Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

There are plenty of tattoo shops and artists around. Hoping to go there someday and get some Horimitsu work, myself!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
https://www.horisoh.com/

I happened to find this tattoo shop in Tokyo because it's down the street from the place I'm going to be staying for the first two weeks of September.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:

my cat is norris posted:

There are plenty of tattoo shops and artists around. Hoping to go there someday and get some Horimitsu work, myself!

:hmmyes: wanna join that 1000 tiger club.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

One of my buddies is a tattoo artist in Tokyo... a large chunk of his clients are foreigners.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Gaga goes to Miyagino for dinner. Hakuoho does a great Hakuho impression:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmWQJHKI7jM

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

The September banzuke is out: https://www.sumo.or.jp/EnHonbashoBanzuke/index/

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Elissimpark posted:

Gaga goes to Miyagino for dinner. Hakuoho does a great Hakuho impression:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmWQJHKI7jM

His weight loss still blows me away

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Hakuoho at M9 and Gonoyama at M5! Sheesh, the youngins are already in striking range of sanyaku.

Seeing WTK in Juryo breaks my heart.

Pretty reasonable banzuke, not many surprises. September’s gonna be good.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Komusubi Nishikigi, everyone get on board the hype train!!!

I also see free fantasy sumo points in M11 Mitakeumi unless he has some injuries.

M1-5 is stacked and completely unpredictable, except that Gonoyama is going to get worked right on back to reality.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Don't forget Shonannoumi, he's jumped right to M5w too

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
the upper echelons are so loving stacked. new blood surging. sumo is good.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Top of the card is gonna be an absolute nightmare. I am so excited to see who's able to start making pushes for the upper spots.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Tasting History's Max Miller does a deep dive into chanko nabe.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

So far it's unconfirmed if Terunofuji will compete in September, right? Chris Sumo seemed to think he'd have one last hurrah in November and bow out if I recall correctly.

If there's no active yokozuna, who does the dohyo-iri? No one? I'm mostly asking because I'm going in September and I'd hate to miss it.

Edit: I probably should have done this before, but I looked it up and I guess dohyo-iri is a more general term for the ceremony that happens when the juyro and makuuchi enter the ring, but the yokozuna get their own special entrance? Will be a bummer if I don't get to see Teru's anyway.

Nativity In Black fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Aug 29, 2023

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah IIRC it’s absolutely correct to refer to both as a dohyo-iri, the Yokozuna just does it separately with his assistants. So yeah, I actually don’t remember what happens if there’s no Yokozuna competing — presumbly there isn’t a yokozuna dohyo-iri ceremony for the obvious reason, but also I don’t think Ozeki practice the required actions.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Aug 30, 2023

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Well, in Terunofuji's extended absence Takakeisho did not perform a special dohyo-iri. I don't think that changes at all with the total absence of an active yokozuna, however.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

some kinda jackal posted:

I don’t think Ozeki practice the required actions.

The yokozuna dohyo-iri is something that they learn when they're promoted to the rank, from another yokozuna or a former yokozuna. There's a bunch of pictures of Terunofuji learning it from Isegahama after his promotion. They're notable because Isegahama is actually smiling and it looks so weird.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

The Yokozuna dohyo-iri is specifically Yokozuna only. Like the whole point of Yokozuna was that originally they were Ozeki who were allowed to have their own personal dohyo-iri as a bonus reward. You want the ceremony, earn it.

And I'm betting there's all sorts of taboo/bad luck/getting laughed if someone got caught practicing the moves before earning it either for being a loser fanboy dreamer if they are a low ranking no-hoper or a pretentious dick if they are a real prospect/star for jumping the gun.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Khizan posted:

The yokozuna dohyo-iri is something that they learn when they're promoted to the rank, from another yokozuna or a former yokozuna. There's a bunch of pictures of Terunofuji learning it from Isegahama after his promotion. They're notable because Isegahama is actually smiling and it looks so weird.

That’s right, this definitely rings a bell now.

pseudodragon posted:

And I'm betting there's all sorts of taboo/bad luck/getting laughed if someone got caught practicing the moves

Should.. should I stop? :ohdear:

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

Apparently WTK is back to training, which has me surprised. I thought he was going to be out for a year.

I'm a little torn because I would love to see him compete in person, but I think I'd actually rather he get healthy.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

some kinda jackal posted:

That’s right, this definitely rings a bell now.

Should.. should I stop? :ohdear:

Lol. Us dumbass fans can do whatever we want. I'm just imagining someone like Shonanzakura getting caught practicing the yoko moves in a back room.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Let they who do not perform a dohyo-iri in the office car park before work every morning cast the first stone

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Hakuoho might sit out of this basho to let his shoulder subluxation heal, and Miyagino-oyakata has hinted that he'll probably need surgery on it at some point:
https://hochi.news/articles/20230829-OHT1T51220.html?page=1

Asanoyama is suffering from an injured and swollen right big toe sustained over the weekend in jungyo. Dude might just attempt to tape it up and gut it out:
https://hochi.news/articles/20230831-OHT1T51131.html?page=1

