Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Yeah, I too hate it when people take a shared interest in literature. Especially when I'm not finished reading it. Ashholes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlashFearless
Nov 4, 2004
Death. But not for you, Gunslinger. Never for you.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Maybe they just don't consider people who are scrolling their phones as anyone worth talking to :shrug:

e: Just remembered some wino asking me "is it any good?" on the bus, and because I hate people I just said "how the gently caress would I know, you can see I'm only on like page 50?" and he said "yeah" and didn't talk to me anymore. I see this as a win-win result.

If you did this in a Stephen King novel, you'd have some real hosed up poo poo waiting for you around the corner.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

FlashFearless posted:

If you did this in a Stephen King novel, you'd have some real hosed up poo poo waiting for you around the corner.

It's some poo poo the guy in THINNER would do before he gets cursed.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Read an excerpt from Holly here: https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/books/a44730879/stephen-king-holly-excerpt/

MNIMWA
Dec 1, 2014

Just finished the Dark Tower book four, and man. That was awesome. Jumping right into five.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I'm rereading The Shining for the first time in years. All due respect for Kubrick's adaptation; it's a fantastic movie (and Shelley Duvall is unfairly criticized for her acting in it). But you just can't beat how the book gets deep into Jack's mind. The way he effortlessly swings between genuine concern and love for Wendy and Danny and kill them all is just so good.

Just passed the Room 217 part and it's hard for me to put the book down and stop once I start reading.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

All due respect for Kubrick's adaptation; it's a fantastic movie

I still don't get this opinion, Kubrick butchered an amazing book into a passable slasher movie.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Well, I do respect the film for its Kurickian details - the shots, the complexity of some character moments. You're right, though, that the film adds parts that I highly doubt King intended (example: an analyzer on Youtube interpreted the infamous "blowjob bear" scene as suggesting that Jack might be sexually abusing Danny, which is absolutely not in the book).

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I didn't like it at all at first but eventually came around to it. Kubrick butchered the characters but he absolutely nailed the surreal horror of the Overlook (even if he took it too far sometimes). When I realized that the movie was about the hotel and not about Jack, Wendy, and Danny, it became a lot more enjoyable.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
The blowjob bear has a pretty clear meaning in the book too. He debases himself for Horace Derwent/ The hotel's approval in the ballroom. Much like Jack.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Well, I do respect the film for its Kurickian details - the shots, the complexity of some character moments. You're right, though, that the film adds parts that I highly doubt King intended (example: an analyzer on Youtube interpreted the infamous "blowjob bear" scene as suggesting that Jack might be sexually abusing Danny, which is absolutely not in the book).

There are a few little things to support that interpretation.
The magazine Jack is reading in the hotel lobby is a playgirl with a story about fathers who sexually abuse their children, I think when we see Danny after his episode near the beginning his pants are gone inexplicably, I think there are a few others.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

MNIMWA posted:

Just finished the Dark Tower book four, and man. That was awesome. Jumping right into five.

:ohdear:

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

:lol:

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Man, 3 and 4 were so loving good.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

MNIMWA posted:

Wizard & Glass is so good. Probably my favorite King book. Personally, I didn't like V-VII nearly as much (and I think that's largely the consensus) but I still like the whole series overall. Please share your thoughts with the thread as you continue!

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

I'm rereading The Shining for the first time in years. All due respect for Kubrick's adaptation; it's a fantastic movie (and Shelley Duvall is unfairly criticized for her acting in it). But you just can't beat how the book gets deep into Jack's mind. The way he effortlessly swings between genuine concern and love for Wendy and Danny and kill them all is just so good.

Just passed the Room 217 part and it's hard for me to put the book down and stop once I start reading.

Shelley Duvall was abused by Kubrick to get exactly the portrayal of Wendy that he wanted. If you watch the documentary Kubrick's daughter made about the making of The Shining movie you can see behind the scenes clips of her being very fraught and way to in to the role. Hell, Nicholson was way too in to his role. Scatman Crothers cries on camera about how beautiful and important and amazing the movie is and how grateful he was to be a part of it. That set must have been a trip to be on because Kubrick's madness is probably at its peak there, ironically.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I was alright with the first Dark Tower book, then I read the second and it just completely destroyed all desire I had to continue with the series.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I read the first one and enjoyed it, or maybe the first two.

Then in the next one there was, maybe a giant robot dinosaur or something like that? I can’t remember, it’s been years.

Maybe not a dinosaur but it was some kind of giant robot and I just kind of checked out.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I actually think book 5 is perfectly cromulent for like 90%+ of its length, but beware that it has a fair amount of King's patented Writing About People With Learning Delays That Are Magical. 6 is the absolute nadir of the series for me and 7 is also pretty bad.

^^^edit it's a giant robot bear and that part is awesome?

