Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
https://youtube.com/@TheRasteri hasn’t ever said anything dodgy, best I can tell. Spends his time turning pc104 boards that have high clocked relatives of the 486 on them into things like the “weecee” and then designing/building a pc104 sound card for them to make what’s basically a retro pc all-in-one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Kung-Fu Jesus posted:

It seems Steve decided to take the online criticism of not contacting LMG before that video went out by making another Big Video about all their policies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ot6roLarLHo

Really sucks that he feels that he needs to give the time of day to all the linus chodes but that's what makes him better anyways.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Kerbtree posted:

https://youtube.com/@TheRasteri hasn’t ever said anything dodgy, best I can tell. Spends his time turning pc104 boards that have high clocked relatives of the 486 on them into things like the “weecee” and then designing/building a pc104 sound card for them to make what’s basically a retro pc all-in-one.

TheRasteri is loving awesome, I love his projects

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Kung-Fu Jesus posted:

It seems Steve decided to take the online criticism of not contacting LMG before that video went out by making another Big Video about all their policies

Here is the criteria LTT met for their 'no contact prior to piece' policy:

Luckily Steve didn't smile during this segment.

Kung-Fu Jesus
Dec 13, 2003

When he was talking about his new website early in the video, my youtube brain was prepared for a segue to a sponsor spot for squarespace, which he did not give. They did build it with squarespace though.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I had that case in the video with the removable motherboard tray, and it ruled. Can't remember the name of it but recognize the power button from the vid (I just scrubbed through to the case bit)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

priznat posted:

I had that case in the video with the removable motherboard tray, and it ruled. Can't remember the name of it but recognize the power button from the vid (I just scrubbed through to the case bit)

InWin Q500N

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

Jeff Fatwood posted:

TheRasteri is loving awesome, I love his projects

I found out about TheRasteri's channel because he posts in the DJs subreddit every now and then when he has something DJ tech related to share, which is right up my alley, and subscribed because his other non-DJ related videos are also as interesting.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Kung-Fu Jesus posted:

Its been pulled :tinfoil:

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Mega Comrade posted:

Its been pulled :tinfoil:

Spite lawsuit from LTT? Death threats by LTT fans? One wrong decimal in a graph? The world wonders.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/post/Ugkxf7XU1N6ySrRcJntDqU083NX6m8K0w1R_

No, it's just Steve being extra careful and having integrity.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
It didn't seem bad to me, I gave it a watch when it was up but maybe it was felt it was a little too Steve-snarky.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Rinkles posted:

Maybe it’s just following the algorithm, but video titles like this annoy me

DeArrow exists for this reason. This one is actually renamed "Improving PC temperatures using custom Fan ducts"

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Jeff Fatwood posted:

https://www.youtube.com/post/Ugkxf7XU1N6ySrRcJntDqU083NX6m8K0w1R_

No, it's just Steve being extra careful and having integrity.

I have to say, I was a third of the way through the video, and I don't see what was so bad about the tone or delivery? It seemed like he was just stating GN's policies matter-of-factly to me. Or did he, gasp, smile again at some point?

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I have to say, I was a third of the way through the video, and I don't see what was so bad about the tone or delivery? It seemed like he was just stating GN's policies matter-of-factly to me. Or did he, gasp, smile again at some point?

Literally nothing. The timing is bad though since the LTT hordes are out for blood because Linus shed another tear on video and I wouldn't want to deal with their poo poo either.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
I can't see the video, but if it's what you describe I have to wonder what GN think it will achieve.
Its only going to lead to Linus Stan's accusing GN of drama farming. They should just move on and never mention it again.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Aug 27, 2023

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Yeah, at this point the kerfuffle is probably a gigantic headache for the GN folks. Steve even said in the first video that they were going to have to deal with a bunch of hatemail and potentially issues with industry contacts pulling away.

In any case, the damage to LMG is already done. Barring GN hiring a journalist with expertise in Canadian employment law and sexual harassment, there's nothing more for them to say on the matter.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Mega Comrade posted:

I can't see the video, but if it's what you describe I have to wonder what GN think it will achieve.
Its only going to lead to Linus Stan's accusing GN of drama farming. They should just move on and never mention it again.

He mentioned linus for like a minute in the 45 minute video. The video was by and large about their policies about when they do and don't contact the subjects of stories prior to publication. They also apparently went over some of their policies on how they handle their relationships to the brands they cover and to other media and content creators, as well as a few other ethics-related policies. Here's the full list of topics covered if you're interested:

I didn't see any drama stoking happen from what I saw. It was delivered in a very dry and neutral manner. There's been a lot of conversation about these topics over the last couple weeks, and I think it's worth going over them and being open about your outlet's policies regarding them.

edit: Most of the video was just Steve reading the stuff here in front of a camera, so give these a read if you want to see what was discussed: https://gamers.nexus/ethics-statements

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Aug 27, 2023

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Kerbtree posted:

I was about to recommend TheRasteri as well.

Also, I would be entirely unsurprised to learn that they're a goon.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Mokotow posted:

To be fair, Alex’s “LOUD=FUNNY!!!!” shtick deserves all the negative comments it can get.

