Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.

binge crotching posted:

I have 15 points from logging in 3 times so it's not something I'm going to get any time soon, but if you do get one of those legendary jump start boxes, what else do you need to then make it?

The entire gift of mastery (gift of battle, gift of exploration, 250 obsidian shards, 200 spirit shards) and the rest of the gift of fortune (whichever of gift of might or gift of magic it doesn't give you, 77 mystic clovers, 250 ecto)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Guest2553 posted:

I have an alt core-only account I'd like to use to make a legendary for my main but am not really looking forward to gifts of battle and exploration. Are there enough others like that out there who'd be interested in setting up a group to chip away at it?

Gift of battle isn't that bad to knock out, just have to complete a reward track. If you join the goon wvw group that runs twice a week (last I knew), you should get it pretty quickly

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I am 1 gift of battle away from having the Bifrost.

Just incredible. Wizard vault A+ #1.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
So the legendary starter kit saves you the cost of a precursor (100-200g) gift of [insert legendary weapon] (100g of icy runestones and 70g of misc) and a gift of might or magic (200g)

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Yeah, I already have a couple gifts of exploration and all the other necessary mats. It had made this process far less intimidating.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
I'm annoyed that I started the Bifrost collection a while ago, so I'd be wasting a lot of that progress by getting the starter kit. I already have HOPE and Shining Blade, so not a ton of value in getting Quip or Bolt. I guess I can get Meteorlogicus, though it doesn't match any of my characters' aesthetics, and I don't use scepter much.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

And here I was thinking the alternate Skyscale obtainment would be easy

DoNotFeedTheBear
Sep 13, 2007

Meowywitch posted:

And here I was thinking the alternate Skyscale obtainment would be easy

It's a lot easier (and faster) than the original

DoNotFeedTheBear
Sep 13, 2007
Making the Valdhertz dungeon part of the daily is so stupid. Twice bugged, and then third time too many players to get credit for final chest (even though I did at least one of every part).

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
It's especially dumb when the weekly system (you can get the bonus reward without completing each individual item) is right goddamn there.

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
This new daily rewards seem a little better if you're playing through content but it's a lot worse if you're not. The old system was good in that the reward for simply logging in was good enough even if you weren't planning a real play session to be worth the tiny effort, and often the daily gold reward was easy so I'd stick around for that. And then maybe while I did that some goons in guild started fracs or wvw so I'd join, and thus play a lot more. It was a low stakes casual approach to hook me in. Now the reward for simply logging in is so minimal it's not worth booting up the old potato for.

This is probably healthier IRL, won't casually waste time and will only play if I'm intentionally doing content. Thanks, Anet. Sincerely.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
There are few players remaining on the map! Would you like to switch to a new instance with more players?

* clicks yes *

There are few players remaining on the map! Would you like to switch to a new instance with more players?????

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

FlapYoJacks posted:

There are few players remaining on the map! Would you like to switch to a new instance with more players?

* clicks yes *

There are few players remaining on the map! Would you like to switch to a new instance with more players?????

Path of Fire flashbacks

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Dailies are not very friendly to newbies in some respects

It wants me to go do things in Cantha but cmon I'm busy with gestures wildly

DonVincenzo
Nov 12, 2010

Super Monster
The Absolute Guardian of the Universe
Friend of All Children
Doesn't help that the mini-dungeon is bugged.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Outside of setpiece bosses, when was the last time they added new enemy types with new animations and models? HoT and PoF had whole ecosystems of new enemies, but icebrood saga had those wrestling move ice golems and a ton of charr, EoD had mechs and a ton of humans, everything else reused animations and models, I'm still early in SotO but I'm recognizing every old animation and model from as far back as HoT and Orr in these enemies.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
There's plenty of new enemy models in Soto. There's sort of some new attacks I guess, but they're not massively consequential.

EoD added the hoovers, which I like as a mechanic

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

DonVincenzo posted:

Doesn't help that the mini-dungeon is bugged.

I tried literally 10 times. Bugged out each time.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
After thinking about it, SotO is a mixed yet optimistic bag:

Pros:

-Easy Skyscale Acquisition
-Wizard's Vault
-Story/Narrative/Lore
-New Likable Characters
-Weapons for each spec
-On-Demand Events (Rifts) with no DR
-New maps that are vertical in a fun way for once!