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Book One: College
Book Two: Cocaine
Book Three and Four: Sobriety
Book Five Six and Seven: Post-accident drugs, pain, and PTSD

Baron von Eevl posted:

I actually think book 5 is perfectly cromulent for like 90%+ of its length, but beware that it has a fair amount of King's patented Writing About People With Learning Delays That Are Magical. 6 is the absolute nadir of the series for me and 7 is also pretty bad.

spoilers since someone's about to start it: I like a lot about 5. The Seven Samurai plot is pretty great, and I love the idea of Oriza's plates as weapons. But there's so much about it that really drags down the story for me: the introduction of commala and the overuse of it for the next 2000 pages, the Harry Potter and Dr. Doom poo poo, Callahan's over-long backstory about living in the 80s, and of course the start of the meta aspects. I love that the first four books in the series all feel different from each other, but the tone that started with 5 and carried through to the end made the back half of the series feel like a cartoon in the way the other books didn't. They all have some good-to-great sequences, even book 6 has that awesome gas station shoot-out, but on balance they're bad more than good. I'll always wonder about the version we would have gotten if he hadn't been hit by the van.

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Aug 27, 2023

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I think I remember hearing he was like 80% done 5 when the van happened.

I don't mind the wolves being doombots that throw literal HP merchandise but deadly, the whole series has a weird "poo poo from our world washed up like flotsam after a shipwreck" thing, it's not that out of place.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
That's fair, and it certainly isn't like there wasn't precedent for it in book 4 with all the Oz stuff, or even some of the allusions in book 3. But IMO he handled it better in the early half of the series than the back half.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I never read any Dark Tower books since I tend to dislike westerns, as well as most sci fi. Nothing I really learn about the series makes me want to invest time in them either but if I happen upon one of them in a book sharing box or something I might give one a shot. Can they be read individually and out of order? Do they stand alone?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

I never read any Dark Tower books since I tend to dislike westerns, as well as most sci fi. Nothing I really learn about the series makes me want to invest time in them either but if I happen upon one of them in a book sharing box or something I might give one a shot. Can they be read individually and out of order? Do they stand alone?

The first one kinda has a different vibe than the rest and it works well enough on its own since it’s mostly just vignettes tied to the pursuit of the dark man. The rest are definitely an ongoing saga though.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

BiggerBoat posted:

You could read the Gunslinger as its own thing and ignore the rest, and you could probably read Wizard and Glass independently because it's basically one long flashback, but other than that, no, they definitely do not stand alone and the order matters a lot.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

It was a god drat thousand-year-old cyborg bear that was like 12 feet tall and constantly sneezing out a slurry of mucous, parasitic worms, and chunks of its own dead flesh directly into eddie's open mouth and it was cool as poo poo

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I think it was more like 120 feet tall

edit according to some wiki it was 70 feet tall

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

BiggerBoat posted:

Books 1, 4, and 4.5 (Wind Through the Keyhole) could be read as standalone entries, and the "Little Sisters of Eluria" novelette as well. The other books are all pretty reliant on whatever the previous installment was and wouldn't be nearly as accessible outside of a sequential read of the series.

If you really want to test out the series without getting too deep Little Sisters would probably be more than enough to help you assess if the rest is worth your time. Also helps that it is a kickass story even without the connection to the main series.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

BiggerBoat posted:

I like most King books, don’t care for western and scifi either. I’ve read the first 4 DT books and can’t say I liked any of them. It’s been over a decade but I remember that I found the gunslinger incredibly boring and the one with Blaine (probably book 3 or 4) pretty longwinded.

They’re on my list to read again as I do enjoy the references in other books (like Hearts in Atlantis). So I’ll probably give it another shot one day.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I enjoyed 5, 6 and 7 for the most part but they were all way, way, way too long. Seeing them all lined up on my bookshelf is hilarious how much they grow

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Don’t bother with the books. Just watch the Dark Tower movie. It’s got everything you need.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

You take it back right fuckin now

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

oldpainless posted:

Don’t bother with the books. Just watch the Dark Tower movie. It’s got everything you need.

Why must you hate so?

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Mister Kingdom posted:

Why must you hate so?

Library police

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

titties posted:

It was a god drat thousand-year-old cyborg bear that was like 12 feet tall and constantly sneezing out a slurry of mucous, parasitic worms, and chunks of its own dead flesh directly into eddie's open mouth and it was cool as poo poo

Ah yes, of course. I don’t know where I got dinosaur from.

It was basically a 100 foot-tall mechanical Shardik.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I think the idea that there were actual gods walking around, and then civilization got tricked by interdimensional horrors into replacing them with biomechanical versions who then slowly went insane over millennia, that's a fun idea.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

titties posted:

fuckin' A right. The third book's entire vibe of decay and the engines that drive everything from robo-bears, to trains, to existence itself slowly rusting shut and making GBS threads gears just did something for me.

My second read through of the entire series, after all 8 books were out, were a bit kinder to a lot of 5-7, but they're still the absolute weakest.

oldpainless posted:

:mods:

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

oldpainless posted:

I really need to get around to watching that movie.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

fuckin' A right. The third book's entire vibe of decay and the engines that drive everything from robo-bears, to trains, to existence itself slowly rusting shut and making GBS threads gears just did something for me.

:hmmyes:

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Mat Cauthon posted:

It’s honestly impressive how they managed to make the Dark Tower content that bland and boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Mat Cauthon posted:

Time to roll the dice.