Takakeisho figures he's alright to compete, even though he hasn't done any sumo practice since June/July:
https://hochi.news/articles/20230830-OHT1T51144.html?page=1

Wakatakakage is back practicing, but has still not decided if he will fight this month or continue to heal:
https://hochi.news/articles/20230829-OHT1T51152.html?page=1

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

I'd love to see medical sense prevail and have all of those dudes heal, but this is sumo, so:
- Hakuoho will probably compete until he's as high up as he can get while injured, then get surgery. I'm concerned he's there now, given the injury is known and most of the higher-ups are very good at exploiting known weaknesses. I'd say 70/30 compete/surgery.
- If Asanoyama broke a leg he would just superglue it to his other leg and keep competing. He'll be in.
- Keisho will show up because his dad would disown him if he just fell out of Ozeki without hurting himself further. And maybe he's healthy enough to pull it off.
- WTK is practicing against Sandanme stablemates, and his comments to the press seem to indicate he's letting Actual Recovery Time impact his choices. I would be very surprised to see him back in September. Besides, he has to let his brother keep the family mojo for a couple more basho.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

I will be so mad at Wakatakakage if he competes again this year.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Here we go Wakatakakagain

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

bartolimu posted:

I'd love to see medical sense prevail and have all of those dudes heal, but this is sumo, so:
- Keisho will show up because his dad would disown him if he just fell out of Ozeki without hurting himself further. And maybe he's healthy enough to pull it off.

Keisho was actually smart enough to take the Ozeki drop once knowing he was good to get the 10 needed to bounce back so out of all of them he might actually be good.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

When does the September Basho begin?

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Next Sunday!

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Here we go Wakatakakagain

lol.

cool that the giant child with hair not long enough for a top knot needs surgery already. luckily he's named for hakuho so i fully expect him to zensho yusho with at least one limb out of commission including the bullying an incoming yokozuna.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I think Kotonowaka is gonna post double-digits again and threaten a strong ozeki run for Kyushu.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

pseudodragon posted:

Lol. Us dumbass fans can do whatever we want.

INT. FUKUOKA KOKUSAI CTR - DOHYO - DAY

Gyoji and five shimpan huddled, frantically discussing in Japanese

HEAD SHIMPAN [Subtitled]
 But without the Yokozuna, the dohyo-iri will disappoint the crowd!

GYOJI [Subtitled]
               We’re in for it now! What do we do?

JSA Chairman Hakkaku walks up the dohyo, silently examines the
crowd, before pushing into the huddle.

CHAIRMAN [Subtitled]
                                He’s here!

Hahhaku dramatically points into the distance to the —

UPPER SEATS

some kinda jackal is sitting casually drinking an Asahi, a Takayasu towel draped
across his shoulders. He meets the Chairman’s gaze across the stadium,
narrows his eyes and nods stoically.

SOME KINDA JACKAL
                                It’s time.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Kenning posted:

I think Kotonowaka is gonna post double-digits again and threaten a strong ozeki run for Kyushu.

goddamn I hope so. wanna see Hoshoryu and Kirishima clear house too

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

this upcoming basho is going to be so wild everyone is going loving crazy right now and literally anyone could be the guy

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Marching Powder posted:

this upcoming basho is going to be so wild everyone is going loving crazy right now and literally anyone could be the guy

Yet somehow it will be Shodai.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

GoatSeeGuy posted:

Yet somehow it will be Shodai.

I watched him yusho and I still refuse to believe it.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Marching Powder posted:

As great as Hakuho was, I don't think I'd have gotten so into sumo if I'd started watching it while he was in his prime. Fantasy sumo would be much less interesting if you knew that slam picking Hakuho was always going to be the optimal solution.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I just want them all to be fit and healthy enough to not get demoted straight away :ohdear:

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too
Gonna dump some training news care of Kintamayama's newsletter. Hopefully won't tilt fantasy sumo too much:

Terunofuji

Kintamayama posted:

Yokozuna Terunofuji's knees are better. His back, not so much. "My knees are good. My main worry is my back.. The pain has subsided a bit and it is better, but it's not healed. I'll be going about things while checking my body on a daily basis. I don't know when I'll start doing sumo. The knees are moving smoothly after my surgery and are much better, it seems to me. But the back.." he said. He did get a shot of painkillers two days ago for his back.

Ozekis on Wednesday

Kintamayama posted:

New Ozeki Houshouryuu has started proper training and was at Tatsunami beya today. He had 21 heated bouts against Meisei and others. "I'm OK," he said when asked how he was. He was seen asking Nishikigi and others to come over to his heya for some keiko a few days ago at the rikishi-kai..

Kadoban Ozeki Kirishima trained at Arashio beya today. He faced Wakamotoharu for 18 straight bouts and was 13-5 and looking good. It was a heated session with Wakamotoharu looking out of breath and grimacing while Kirishima looked unfazed. "I'll be upping the pace gradually,'" he said. "Give me a break.. I'm still having a hard time. I'm really thankful. My aim for Aki is double-digit wins at a minimum," added Wakamotoharu.

