Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Neo Rasa posted:

The Rock being the villain of the Doom movie was basically the only good thing about it.

He did well as a scary killer in Faster. As did Jason Momoa in Bullet to the Head, they could have done more villain stuff but I guess there is way more big roles for charismatic leads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

morestuff posted:

Looking over Arnold’s filmography I just found out he starred in a passion project Reign Over Me-style sad widow movie co-produced by Darren Aronofsky and co-starring Scoot McNairy. Anyone seen Aftermath? Doesn’t look actiony but it looks at least interesting given the current conversation

Aftermath was pretty solid honestly. There was a very brief period where it looked like he was going to try to be a more serious actor. It didn't last

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Neo Rasa posted:

The Rock being the villain of the Doom movie was basically the only good thing about it.
Karl Urban showing that he had the chops to actually star in a movie was the best part of it. The Rock could not have carried it nearly as well as he did.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

CeeJee posted:

He did well as a scary killer in Faster. As did Jason Momoa in Bullet to the Head, they could have done more villain stuff but I guess there is way more big roles for charismatic leads.

isn't momoa as the bad guy supposed to be the best part of the new fast and furious movie?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

WoodrowSkillson posted:

isn't momoa as the bad guy supposed to be the best part of the new fast and furious movie?

I understand why people said that but ehhhhh I wasn't a huge fan of what Momoa was doing. It felt like he just mashed together a bunch of performances that have already been done(Ledgers Joker, Depp's Jack Sparrow. Bardem's Silva), it felt like a very derivative performance.

That said yea he was the new thing that made it not exactly the same poo poo they've done now for like 3 straight movies, so you definitely need his character in there. If you couldn't tell I didn't really enjoy the movie overall.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

His villain take did seem a bit too Joker-ish but I thought it was good because Momoa was having fun. Just like Joker going up against Batman, if the main hero in this post-Brian era of the franchise is only going to be the serious and saccharine Dom then the villain better bring some panache and flair.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I like Momoa just fine but he's much better in deadpan than going big. I'd rather see him do the charming and confident thing than trying to score on every line. Dune uses him perfectly

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I'm still sad Momoa got such a dogshit Conan movie. As bad as that movie was, he's a really good Conan and deserved better.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MacheteZombie posted:

When's the last time the rock power bombed or rock bottomed someone in a fight? Ff5?

He does a Rock Bottom in Furious 7, a spinebuster in Hobbs & Shaw and a Doomsday Device in Fast & Furious 6.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQw4C4D4zok

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Snowman_McK posted:

I'm still sad Momoa got such a dogshit Conan movie. As bad as that movie was, he's a really good Conan and deserved better.

Truth, the cast in general was really fun and do their best, but it's a huge red flag if you have Ron Pearlman in your movie and it feels like Ben Kingsley popping up in a random DTV action movie.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Honestly didn't hate the Momoa Conan movie. It's lacking, but not utterly dire. Like the last Witch Hunter which is just Vin being himself but with a sword and trying to style on everyone.

Also surprised no one has even mentioned Babylon AD when it comes to Vin Diesel movies. Now that one was bad.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Cooked Auto posted:

Honestly didn't hate the Momoa Conan movie. It's lacking, but not utterly dire. Like the last Witch Hunter which is just Vin being himself but with a sword and trying to style on everyone.

Also surprised no one has even mentioned Babylon AD when it comes to Vin Diesel movies. Now that one was bad.

You're right, actually. Momoa's Conan movie wasn't bad. It was fine if a little forgettable and narratively unfocused. The Arnie one (there's only one, shut up) is one of my absolute favourites and they found one of the few guys who's right for the character for the revival. You imagine what could have been and weep a little.

The Last Witch Hunter would be a good film to teach a film writing class. There's a fair bit of fun stuff, but it never really establishes the normality of the world. What's the status quo at the beginning? That's never clear before things start getting weird, before that status quo is disrupted. I'd contrast it with Constantine, which puts a lot of work into establishing what's normal for the main character (though insane for everyone else) compared to what's weird even to him. The director spent a lot of time on one of the commentary tracks explaining he worked on making sure that the audience would always get which was which. The difference is stark since they're centered on the same kind of leading character )the tough guy who's seen it all and to whom this magical world is just a day job) and run on the same plot (someone or something is breaking the established rules of this secret magical world)

Babylon AD has a good soundtrack and the scenes where Diesel's character is surprisingly good at cooking. There is literally nothing else memorable or good about them.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
The momoa Conan spends the first 20 minutes refusing to deliver the goods (Momoa). Just an insane choice to spend so much time on the kid. By the end I was bored out of my skull but he had great energy and charisma throughout it. Rachel Nichols looked like she didn't want to be there whatsoever

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

(there's only one, shut up)

The second one is fine if you view it as a D&D campaign.
Now Red Sonja otoh, now that one is a real snoozefest.

