Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Storage not user upgradeable either and it's those crazy NAND modules you have to use an Apple utility to install

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I kinda want a maxed out iMac Pro just as a collectible. But maybe I'll just get a last gen maxed out 2020 when they plummet in price.

Is the nano-texture glass easily scratched?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Shaocaholica posted:

I kinda want a maxed out iMac Pro just as a collectible. But maybe I'll just get a last gen maxed out 2020 when they plummet in price.

Is the nano-texture glass easily scratched?

nah, get an intel Mac Pro instead. Machines that were like $14k new are selling for $3-4k, 8 core models are like $2k

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Ok Comboomer posted:

nah, get an intel Mac Pro instead. Machines that were like $14k new are selling for $3-4k, 8 core models are like $2k

Seconding this, especially it has much more flexibility in keeping it going long-term.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
slap the best AMD you can afford into it and play BG3

and/or

slap any gpu into it and Bootcamp it

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Last gen Intel Mac Pros also have a good chance of being able to run newer AMD GPUs

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Ok Comboomer posted:

slap the best AMD you can afford into it and play BG3

and/or

slap any gpu into it and Bootcamp it

drat straight!

Binary Badger posted:

Last gen Intel Mac Pros also have a good chance of being able to run newer AMD GPUs

In terms of macOS, the most recently-supported is RDNA2, and the highest one is the 6900 XT.

You can install RDNA3, but macOS doesn't recognize them and it gets the same sleep issues in macOS that nVidia's cards do.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Shaocaholica posted:

Whoops I got confused with another listing with 256G

Here's the 256G one I got confused with:

Same price as the 128G one. I could probably lowball the guy and get some more taken off but lol I'm not paying $2500 for an Intel Mac rn.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Another comedy option: $400 for a maxed out trash can?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Folks in the UK who like powerful Macs and also having money left over should possibly note this Argos deal; last year's Mac Studio base config for £1499 (M1 Max 8p2e24g, 32/512). Original sticker price £1999. Pretty good.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Fedule posted:

Folks in the UK who like powerful Macs and also having money left over should possibly note this Argos deal; last year's Mac Studio base config for £1499 (M1 Max 8p2e24g, 32/512). Original sticker price £1999. Pretty good.

Thats kinda tempting at that price but aren’t there going to be some m3 machines soon?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Any guesses on if the iMac Pro will be dropped from future MacOS before the 2020 intel iMac. Or do you think they will be dropped at the the same time? Basically will the 2020 last longer.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

I'd expect the iMac Pro to be dropped before the 2020 iMac, but probably just like a year before. The iMac Pro is basically a 2018 model (released December 2017 originally), so I assume it'll be dropped at the same time as the 2018 Mac mini.

I think Sonoma this year, or next year's release, will probably be the last to support everything but the 2019 Mac Pro and the 2020 Intel Macs, which I think will go to either 2025 (likely) or 2026 (less likely) as the last-supported macOS release.

Edit: Not to sound bad, but is there any reason in particular for the preference/obsession with the iMac Pro vs. a 2020 iMac?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It comes with a black lightning cable.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
iMac Pro tops out at 18 cores. The 2020 only 10. Not sure what the actual real world difference is tho.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

It also has the word Pro in it.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
And it comes in grey.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I upgraded my old rear end MBP to a new Air last month and all is well. I realized that I do need to install 1Password just to get a few codes out of my vault before I cancel my subscription. Well apparently I changed my login password, so I went to try and use the QR code login by producing the code on my iphone, and when I go to login using the code on my MBA, the Air takes over my iphone to use it's camera to scan the QR code that is ON MY loving PHONE instead of using the MBA's camera. How can I change this so I can strangle everyone at 1password for being idiot assholes?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Screencap the QR code, save to iCloud Photos, pull it up on the Air, when the Air takes over your iPhone camera scan the code on the Air screen?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
That's Continuity Camera helpfully activating. You can switch which camera it's using in Control Center when the green dot is showing.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

e: ignore

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Fedule posted:

That's Continuity Camera helpfully activating. You can switch which camera it's using in Control Center when the green dot is showing.

:doh:

Thanks

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Lol the top end 12 core Xeon for the trash can MP can be had for $25

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I bought a dumb thing.

