Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

<----- uBlock Origin pleb and Asmongold is bloody soul destroying, i block his feed any time it pops up.

edit; horrid page snipe, a :comfyoot: to all who have watched any LMG content.

Just Another Lurker fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Aug 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Aware posted:

I still pay for youtube as a holdover from the GPM/Red days primarily for YT music and it's fine. I watch enough yt content that no ads is worth it and yt music became my primary music source when GPM was killed. I don't feel bad about it

Youtube without adds owns, sharing it with my parents / wife / son owns.

We are considering cutting hulu/netflix/disney+ because we watch so much youtube and our son just wants to play videogames and watch "Lets plays."

We have prime video and we can just buy shows.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry but also owns.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I have brainworms and watch YT the most, premium is absolutely crucial. I do wish they’d force creators to make sponsorships skippable.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I just screen share my Macbook with all the ad blockers and SponsorBlock to my TV when I want to watch Youtube on the TV.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

whiskas posted:

I don't know anything about this asmongold guy, but from the few videos I watched his shtick seems to be doing reaction videos but with one novelty. There's something about the guys eyes/face that makes him look completely bewildered/concerned at everything. Watching even the most mundane stuff he is able to come off as if he is watching the moon landing for the first time. And it's not like he's trying either, it's just something with his facial expressions and mannerisms. Watching him tickles the same part of my brain that watching a child see an escaltor for the first time does.

he defended andrew tate when he got arrested and is pretty toxic in general.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Romes128 posted:

he defended andrew tate when he got arrested and is pretty toxic in general.

Isn't that 99,9% of male MMO twitch streamers? Every time I get FF14 or WOW in my twitch suggestion, the streamer is almost always like one inch from reciting Mein Kampf from memory.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

SlowBloke posted:

Isn't that 99,9% of male MMO twitch streamers? Every time I get FF14 or WOW in my twitch suggestion, the streamer is almost always like one inch from reciting Mein Kampf from memory.
there aren't what i would call big ff14 streamers. there are people who are more prominent than others, but no one's becoming a millionaire off being a full-time ff14 streamer

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah FF14 players are too busy playing FF14 and writing fan fiction to watch people streaming FF14.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

njsykora posted:

Yeah FF14 players are too busy playing FF14 and writing fan fiction to watch people streaming FF14.

There's the emotional vampire segment who watches people play the main story the first time and there's a decent chunk of change to be made in doing that. Once. Sub/viewership count will fall off a cliff the second you finish the story lol

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
The pro move is to not have recommended videos at all. No feed. No algorithm.

Just the video that plays then it ends to black.

It really weirds me out that everyone actively cultivates their feed when Google can and does shove the absolute worst garbage down it in order to try to get you to stay and watch even more.

Re: the Gamers Nexus ethics and standards video was totally fine, not snarky at all.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Combat Pretzel posted:

--edit: OTOH, do tell about Asmongold. The thread is lacking drama content currently.

Asmon was a decently big streamer who got huge no-lifeing WoW Classic during the pandemic.

I've heard some biz interviews with him about content creation for youtube and twitch. He came across as a clever and cynical businessman. Puts a lot of work into gaming youtube's algorithm. Wouldn't surprise me if he says some chud stuff if he knows it'll get views, although I doubt he really gives a poo poo either way.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Just sprinkle some chud stuff in there... aaaand voila!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Just being racist for the clicks guys.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Is asmongold the guy who used to wipe the blood from his gums on the wall above his bed before he got up every day? And who generally lives in a pit of filth?

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Fruits of the sea posted:

Asmon was a decently big streamer who got huge no-lifeing WoW Classic during the pandemic.

I've heard some biz interviews with him about content creation for youtube and twitch. He came across as a clever and cynical businessman. Puts a lot of work into gaming youtube's algorithm. Wouldn't surprise me if he says some chud stuff if he knows it'll get views, although I doubt he really gives a poo poo either way.
he's basically the typical aging gamer who doesn't like to play videogames and sucks at them without wanting to admit to it, and prefers to rant about stuff and send death threats to developers and sjw's

he used to make fun of people putting pronouns in bios, but now he's trying to cash in on talking about catgirls and vtubers and has a talent management agencies for especially vtubers now

dude likes to have his cake and eat it too, which makes sense, because people always end up sucking up to big influencers, regardless of how loving awful they are. no wonder they live in their own reality

Fil5000 posted:

Is asmongold the guy who used to wipe the blood from his gums on the wall above his bed before he got up every day? And who generally lives in a pit of filth?
i think he still does both

but it's totally cool and based and ironic because he's a millionaire or whatever

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

yeah whenever he has shown off his room it is poopsocker level

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

njsykora posted:

Just being racist for the clicks guys.

Yep! Frustrating thing with this sort is they are smart enough to toe the line so folks don't leave and moderators can't intervene.

E:

kliras posted:

he's basically the typical aging gamer who doesn't like to play videogames and sucks at them without wanting to admit to it

tbf this is like half the internet

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Aug 27, 2023

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

His takes are very non chud for a man who smears blood from his teeth on the wall.

https://youtu.be/mdQY0ACwSTI?si=lpbSM52TU7yudgHY

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

He's also proud of never having eaten an apple in his entire life, and I think the only fruit he's come close to eating was a single cherry tomato which made him throw up without even chewing on it.

If it says something about our culture that the people who make it big on Twitch and YouTube are the way they are, it's some pretty damning commentary on all of us.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Yep! Frustrating thing with this sort is they are smart enough to toe the line so folks don't leave and moderators can't intervene.

