Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Theres an alternate route in YP???

they added in a few years after release

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

mutantIke posted:

On the topic of RE4-likes with frequent checkpointing: Just beat Alan Wake! Hilarious how shoehorned in those vehicle segments were.

I complained a bunch about how unfun and useless the vehicle segments were the first time I played the game, and I found out the fun fact that they were leftover remnants from an earlier open-world version of the game. So if you don't like them now, imagine if they were all over the place as you traveled anywhere :v:

Also, I love Control and definitely recommend giving it a chance. Strongly second using the accessibility controls, tuning down the damage you take enormously improves the feel of the gameplay (not to mention turning on one-hit kills if a boss gets annoying). If you don't like it, no big deal, but it scratches a fun superpowered gameplay itch for me that doesn't feel like too many other games I've played.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

The_Doctor posted:

I enjoyed Control a lot, but I haven’t played any of the Alan Wake games, so that DLC is very weird. The whole Wake stuff just Kramers into the game and if you’ve never played them, boy howdy, is it going to suck for you! Meaningless monologuing from Wake (I assume? They never actually make it clear) over his typewriter as Jesse has to deal with things that maybe are meant to be familiar? I got the impression I’m supposed to recognise lots of these things, but obviously I don’t, and it’s a bad feeling that I’m not getting 100% of the story here.

I also went into it being only passingly familiar with Alan Wake and having once long ago watched an LP of the Alan Wake game and yeah, very much the same impression from me.

The best part of Control for me was Jesse's reactions, thoughts and monologue to things and she just... doesn't do that in the AW DLC. It's just Alan doing that and it kinda sucks. The astronaut side quest was fun though.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Tired Moritz posted:

they added in a few years after release

drat...do you need a guide for it

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think Control is worth it for its own sake as a horror-adjacent experience (it's not a horror game by any stretch but it's got horror vibes), but yeah if you're looking at it solely for how it connects to Alan Wake you're likely going to be underwhelmed, the AWE DLC is more of a fun little bonus for fans rather than like, mandatory reading.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Evil Kit posted:

I also went into it being only passingly familiar with Alan Wake and having once long ago watched an LP of the Alan Wake game and yeah, very much the same impression from me.

The best part of Control for me was Jesse's reactions, thoughts and monologue to things and she just... doesn't do that in the AW DLC. It's just Alan doing that and it kinda sucks. The astronaut side quest was fun though.

tubes :)

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
I guess I'll dive back into Control, then. I'm gonna be mad if they don't play the Poe song of the same name at some point. The connection is so obvious! I guess I'll check out American Nightmare if I beat Control before AW2 comes out. Hoping one of these games dives deeper into the House Of Leaves-y metafiction AW1 touched on, that was my favorite element by far.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

mutantIke posted:

I guess I'll dive back into Control, then. I'm gonna be mad if they don't play the Poe song of the same name at some point. The connection is so obvious! I guess I'll check out American Nightmare if I beat Control before AW2 comes out. Hoping one of these games dives deeper into the House Of Leaves-y metafiction AW1 touched on, that was my favorite element by far.

Ironically Control almost scratches that itch with me with The Oldest House (which I think was on purpose).

Also you must have had the exact same reaction I did to that part in Alan Wake when Haunted started playing. Out of left field but hot drat was I stoked

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I love Control but I don’t find much about the setting to be inherently scary or unsettling. It’s like one part spooky three parts comedy.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

exquisite tea posted:

I love Control but I don’t find much about the setting to be inherently scary or unsettling. It’s like one part spooky three parts comedy.

For sure. I feel so weird about Control, I love it but I can describe my experience with so much of it as 'almost scratching an itch' with the spooky part

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I think my one note on Control was that you can never actually clear the Oldest House of the Hiss, which sure, endless game, but it’s annoying.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

The_Doctor posted:

I think my one note on Control was that you can never actually clear the Oldest House of the Hiss, which sure, endless game, but it’s annoying.

By far the best part of Control was the Ashtray Maze near the finale.

Worst part about Control is no NG+ followed by only having a single save slot.

Medullah fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Aug 26, 2023

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I never completed the assault course

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

exquisite tea posted:

Yeah it's why I said earlier that it's not a horror game; the primary inspiration is clearly SCP, but the tone is a lot more X-Files. It's not really intended to be "scary" or even "disturbing". The spookiness of the setting is still really fun though, lots of stuff that would come off more hosed up if they wanted the tone to be darker and just weird stuff happening in general.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I can see the setting of Control being an extremely spooky setting for a horror game if Jesse were not a telekinetic demigod

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

IMO Control is a kind of existential horror to me, but not actually scary for sure. It still has some great settings and haunting moments though.

Medullah posted:

-snip-

Worst part about Control is no NG+ followed by only having a single save slot.

you should absolutely spoiler this since the discussion on Control started with a person mentioning they dropped it early on lol. That's an experience that should really happen naturally.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

CharlestonJew posted:

I can see the setting of Control being an extremely spooky setting for a horror game if Jesse were not a telekinetic demigod

Yeah that is kind of the thing, it's a pretty good setting that could be great if it weren't for the majority of the game being mediocre combat.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

One of my favorite little things in Control is an occasional enemy type that looks like it's explicitly designed to evoke a glitching-out 3D game model. It makes for a bit of a weirdly eerie feeling as it's meandering around in the "real world" of the game.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Evil Kit posted:

IMO Control is a kind of existential horror to me, but not actually scary for sure. It still has some great settings and haunting moments though.

you should absolutely spoiler this since the discussion on Control started with a person mentioning they dropped it early on lol. That's an experience that should really happen naturally.