Cons:

-Relic system being incomplete on launch
-Daily system being too restrictive (let us choose between all 12 dailies but with Acclaim capped at 40/day, please!)
-Lots of bugs at launch, even by Anet standards
-Strike missions are as easy as IBS ones, whereas EOD NM strikes were at least a bit challenging
-Metas are also a bit too easy, and the Amnytas one ends with you pressing 2 over and over again, similar to Zhaitan's "fight"
-Nothing for veteran players to work for until 6 months from now
-Was expecting Afflicted-levels of enemy models for the Kryptis, might be a rating issue, idk

Some of these are more minor gripes than actual issues. Bugs are being hot-fixed pretty quickly, thankfully. And since this expansion is meant to bring new players in, the difficulty scaling might be adjusted for them.

With the new release schedule being every 3 months, we no longer have a content drought. Instead, we have a content drip. Not a lot of stuff every three months, but makes the wait between expacs more bearable. This is also likely the best they can do seeing as how they are definitely working on another game atm.

All in all, a harmless and welcoming expac.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
I think you can open one of the minor chests for each event you participate in, and that's enough for the daily. I caught the last event and was able to get a chest, but I had to try all of them before finding one that opened.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Why anet, why every single time I fly over one?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

My Weaver is getting huge :)

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
If you are looking for exp to fill out the masteries quickly pop a bunch of exp increasers and go hunt random idle enemies around Droknar's forge, they tend to be out of the way of other people killing them and are in groups of 3 at a minimum, the exp is pretty good.

Residual Toast
Nov 19, 2007
The Toast with the Most

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

If you are looking for exp to fill out the masteries quickly pop a bunch of exp increasers and go hunt random idle enemies around Droknar's forge, they tend to be out of the way of other people killing them and are in groups of 3 at a minimum, the exp is pretty good.

yeah there's a weird obtuse mechanic where enemies accrue xp the longer they're alive, so killing random yellow (unaggro) enemies can often give you a big boost since they're often alive a long time.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

For anybody not yet 80 (or who is still maxing out core masteries), the adventure guide gives mad xp. I knocked out lvl 70-80 in less than an hour doing stuff like "view 3 vistas", "craft an item", and "dye something".

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I dream of head pieces being split between hat and face. There's a hundred costumes I want to make but it's limited.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
The xp doesn't take too long to get, even without boosters. I am more worried about mastery points, many seem to come from what seems like quite annoying achievements.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

dailies reset before i saw teh cog to change, so im cursed to another week of crap.

i think ill be logging in for leyline and logging out for a week

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Weeeeeeee

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO
grats!

DoNotFeedTheBear
Sep 13, 2007
Nice!!

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
congrat, very nice, best legendary :v:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Flipping around with it as Daredevil is eye-searing, which is to say, perfect.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST
Pistol Scourge feels oh-so-good, monsters are just melting away and the AOE damage is nuts. They definitely didn't tune this before releasing it, and I'm all about it. Just please don't nerf Scourge horribly again, Anet.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

Jedah posted:

Pistol Scourge feels oh-so-good, monsters are just melting away and the AOE damage is nuts. They definitely didn't tune this before releasing it, and I'm all about it. Just please don't nerf Scourge horribly again, Anet.

You have a build you can share for this? I'm trying to start using my Necro some and haven't used it since HoT so I have no idea what I'm doing.

VV Thanks!! VV

SweetJahasus fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Aug 29, 2023

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

SweetJahasus posted:

You have a build you can share for this? I'm trying to start using my Necro some and haven't used it since HoT so I have no idea what I'm doing.

Sure! Snow Crows recently updated some of their builds, here's the Condition Scourge - that's the build I've been following. Just melts everything, I think it's benching at like 49k, which is absurd.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
It is kinda nutty how much faster and consistent just setting all dailies/weeklies to PvE is compared to any pvp/wvw dailies and not having to rely on the variance of other people like pvp/wvw to get done and at least half of the pve weeklies you'd end up getting done in WvW anyway by just killing enemies or dodging hits or using combo fields.

For my dailies today, I got to chop 15 wood, kill 10 enemies and do 1 event in heart of thorns, killing pocket raptors, a treasure mushroom and chopping wood in orr would get those dailies done in under 5 minutes.

I also miss the potions of reward tracks from pvp/wvw.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Aug 29, 2023

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Having to decide whether I want to play pve or WvW or PvP the day before is so dumb

It’s such a dumb decision that I’m sure it won’t get changed for a long time if ever

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Zojja is awesome

I feel really bad about how much the game wants to break her

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

whydirt posted:

Having to decide whether I want to play pve or WvW or PvP the day before is so dumb

It’s such a dumb decision that I’m sure it won’t get changed for a long time if ever

It’s still got nine weeks to be changed before the Spontaneous ArenaNet Amnesia/Employee Turnover Critical Mass hits and the feature ceases to exist in terms of support.