Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Colostomy Bag posted:

Who doesn't enjoy fishing for a drain plug after you realized you had the engine too drat hot?

It's even better when it's a differential.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

Big Taint posted:

Falling into the drain pan is how my tools stay lubricated, it’s just normal maintenance.

This, but unironically for ratcheting wrenches.

cursedshitbox posted:

It's even better when it's a differential.

That's when I break out the dish washing gloves, or calving gloves when it really gets fun.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I use a magnet on a stick to pull things back out of my drain pan because the magnet on a stick needs a fresh oil coat more often than my hands do.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Colostomy Bag posted:

Who doesn't enjoy fishing for a drain plug after you realized you had the engine too drat hot?
Magnets

Unless its brass or something like that.

Motronic posted:

The biggest problem with it is that it's an open pan of dirty oil so all tools are immediately attracted to it. It's like dirty oil gives it it's own gravity or something.
I pulled the same socket out of the tub full of coolant under the motor 5 times recently, it's like it didn't even matter where I set it down.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

slidebite posted:

I learned the hard way that the 996 drains all 9.5L of oil so fast the drain/storage unit can't swallow it fast enough so it will overflow.

I have to use just a standard open pan and then pour it into empty milk jugs for the trip to hazmat recycling.

lol

That seems to be a recurring theme. Sometime in the '80s or '90s, my dad's friend tried one of those pans out with his air-cooled 911 - but it was one of those early ones that also has next to no capacity in the funnel/pan itself.

Said he used a lot of oil dry cleaning up that mess.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

slidebite posted:

for the trip to hazmat recycling.

What’s this recycling thing, you don’t just leave it in the shed for whoever has your house after you?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

the yeti posted:

What’s this recycling thing, you don’t just leave it in the shed for whoever has your house after you?

You all should read more and get with the times:

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Speaking of used motor oil. For those of y'all that do a lot of wrenching and use disposable nitrile gloves you can pick them up by the case from industrial and safety suppliers for cheaper per box rate than you can from places like harbor freight etc.
I know lots of people hate uline, but those types of places usually sell to the public.

When I'm doing shop work I can sometimes go through a box of 100 (50 pairs) in a day or so.

NgL I fuckin hate getting my hands dirty but my work buys cases at a time.
Excessive exposure to used motor oil (and probably lots of other poo poo too) is supposed to cause skin cancer. I have enough problems. If I can at least prevent that then I'm ahead of the game

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

When I'm doing shop work I can sometimes go through a box of 100 (50 pairs) in a day or so.

That's a really huge amount of gloves to go through.

That being said, I keep "good disposables" and "junk disposables" easily at hand to make sure I have what makes sense for what I'm doing.

Yeah, the juknk ones are (currently) harbor freight but I don't consume them in vast enough quantities to actually buy commercial quantities or every deal with uline.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I keep like 2-3 boxes of the dark purple HF nitrile gloves in a drawer, they're cheap enough to just toss on a pair when I'm doing anything oily. Just general wrenching I'll wear the Hardy mechanic's gloves, they actually seem to hold up the best of the brands I've tried. I hate the vinyl gloves, even for just tossing on for a real quick second.

It sucked when the nitrile ones spiked to like $20-30/box at the start of Covid, but that's also when I mostly stopped wrenching on the side for about a year and a half, so the couple boxes I had carried me through my personal projects just fine.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
i just take gloves from work :shrug:

it's not even stealing. i use them at work, then when they're too dirty for the clean room they're perfectly fine for car poo poo. so put em in your pocket instead of the trash

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I usually get em at Costco now that they've returned. Cheaper than the auto parts store, more expensive than HF I think but it's close. I have actually a box of each and I'm hoping to crown a winner, however I usually only use one or two pairs in a day. I don't know why you're using so many. Sure, my little fingies are like marinated sausages after a while but they're clean! And moisturized! I even put them back on if they're not hosed.

Everyone should definitely get a glove box dispenser though. They didn't seem to be commonplace when I first started using gloves or I was blind to them. I was installing them at hospitals and knew there was a better way. The HF magnetic ones are nice and really piss me off how expensive they are. It's sheet metal box braked and magnets glued on. That should be $4.99 and come in a two pack. Tbh it doesn't have to be metal at all! Plexiglass is good enough.

