Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

also a sex pest but drat that joke is just too good

e: in RE: Bob Barker, what an unfortunate page snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

holy drat that show is just outright cursed ever since Drew Carey took over the producers have been (not that one) Michael Richards and (not that one) Adam Sandler

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

A.o.D. posted:

He lived as close as possible to 100 without going over.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hwz8vlZUL4E

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Seals gonna seal

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
https://www.stuff.co.nz/world/australia/300958777/three-dead-after-us-military-aircraft-crashes-off-darwin

Ospreys gonna Osprey

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

It truly lives on the souls of dead Marines.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Don’t they have an exceptional safety record by helicopter standards?

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Not a good weekend for marine air:
https://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/your-marine-corps/2023/08/26/marine-major-identified-as-pilot-who-died-in-california-fa-18-crash/

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

hobbesmaster posted:

Don’t they have an exceptional safety record by helicopter standards?

It's not particularly good, it's just also not particularly bad. It's got a fairly average mishap rate compared to other aircraft, but once people get a good Narrative in their heads it's drat near impossible to dislodge it with facts.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

The V-22's safety record is the 3.6 roentgen of aviation, they randomly crash more than fixed wing aircraft but it could be worse they could crash as much as helicopters.

You can also carry more people in a V-22 I believe.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

It's better than the Hueys I rode in when I went to Afghanistan.

Jimmy Smuts fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Aug 28, 2023

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

orange juche posted:

The V-22's safety record is the 3.6 roentgen of aviation, they randomly crash more than fixed wing aircraft but it could be worse they could crash as much as helicopters.

You can also carry more people in a V-22 I believe.

Chinook and Super Stallion can carry more equipped Marines and has better load capacity.

V-22s party trick is it's speed in fixed wing flight and range

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Yeah, no helicopter can match the range of a V22 because in fixed wing mode they're using the wing to generate lift instead of the proprotors.

Still, they are inhabited by the same angry machine god that inhabits all helicopters.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

In my previous career, I was interviewing for a data analyst job at Bell Helicopter in DFW. I joked about not dying when I flew on the MV-22 from the ship to Djibouti. I did not get the position. I even had a second interview because the older guy said one person really liked me and one really hated me; that really confused me for a long time.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

orange juche posted:

Yeah, no helicopter can match the range of a V22 because in fixed wing mode they're using the wing to generate lift instead of the proprotors.

Still, they are inhabited by the same angry machine god that inhabits all helicopters.

Also they cannot do autorotation as a crash recovery method as far as I am aware.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

Also they cannot do autorotation as a crash recovery method as far as I am aware.

I think autorotation would only be only be applicable in phases of flight that would be “red” on a helicopter too?

You have to glide. I found this article:

quote:

The glide ratio of the Osprey is about 4.5 to 1 and the rate of descent while windmilling is about 3,500 feet a minute at 170 KCAS. Landing speeds vary with aircraft weight, but a middle-of-the-envelope speed is 130 KCAS. Unfortunately, the proprotors will definitely impact the ground, and converting the nacelles is not recommended. A safety design feature of the proprotors, however, is for them to broomstraw and throw the resulting fibers away from the fuselage to minimize damage to the occupants. Unfortunately, this characteristic has been tested in accidents; fortunately, it works as advertised.

4.5:1 incidentally is the space shuttle orbiter’s subsonic glide ratio.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

quote:

A safety design feature of the proprotors, however, is for them to broomstraw and throw the resulting fibers away from the fuselage to minimize damage to the occupants. Unfortunately, this characteristic has been tested in accidents; fortunately, it works as advertised.

Ah, a compliment sandwich.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

A flying brick then.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

hobbesmaster posted:

I think autorotation would only be only be applicable in phases of flight that would be “red” on a helicopter too?

You have to glide. I found this article:

the shuttle didn't glide as much as fall not quite at terminal velocity

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Like until the past couple years IIRC most of the Osprey death toll comes from the Corps getting all gung ho and shoving full loads into early prototypes despite being warned it was a bad idea. Two or three crashes later and the bird got a reputation it couldn't shake despite being demonstrably safer statistically than a 46 or a Blackhawk.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ded posted:

the shuttle didn't glide as much as fall not quite at terminal velocity

Since we’re talking about helicopters…

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Not being able to blast Voodoo Child while dangling out side doors is the sort of bad reputation that sticks with an aircraft for life.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
In completely unrelated cool poo poo, the moon probe that Japan and the US keep trying to launch has an experiment that operates .05C above absolute zero.