Snowman_McK posted:

Babylon AD has a good soundtrack and the scenes where Diesel's character is surprisingly good at cooking. There is literally nothing else memorable or good about them.

All I remember is that I once saw it, and there maybe was some slow down parts with Vin narrating.
(As was in style at the time.)

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Snowman_McK posted:

The only thing I remember clearly is the high speed train with people carrying goats and chickens which was a neat visual bit of worldbuilding.

Looking at it now that was one solid cast, shame it was such a mess.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
For me the Rock clearly has his good times and his bad times

From the Mummy Returns through Gridiron Gang, I’d say that he was testing the waters as an actor star - and made some pretty enjoyable movies. To me - it feels like the Rock wants to be a mixture of Tom Cruise and Arnold, but he’s not as good as either.

He should honesty stick to kids movies like Jumanji, Moana, Tooth Fairy - his charisma shows and he can be physical without having to be talented.

But all he has coming is sequels or remakes so I guess there’s that.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I think he met is peak and can’t get past it and everyone is starting to see it. He’s a good actor at what he does but he rarely plays anything other than The Rock.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

The Rock needs to start working with better people and listen to their advice and direction. It's been said multiple times now that Arnold's success in no small part happened because he worked with top tier talent, and he didn't mandate an 80% win rate or get catty with his co-stars. No offense to Justin Lin, but he's no James Cameron. Neither are the directors of Black Adam and red Notice, I assume. I don't know for sure because who could give a gently caress who directed those turds. Rock needs to pick better projects helmed by better directors, and quite ironically he is the one who needs to learn to know his role and shut his mouth.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
The Rock needs to actually take some chances, all his movies are pretty much written by focus groups right now.

Bautista is a wrestler who is doing it right, he actually started by taking tons of acting lessons and has really worked to not get typecast despite looking how he does )

He also shows up in smaller roles in action movies, he was awesome in Master Z (spin off of the Ip Man movies)

B-Rock452 fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Aug 27, 2023

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

B-Rock452 posted:

The Rock needs to actually take some chances, all his movies are pretty much written by focus groups right now.

Bautista is a wrestler who is doing it right, he actually started by taking tons of acting lessons and has really worked to not get typecast despite looking how he does )

He also shows up in smaller roles in action movies, he was awesome in Master Z (spin off of the Ip Man movies)

Man With the Iron Fists was crazy uneven but by god, Batista really delivered an anime badass come to life with his performance.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

To tie the knot together topically it's nice that Bautista isn't just taking the Disney money and is more or less content with that, unlike Vin.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
It's been said/implied; The Rock is far too glossy and brand conscious to be in anything gritty enough to change his trajectory. I can't recall seeing him in anything with true chemistry or "oh poo poo!!!" moments. It's all far too safe to be interesting. You could almost take his character from any of his movies, drop it in another and barely even notice.

This article comes to mind : https://bloodknife.com/everyone-beautiful-no-one-horny/

What I have been enjoying recently and feels a little unsung (or I missed the hype) is the TV adaption of Preacher. It puts Sandman to utter loving shame. I'm a long time fan of Ennis since his run writing Judge Dredd in 90s 2000 AD - show does a great job of leveraging his style and humour. The action is sparse, but when it hits it's well executed and *crunchy*

midge fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Aug 27, 2023

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Pathaan rules! Thanks to the goon who mentioned it a while back. Just goes down so smooth, so much triumphant spy action movie madness. So good.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

batista rules and seeing him do more serious stuff is dope and im glad he is getting chances

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

midge posted:

It's been said/implied; The Rock is far too glossy and brand conscious to be in anything gritty enough to change his trajectory. I can't recall seeing him in anything with true chemistry or "oh poo poo!!!" moments. It's all far too safe to be interesting. You could almost take his character from any of his movies, drop it in another and barely even notice.

