Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

lol at calling your luxury supercar company "Everyman"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

speng31b
May 8, 2010

cat botherer posted:

Not taller, just stronger.

Girthier bollards ftw

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord
is ferrari that sports car company that makes you buy a "starter" version thats still a couple mil to prove you can handle one of their even more expensive models or am i confusing them with rolls-royce or something

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Hello, a quick question. Started listening to podcasts lately, and one I like is called Volts. It's mainly regarding climate change, the energy industry, de-carbonizing the planet etc etc.
It has some episodes on urbanism, walkable communities, transport, getting rid of cars/suburbs etc, and I would like to hear more.

Could anyone suggest any good podcasts on the subject?

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Also, a pretty good NJB video came out today..C:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztpcWUqVpIg

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Dante80 posted:

Hello, a quick question. Started listening to podcasts lately, and one I like is called Volts. It's mainly regarding climate change, the energy industry, de-carbonizing the planet etc etc.
It has some episodes on urbanism, walkable communities, transport, getting rid of cars/suburbs etc, and I would like to hear more.

Could anyone suggest any good podcasts on the subject?

the war on cars is OK but more or less exactly what youre asking for

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
War on cars can be almost comedically out of touch sometimes. Their recent miniseries on car meets was almost pith helmet level safari that was really condescending to the subjects.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

DoctorWhat posted:

War on cars can be almost comedically out of touch sometimes. Their recent miniseries on car meets was almost pith helmet level safari that was really condescending to the subjects.
lol, as if there's a way not to condescend to those so terminally car-brained that they toss ludicrous amounts of money at their vehicle to better terrorize and murder their neighbors

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Doing donuts in a parking lot is one of the least horrible ways you can operate a motor vehicle and the War on Cars guys seemed baffled by the idea that a real life thrill ride is different from playing GTA Online.

mystes
May 31, 2006

DoctorWhat posted:

Doing donuts in a parking lot is one of the least horrible ways you can operate a motor vehicle and the War on Cars guys seemed baffled by the idea that a real life thrill ride is different from playing GTA Online.
It sounds like you're a car enthusiast

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I own a war on cars t-shirt and commute exclusively by electric bike. Sometimes War on Cars can be really insightful and good journalism (car shows, safety regulations, land use) but sometimes they are totally detached.

mystes
May 31, 2006

DoctorWhat posted:

I own a war on cars t-shirt and commute exclusively by electric bike. Sometimes War on Cars can be really insightful and good journalism (car shows, safety regulations, land use) but sometimes they are totally detached.
OK but you've participated in car meets and that's why you're mad right?

mystes has issued a correction as of 19:49 on Aug 27, 2023

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I don't own a car and I'm not "mad". I just think it was cringe as hell listening to white park slope parents try to "get with the kids" about car meets and either feign bafflement or be sincerely at a loss when those events are obviously a community bonding exercise in an increasingly atomized world.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I personally don't even particularly like that podcast and it's pretty annoying/condescending all the time but I don't understand why you would like it the rest of the time but suddenly dislike it when they're applying that exact same level of condescension and performative incomprehension to car meets? Like that's the whole point of the podcast, isn't it?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I think there's a difference between a smug superior attitude directed at big institutions and manufacturers and being willfully obtuse about motorsport.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
I mean, Christian nationalism can be reduced to a "community bonding exercise", but that doesn't mean it's worthy of anything but contempt.

I'm curious what you found objectionable in those car meet episodes. If anything, they just gave the subjects a broad platform to express themselves about their sociopathic "hobby"—it wasn't condescending that it reflected poorly on the participants.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Malleum posted:

is ferrari that sports car company that makes you buy a "starter" version thats still a couple mil to prove you can handle one of their even more expensive models or am i confusing them with rolls-royce or something

Yeah that's Ferrari lol, can't buy one of their special edition cars even if you want to unless you've owned one of their 'normal' tier before. I guess in this case it's probably good marketing to treat your customers like pay piggies.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

webcams for christ posted:

still too much space

This is extremely cool. My former work had a courtyard with like 15 parking spaces and an equal amount of space for probably around a hundred bikes. I think the bike space made more sense. Also I've never had to walk more than like 100 meters to anywhere from where I parked my bike.

