posted:

when the gently caress is Zenphone 10 arriving in the USA

It was released last week.

https://www.asus.com/us/mobile-handhelds/phones/zenfone/zenfone-10/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taco_fox
Dec 14, 2005

Are there any reviewers that test phone cameras with anything other than perfectly still targets? I'm interested in the Zenfone 10 because of its form factor, but I want a camera that won't choke when my dog is moving