Today I mounted a hose reel and that is a sadistic job. Mounting plate designed by someone who doesn't have to mount it. The bottom two holes are u shaped slots so you can slip it into fasteners partly on. The top two don't have enough clearance to thread the bolt unless you lean it out. My modification suggestions... Make the TOP two holes keyholes, so it will hang on its own while I put the bottom screws in. I also assure them we don't need 3/8 lags to hold this. 1/4",2" long would likely be fine. Also, perhaps the base plate could be seperate and I could hang the whole apparatus on it somehow? Also they must have been like, metric lags because only my craftsman 1/2" wrench fit the bolts, they were too big for the Wera wrenches.

And finally this really annoyed me of a case of me buying a brand from Amazon and I should Har just waited for the HF reel to go on sale. It would have been all the same poo poo but I would have saved $20.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

the yeti posted:

The previous owners left a bunch of Betty Crocker butter container tubs scattered throughout the garage in various cabinets when I moved in... each one full of heavily used oil :gonk:

Who the gently caress does that poo poo?? Just... why??

At least they weren't using it as weedkiller I guess, that's another thing I've been told people used to do.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

You all should read more and get with the times:

My dad absolutely just dumps the oil in a spot near his house. Has for as long as I can remember.

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
The proper way to dispose of old oil

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Raluek posted:

i just take gloves from work :shrug:

it's not even stealing. i use them at work, then when they're too dirty for the clean room they're perfectly fine for car poo poo. so put em in your pocket instead of the trash

I just have grimy hands. I invest in good soap and a little brush for scrubbing my hands.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Cool; I needed a corded power shear for tomorrow but harbor freight was out of stock so through the magic of harbor freight coupons I now own a cordless power shear and cordless 4.5" grinder for a mid level battery system I didn't want to invest in

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Catatron Prime posted:

The previous owners left a bunch of Betty Crocker butter container tubs scattered throughout the garage in various cabinets when I moved in... each one full of heavily used oil :gonk:

Who the gently caress does that poo poo?? Just... why??

That’s way more impressive, in a way, than the tidy cat container I got.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I usually put the old oil in an empty oil container.Last time I didn't have any however, so I filled up an empty windshield washer fluid container instead. Eventually I bring them to recyclers, it's free after all. Or well, we can't not pay the yearly general waste handling fee. So use it we will.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

His Divine Shadow posted:

I usually put the old oil in an empty oil container.Last time I didn't have any however, so I filled up an empty windshield washer fluid container instead. Eventually I bring them to recyclers, it's free after all. Or well, we can't not pay the yearly general waste handling fee. So use it we will.

Make sure you don't use it as your washer fluid!

Yeah, I dragged dozens of random glass containers to the local recycling from my dad's garage. "What's in the bottles?" "Don't know!" Most of it was probably paint thinners that were used to clean brushes until they got too dirty, leading to a new can with new fluid.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

fknlo posted:

My dad absolutely just dumps the oil in a spot near his house. Has for as long as I can remember.

I have childhood memories of my dad dumping it on the gravel road in front of home. Looking back on it pretty sure it was his way "to keep the dust down"

RE: Glove chat, industrial places for sure over retail. Quality 5 mil is good, but I prefer 8 mil when wrenching as I find them way more resistant to ripping on the edge of a hose clamp or something. I like the Watson grease monkeys personally. I find 15 overkill.

Kinda related, I've also bought a box of vinyl gloves, the kind they use for food prep in fast food restaurants. It's like 500/box for next to nothing (like $5).

Not for wrenching though. After getting food poisoning once, we're super anal with food prep/cross contamination and I just use them whenever I'm handling raw meat. It's nice to not have to wash my hands 30 times when handing raw chicken or prepping ribs, kinda thing.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Aug 28, 2023

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

slidebite posted:

Kinda related, I've also bought a box of vinyl gloves, the kind they use for food prep in fast food restaurants. It's like 500/box for next to nothing (like $5).

Not for wrenching though.

Those are my "crappy" wrenching/working gloves. Half the time I'm only putting one on because I'm doing like one thing that's gonna make a mess of my hand and then going off doing other stuff.

Like reaching into the drat oil pan to get the socket that fell into it again.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Motronic posted:

Those are my "crappy" wrenching/working gloves. Half the time I'm only putting one on because I'm doing like one thing that's gonna make a mess of my hand and then going off doing other stuff.

Like reaching into the drat oil pan to get the socket that fell into it again.
Hah. I should actually bring some into the garage just for that. I usually just grab one of the good ones.

IOwnCalculus posted:

That seems to be a recurring theme. Sometime in the '80s or '90s, my dad's friend tried one of those pans out with his air-cooled 911 - but it was one of those early ones that also has next to no capacity in the funnel/pan itself.
They do pour out their oil at an amazing rate. I was shocked and remember going "holy poo poo" as the level in the funnel kept getting higher and higher... I'd never seen anything like that before.