Kirishima on Thursday

Kintamayama posted:

Kadoban Ozeki Kirishima came to Tokitsukaze beya for some degeiko today. 15 bouts, won them all, against the likes of Wakamotoharu, Shoudai, and Tokihayate. He showed all sorts of tachiais and was seeing his opponents well. Some hearty throws seen as well. His body seemed to be reacting well and he looked satisfied. "The usual keiko for me," he said. Tomorrow, the YDC soken, open to the public. "I just hope to do sumo with no injuries," he added.

As reported above Sekiwake Wakamotoharu also went to Tokitsukaze beya for degeiko today, facing Kirishima, Shoudai and Juryo Tokihayate for 16 bouts. He lost all seven bouts against Kirishima. "The Ozeki sure is strong. If I can't keep up with him I'll be going nowhere..," he said. "My body is moving well, though. I will surely be doing some sumo tomorrow at the soken, but I would like to observe others and learn from them as well.." he summed.

Hoshoryu and Asanoyama on Thursday

Kintamayama posted:

New Ozeki Houshouryuu trained at home yesterday against Meisei, 8-1. "As you saw, I did some good sumo, right? The buzz around me? Rising on the banzuke, I still face the same opponents. I'm not paying any attention to that. I am a bit tired after the jungyo and all the training. Still, there is no need for me to change my training regimen. That may lead to injuries.." he said..

Asanoyama still troubled with his toe injury he suffered at the jungyo. He only did some light training yesterday but intends to enter the basho. "I can't get a good grip on the dohyo with my toe. It still hurts a bit. It sucks that I got injured on the last day of jungyo and in my hometown..It was so swollen I couldn't see the blood vessels," he said. The swelling has subsided in the meantime . The soken tomorrow? "I'll tape it heavily and try to do some sumo.. Not much time left so I better get a move on.. " he explained.

Daieisho and Meisei on Friday

Kintamayama posted:

And Daieishou. He cracked a rib on day 13 of Nagoya and has not done sumo since then. He did join the jungyo on its final leg but did not do any sumo. He started two days ago at home, and yesterday he faced Juryo Daiamami and lower rankers for 13 bouts as the rust was evident. A lot of pulling. "I intend to start anew and will train towards that goal. It's been a while so there is that fear.. I'm not moving well yet and there is not much time left so I'll brace myself and go for it," he said, "I'm wondering which sekitori I can train with from other heyas. Only there can I see what my condition really is, " he summed.

Meisei is taking part in a movie that hits the theaters today- "Hello, Mother". He plays the part of a rikishi who goes to a shop to buy tabi. "I am a rikishi, so I'd rather be famous for my sumo," he said, bashfully. "It's a good movie so I'd like everyone to see it," he added, hopefully. He watched it at the heya at an early screening, but hasn't seen it yet on the big screen. "If possible, I'd like to go.." he said, wishfully.

YDC Soken on Saturday

Kintamayama posted:

For the first time in 4 years the YDC soken was open to the public for free and held at the Kokugikan. 4000 fans. "Everybody trained well! I'm really happy that the fans got to finally watch this session- the crowd was really into it.." declared Yokozuna Terunofuji who did not do any sumo but watched from the sidelines and was impressed. He did lend his chest to kadoban Kirishima, though."He seems to be the one closest to becoming Yokozuna. He looked very good in training today. My knees are much better. As for the back, I am slowly going through the healing process.. I'd like to be able to be ready for the basho.." he said. I'm guessing out for Aki, as he hasn't done any real sumo yet.

Kirishima faced fellow Ozekis Takakeishou and Houshouryuu and others and was 13-4 . He then borrowed Terunofuji's chest. "I thought it would be good for me. I am thankful," he said. Takakeishou was 6-6 overall. Houshouryuu was 7-7, which means that Kirishima had the most bouts amongst the Ozeki. "I really didn't want to lose even one bout.." he summed.

First time sanyaku Komusubi Nishikigi was there as well. During butsugari, he injured his right calf. "I think I pulled a muscle. I was doing really well till today and now this.." he said, dejected. This serious rikishi was first on the dohyo today as usual and was giving it his all. "It's my first stint at sanyaku so I'm looking for a kachikoshi and I will be going all out," he said. By the look of things, he's out as well.

Takakeishou faced the 2 Ozeki, Wakamotoharu and Daieishou- 6-6. He was seen easily shoving out Daieishou and Houshouryuu at some point. "I was planning on concentrating on one bout at a time. I don't have a lot of opportunities to face these guys on the dohyo, so it was a good day," he explained. No bandages. "I'm totally fine. The knee is not a problem. I hope to be able to go all out. I think I will be 100% ready. Still, I am coming off an injury," he said. "I am not thinking about the 2 new Ozeki at all. I just want to be healthy and stir things up and be in the yusho race for the fans.. An Ozeki can only hope for a yusho- no special prizes for us. I am only aiming for the yusho! If I do what I'm capable of doing, the results will follow, I reckon. If I concentrate and continue to do what I've done so far there won't be a problem.." he declared.

Bonus pic of rueful Asanoyama considering his toe:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Lucasar posted:

Good poo poo

man if you post these things i'll read the gently caress out of them. i don't really have much of an idea of what goes on between bashos so this is really interesting stuff even if it is mostly 'just how hosed is everyone'