Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

skeleton warrior posted:

; or it would be done in a state where Republicans would have to agree to oppenly oppose Donald Trump, and this will never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever happen.

Hasn't this basically already happened in at least GA, as we saw with the GJ testimony this month?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

BiggerBoat posted:

So, assuming Trump is found guilty on let's say 1/3 of this poo poo, 30 charges.

What do you guys honestly think we'll be looking at regarding sentences?

Because I honestly do not believe he'll go to jail. House arrest? Probation? Fines?

What's considered a moderate sentence for some of the more serious charges?

Does it matter? In Georgia he'll serve at least 5 years, and given he's 77 and not in great health I can't imagine he lives much more than that when denied his narcissistic fix of the spotlight.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Shooting Blanks posted:

Does Trump pay for a lot of others' lawyers? I was under the impression that he's hung almost everyone out to dry - Giuliani was reportedly begging Trump to pay his legal bills just a couple weeks ago. He's stiffed drat near every lawyer who's ever worked for him, and I thought even some of his own long term employees were basically hung out to dry. It's entirely possible that this whole circus has somehow been corrupted from within, including the attorneys representing each defendant - but if that's the case, that's a hell of a lot of sanctions and potential disbarments possibly happening in Georgia.

Yes, actually. And at least twice, as soon as two of these individuals obtained their own legal counsel their stories flipped immediately (Cassidy Hutchinson during the senate hearings and the IT guy at Mara largo in Florida case). There seems to be an understanding in place that he’ll pay for your lawyer if you play ball, but that’s only ever in Trumps favor.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Isn't it more likely that he's promising to pay for people's lawyers?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Nitrousoxide posted:

I think you're reading too much into what I said. Private E-discovery firms rarely deal with criminal cases with large teams. There's just not a ton of criminal cases that require enormous review teams for the defense. The vast majority of cases that require large amounts of discovery are civil suits between two corporations, mergers, or data breaches which require notification of users.

In the really odd event where an indigent client is faced with an 11.5 million-page production by the government they would either file a motion with the court that the prosecution didn't do a proper review of the documents and just dumped tons of crap on them to get them to redo it. Or, if it was a legit production, they would get the time and resources needed to review it since the defendant would have a constitutional right to a defense.

This goes back a few pages (ok, a lot of pages), but I've seen a couple references to Trump's request for delay recently and wanted to follow up - assuming the ~11M documents is an accurate number, how long would it take a private e-discovery firm to go through that? I get that there are a lot of variables at play, just looking for a ballpark range.

Edit: This is purely out of curiosity, nothing more.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Murgos posted:

It’s not binding doesn’t mean it’s going to be ignored but it also doesn’t mean it suddenly becomes super precedent either.

The $1000 an hour lawyers will come up with plenty of reasons why it doesn’t apply here and then how ever the judge rules it will get appealed to the Supreme Court.

No matter how many times you invoke griffin it’s not going to suddenly be some insurmountable wall.

If we've gone from "Multiple legal authorities have commented on this concept and no one even mentions this 1869 ruling as even a note or aside" to "The $1000 an hour lawyers will come up with plenty of reasons why it doesn’t apply here", then I think I'm done chasing those goalposts.

People can file lawsuits with pretty much any legal reasoning they want, whether it makes sense or not. Doesn't mean judges are gonna give them the time of day. I wouldn't expect people in serious official positions (such as federal prosecutors or state election officials) to bother with a dubious legal reasoning that the courts are unlikely to play along with.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Shooting Blanks posted:

This goes back a few pages (ok, a lot of pages), but I've seen a couple references to Trump's request for delay recently and wanted to follow up - assuming the ~11M documents is an accurate number, how long would it take a private e-discovery firm to go through that? I get that there are a lot of variables at play, just looking for a ballpark range.

From what I've seen, a surprising short amount of time. Major cases like big corporate acquisitions and mergers and the like frequently have far more documents than this (Imagine the amount of paperwork involved in like an American and British corporation, both at minimum decades old, both with concerns in a hundred countries or more!), and the firms that specialize in it have large numbers of lawyers they can call on to get to work on very short notice. Once you account for things like duplicated information, the estimates I've seen bounced around is that it'd probably take two to three months. Certainly I haven't seen any lawyer who isn't working for Trump that thinks the idea of it taking like a year or years is any kind of serious expectation.

I have a question of my own too, about self-executing stuff. Tell me if I'm understanding the concept correctly: If Trump is found guilty of the relevant crimes, it means there is no need for any further or additional action for the self-executing eventualities to be activated. He's just removed from the ballots, there's no need for Congress to say "Yep, he's invalid" or a judge to add it as a specific part of a sentence or anything? Is that about right?

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

Shooting Blanks posted:

Nitrousoxide posted:

I AM an actual lawyer who specializes in running an e-discovery department, so this is literally my jam.

So let's take the lawyer at his word here and assume all 11.5 million pages are potentially reviewable. I'm sure this is before any search terms or threading are done to reduce the population since they want to pump up the population. And he gave the page count rather than the doc count which is what you usually go by.

So lets break down how you'd go about tackling this.

