Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

R. Guyovich posted:

now that scott hasn't seen has gotten into its groove and sean clements is doing a movie podcast with actual screenwriters there's basically no reason to use blank check for anything except a watchlist or to deepen an already existing parasocial relationship

it has been a zero-insight zone for a long time

Ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Sometimes I don't want deep analysis, I just want them to bring up a movie called The ____ and have David say "this movie asks the question: what if there was a ____?"

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
^This, exactly

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It shouldn't just be that though. Podcast is feeling like they're doing it for a career, there's a lck of joy in it as well as a lack of curiosity towards the films.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Gaius Marius posted:

It shouldn't just be that though. Podcast is feeling like they're doing it for a career, there's a lck of joy in it as well as a lack of curiosity towards the films.

Both Griffin and David have other jobs, and I definitely think they feel joy watching these movies and doing their dumb bits and tangents

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Gaius Marius posted:

I don’t get that feeling at all but ok

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

and I'm David

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

I think some of you forget. This is a podcast about filmographies.Some checks clear and some checks bounce

Babyeee

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
I thought it was about famous people eating burgers.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

This is my favorite podcast about Becker.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Man the Stoker pod is so old they have the news about the Narnia books getting adapted and rebooted, but before Gerwig was attached. Wonder how they're feeling about the adaptions now

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Is stoker good? Debating on skipping that to go to the handmaiden which I also have not watched.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's good, handmaiden is great. You can double back if you want, it's sort of an interesting dead end in his career.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Stoker is good and so is the episode.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

I did not like Stoker

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Fincher announced as the next series. Should be fun.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Very stoked to see that. Maybe Mindhunter on the Patreon?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I wouldn't be totally shocked if Fincher makes an appearance on the pod, he and Sims did a very lengthy sit-down interview a few years back to promote Mank.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

morestuff posted:

I wouldn't be totally shocked if Fincher makes an appearance on the pod, he and Sims did a very lengthy sit-down interview a few years back to promote Mank.

Have they ever had the featured director on an episode?

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Sounds like the next series is one for the ol Mank Bank

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Jose Oquendo posted:

Have they ever had the featured director on an episode?

Chris Weitz sat in on the New Moon commentary, and it really was pretty good.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Listening to the stoker episode, and dang bad Watchmen opinions all around. Emily sounds like film twitter the person.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Nah Watchman is pretty bad

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Didn’t understand the source material is just a boring critique, movies are their own thing. But it’s ok, the boys often have some crazy takes.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Yeah Watchmen the movie is just bad in its own right, no need to compare it to the source material

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

morestuff posted:

Fincher announced as the next series. Should be fun.

And they went with the name Curious Pod of Benjamin Buttcast too.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Fincher's got a real rubberband of a career. Gets his ticket with the sublime Seven, follows it up with The Game a film that is fun but hardly great, then comes out with Fight Club one of the best films from a year of absolute bangers, down again with Panic Room a perfectly okay film, Then Zodiac a film that got snubbed for zero reason and is perhaps his best film, he swings back with Benjamin Button one of the most awful award chasing piles of poo poo I've ever seen, then finally breaks the pattern with Social Network which is good although I find some of the praise unearned. Then it's pretty smooth sailing for him until Mank which despite the protestations of some insane Mankophiles is a movie that simply does not exist.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Agree there, Benjamin button just did not work for me at all. And while Mank looked good, I found it boring and wished I was watching Citizen Kane instead.

It will be fun to rewatch some of these though like seven and social network which I haven’t seen again in full since their release.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Gaius Marius posted:

Fincher's got a real rubberband of a career. Gets his ticket with the sublime Seven, follows it up with The Game a film that is fun but hardly great, then comes out with Fight Club one of the best films from a year of absolute bangers, down again with Panic Room a perfectly okay film, Then Zodiac a film that got snubbed for zero reason and is perhaps his best film, he swings back with Benjamin Button one of the most awful award chasing piles of poo poo I've ever seen, then finally breaks the pattern with Social Network which is good although I find some of the praise unearned. Then it's pretty smooth sailing for him until Mank which despite the protestations of some insane Mankophiles is a movie that simply does not exist.

I wouldn’t say it’s really an up and down career, he is pretty remarkably steady. I haven’t seen Benjamin Button and I would prolly hate it but otherwise he has no bad, or very weird films like a lot of blank check guys. I like the directors with wild up and down swings but Fincher is going to be interesting regardless.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Handmaiden theatrical or extended?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Theatrical is Park's version, they just had him throw together an extended cut because the film was so successful. It also changes around a few structural things the big one is that in the theatrical we know Sookee and the Count are scamming Hideko from the start, but in the extended cut this reveal is saved for later

Human Tornada fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Aug 29, 2023

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Theatrical is the intended viewing experience

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Gaius Marius posted:

Just skipping right over Alien3.

Lmao.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Handmaiden kicks so much rear end. Definitely on my “ten best movies covered on the pod” list

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Trailer for The Killer just dropped, looks great and should line up with the end of the Fincher series.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Handmaiden was fantastic, sad I slept on it.

The ending made me think how many directors might have ended with the ring into the ocean, or at the kiss, or when when the balls are pulled out even. But park goes all the way and makes sure you see a terrible abuse turned into an act of joy.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Hell yeah, I also slept on The Handmaiden until now though I kept meaning to watch it. The best movie I’ve seen in years.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
buttcast

mindhunter on patreon confirmed

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Man Alien 3 is definately better than I remember, it sort of sags a little and the ending sequence felt nonsensical to me with the running but has some really great moments.

Still better than TCCOBB.

Edit: I have seen Se7en roughly a million times... but gently caress it's so good. And it's so much better than Alien 3 and such an authoritative statement of film making its incredible. And it's not even his best Serial Killer film. I most forget how good it is each time I watch it.

The Game is a personal favorite of mine that I can't wait to rewatch.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Sep 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

da finchman