Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Just to confirm before I click: the Canon EOS R10 with the RF24-50 F4.5-6.3IS STM is still a good choice for indoor/ sports?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
What sports? 50mm even on apc-s isn't much reach.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Basketball, played in a school gym, and hockey played in a small stadium.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Professor Shark posted:

Basketball, played in a school gym, and hockey played in a small stadium.

How close are you going to be sitting to the rim? And f4.5 isn't going to give you anything for free when it comes to indoor sports.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
50mm on crop is 80mm FF equivalent, if this focal length is enough then a 50mm f/1.8 (like an EF STM) would be good.

But I would wager 80mm is probably a little short, but this will depend on how close you can get to the action.

Indoor sports is hard because the light level is so low for photography at higher shutter speeds needed to capture action especially in school gyms and you generally cannot use a flash as will annoy the athletes, so you probably want a f/2.8 lens at the minimum.

a 70-200 f/2.8 for instance is a classic sports lens.

But the people I know who shoot indoor sports say that even f/2.8 can be too slow and some use exotic lenses like the Sigma 105 f/1.4 or even the mythical Canon 200mm f/1.8 but these are likely outside your budget.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

It’s going to be students taking the shots, so they should be able to move around and get pretty close if needed

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Professor Shark posted:

It’s going to be students taking the shots, so they should be able to move around and get pretty close if needed

Would suggest the camera is probably fine, but before you get gear if you can beg/borrow a camera and zoom lens and test the focal lengths out.

Then if 50mm on crop (80FF) is right pick up a 50mm f/1.8 (RF or EF STM with adapter)

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

echinopsis posted:

all these mf with wide rear end lenses

This guy said it best last page!

Just seconding that the camera should be fine but the lens won’t be. My class uses 70-200mm F/4 lenses for general purpose sports stuff and they’re good enough. Canon’s EF USM lens can be had for between 350-600 dollars, and it can be used with an R10 with a 100ish dollar adapter. The F/2.8 versions cost a whole lot more than your camera, as do any of the newer RF lenses. But that’s really the big issue, any lens that’s good for sports is going to be expensive.

litany of gulps fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jul 31, 2023

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
National Camera in Minneapolis has a used sale this week. They must be moving product fast because the number of available F-Mount lenses that I was looking at dropped by 20% overnight. Still, some good buys. A D850 in fair condition for under $1300 is a steal, I think?

It’s a reputable shop, in my experience.

https://www.natcam.com/product-category/used/

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005
I have an XT3 and would like to be able to recharge it's NP-W126 & NP-W126S Batteries seperately from the camera uaing a USB dual charger and a fast charge powerbank while out and about. I would also prefer it if the batteries lay flat in the charger like in the mains charger that came with the camera.

If the powerbank had power deilvery that might come in handy later but for now I don't want to tether the camera.

Any suggestions?

BTW I am in the UK and would ideally like to move on this tomorrow as my prime free trial is about to expire.

Thanks.

JamesieAB fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Aug 2, 2023

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

JamesieAB posted:

I have an XT3 and would like to be able to recharge it's NP-W126 & NP-W126S Batteries seperately from the camera uaing a USB dual charger and a fast charge powerbank while out and about. I would also prefer it if the batteries lay flat in the charger like in the mains charger that came with the camera.

If the powerbank had power deilvery that might come in handy later but for now I don't want to tether the camera.

Any suggestions?

BTW I am in the UK and would ideally like to move on this tomorrow as my prime free trial is about to expire.

Thanks.

No personal experience.

https://www.amazon.com/NITECORE-FX1...91014352&sr=8-3

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

JamesieAB posted:

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

https://www.amazon.com/Wasabi-Power-NP-W126-NP-W126S-Fujifilm/dp/B08R12HYSW/ref=sr_1_1_sspa

I've been using this charger for a few months and its reliable. Seems like wasabi batteries are just as good as fuji.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Ziggy Smalls posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Wasabi-Power-NP-W126-NP-W126S-Fujifilm/dp/B08R12HYSW/ref=sr_1_1_sspa

I've been using this charger for a few months and its reliable. Seems like wasabi batteries are just as good as fuji.

This is the one I got for the x-t30 ii I just got, seems good so far. I've had it for less than a week though. Also don't know if it's available in the uk.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Ziggy Smalls posted:

Wasabi batteries have come up a few times in this thread (or maybe the mirrorless thread), so I'm repeating myself, but: I had two of them swell up on me around the same time, and one just about got permanently stuck in my camera. Other posters have reported the same thing, and you can find similar posts on other photography forums too. I'd steer clear. I haven't had any issue with the Promasters I bought to replace them, even though I've had them for longer now.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Yeah go with Neewer, avoid Wasabi.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Aug 3, 2023

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005
Usefull info, thanks all.