Pun intended.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
There’s a hurricane brewing in the Gulf of Mexico.

https://twitter.com/NHC_Atlantic/status/1696090973372358812

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Go away you stupid storm. I'm sick of these drat things

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Platystemon posted:

There’s a hurricane brewing in the Gulf of Mexico.

https://twitter.com/NHC_Atlantic/status/1696090973372358812

I was watching the weather last night and the meteorologist said Idalia was forecast to be a cat 1 or cat 2. Then he said essentially "none of the models really show this right now, but it it keeps moving so slowly there's a chance the unprecedented heat in the gulf could get us to cat 4 or 5".

e: There is also a storm in the Atlantic that will hit cat 4. I won't come anywhere close to landfall but it will likely cause dangerous waves and swells along the east coast up through NC. So if you have a beach vacation planned be careful about that.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Between DeSantis DeSantis-ing all over the state for years and insurance companies noping the gently caress out en masse, one big hurricane at just the wrong spot could be very, very bad for a lot of people basically forever. I have images in my head of the still basically abandoned parts of New Orleans, on steroids.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

bird food bathtub posted:

Between DeSantis DeSantis-ing all over the state for years and insurance companies noping the gently caress out en masse, one big hurricane at just the wrong spot could be very, very bad for a lot of people basically forever. I have images in my head of the still basically abandoned parts of New Orleans, on steroids.

Which parts are those?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

bird food bathtub posted:

Last year, Ian sure looked like it was going to hit Tampa.

In the end, the city was spared a direct hit, but Ian was still the deadliest hurricane in the state since the 1935 Labor Day Hurricane, and it caused over hundred billion dollars in property damage, making it probably the third worst after Katrina and Harvey. Maria was a pretty close fourth.

When even the “worst case averted” storms are that bad, I shudder to think of what could be.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
i see a lot of discrete weather events get chocked up to ~the impact of climate change~ and it always drives me kind of crazy, like, no climate change is not an out of the ordinary rain storm. what is loving wild though is looking at year-to-year surface level temperature anomaly maps of the gulf of Mexico and the Caribbean. as long as it keeps getting that warm, florida and the entire gulf coast is going to keep getting hammered by just wildly strong storms, and particularly ones that intensify extremely rapidly. there's just so much energy available for the storms to tap into these days, it's scary how fast they're intensifying now that regional ocean temperatures are consistently higher

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Idalia, you've rained on my glorious parade. For this, I'm sending everything I've got at you. But I won't let you have the satisfaction of catching me. I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by capitalism weather:

SPACE!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Soylent Pudding posted:

I was watching the weather last night and the meteorologist said Idalia was forecast to be a cat 1 or cat 2. Then he said essentially "none of the models really show this right now, but it it keeps moving so slowly there's a chance the unprecedented heat in the gulf could get us to cat 4 or 5".

e: There is also a storm in the Atlantic that will hit cat 4. I won't come anywhere close to landfall but it will likely cause dangerous waves and swells along the east coast up through NC. So if you have a beach vacation planned be careful about that.

As of the 7 am update, it's going to be a major hurricane at landfall, so, yeah, gonna strengthen a lot. It's already a hurricane and hasn't passed Cuba yet. Tampa Bay is going to be on the windward side or a direct recipient of an eyewall. So much for the republican plan to fix our homeowners insurance rates by avoiding a major hurricane for a few years.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

:ussr:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Herstory Begins Now posted:

i see a lot of discrete weather events get chocked up to ~the impact of climate change~ and it always drives me kind of crazy, like, no climate change is not an out of the ordinary rain storm

"wow that's a big storm, climate change is here" isn't too far off from "it's cold today, so much for global warming"

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Mr. Nice! posted:

As of the 7 am update, it's going to be a major hurricane at landfall, so, yeah, gonna strengthen a lot. It's already a hurricane and hasn't passed Cuba yet. Tampa Bay is going to be on the windward side or a direct recipient of an eyewall. So much for the republican plan to fix our homeowners insurance rates by avoiding a major hurricane for a few years.

it was a stupid loving plan but you did kinda hope we'd luck out even if it meant they would. It's just so loving hot. I don't think we've had any days below 90 this summer. Bone dry too, surprised few (any?) fires

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Cugel the Clever posted:

Idalia, you've rained on my glorious parade. For this, I'm sending everything I've got at you. But I won't let you have the satisfaction of catching me. I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by capitalism weather:

SPACE!

https://www.weather.gov/phi/spacewx

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Milo and POTUS posted:

it was a stupid loving plan but you did kinda hope we'd luck out even if it meant they would. It's just so loving hot. I don't think we've had any days below 90 this summer. Bone dry too, surprised few (any?) fires

It's a stupid plan because there is no plan. DeSantis doesn't give a gently caress about Florida because he can't get re-elected. He doesn't care if anyone has home owner's insurance because he knows that the feds will come in and provide support when the state is unable to.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yeah that's kind of what I was getting at. Going to bed with 'cat 1, maybe cat 2" as the official forecast and then waking up and seeing a major hurricane was some whiplash even though I was warned to be prepared for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Soylent Pudding posted:

Yeah that's kind of what I was getting at. Going to bed with 'cat 1, maybe cat 2" as the official forecast and then waking up and seeing a major hurricane was some whiplash even though I was warned to be prepared for it.

Turns out a hot temp gulf of mexico is really good at supercharging storms.