But also I think we are going about this the wrong way. Instead of trying to beat the cars in a game of cars vs bikes, we need to upgrade the truks to literal tanks with threads and cannons, so traffic will be truktanks vs cars, with bikes getting to ride zigzag around the destroyed cars.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

The car meet guys come off as deranged but they're individuals. The problem with cars is institutional. Usually The War on Cars focuses on institutions but the car meet series is all about individuals, and also the host who was part of the ride-alongs comes across as extremely sheltered and squeamish.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

BonHair posted:

This is extremely cool. My former work had a courtyard with like 15 parking spaces and an equal amount of space for probably around a hundred bikes. I think the bike space made more sense. Also I've never had to walk more than like 100 meters to anywhere from where I parked my bike.

But also I think we are going about this the wrong way. Instead of trying to beat the cars in a game of cars vs bikes, we need to upgrade the truks to literal tanks with threads and cannons, so traffic will be truktanks vs cars, with bikes getting to ride zigzag around the destroyed cars.

As long as there's still enough shampoo for me to perfect my apocalypse style. I'm going to be a trophy, personally

mystes
May 31, 2006

DoctorWhat posted:

The car meet guys come off as deranged but they're individuals. The problem with cars is institutional. Usually The War on Cars focuses on institutions but the car meet series is all about individuals, and also the host who was part of the ride-alongs comes across as extremely sheltered and squeamish.
But it's the same thing they do in every episode. It doesn't sound like your problem is that they're doing something different so much as you think car meets are cool so they shouldn't be the object of the derision that they apply to cars in general.

I understand the idea that that (to the extent that they aren't drag racing or otherwise driving poorly on open roads) car enthusiasts who just use cars as toys arguably aren't responsible for the same types of social problems that use of cars for transportation causes. But on the other hand, if practical use of cars for transportation is bad, should I really have to be extra sympathetic towards people who use cars purely as toys?

It's like guns. I can understand the idea that people who use guns purely for sport aren't causing the same types of problems as people who buy guns for self defense, but do I think that if ownership of guns for self defense is banned we should go out of our way to allow guns for sport just because there are people who think guns are cool and have chosen that as their hobby? gently caress no. Do I feel like I'm obligated to not think they're weirdos? Nope

If cars didn't exist, car enthusiasts would have to find a new hobby with sucks for them but there's nothing unique about being a car enthusiast that provides opportunities for community that other hobbies don't.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

mystes posted:

If cars didn't exist, car enthusiasts would have to find a new hobby with sucks for them but there's nothing unique about being a car enthusiast that provides opportunities for community that other hobbies don't.

This is vastly underestimating how toxic masculinity limits men from a lot of hobbies though. If you can't afford a house with a worship and a yard, a car is the safest choice probably. Not saying that's cool or good.

Also I'm gonna say that hunting is an okay hobby even if it has guns.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
you dont have to use guns to hunt. our ancestors used to run animals to death

Troutful
May 31, 2011

Malleum posted:

yes, and I think they tried to sue deadmau5 for having an unapproved customized ferrari lol

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

in a garage, on a closed track, or sitting at a car show are the safest places for cars to be. we can get rid of cars from everyone's daily lives and also still let car enthusiasts enjoy their hobby.

much like steam tractor enthusiasts now

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Peanut President posted:

you dont have to use guns to hunt. our ancestors used to run animals to death

Imagining 5 truks chasing a herd of buffalo off a cliff. My heart tells me that this would appeal to some people too. Also if it catches on, 1 in 5 truks are gonna fall off.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
At its core, drink driving could be said to be an infrastructure issue. Car brain infected city planners across much of the world in the last 100 years, leading to car -dependent built environments and drastic under-investment in alternatives. The impaired individual might not have much in the way of options when they've had one too many. We need to fight for systemic change to close that gap.

