Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Captain Foo posted:

Has Sting ever really been a heel?

Define "really." He turned heel on Hogan and teamed up with Luger in 1999 or 2000. Only everybody was happy about it so does it count?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2R0v1I_-ys

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Aug 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Also in TNA as part of the Main Event Mafia, explicitly formed to keep the younger talent down and them on top

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Captain Foo posted:

Plenty of times in Impact and later WCW

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

He beat up a child once

https://youtu.be/sUw6OYceV2w?feature=shared

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It's what the kid wanted. :colbert:

And as for a serious answer, I believe he was a heel when he was running with Eddie Gilbert but that was very early in his career.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
CWA: The Blade Runners turned heel because fans did not enjoy them as Road Warriors ripoffs, and were managed by Buddy Wayne (no, not that one)
UWF (no, not that one): The Blade Runners were heels in Eddie Gilbert's stable but the team and stable split and Sting became a singles babyface
WCW: Sting was consistently a babyface except for like two months when Vince Russo started in late 1999. Because his heel turn/angle came against Hulk Hogan, he did not get heel crowd response much even during his heel turn
TNA: He was the leader of the Main Event Mafia for about two years
WWE: He was the avatar of the evil and bungling WCW who aligned with the NWO and tried to destroy the WWE, but was vanquished by the protector of the realm Triple H.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

When Sting was in the UWF managed by/teaming with Eddie Gilbert he was a heel.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

This is more of a subjective question, but... was Sting ever any *good* as a heel? I remember Russo's attempt to turn him heel in WCW, and how that didn't work at all, but it was tough to gauge Sting's ability to draw heat given how much of a wreck Russo's WCW storylines were. I had given up on TNA by the time he turned - was he actually effective as a heel during that time?

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

The Main Event Mafia is extremely difficult to rate because TNA was always a really uneven product, even before Hogan and Bischoff completely ruined it for a good few years. I will say that Sting in the MEM gave a lot to newer talent, was interesting and entertaining, and his willingness to do unique twists on his character such as the MEM or Joker Sting are a lot more fondly-remembered than they were received at the time. I'd say he did a pretty good job for his role in the group, but I don't know if anyone ever truly wanted to boo the guy.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
What I heard about the Main Event Mafia is that Sting didn't actually want to do heel stuff, so you'd have Angle, Steiner, Booker and Nash do a beat down on the faces, and then Sting would come out at the end, stare at their defeated bodies, then walk off. I don't know if this is true but he was often weirdly absent when they did typical heel stuff.

Edit: also, can someone correct me if I'm wrong - I thought Sting's heel run in 1999 actually started before Russo got to WCW, so I'm not sure if you can fault him for that one unfortunately. One of the first things Russo did was strip Sting of the belt so they could do that horrendous world title tournament. Meanwhile, Sting just kind of hovered around, sometimes acting like a face and sometimes acting like a heel, I'm guessing because true faces and heels don't exist anymore bro.

Hedgehog Pie fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Aug 27, 2023

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Captain Foo posted:

He was in tna

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Hedgehog Pie posted:

What I heard about the Main Event Mafia is that Sting didn't actually want to do heel stuff, so you'd have Angle, Steiner, Booker and Nash do a beat down on the faces, and then Sting would come out at the end, stare at their defeated bodies, then walk off. I don't know if this is true but he was often weirdly absent when they did typical heel stuff.

Which also lead to the super-brilliant storyline where Team 3D got attacked by the MEM minus Sting, and when they returned, they were pissed at STING, because he DIDN'T beat them up.

Also of course the usual BS factor of the main group being like the coolest folks on the whole roster while all the babyfaces were a bunch of whiny, loser dorks who couldn't get poo poo done unless they outnumbered the heels at least 3-1.

And then of course the MEM brought in Samoa Joe as their hired gun, even though for like the 2 previous years he was portrayed as one of the whiniest, scared-rear end bitches in all of wrestling history, a completely pathetic loving loser, and he was supposed to be the top babyface or something. Which makes it even more obvious why fans chanted for the cool heels.

Also this is the best heel stuff Sting ever did:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzmBUUSDDKM&t=174s

Bischoff SOLD FOR THE BIRD

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011
With Bray's passing, I wonder:
How was talent passing away handled in more kayfabey times? Are there examples of e.g. a heel talent passing away and that being addressed on air when wrestling shows wouldn't acknowledge wrestlers as actors playing characters?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

There was Ox Baker, who had two different opponents die of heart problems after matches with him. They spun it into "Ox Baker is literally killing people with the Heart Punch"

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Edit: also, can someone correct me if I'm wrong - I thought Sting's heel run in 1999 actually started before Russo got to WCW, so I'm not sure if you can fault him for that one unfortunately. One of the first things Russo did was strip Sting of the belt so they could do that horrendous world title tournament. Meanwhile, Sting just kind of hovered around, sometimes acting like a face and sometimes acting like a heel, I'm guessing because true faces and heels don't exist anymore bro.
Yeah, I was wrong there. Though it's one of those "everything happens in a very short period of time" moments in wrestling:

August 26, 1999: The first (weekly) episode of Smackdown, the launch of which sparked conflict between Russo/Ferrara and WWF (either because of burnout, double the work without commensurate pay bumps, or both) According to pretty much every telling of the story, Smackdown is why Russo/Ferrara decided to leave WWF.