E:

tbf this is like half the internet
that's my point: he's unremarkable and unlikeable in a way that's also very relateable to many awful bitter people who are only getting older. and he tries to elevate being a bitter rear end in a top hat to something intellectual, which is what people used to do while wearing fedoras and trilbys on youtube

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

spunkshui posted:

His takes are very non chud for a man who smears blood from his teeth on the wall.

https://youtu.be/mdQY0ACwSTI?si=lpbSM52TU7yudgHY

Hey, it already got 100+k views after 5 hours!

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Asmongold is built differently from the rest of us.

He can recall like every item in wow and where it drops by looking at its artwork on a model over and over but also has teeth falling out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-29Y09XLmxk

Hes like the nikola tesla of videogames.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

His mom was a Trump support and Qanon enthusiast so based on what I heard him say about that he isn’t a chud. However he does have some bOtH sIdEs centrist bullshit views.

He is super rich now but presents as wearing the same dirty undershirt every day and eating two dollar steaks for dinner every night. Which I think is partially true but also comes off also as a business decision to present as relatable to his hardcore MMO fan base.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

rio posted:

He is super rich now but presents as wearing the same dirty undershirt every day and eating two dollar steaks for dinner every night. Which I think is partially true but also comes off also as a business decision to present as relatable to his hardcore MMO fan base.
in my experience, big influencers are people who present in a certain "entertaining" way, and their friends and fans will go on to suggest that it's all an act, but it's just really that bad most of the time. same thing with xqc who also takes five minutes to make everything look like absolute poo poo around him. they just have enough money for to not matter and be as embarrassing, because it gets so extreme it becomes "content"

a lot of influencers pretend to be way worse at cooking than they are, that much is definitely an act

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

rio posted:

He actually went off about this in the video just linked about the weather girl. I actually don't think he is presenting an image as much as others do. He really does just live in absolute filth because that's the life he's most comfortable living.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I won’t hear any dissing on dudes what wallow

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
I started paying for YouTube like ~five years ago when I put together some sleep playlists after a lovely breakup, and I just never stopped once YouTube became my primary source of “TV-like” media

Turns out that you end up watching and listening to a ton more content when it isn’t full of obnoxious Google ads every 10 minutes

Tuxedo Gin posted:

yeah whenever he has shown off his room it is poopsocker level

Asmongold is fascinating because he has more money than God now, but he lives like the grossest college sophomore you remember.

Like there are old clip compilations of him looking mortified as a housekeeper comes through midstream and just starts digging through his literal bags of trash in the background. I think now he’s learned to just tune them out

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006

SourKraut posted:

My Torrent has giant tempered glass side panels and I'll have you know it's as cool as a cucumber, thank you very much!

the fractal torrent is a great example of constraining airflow being key to good air-cooling design. the relocation of the psu to the top, the removal of top exhaust, and the use of a diagonally-sloping face on the psu shroud to force airflow from the front intake into a narrower channel as it flows past the cpu and out the back is why it outperforms similarly-sized cases with similar bulk flowrate characteristics at cpu air-cooling, but is basically in the middle of the pack if you slap an aio on the cpu instead. since ducting has to be custom per build, the torrent's approach represents the best that can be done for a mid tower case for the diy market that people expect to accommodate all kinds of sub-optimal builds

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Fil5000 posted:

Is asmongold the guy who used to wipe the blood from his gums on the wall above his bed before he got up every day?
Wait, what? What does that mean?

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

He's also proud of never having eaten an apple in his entire life, and I think the only fruit he's come close to eating was a single cherry tomato which made him throw up without even chewing on it.
Doesn't need a Youtuber or Twitch streamer for that. A coworker of mine thinks the three strips of lettuce on a Bigmac cover your daily amount of vitamins.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Aug 27, 2023

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Combat Pretzel posted:

Cant have teeth blood dripping on your shirt so you wipe it off with your finger and smear it on the wall.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
i think he just presses his gums against the wall to cut out the middle step actually

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

spunkshui posted:

Cant have teeth blood dripping on your shirt so you wipe it off with your finger and smear it on the wall.
:psypop:

kliras posted:

same thing with xqc who also takes five minutes to make everything look like absolute poo poo around him
I don't get the popularity of that guy either. I know that he streamed actual gameplay on Twitch in the past, but "recently" he's just no effort reacting to stupid poo poo on Youtube. And a whole twatwaffle about it all.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Didn't he get big off the Johnny Depp trial?

And it might be all for show, and maybe that room he streams from is just in a studio somewhere to look like filth, but dude doesn't even stream on his main channel, but a 2nd channel with subs disabled. Just missing out on millions?

I think the guy just really enjoys streaming and got lucky to get as successful as he is.

I'm a huge liberal, watched lots of asmon, and never got chud energy from him.

Airconswitch
Aug 23, 2010

Boston is truly where it all began. Join me in continuing this bold endeavor, so that future generations can say 'this is where the promise was fulfilled.'

Combat Pretzel posted:

Scurvy, presumably

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Airconswitch posted:

Scurvy, presumably

Dude just doesn't eat fruit and veg so his gums are a loving nightmare, yeah.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Harminoff posted:

yeah, he went big on being team depp on twitch, probably more than anyone else on the platform. his youtube channel from that time has a crazy amount of videos on it

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Man this guy asmongold sounds like a freakshow.

Is this the guy that is in that video meme of a guy saying “oh yeah that’s what I’m talking about baybeeee!”?

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

priznat posted:

Is this the guy that is in that video meme of a guy saying “oh yeah that’s what I’m talking about baybeeee!”?

That's Cr1TiKaL, but he's much more hygienic than Asmongold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Harminoff posted:

Asmongold was already popular before this, but lots of streamers jumped on the Depp trial bandwagon because people love to gossip