This doesn't sound like something that deserves an unyielding glut of negative comments but it does sound like maybe you are the problem here

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

He mentioned linus for like a minute in the 45 minute video. The video was by and large about their policies about when they do and don't contact the subjects of stories prior to publication. They also apparently went over some of their policies on how they handle their relationships to the brands they cover and to other media and content creators, as well as a few other ethics-related policies. Here's the full list of topics covered if you're interested:

I didn't see any drama stoking happen from what I saw. It was delivered in a very dry and neutral manner. There's been a lot of conversation about these topics over the last couple weeks, and I think it's worth going over them and being open about your outlet's policies regarding them.

edit: Most of the video was just Steve reading the stuff here in front of a camera, so give these a read if you want to see what was discussed: https://gamers.nexus/ethics-statements

Sounds like a fascinating video, what a shame they pulled it :suicide:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

idk if this sheds light on anything, but they also quickly changed the thumbnail/title (but that's not uncommon for gn), before taking the video down

i guess maybe they wanted to make it more about how GN approaches these issues, than the larger controversy

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

They probably wanted to avoid giving people the first impression that it was directly about the LMG controversy, so they just put everyone's logos in there with LTT being one of the smallest and off to the side.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

if it was unclear, the first thumbnail is the older one

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

The Grumbles posted:

This doesn't sound like something that deserves an unyielding glut of negative comments but it does sound like maybe you are the problem here

It’s just a joke, chill. I’ve been watching these guys for over a decade.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

linus stans are having a field day with that video retraction

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The few seconds after the marked timestamp in the URL, the rest of the video is useless...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5YuKZpH4Dw&t=10s

The gently caress is wrong with this guy.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Asmon “if the people in East Palestine don’t like it they should move” gold?

Oh buddy

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Combat Pretzel posted:

The gently caress is wrong with this guy.

How long have you got?

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
the more hosed up a person is, the more popular they tend to get on youtube and twitch. obviously helps if you give some fence-sitting lip service to deranged right-wing talking points from time to time

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

I see his ugly youtube thumbnail face every day despite constantly clicking "not interested" and "Don't recommend this channel".

It's awful.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Malaria posted:

I see his ugly youtube thumbnail face every day despite constantly clicking "not interested" and "Don't recommend this channel".

It's awful.

i find myself almost exclusive watching vids on BiliBili (china's YT) than YT now since the former actively mods down all the clickbait poo poo and provides far better recs, even the chinese tech reviews are also better IMO

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
My YouTube recs are full of 12 hour dog music videos, lawn mowing videos and dashcams Australia. YouTube gets me.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
i've disabled most recommended videos and used blocktube to remove the worst offenders. pretty decent, but youtube's not exactly amazing for information since so many channels chase the algorithm in various ways

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

CBD Corndog posted:

Asmon “if the people in East Palestine don’t like it they should move” gold?

Oh buddy
No, Linus slamming/dropping the box like it's no biggie, despite knowing better. More so with that chonky unsupported 4090 in there.

Also, Asmongold, I don't know much about him, other than the very few clips I've seen made me not like him. He just happened to be in there because this is the video that showed up on my feed.

--edit: OTOH, do tell about Asmongold. The thread is lacking drama content currently.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
i was looking up airflow videos after the optimum tech rig, and this thing showed up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VboG_e_QsM

it's easy to see how these videos end up getting made, but that's the content churn for you

thank god psu shrouds aren't as popular as they used to be

whiskas
May 30, 2005
I don't know anything about this asmongold guy, but from the few videos I watched his shtick seems to be doing reaction videos but with one novelty. There's something about the guys eyes/face that makes him look completely bewildered/concerned at everything. Watching even the most mundane stuff he is able to come off as if he is watching the moon landing for the first time. And it's not like he's trying either, it's just something with his facial expressions and mannerisms. Watching him tickles the same part of my brain that watching a child see an escaltor for the first time does.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

I first saw him when the Elden Ring Network test was happening. I watched a few minutes of him and now I literally can't escape him.

I think my issue is I do 99% of my YouTube watching om my big rear end TV via my PS5. The PS5 YouTube client kinda sucks. But it's better than my TVs awful built in apps. I think the "not interested" thing on PS5 just doesn't do anything.

I actually pay for YouTube premium too. I'm such a loser.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

whiskas posted:

I don't know anything about this asmongold guy, but from the few videos I watched his shtick seems to be doing reaction videos but with one novelty. There's something about the guys eyes/face that makes him look completely bewildered/concerned at everything. Watching even the most mundane stuff he is able to come off as if he is watching the moon landing for the first time. And it's not like he's trying either, it's just something with his facial expressions and mannerisms. Watching him tickles the same part of my brain that watching a child see an escaltor for the first time does.

Resting thumbnail face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I still pay for youtube as a holdover from the GPM/Red days primarily for YT music and it's fine. I watch enough yt content that no ads is worth it and yt music became my primary music source when GPM was killed. I don't feel bad about it