Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
It's almost certainly true that WWE's higher-ups don't really care about Funk and Bray, but I do also think that the Benoit fiasco has probably scared them away from doing another full-scale tribute show ever again as well. It was a PR disaster, and it seemed to confirm all of the terrible things about WWE all at once. The context is obviously very different this time, but I can imagine they're very, very uneasy about directly attaching themselves to the death of a young active performer again. It's not brand-friendly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Terry Funk was under the WWE umbrella for maybe a cup of coffee or two across his entire career, so I don’t understand why anyone would expect the company where literally nothing you do outside of their bubble counts for poo poo to put on any real significant tribute, because even as iconic and important to the business as he was virtually none of it happened in the WWE.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Hedgehog Pie posted:

It's almost certainly true that WWE's higher-ups don't really care about Funk and Bray, but I do also think that the Benoit fiasco has probably scared them away from doing another full-scale tribute show ever again as well. It was a PR disaster, and it seemed to confirm all of the terrible things about WWE all at once. The context is obviously very different this time, but I can imagine they're very, very uneasy about directly attaching themselves to the death of a young active performer again. It's not brand-friendly.

Especially if he died from a COVID related complication after probably getting COVID in their locker room.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Ugh, I wish people would knock this poo poo off. Gross.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I just got back from Takers 1Deadman Show and it was pretty good. His lovely politics came out a few times, but for the most part it was really entertaining

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

im curious to know if the people defending wwe here had watched any of their product prior to 2010.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
I cant remember the last time wwe ever did a real memorial for a wrestler outside the older eddie/benoit stuff almost 20 years ago. When Warrior and Savage died they did an open graphic and a tribute video, maybe even threw to a clip, but WWE barely does a real tribute to deceased wrestlers anymore. I know everyone, myself included, was hoping for maybe a Brodie level memorial show but this absolutely just shows WWE is about the corporate branding and continuing as if nothing changed. Some like Flair, Taker, etc could drop dead and they'd do the same bare minimum poo poo because they dont "have time" to memorialize people in the cogs of their gears and it loving sucks.

If I was one of Bray's friends and I worked in WWE and I saw how little they seemed to care on TV/in the product compared to AEW dedicating a whole show to the life of Brodie I'd know how they really feel about us.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

KungFu Grip posted:

If I was one of Bray's friends and I worked in WWE and I saw how little they seemed to care on TV/in the product compared to AEW dedicating a whole show to the life of Brodie I'd know how they really feel about us.

I mean, y'look at Seth's video and I don't think that's particularly far off.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

KungFu Grip posted:

I cant remember the last time wwe ever did a real memorial for a wrestler outside the older eddie/benoit stuff almost 20 years ago. When Warrior and Savage died they did an open graphic and a tribute video, maybe even threw to a clip, but WWE barely does a real tribute to deceased wrestlers anymore. I know everyone, myself included, was hoping for maybe a Brodie level memorial show but this absolutely just shows WWE is about the corporate branding and continuing as if nothing changed. Some like Flair, Taker, etc could drop dead and they'd do the same bare minimum poo poo because they dont "have time" to memorialize people in the cogs of their gears and it loving sucks.

I think having an old guy like Warrior or Savage or Funk dying is a way different scenario than having an active former top champ on your roster that is in their 30s die. And I don’t think that has happened since Eddie and Benoit so it makes sense there hasn’t been one in a while, it’s pretty rare and IMO definitely warrants special treatment

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
I don't think they'll do a tribute show unless that person was on the active roster. Since Terry was in a nursing home and Bray was medically inactive, no show for them. Plus, the last one was Benoit & we know what happened there.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

The warrior death was so surreal lol. 50 of us saying “wow this guy is gonna die” and then he did like 5 hours later. At least his insane wife got to co-opt an award for fake philanthropy (the way brands r going 2 win)

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

STONE COLD 64 posted:

im curious to know if the people defending wwe here had watched any of their product prior to 2010.

I've always throught it's mostly people that are just fans of wwe's particular brand of production in general and will watch and enjoy just about anything wwe puts out there and genuinely think it's pretty good without irony because it's pretty much all they watch

like darkstar and their habit of only posting about wwe women's wrestling - I'm not hating, just pointing out that it's all they post about 99 percent of the time so I wouldn't guess that they ever watch anything else but they're obviously still watching wwe regularly

Orange Carlisle fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Aug 27, 2023

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Island Nation posted:

I don't think they'll do a tribute show unless that person was on the active roster. Since Terry was in a nursing home and Bray was medically inactive, no show for them. Plus, the last one was Benoit & we know what happened there.