Fair enough

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I actually really liked the gameplay of Control. Only having 2 weapons at once and the dumb currency system really hampered the experience, and some of the enemy types did a little too much damage. But throwing poo poo around and shotgun blasting Hiss guys never got old for me.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Medullah posted:

Remedy always do some amazing set pieces to music. I was so loving amped for that entire sequence.

I really hope Alan Wake 2 carries on in the tradition, and it probably will!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I consider control to be horror themed with horror moments but I wouldn't call it a horror game. Like the metro series or something, the horror is there but I don't think the game can be safely categorized as horror

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
Remedy's games are horror in the way that M Night Shyamalan movies are horror, where they're not concerned with scaring you so much as using horror concepts to tell their stories. Like Alan Wake is a lot more "horror" in its theming and gameplay but it's never more than tense (with plenty of comic relief)

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Control is related to horror the same way Doom is.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Are there any horror games that feel like artsy-yet-schlocky Italian horror cinema? Like if I wanted to play something with a Suspiria vibe.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Control has more of an eerie tinge than a horror vibe. It’s like playing a wiki of strange and unexplained phenomena.

That mixed with the Metroid elements and serviceable combat hooked me.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

The Hiss scare the poo poo out of me

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

feedmyleg posted:

Are there any horror games that feel like artsy-yet-schlocky Italian horror cinema? Like if I wanted to play something with a Suspiria vibe.

Nothing I'd call a perfect fit, but this is kind of how I think about Tormented Souls

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
The Clock Tower games are supposed to be pretty directly inspired by giallo

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Tangentially related, there's a video game adaptation of Albert Hitchcock's "Vertigo"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkqqANIXFdQ

idontpost69
Jun 26, 2023

feedmyleg posted:

Indie posterboy Puppet Combo definitely dabbles in that a bit aside from his more typical vhs grindhouse shtick, The Glass Staircase and Nun Massacre come to mind though be warned actually playing them is kinda rough.

idontpost69 fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Aug 27, 2023

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I heard that game where you make faces is very gallio-like

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Tired Moritz posted:

I heard that game where you make faces is very gallio-like

Who's Lila?, right? I've heard good things about that, it just seems like it'd be way too fiddly to actually play

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Clock Tower is Giallo mixed with Evil Dead Trap.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"

Instant Grat posted:

Who's Lila?, right? I've heard good things about that, it just seems like it'd be way too fiddly to actually play

It's actually not; there's also a bit of an easy setting for the face mini-game. The game also breaks the 4th wall in...look, you've never played a game like it, at least give the Steam demo a spin.

Agent Escalus fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Aug 27, 2023

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

CharlestonJew posted:

I actually really liked the gameplay of Control. Only having 2 weapons at once and the dumb currency system really hampered the experience, and some of the enemy types did a little too much damage. But throwing poo poo around and shotgun blasting Hiss guys never got old for me.

Yeah, the powers were interesting, but imo the frequency of combat (along with enemies always respawning) meant that you eventually give way to efficiency to get through it and the telekinesis throw was one of the stronger abilities so every fight is doing the power 50 times, which numbs the novelty.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
Pretty far into Control (I assume, no clue how much longer the campaign is gonna run but I'm at the Panopticon which seems like around the halfway mark) and my biggest complaint is honestly the checkpoint system. Tying respawns with Control Points makes sense in theory, but in practice it can be frustrating more than anything. Example is the Fridge boss- I died to it a few times (thanks, instant death bottomless pits), and having to jog back to the room and go through the 30-second dude explosion scene every time made it a hell of a lot more annoying. I am enjoying the story a lot more this time around, although Jesse's internal monologue does get kinda grating. Really funny how they have a character offhandedly mention "the new Alex Casey movie" and then sitting 5 feet away from him is a collectible text file that basically reads as "HEY REMEMBER ALAN WAKE?"

1stGear posted:

I also wouldn't stress too much about playing Control for story stuff related to AW2. There will probably be some connections and easter eggs references, but I doubt Jesse is going to come crashing through a wall and talk to Alan about the Control Initiative.

Considering the aforementioned text file calls Wake "a prime director candidate" and the other playable character is an FBI agent, I wouldn't be surprised if something exactly like that happens.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Any suggestions for horror games of the past 5 or so years that have an emphasis on exploration, mood, and atmosphere and have little to no gunplay or other FPS action? I just wanna soak in a spooky mood, but don't want constant "enemies" interrupting the affair. Or at least not ones I have to fight instead of just running away from.

Alien Isolation is the only one in recent memory that really gave me what I'm looking for. It has gunplay, but it felt few amd far between. Even Alan Wake feels like it's got a ton of shooting in comparison.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Devotion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Off the top of my head, Layers of Fear fits that bill. It’s pretty much strictly that, although many people find it mediocre. Anything from Supermassive as well, although those are more along the lines of a choose your own adventure Telltale type game, but I like em.