11.5m pages. In my experience you typically see 2.5-3 pages per document. It depends heavily on the types of docs you see, but a sufficiently large population will probably even out an not be super heavy with orphan families or chat threads or whatever. So lets go with 3 pages per doc on average.

That's 3.8 million documents in the review set.

Now we need to run search terms, threading, deduping, etc on the set. You might even be able to run active learning on the set to cut it down further. But lets assume you're not doing any AI stuff. You'd usually see a reduction of the review set to about 30% of the original doc count from this stuff. Again this is highly dependent on the data set. A richer set will have more. A set from a variety of custodians might have a ton of dupes that can be cut out. But lets go with 30% left over here because that's a pretty normal amount.

So that leaves us with 1.15m docs that need reviewing for responsiveness/privilege/issues. They need to be redacted where they have attorney privileged info on them. And a privilege log needs to be generated for the docs you are withholding which are responsive. How long does this take?

Well, with a sufficiently well-developed review company you can staff up to hundreds of attorneys on a case in short notice, so actually grabbing the reviewers to look at these docs shouldn't be a problem. Lets say we want to get this done in 10 weeks with another 2 weeks for logging and redactions. How many reviewers would we need to accomplish this?

Typical review speeds are ~45 docs an hour, assuming the docs aren't enormous or tiny and the coding choices aren't voluminous. Let's say the reviewers need to pick responsiveness/privilege and apply up to 6 issue tags. A normal review. They will have on average an 8-hour day and 40 hours a week (often you'd allow/require more than that, but let's give them a nice work/life balance here)

40hrs * 45dph * 10 weeks * 65 reviewers will get you 1.17 million docs reviewed. Go up to 70 or 80 to give yourself some wiggle room in case things don't go according to plan.

While 65-80 reviewers is not a small review. It's certainly not a huge review and it's the kind of thing that gets done all the time for other cases. I've run dozens of them like this and advised clients on ones for my department where I didn't run them.

You don't need 2 years to do this kind of review.

Edit: and if this is 11.5 million docs are all government produced docs then we don't need to worry about privilege at all. Maybe they are richer though since (hopefully) the government did their own responsiveness review and so didn't produce a ton of junk docs. You can again run your search terms, deduping, etc. Though if the government already did that and trimmed down their production then you might be left with a pretty rich set.

In this case you'd have to review most of the review set that hits on search terms. Still about 3.8 million docs. Larger than my above estimate. In that case a good team size might be to double your review time to 20 weeks with a team of 110 reviewers. Larger, but not overbearing. And I've run larger reviews with shorter turn arounds.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

If you are paying your own lawyer, it makes a lot of sense to get away from the circus of a trump trial. Smaller, faster trials are cheaper, it’s probably much easier to seat a jury, and it’s easier to hire a lawyer for a smaller time commitment.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Hell, you might be able to get your sentence over and done with by the time the main trial starts.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Fuschia tude posted:

Hasn't this basically already happened in at least GA, as we saw with the GJ testimony this month?

Do not take a bunch of people testifying truthfully in a court of law, or a bunch of legistlators not doing anything effective to burn down the system in favor of Trump, as the same thing as working clearly and opening to deny Trump the nomination through legal manuevering.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Trump's arraignment in the Georgia case will be at 9:30 on September 6th. Initial scheduling for his next court event will happen there as well.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

eke out posted:

anyways, people like Andrew Weissmann (currently an MSNBC commentator after a lengthy DOJ career culminating in running the Mueller prosecutions) are off base in thinking that this is a good line of attack from Willis. but Meadows engaged with the argument (badly) and so should other people discussing it, it's not a question about pleading standards

eke out posted:

relatedly, i found this helpful general explainer from a UT fed crim law guy who wrote a full piece at lawfare about it
These were both insightful perspectives, thanks for the effort in tracking them down!

Currently, the Chutkan is going through a hearing on the trial date in DC. I personally appreciate her clear awareness of the attention being paid, explaining things for the public that the lawyers either already know or don't care about (she did similarly about timing and prep, and volume of discovery if you look upthread):

https://twitter.com/Brandi_Buchman/status/1696167229262324016
https://twitter.com/Brandi_Buchman/status/1696167543717732620

I am less appreciative of Lauro's clear awareness of attention being paid
https://twitter.com/Brandi_Buchman/status/1696167886874718674
https://twitter.com/Brandi_Buchman/status/1696168053673722007

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
The Trump case is actually about Hunter Biden, of course

https://twitter.com/MacFarlaneNews/status/1696173118010671382

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
"very, very unique" lol

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Piell posted:

they're just goin whole (hunter) hog on this, huh

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

I unironically like Anders as a character.
I’m starting to think that maybe Hunter shouldn’t be reelected for a second term.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Piell posted:

This reminds me-did Trump's promised news conference at Bedminster where he was going to present tons of evidence that he won the election ever happen? Or did he actually listen to his lawyers?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

This reminds me-did Trump's promised news conference at Bedminster where he was going to present tons of evidence that he won the election ever happen? Or did he actually listen to his lawyers?

He listened to his lawyers and chickened out like 2 days later. Nothing happened.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

This reminds me-did Trump's promised news conference at Bedminster where he was going to present tons of evidence that he won the election ever happen?