That's such an insane cop-out for Bray lmao

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

over the last couple years (should have been earlier but when you're old habits change slower) I've also tried to lay off on making GBS threads on things people watch and enjoy for whatever small amounts of joy it brings them because I don't know if most people have looked outside recently but poo poo sucks out there and has drastically gotten worse over the last few years. I'm sure I've had a few slip up posts here and there but I have actively been trying to work on it

so if foochs wants to come in here and post about mox not winning a title fast enough or darkstar wants to rant about how wwe is loving up the women's division again or EMF wants to be a cody/wwe enjoyer then why not? In this shitshow of a landscape we're all dealing with right now everybody has to find their own slice of happiness and escape and who am I to choose what that is for anybody

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Heard it straight from Titan Towers. Don’t take time off from not being medically cleared before dying, it’s gotta be quick to count

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

They haven’t lost a real WWE legend yet. It’s gonna be interesting to see what kind of show they put on when someone that Vince loves dies.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Island Nation posted:

Bray was medically inactive

They were making plans for him to come back when they heard he was progressing a week or two ago https://www.forbes.com/sites/blakeo...sh=7c4757c547f5

quote:

According to a report from Fightful Select (h/t Wrestling Inc), Wyatt is nearing a triumphant return after battling a “life-threatening” illness: “Wyatt is inching closer to being medically cleared to wrestle, but WWE is taking precautions to make sure that his long-term health will be stable following the illness, which they've learned was at one point both career and life-threatening.”

...Fightful Select adds, “Wyatt's outlook is said to have improved significantly since then. Not only is Wyatt getting closer to being cleared, but creative plans have begun to be pitched for the former WWE Champion, with September mentioned as a possible return.”

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
.....aaaand, the smarks came back, the very next day....

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

SpeakSlow posted:

are the smarks in the room with you right now

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

SpeakSlow posted:

What?

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Chris James 2 posted:

They were making plans for him to come back when they heard he was progressing a week or two ago https://www.forbes.com/sites/blakeo...sh=7c4757c547f5

Seeing the context on bray is so wild - legitimately didn't know he was battling that specific illness and thought it was time off for mental health before a return due to all of the character and backstage fuckery he was dealing with

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

the dam IWC…

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Smarks piss me off worse than Elon.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Sword spray more like smark spray imo

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

me and my friend smark

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Aren’t we talking about the company that used Paul Wights father dying during a feud with Big Boss Man as part of the feud?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Pillowpants posted:

Aren’t we talking about the company that used Paul Wights father dying during a feud with Big Boss Man as part of the feud?

no Paul Wight's real father died years before that angle

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

r.i.p andre

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i like what that guy said. get over it

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Pillowpants posted:

No this is the company that pretended to dump Paul Bearer's ashes all over the Undertaker while Bearer's family was watching in the audience, then lied about getting their permission to do it. Let's be accurate, please.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Natalya using reid flair for a one off throwaway cheap heat when he wasnt even cold yet. Imo

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

This was incredibly funny though

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
"Dad, get off that table and help me!"

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Give it like 2 years and they’ll be using Bray’s death for cheap heat in a Braun Strowman vs Ridge Holland feud

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

JUNGLE BOY posted:

haha wtf

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

JUNGLE BOY posted:

See, it's like everyone said. They give the people they like big fancy death tables but

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Invalid Validation posted:

They haven’t lost a real WWE legend yet. It’s gonna be interesting to see what kind of show they put on when someone that Vince loves dies.

When Flair or Hogan drops dead it's going to be reeeal interesting to see what happens.

As much of a Flair fanboy as HHH and Shawn are, we're probably going to get like a week straight of tribute stuff from them.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

projecthalaxy posted:

See, it's like everyone said. They give the people they like big fancy death tables but

Run red beard run!

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

All ears, all eyes, all the time!

projecthalaxy posted:

oh noooo ahahahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
I think the best WWE tribute they could do is a 1-hour cinematic special including the New Day, Orton, Rollins, Red Beard, Braun, and eventually John Cena where he just does the most hokey sesame street talking to the puppets about loss before the spirit of the Fiend takes everything over and Uncle Howdy gives us another version of the WM match

It'd be a great way of remembering him, it'd be the kind of insane stuff he would have wanted, and it's a good way to let guys like Big E, Orton, Alexa Bliss, and Braun who can't really wrestle, a good way of performing without making them take any real bumps.

like idk just start the show out as "WWE Superstars are traveling to the Wyatt Family Compound to pay their respects" and then have it go totally off the rails.

But they don't do "network specials" anymore