Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
New page? Have some Ballard Street!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

uhh what the hell? are they even dating?

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Steeple 17: Hell on Wheels Part 2

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Steeple website

John Allison posted:

I think this is a friendship for the ages, Steeple is not just a comic about lewd themes as my friend Marc Ellerby claims, it’s about getting along.

Four pages this week as Hell on Wheels concludes.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
It's A Sketchy Life for August 25, 1927! We open with a double shot (and at least one unfortunate recontextualization) from Bruce Bairnsfather.

Just for the novelty of things, another Fred G. Cooper piece that doesn't take up an entire page.

A lovely piece with a perfectly illegible signature:

Johnny Gruelle:

Frank Hanley:

Jack Farr:

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Here's a week of '98 Mary Worth. I've intended to post this a couple times a week but keep forgetting to. Let's see what happens this week!

His name is Warwick Davis, thank you.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Well thank god literally all of that happened off-screen. I don't know if I could have handled the excitement.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Bogor

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

manero posted:

I have never heard this usage before, I thought I was having a stroke while reading Crankshaft. I usually think I'm having a stroke when I read Crankshaft

Edit: Whoops, it's Crankshaft, not Funky. Ah, what does it matter?
They just merged when Funky closed. It's Funkshaft now. These aren't crankshaft characters (I think) so your mistake is reasonable.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Hostile V posted:

Introducing Mrs. Lee's Roleplay/Cosplay Kink

.... that was actually funny.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Oh thank God.

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (September 24, 2001)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
Krazy Kat(October 7, 1917)

Little Nemo(March 3, 1907)

No OSHA in Slumberland, I see.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Dec. 21, 1958)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Bunfee

Rhymes with Orange

Get Chicken 8/27/03

Brenda Starr 8/5/51

Smokey Stover 7/1/56

Everyday Movies 9/21/36

"I don't hafta work here -- it's justa learn tha business."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 2/1/42

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1943

Pluggers

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
"I'm going to piss people off, on purpose"- Val

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Kennel posting:

Nancy

I Hate My Garbage Son

Dustin is such a loser he watches a 4:3 CRT TV. Or the strip's creative team is old and out-of-touch. One of the two.

Mandrake

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

JethroMcB posted:

I Hate My Garbage Son
Could you even imagine being out till 2:30 in the morning? Are nightclubs even open that late!? :monocle:

We've now definitively established that Dustin is not habitually staying up super late (since he's so tired by 2:30 that he's fallen asleep at the kitchen table) so his constant tiredness during the day is definitely a medical issue.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Murdstone posted:

Here's a week of '98 Mary Worth. I've intended to post this a couple times a week but keep forgetting to. Let's see what happens this week!

I've been enjoying it when you have. I've missed this old art style, and this storyline was pleasantly bonkers.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Surprisingly complex setup today.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

JethroMcB posted:

I Hate My Garbage Son

What the gently caress, did the Dustin writer hear me complaining about Dustin's Undiagnosed Narcolepsy again? Not that they did a very good job.

Tiggum posted:

Could you even imagine being out till 2:30 in the morning? Are nightclubs even open that late!? :monocle:

We've now definitively established that Dustin is not habitually staying up super late (since he's so tired by 2:30 that he's fallen asleep at the kitchen table) so his constant tiredness during the day is definitely a medical issue.
:hmmyes:

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
lol'd at UNG OO OSH

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

JethroMcB posted:

[

Dustin is such a loser he watches a 4:3 CRT TV. Or the strip's creative team is old and out-of-touch. One of the two.

You got a better way to play vintage video game shooters?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "230 - Jucika As A Stewardess"

"231 - Jucika Renovates"

One of the best Jucikas. :allears:

Crab Dad posted:

You got a better way to play vintage video game shooters?

On my modern computer in a remastered port with a high resolution and HD textures. :twisted:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Doomykins posted:

Jucika "230 - Jucika As A Stewardess"

"231 - Jucika Renovates"

One of the best Jucikas. :allears:

On my modern computer in a remastered port with a high resolution and HD textures. :twisted:

Duck hunt just aint the same like that.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (September 6, 1935)

Peanuts (August 30, 1976)

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

This morning is dragging into the afternoon, so we'll do the rest tonight.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft

As much as Crankshaft sucks, Maus is a genuinely incredible comic. It's part an autobiographical comic about Art Spiegelman's contentious relationship with his dad, who is a Holocaust survivor, and part a retelling of his father's memoirs of surviving the Holocaust. Definitely recommended even though it's obviously heavy subject matter.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

As much as Crankshaft sucks, Maus is a genuinely incredible comic. It's part an autobiographical comic about Art Spiegelman's contentious relationship with his dad, who is a Holocaust survivor, and part a retelling of his father's memoirs of surviving the Holocaust. Definitely recommended even though it's obviously heavy subject matter.

Do you think Batiuk actually read Maus or did he just do a quick google on banned books to use for this strip?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

amigolupus posted:

Do you think Batiuk actually read Maus or did he just do a quick google on banned books to use for this strip?

I mean he at least looked up and managed a fair recreation of the cover.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (November 5-8, 2002)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

CzarChasm posted:

I mean he at least looked up and managed a fair recreation of the cover.

Yeah, he did do the work in drawing the covers of the banned books.

On the other hand, I couldn't help but notice most of the books he chose are by older white authors (aside from Beloved, Things Fall Apart, and The Alchemist). You'd think he could have thrown in something more controversial like Gender Queer or hell, even Heather Has Two Mommies. I mean, the current book banning furor is driven mostly by reaction to LGBT books, and that's not represented at all on the table. Several of those books don't even make the ALA's top 100 most-challenged-books list -- like, The Alchemist is banned in Iran but it doesn't seem particularly controversial in the US.

But then, who's surprised that Batiuk would mount the most milquetoast protest possible against book banning?

Selachian fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Aug 28, 2023

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Constanza the Horrible

Zits