Very clean unit. Single owner (studio). $300 cash. Came with El Cap installed lol. I think as configured it would have cost $9000 new.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Aug 30, 2023

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

I'd use DriveDx to see how much TBW is on that SSD and if it's low, keep it.. if it's high, I'd ditch it and pony up $94 for a 2 TB WD 570 so I'd have comfy room to run a VM or two.. then pick up the $20 NVME adapter, slap it in and run Linux or something else in the VM

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Also it already has the most powerful GPU that Apple offered in there already so that's a plus off the bat.. it's like 75% the speed and VRAM of a 'modern' RX 580 8 GB..

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Binary Badger posted:

I'd use DriveDx to see how much TBW is on that SSD and if it's low, keep it.. if it's high, I'd ditch it and pony up $94 for a 2 TB WD 570 so I'd have comfy room to run a VM or two.. then pick up the $20 NVME adapter, slap it in and run Linux or something else in the VM

TBW is 600x capacity? Then I'm at less than 1%? I wonder what this machine was used for in its previous life.

Not sure I would gain much with newer SSD over the original Apple 1TB. I actually have 2TB 970 EVO Plus' and adapters but they were slated for other machines. Plus I think I'd like to keep this one stock as its already max spec.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Aug 30, 2023

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
This is a silly week for me...

The listing title is a bit mislabelled. They forgot to put 'Pro'. No bids except mine. No idea what GPU it has (praying for 64X). I didn't want to poke the seller and potentially get the listing revised.

edit: that's like the most I've paid for a computer since maybe my first pentium1 PC from 1997.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Aug 30, 2023

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
:stare: what on earth

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
ok so show off the rest of ur macseum now

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

So, uh

1) what’s with the old Intel Mac purchases?

2) it’s a little worrisome that even the stock image appears wrong.

Edit: Yeah, that looks like a 2015 iMac with El Capitan background. Wtf

Canned Sunshine fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Aug 30, 2023

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
lmao Mac Thread continues to deliver

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

mediaphage posted:

ok so show off the rest of ur macseum now

We have Mac Studio at home.

I have too much old Macs. Not all together for a photo tho. Everything I have has been SSD swapped unless it came from the factory with SSD.

G3
G4 MDD (maxed)
G4 MDD (maxed, with rack mount!)
G5 (maxed 2 CPU)
G5 (maxed 4 CPU)
Intel MP x4 dumpster dived no idea spec I haven't had time to clean them up yet
iMac 27 late 2013 (maxed)
iMac 27 late 2015 x2 (maxed)
iMac Pro (maxed? will find out!)
Trashcan (maxed)

MBP 15" late 2008 (maxed w/USB 3)
MBP 17" mid 2009 (maxed, dosdude1 repaired/reflowed board)
MBP 15" mid 2012 (maxed)
MBP 13" mid 2012 (maxed, dosdude1 quad core modded)

MBP 15" mid 2015 x2 (i7s)

24" thunderbolt display (dumpster)
27" thunderbolt display
30" Cinema Display (dumpster)

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Shaocaholica posted:

I have too much old Macs. Not all together for a photo tho. Everything I have has been SSD swapped unless it came from the factory with SSD.

G3
G4 MDD (maxed)
G5 (maxed 2 CPU)
G5 (maxed 4 CPU)
Trashcan (maxed)

MBP 15" mid 2012 (maxed)

27" thunderbolt display

ok i was gonna roast you but that is a loving gorgeous mac studio

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I don't care how bad it is.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Mmtb

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Shaocaholica posted:

G3
G4 MDD (maxed)
G5 (maxed 2 CPU)
G5 (maxed 4 CPU)
Trashcan (maxed)

MBP 15" mid 2012 (maxed)

27" thunderbolt display

It can’t run a 5k Apple display can it?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Trashcan can drive 3x 5k ‘dual cable’ displays which I think are all 3rd party.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

LionArcher posted:

It can’t run a 5k Apple display can it?

I’m sure dude found one of those in the dumpster too just left it off the list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Yes, but it requires some workarounds: mainly, you have to get an eGPU connected to it, and then from there it opens a few options, with the best route being to use either a DP - to - USB-C bidirectional cable (if just wanting video) or the special DisplayPort+ USB - to - USB-C cables that can let you have video+audio/webcam.