This article comes to mind : https://bloodknife.com/everyone-beautiful-no-one-horny/

What I have been enjoying recently and feels a little unsung (or I missed the hype) is the TV adaption of Preacher. It puts Sandman to utter loving shame. I'm a long time fan of Ennis since his run writing Judge Dredd in 90s 2000 AD - show does a great job of leveraging his style and humour. The action is sparse, but when it hits it's well executed and *crunchy*

Preacher is the ultimate Dad show and very good

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I don’t know how Preacher got as many seasons as it did but it was good poo poo while it was on.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Oh I mixed Reacher and Preacher up in my dumbass brain, nevermind

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

WoodrowSkillson posted:

batista rules and seeing him do more serious stuff is dope and im glad he is getting chances

I was really hoping he was revealed to be Blofeld in Spectre, hiding in plain sight as the dumb muscle.

Rollos
Aug 11, 2007

Hold on, won't be long
Dredd3D>>>>TheRaid2>TheRaid
If you're going to do a movie like this ham it up baby. Dredd3D has more worldbuilding and action right off the bat. Slowmo just a plus.

Rollos fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Sep 4, 2023

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

WoodrowSkillson posted:

He's doing all these different roles because he's scared that Hollywood casting agents are going to suddenly notice that he's actually a guy in his 50s and then they won't want to cast him in anything, so he's just trying to do as many cool things as possible. It's also why he keeps asking advice of basically everyone he works with, man just wants to learn.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

MrBling posted:

He's doing all these different roles because he's scared that Hollywood casting agents are going to suddenly notice that he's actually a guy in his 50s and then they won't want to cast him in anything, so he's just trying to do as many cool things as possible. It's also why he keeps asking advice of basically everyone he works with, man just wants to learn.

The age comment is weird, he's not a woman so traditionally doesn't have to worry about age. If anything, he gets more grizzled with age and will have even more roles where he wears tiny glasses, he is slowly maturing into an Oscar role.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's less about age and more just about the fact that Batista realized pretty early on that he wasn't gonna be an A-list star. I'm sure if you asked Batista if he'd like to star in bland action movies for 8 figure salaries, he would've been very happy to do that. It's just that those roles really weren't there for him the same way they have been for The Rock, so he's carved out an acting career the way a lot of actors do who aren't always going to get top billing or have their name on the top of the poster. And he deserves huge credit for being able to do that, he's shown a lot more acting talent than The Rock has in the process, but The Rock has certainly been more "successful" just in financial terms.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Grendels Dad posted:

The age comment is weird, he's not a woman so traditionally doesn't have to worry about age. If anything, he gets more grizzled with age and will have even more roles where he wears tiny glasses, he is slowly maturing into an Oscar role.

That's just what he has been saying in interviews, but I guess its because he thinks they just see him as a big muscle guy and there is sort of an expiration date on how long you can keep being that size.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

midge posted:

It definitely did its own thing. But felt like set limitations bounded what was obviously a Travelodge type show to one location, to its immense detriment.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

MrBling posted:

That's just what he has been saying in interviews, but I guess its because he thinks they just see him as a big muscle guy and there is sort of an expiration date on how long you can keep being that size.

Yea I know he's said that specifically about his Guardians character at least. It's been tougher and tougher to get into the shape he feels like he needs to be in to be Huge Muscle Guy, and at a certain point he knew he just wouldn't be able to do it anymore. The costuming on the character has evolved too where they have him wearing a shirt more and more often until the most recent movie where I'm pretty sure he didn't take his shirt off for the entire movie.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

MrBling posted:

Yeah I can see that. I think I mentioned The Man with the Iron Fists upthread, Batista owns in that but I can see him not wanting or being able to maintain that kind of physique past a certain age.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

midge posted:

Preacher shouldn't work, since the comic is an intensely 90s thing. However, it understands that an adaptation needs to actually adapt its source material. It set the blueprint for the Boys, which is also a very smart adaptation. You look at the whole, finished story and adapt the bits and pieces that work, remix them as necessary, dispense with what doesn't, change things around the play to the strength of your medium and your actors...and it works pretty drat well. Dominic Cooper isn't comic book Jessie, but he isn't trying to be.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Rollos posted:

Dredd3D>>>>TheRaid2>TheRaid
If you're going to do a movie like this ham it up baby. Dredd3D has more worldbuiltin and action right off the bat. Slowmo just a plus.
I agree that Dredd's style and hamminess makes it fun and stand out in terms of The Raid but imo The Raid 2 trying for that sorta stuff is why it failed (not overall as an action film, just comparatively) for me. Like the baseball/hammer pair weren't just silly, their fights just weren't near as cool as the original for me.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Like give me literally any fight in The Raid over this poo poo. The gently caress am I watching, Joe Carnahan?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuDmmAmk9NU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
With the dearth of quality action movies, beggars can't be choosers and all those movies are great!