September 9, 1999: Eric Bischoff is officially "re-assigned" away from creative in WCW. Officially the head booker after Bischoff wasn't was Craig Leathers and a booking committee of Nash/Dusty/Sullivan, though this was short-lived.

September 12, 1999: Sting turns heel at Fall Brawl 1999

October 2, 1999: Vince Russo officially signs with WCW

October 18, 1999: The first Nitro officially booked by Russo

So on the record (and probably in reality), someone other than Vince Russo booked the last minute Sting heel turn at Fall Brawl. Circumstantially, the brief interregnum between "WCW officially fires Eric Bischoff and put what seems clearly a makeshift temporary booker in charge" and "formally announcing their big new hire as head of creative" makes it seem at least plausible that Russo was pitching ideas to WCW executives in the period before he was officially signed. Kevin Sullivan at least implies that he was not made aware of the Sting heel turn at Fall Brawl until after it happened live, despite being part of the booking committee.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Aug 27, 2023

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Suleman posted:

How was talent passing away handled in more kayfabey times? Are there examples of e.g. a heel talent passing away and that being addressed on air when wrestling shows wouldn't acknowledge wrestlers as actors playing characters?

theres one indie promotion that kills off their characters in kayfabe when they leave the company but I forget what it is

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Kvlt! posted:

theres one indie promotion that kills off their characters in kayfabe when they leave the company but I forget what it is

Impact Wrestling

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kvlt! posted:

Lucha Underground had The Crew feed one of their members to Matanza Cueto.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Kvlt! posted:

Chikara did that a lot. When they did their big return angle, the roster was completely overstuffed, so they had the big bad Deucalion (basically Bane) constantly show up to deliver choke-breakers which was treated as fatal.

John Silver once asked for a raise, so Quack had him booked to take a choke-breaker from Deucalion.

Dawgstar posted:

Lucha Underground had The Crew feed one of their members to Matanza Cueto.

The fourth season killed people off on a near weekly basis because everyone wanted out of their contract.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

There was the time Sting told a kid he couldn't do anything about his terminal cancer, so he just made him a Little Stinger.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Suleman posted:

WCCW handled Gino Hernandez's death this way, announcing it on air and not trying to spin it into an angle.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Endless Mike posted:

There was the time Sting told a kid he couldn't do anything about his terminal cancer, so he just made him a Little Stinger.

Stung

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

CombineThresher posted:

WCCW handled Gino Hernandez's death this way, announcing it on air and not trying to spin it into an angle.

Kind of impressive Fritz handled Gino's death more dignity than his own kids

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Endless Mike posted:

Then he threw the kid's birthday cake to the ground.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
How attached to his hair is Sting? I want surfer Sting 1 more time before he retires :(

and we better get Man called Sting theme at some point

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

CombineThresher posted:

Thanks!

Hirez posted:

How attached to his hair is Sting? I want surfer Sting 1 more time before he retires :(

and we better get Man called Sting theme at some point

Not sure if he can pull it off, he at least used to have a pretty noticeable bald spot when he wrestled against HHH in WWE. I haven't noticed it in AEW, so either he did some work or their hair stylist is better at hiding it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Suleman posted:

Not sure if he can pull it off, he at least used to have a pretty noticeable bald spot when he wrestled against HHH in WWE. I haven't noticed it in AEW, so either he did some work or their hair stylist is better at hiding it.

Yeah, it's slicked back for a reason.

the_Vandal
Feb 7, 2004

You make me wanna cry
You make me wanna die
I love you, I love you, I love you,
I love you, I love you
Night Man
He could always do surfer sting like he was doing before he started the crow gimmick. He still looked really cool like that. And he can still wear the coolest jackets to the ring. I want this as well.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/TheAxAndSmash/status/1193665662117384192?s=20

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Real Estate Steve is the money gimmick

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

my favorite sting is the cincinnati stengal

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Whats the other name of the suplex/driver that AEW/NJPW calls Made in Japan? Its not a Michinoku driver is it?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

LionYeti posted:

Whats the other name of the suplex/driver that AEW/NJPW calls Made in Japan? Its not a Michinoku driver is it?

It's a pumphandle half nelson driver and the Michinoku Driver (II) is a scoop piledriver

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

forkboy84 posted:

It's a pumphandle half nelson driver and the Michinoku Driver (II) is a scoop piledriver

Thanks it was Shingo Takagi who invented it right?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Am I crazy or is it the same as YOSHI-HASHI's Karma and Penta's Penta-driver? (The Fear Factor is the package piledriver, right?)

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo

Gaz-L posted:

Am I crazy or is it the same as YOSHI-HASHI's Karma and Penta's Penta-driver? (The Fear Factor is the package piledriver, right?)

the best call imo is Made in Penta because I've never heard a worse name for a cooler wrestler doing a cooler move

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo
it is the made in penta tho

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Maiden Penta.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'