Has anyone heard of Homesuit?

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

If you have something like an 800mm large format lens and hook it up to a bellows adapter of some sort, and put it in front of a mirrorless camera, do you get really cool and good pictures of birds and airplanes? Why pay $10,000 or whatever for an 800mm EF lens when you can get an old fujinon for less than $1,000? Is the sharpness poor? Chromatic aberration going to be much more apparent?

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
There’s an 800mm RF lens that’s 1000 bucks. F/11, so you’ll need full sun, but if you want bird and airplane pics that’s probably a better bet than anything else.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There will be image quality differences between an adapted old lens and an expensive modern one but the more important factor for birds and airplanes is stabilization and auto focus. You ain't gonna have good luck tracking a sparrow and trying to keep it in focus by sliding the bellows along a rail.

If you did pull it off it would probably look awesome though.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

litany of gulps posted:

There’s an 800mm RF lens that’s 1000 bucks. F/11, so you’ll need full sun, but if you want bird and airplane pics that’s probably a better bet than anything else.

It’s surprisingly good and with a modern camera body you can accomplish a lot even with f/11. Was sitting in a hide next to a guy using one and he kept shooting into the evening and getting decent results at ISO 12800.

A LF 800mm would _not_ perform very well though.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

JamesieAB posted:

Usefull info, thanks all.

Has anyone heard of Homesuit?

Most of these are all the same generic Chinese made Li-ion packs with different labels on them.

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005

RillAkBea posted:

Most of these are all the same generic Chinese made Li-ion packs with different labels on them.

Yes, I just thought someone might know if this was a decent Chinese brand (if they exist).

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The issue with chinese brands is they use whatever components they can get a hold of for cheap. Someone would have to open the battery up and see who made the cells, and then a few months down the road do it again after their supplier changes.

Neewer seems to be the current darling of this market and I've never had issues with any of their stuff, but it's just a matter of time before some bad units get out.

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005
I need to replace my ancient 8 litre backpack and would like to get something with a similar capacity also without dividers. I have a small crumpler bag that I put in to protect my XT3.

Are there any with pouches on the front straps for a few small lenses, batteries etc? If not are there add ons preferably with multiple pockets/pouches available?

I'm sure I could rig my own system with individual lens pouches but would prefer something pre built.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
800mm f/11 sounds so niche, but I no applaud canon for trying something like that. I wish Nikon and Fuji would be a bit more imaginative. Fuji doesn’t even make a 200 or 300mm f4.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Fuji got burnt by the 200 f/2. They went too niche for their first expensive telephoto and it flopped.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Brrrmph posted:

800mm f/11 sounds so niche, but I no applaud canon for trying something like that. I wish Nikon and Fuji would be a bit more imaginative. Fuji doesn’t even make a 200 or 300mm f4.

Looks like Canon has always made weirdo long telephoto primes* but RF is the first time they've actually bothered making anything in that range in consumer grade. I guess the different aperture dynamics on contrast AF makes cost cutting/packaging easier though?

*If you had a spare 10 million yen in 1993 for example...
https://global.canon/en/c-museum/product/ef319.html

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Previous cheaper DSLRs could not AF at f/8 or smaller (and f/11 is way out for even higher end DLSR (mabe 1Dx's??))

So making a telephoto that had such a small max aperture was not that useful as it would have no AF.

Mirrorless doesn't have the same limitations.

rowkey bilbao
Jul 24, 2023
What's wrong with a Canon eos 40d that's been sitting in a closet and won't turn on after I put in a new and charged main battery?

There are 0 signs of life. Next I want to try and change the date battery but I'd rather save the cost if it's pointless.

fralbjabar
Jan 26, 2007
I am a meat popscicle.
That honestly sounds pretty dead to me, from what I remember those older canons would power on just fine even with a dead clock battery. I've got a couple thousand photos all tagged as taken on Jan 1 2000 from a 20D I used to have with a dead clock battery I never replaced.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

rowkey bilbao posted:

What's wrong with a Canon eos 40d that's been sitting in a closet and won't turn on after I put in a new and charged main battery?

There are 0 signs of life. Next I want to try and change the date battery but I'd rather save the cost if it's pointless.