But it would be disastrous to point at the real need for systemic change to downplay the ask that we culturally become less accepting of drink drivers and, yes, hold individuals accountable when they put their neighbors at risk through their own bad decisions. While drink driving gets a lot of lip service when addressed the abstract, the danger all too often is handwaved away when individuals face the scenario in the real world. And, even when drivers do harm, outright murder is broadly tolerated because we live in a deeply car-brained society. Fighting to change those attitudes is not only as important as fighting for better infrastructure, but must go hand in hand with it—changing attitudes about our relationship with cars and their drivers catalyzes demand for the costly structural changes we need, and vice versa.

You can replace "drink driving" with all kinds of sociopathic driver behavior, whether dangerous and disruptive "car meets", distracted driving, or plain old rolling through stop signs, and the same will be true.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Right I agree. The podcast episode in question wasn't really about persuading car meet maniacs in any way, and the hosts didn't have the bona-fides to go about that if they wanted to. It was pure atrocity tourism.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Malleum posted:

It's a couple hundred thou not a couple mil but yes, and that's very common among veblen goods peddlers (cars, watches, etc).

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
Finally got around to tensioning and truing these wheels I built with vintage lightweight tubular rims and old campagnolo hubs. Gonna glue the tires on tonight.

Nothing stopping car enthusiasts from moving to tinkering around with bicycles. It's significantly cheaper

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

riding my feather again today. great breeze.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Also tubs feel SO loving GOOD to ride on.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
First time I"m hearing about Mackinac Michigan where they banned all cars 100 years ago

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/hDu6ngVdGew

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

evil_bunnY posted:

Also tubs feel SO loving GOOD to ride on.

Oh yeah, this bike is a real dream to ride. I got some puncture resistant tubulars on there now and I'm gonna test some lighter weight cheap ones on the new rims to see how it goes with all the glass on the street. If I don't get flats all over the place I might eventually invest in something fancier.

Someone mentioned that these old steel road bikes have room for a good amount of tire and that's true for mine, so whenever I'm not being too lazy to drive to a trail, I'll try out the wheels I built with 32mm gravel tires

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I stopped listening to War on Cars right around when they had Kara Swisher on talking about Elon Musk

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Malleum posted:

I think it's even worse than that, like they make you fly to Maranello and tour their factory or some poo poo if you want to buy a current model. They definitely have an intense vetting process for new buyers. As much as I hate cars, I am kind of a sucker for the brand (I used to be really into F1 and with Italian family it's kind of a given; my aunt always gets me something from their souvenir store in the Venice airport when she visits) and if I were stupid rich would probably drink the Kool-Aid - although the best car they ever made was the Testarossa so that's probably all I'd want. Beats the hell out of Lamborghini, literally the Ed Hardy trucker hats of supercars; driven by assholes with too much money and zero taste, and high off their own farts since Nolan made Batman drive one so now everything they make looks like a cheap Batmobile.

And yeah, lol, Ferrari totally threatened to sue Deadmau5 over the 'Nyan Cat' livery (and custom cat badge) he wrapped his 458 in. Just a top-tier Battle of the Assholes.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

I don't really have opinions about cars other than does this little poo poo box get my wife to work for cheap. Some of them look nice and others don't, maybe. I hate driving like I hate guns: I'd be happy to give them up entirely, but yeah they're both legitimately fun and interesting contraptions that can be used in purely sport and non-lethal means

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mauser posted:

old campagnolo hubs

i am the great campagnolo! mtb for my bunghole

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

leftist heap posted:

I stopped listening to War on Cars right around when they had Kara Swisher on talking about Elon Musk
Hahahaha the cringe must have been palpable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

https://twitter.com/jrock08/status/1695557248268059132