No.

quote:

Or did he actually listen to his lawyers?

Also no.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Trial is March 2024

https://twitter.com/MacFarlaneNews/status/1696181873083355595

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
March 4th, a win for Justice
https://twitter.com/Brandi_Buchman/status/1696182008534179945

Also,
https://twitter.com/ZoeTillman/status/1696176226153517260

A couple interesting notes here from Zoe. First, the government has come prepared to defend against novelty requiring a delay... though Chutkan clearly doesn't need convincing. The novelty here comes from who is raising the arguments but the few that directly relate to his former role as President and current role as candidate are largely meritless and have mostly been rejected to date (as seen above). Beyond that, it's more common arguments being made by a candidate/former president which doesn't provide much complexity.

The question of pretrial gag orders would see heavy review (that I'm still skeptical of without markedly worse public behavior or undisclosed, blatant private review) and here again we see Justice using Trump's ongoing public statements in service of justifying the actions they want (protective order, quicker trial) rather than hopping to the gag some ITT are salivating over. This has the additional benefit of demonstrating the ineffectiveness of less restrictive methods should a gag need to be issued.

Finally, Meadow is apparently testifying in his effort to be removed to Federal Court. This was... unexpected and represents a fairly substantial risk

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
The day before Super Tuesday. That is quite amusing.

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/MacFarlaneNews/status/1696182014435610807

MonkeyOnFire
Jun 3, 2004
I LOVE MONKEYS

Paracaidas posted:

Finally, Meadow is apparently testifying in his effort to be removed to Federal Court. This was... unexpected and represents a fairly substantial risk

Can you elaborate a bit on this point? I'm assuming the risk is to his own legal prospects, as testifying will open him to cross examination, but I'm struggling to stay above water with some of the ins and outs regarding these cases.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

presumably his attorneys will attempt to extremely narrowly limit his testimony to be just about his belief that he was acting in the course of his duties of the job. cross-examination isn't free ranging and will also have to stick to those general boundaries of issues they introduced, but it's fundamentally always much more of a risk than saying nothing

very little info on this right now because no devices in the federal courtroom. couple atlanta reporters appear to have left the courtroom to file updates saying that meadows was testifying, but not much else yet

eke out fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Aug 28, 2023

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Tayter Swift posted:

The day before Super Tuesday. That is quite amusing.

That probably will do some bad stuff to his ability to grab the primary win.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

MonkeyOnFire posted:

Can you elaborate a bit on this point? I'm assuming the risk is to his own legal prospects, as testifying will open him to cross examination, but I'm struggling to stay above water with some of the ins and outs regarding these cases.

Anything he says can and will be used against him in a court of law. Georgia has been investigating the case for a while and is probably in a better position to attack him than his lawyers are to prep him; and the way the hearsay rules work, the government gets to use anything helpful to them later regardless of who testifies, and gets to attack him for any inconsistencies, but Meadows usually can't use statements that are helpful to him later unless he testifies (and opens himself to cross) again.

Meadows will try to testify narrowly but cross is theoretically open to any relevant matter - relevant to this specific proceeding, mind - and the line is fuzzy.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Oh poo poo Chutkin is clearly eager to get this show on the road, March 4th is a lot earlier than most people I saw had expected - it was being mooted as most likely summer to around now. Instead she drat nearly gave the prosecution exactly what they asked for.

:getin:

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Is he rage posting yet?

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony

Zotix posted:

Is he rage posting yet?

Does he want it to be February 4th?

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Ms Adequate posted:

Oh poo poo Chutkin is clearly eager to get this show on the road, March 4th is a lot earlier than most people I saw had expected - it was being mooted as most likely summer to around now. Instead she drat nearly gave the prosecution exactly what they asked for.

:getin:

Yeah it kind of seems to me that she took the defense's proposal as a bad faith argument. Pushing it before the documents case is going to create some interesting problems for Trump I think.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Zotix posted:

Is he rage posting yet?

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
Two but who is counting.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

FASCHISTS

loving lol that baby Hitler is is using the German spelling.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

zzyzx posted:

Anything he says can and will be used against him in a court of law. Georgia has been investigating the case for a while and is probably in a better position to attack him than his lawyers are to prep him

I found it funny that Chutkin made it a point that even with a Mar 4 date, the trial is "not moving forward with the speed of a mob", because after all, it's happening three years, two months after the Jan 6 attack. The prosecution has made good use of their time, gotten everything organized, has all their ducks in a row. Trump and his crew could also have done that; much of the evidence is either public or things that they had access to, such as statements they themselves made. The defense COULD have gotten themselves prepped so they wouldn't be blindsided with needing to suddenly get everything prepared in six months. They just chose not to out of pure arrogance.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Xiahou Dun posted:

FASCHISTS

I always wondered if that copy of Mein Kampf he apparently kept in his bedroom was in the original German

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Xiahou Dun posted:

FASCHISTS

Way more likely that that was a typo

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh wait sorry that was just random rage about the House doing an impeachment inquiry (because they are about 10 votes short), THIS is about the trial date

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

It’s obviously just him being illiterate. Still funny.