Clean all the electrical contacts (battery connection in body and lens / lens mount) carefully. See if that makes a difference. Sometimes they can look fine but still not provide a solid connection.

rowkey bilbao
Jul 24, 2023

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Clean all the electrical contacts (battery connection in body and lens / lens mount) carefully. See if that makes a difference. Sometimes they can look fine but still not provide a solid connection.

Removing and attaching the lens again did it, thanks !

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
This isn't a gear issue, but I'm wondering if any of you folks have experience with or advice on companies using your images without permission.

I just opened up IG and found a picture I took of a local MC being used by a music festival. It's got their logo splash on it, but it is 100% my photo. I sent it to the MC months ago when I took it, but just checked our conversation and nothing was mentioned about using it for promo at all.

EDIT: Well that was fast. I said "You can either take it down or I can send you an invoice" and it's already gone. My pro photog buddy would have simply sent the bill, in his words "you can't put toothpaste back in the tube," but I'm still small potatoes and I don't want to burn too many bridges yet so I gave them the mulligan.

I suppose I should look into watermarking my images.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Aug 8, 2023

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Personally, I was persuaded by the argument that you shouldn't mess up the image with a watermark and just make sure you have backups of the RAW if it comes up. Either you have the watermark in some obnoxious place that detracts or they'd just crop it out if they wanted to. Not that anyone is stealing my photos, hah.

I'll cross-post a Q from the general thread. Looking for thoughts on the Sony 1.4x and 2x teleconverters - specifically with the newer 70-200mm GM II. Tough to find good reviews for very specific product combinations. I'm using an a7iv so I can't get away with cropping like mad to fake more reach.

Incredulous Dylan fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Aug 16, 2023

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
Does anybody have a favorite backpack insert I can put in my hiking backpack for day trips? I’ve got an Osprey Talon 22 that I’d love to fit something that can support a Sigma 70-200 and Canon 24-105. I have the Peak Designs backpack attachment thing so my camera generally lives on my shoulder strap, but come fall/winter I’ll need to keep my camera inside the bag too. I’m looking at dedicated camera backpacks for day trips too but drat are they pricy.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

yoohoo posted:

Does anybody have a favorite backpack insert I can put in my hiking backpack for day trips? I’ve got an Osprey Talon 22 that I’d love to fit something that can support a Sigma 70-200 and Canon 24-105. I have the Peak Designs backpack attachment thing so my camera generally lives on my shoulder strap, but come fall/winter I’ll need to keep my camera inside the bag too. I’m looking at dedicated camera backpacks for day trips too but drat are they pricy.

I don’t know if I’d count it as my favorite, but I got one of these:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1461732-REG/ruggard_pib_1mg_camera_insert_gray.html

And it sits comfy in my osprey apogee. Which isn’t the same as yours but they’re about the same volume. Maybe get a tape measure and figure out the internal dimensions of your bag and hunt around on BH, they have a zillion ICU options.

But the linked on holds a R5 + 24-105 + 100-500 with enough gap in the middle for batteries and stuff. It doesn’t fully cover the gear, it all sticks out the top a bit but I usually have my extra layers on top of it all so everything is nice and padded.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

I have a couple of domke lens wraps. I usually only carry a 70-200 and 21mm while hiking. The camera/lens gets a wrap, the extra lens gets a wrap. They lay on top of everything, and the top flap always has a rain jacket often a shirt in it. Seems to do the job, has for years

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I'm trying to write a lens review. For the review, I need some pictures of the glass. I used a white tablecloth or a black cardboard on the table. Illuminated the lens using a flash at the standard 45/45-degree angle. Additionally, I used extra light from one side with a pocket flash :D Lightroom's "select subject" will hide the major flaws under the rug. Nothing can be done about the dust. No matter how much Iscrub, brush, and polish, there's always plenty of it in the photo. Pocket flash has different wb from the main flash it seems.

I used a Nikkor 85mm PC. Sadly it has tilt and shift in 90 degree angle to each other. Would love to be able to tilt AND shift to same direction. With a Canon 90mm 2.8L you can just rotate the tilt axis around.. not so in Nikon.

Anyways. Are these good enough or should I do something else, what? Any pro tips/tutorials/guides?

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

You can modify the 85mm so the shift and tilt is in the same direction. Some instructions buried in this thread:

https://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=23000

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I'm looking for two things:

1. An LED light capable of providing many different colors, so I can do stuff like put a blue glow into the scene for fun creative effect. Needs to be placed off-camera, but being able to attach it could be a bonus

2. A flash I can use for Macro photography that I can attach to the camera but can also take off and place nearby so that the light comes in at an angle. There are some good Godox products but so many to choose from!