I bought my funnel/pan back in the mid 90s and it has given me really good service. It actually has a good wide and reasonably deep. The funnel part on its own probably holds near 3L and the whole thing around 20-25L.

But the only other lid is the drain for emptying it, so if I cracked that to help it breathe that would be a little counter productive :(

I too used a poo poo ton of floor dry and brake clean when that happened. :(

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Yeah I probably am quite liberal with the use of nitrile gloves but you know what they say:

quote:

Boss makes a dollar, I make a dime, so thats why I use a shitload of company supplied gloves rather than getting my fuckin hands covered with diesel, hydraulic oil, grease and a ton of other poo poo of varying toxicity rather than just clean my hands with brake cleaner which I used to do but I think that might have had some detrimental effects on my health also some things I handle can be varying levels of sharp/pokey and they get holes in them and I really fuckin hate getting my hands covered with poo poo in general and I also poo poo on company time too.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
I know how you feel. I wear nitrile gloves pretty much the whole time I'm at work for that reason. They get dirty? There's more where that came from. I even wear them under my big thick gloves* so I don't get my hands messy when I take them back off to do something requiring dexterity. I've done that for so long that it feels weird when I first put on winter gloves, like putting on shoes without socks.

*Not to be confused with the oil change technique my friend got me to start using, where you put nitrile gloves over a pair of mechanix gloves so they don't get all oily, but you still have the thermal and impact protection of thicker gloves.

Sometimes I feel like a Captain Planet villain, but at least it keeps me from using so many paper towels from frequent hand washing.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

There are now semi-decent gloves that are actually biodegradable. Not super common, but they do exist.

IE:
https://www.watsongloves.com/products/5559pf-green-monkey/

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I'd love it if Watson sold their products in the States.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Too expensive

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

slidebite posted:

There are now semi-decent gloves that are actually biodegradable. Not super common, but they do exist.

IE:
https://www.watsongloves.com/products/5559pf-green-monkey/

In a very general meaning of the word they are, but not in the "how the industry works" one.

quote:

Will fully degrade in 10 years in moderate landfill conditions

That's.......not really useful. It's green grifting.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Most things "green" are feel good and used more for advertising than practical, but they do biodegrade in landfill, supposedly at least. Of course, the oily shop towels, old oil filters and greasy broken parts they are tossed into the dumpster with them are a different story
Meh, they're average according to what I've seen. Maybe not as cheap as some but better quality than most.

If they seem super expensive you're probably looking at buying them from the wrong place.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
My wife went digging in the garage and wanted to talk about all of the condoms she found.

I think my explanation bothered her more than whatever she had imagined.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
Does that work? I find if I wrap the tip in tape, then squish out a bunch of whatever the tube is, the goop on the end "seals" the rest of it and when i go back to it, i can peel off the end of goop, and then usually get a couple more uses out of it.
Condoms i think would leak air and harden in the tip, unless maybe you smoosh a bunch into the end.

Of course, if the condoms are there because you are using it for something else, then disregard (and remember to flare the base).

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

These have worked for me https://www.caulkcap.com/

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

eddiewalker posted:

My wife went digging in the garage and wanted to talk about all of the condoms she found.

I think my explanation bothered her more than whatever she had imagined.

"I need some extra large condoms for my Magnum caulk"

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

blindjoe posted:

Does that work? I find if I wrap the tip in tape, then squish out a bunch of whatever the tube is, the goop on the end "seals" the rest of it and when i go back to it, i can peel off the end of goop, and then usually get a couple more uses out of it.

Don't wrap the tip of you dick in tape, squeeze the "tube", and fill it with "goop"!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

blindjoe posted:

Condoms i think would leak air and harden in the tip, unless maybe you smoosh a bunch into the end.

Of course, if the condoms are there because you are using it for something else, then disregard (and remember to flare the base).

I put it in the freezer

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

blindjoe posted:

It works for a few weeks at least —the length of a painting project. The thick dry ones are really cheap. Maybe $0.10 each

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Galler posted:

These have worked for me https://www.caulkcap.com/

You can get a lot of water balloons at the dollar store; they can even come with a stem and rubber band attached.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Aug 29, 2023

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I use the harbor freight caulk savers (which are exactly the opposite of a saver if applied to the other kind of cock, unless you're into CBT and sounding) but I don't expect them to last more than a few months that way. Which is usually fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I've always just threaded a woodscrew in the tip. Usually when removed a small slug of dried silicone comes out with it and it works perfect.