Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Nocheez posted:

This post has made me consider how much my bike and everything on it must weigh.

in pounds:
Extra battery - 15?

Your battery probably weights closer to 5 than 15lbs.

Twerk from Home posted:

My kids are big now and we're still wanting to move around the 61 pound 6 year old as a passenger.
Ah, that makes sense. In my head, I'm expecting our 3.5yo to be riding on his own in a manageable way before he gets too big, though that's not as big of a deal with the Quick Haul.

foutre posted:

For a suspension seatpost, how many shims is too many shims? I.e., more than 1?

Stacking is probably fine. I'd not align the two slots to avoid making the shape too irregular.
You could also add in a soda can shim in between if tolerances were bad, but I'd be surprised if you could fit one in there.

evil_bunnY posted:

the continuously variable hub straight up will not shift under load.

When I test rode the Urban Arrow with an enviolo, I was extremely surprised at how robustly it shifted under load. It hung a little bit in the easiest gears under heavy load, but did fine elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

The goon bike Slack was kicking around the idea of designing a custom headtube badge for the REI Coop e1.1/1.2 bikes. There must be 5-6 purchases, getting into Soma Wolverine territory.
Would be a snap to print with Redbubble or the like.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

The goon bike Slack was kicking around the idea of designing a custom headtube badge for the REI Coop e1.1/1.2 bikes. There must be 5-6 purchases, getting into Soma Wolverine territory.
Would be a snap to print with Redbubble or the like.

I’d be interested.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
What is redrubble, some kind of 3d print material? Can I pay for a fancy reflective badge?

mystes
May 31, 2006

stephenthinkpad posted:

What is redrubble, some kind of 3d print material? Can I pay for a fancy reflective badge?
If you're not making some sort of joke, redbubble is a site where people can make/sell stickers

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I searched Redrubble afterward. I hope their weatherproof stickers resist to elements.

Do you need to join a group buy or this is like a tee shirt website you just follow a link and purchase the merch yourself?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

kimbo305 posted:

Your battery probably weights closer to 5 than 15lbs.

You are correct. I picked it up when I got home and laughed at the 15 pound number.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

stephenthinkpad posted:

I searched Redrubble afterward. I hope their weatherproof stickers resist to elements.

Do you need to join a group buy or this is like a tee shirt website you just follow a link and purchase the merch yourself?

This is a matte finish transparent decal sticker

Wouldn’t hold up to direct spray hose, I bet.

I was thinking one person order and mail out to everyone else. That sticker was less than $3, then remailing cost. Oh and technically it shouldn’t be anything copyrighted. You can publish the design and have people order individually, but that probably costs more in aggregate shipping.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Its basically a gangtag for the bike right? I will get 2.

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM
I love that; I just upgraded my lovely Jetson to a Co-op 1.1 and immediately rode it 13 miles home from REI.
I kind of don't like the weird centerstand thing but this bike kicks rear end and has a gear low enough to make it up my exwife's steep-rear end driveway so like, hell yeah.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

When I test rode the Urban Arrow with an enviolo, I was extremely surprised at how robustly it shifted under load. It hung a little bit in the easiest gears under heavy load, but did fine elsewhere.
They must have improved it since I rode it then, that’s cool. On my test ride I could shift it with difficulty when I pedaled but as soon as the mid drive was on, no way.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

evil_bunnY posted:

They must have improved it since I rode it then, that’s cool. On my test ride I could shift it with difficulty when I pedaled but as soon as the mid drive was on, no way.

New York City had (still has?) Envolio CVTs on their bikeshare bikes for a while and they never had problems shifting under load so far as I could tell. I imagine making gearboxes for the biggest bike share program in the US is an exercise in quality assurance

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost
Help me ebike thread, you're my only hope.

I bought an ebike a year ago and put 2300 miles on it, mostly moving my 8 miles (one-way) to work. I have since moved and now live 10 miles away from work, but have a giant hill (2000 feet). I'm considering upgrading my ride.

I currently have a Rad Power City 4, I have yet to try it on the hill because the brakes aren't that great.

I'd like something with a throttle that can do a reliable 20 mph up a hill and has good brakes. Can you recommend an ebike?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

If you believe in Rad for longish term support, you can always upgrade the brakes themselves for a few hundred.

If there’s a hill that makes you think is unsafe/unusable cuz of your brakes, you should be addressing that somewhat urgently.

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Which hsd are you looking at? None of the ones I can find use a 5 speed. Which 5 speed hub are they specing on the one you're looking at?

I've been running a Sturmey Archer 5 speed hub with a BBS02 for 6-7 years and it's worked great. The low gear count is meaningless when the motor can fill in any power gaps, and the range goes from granny gear to 30mph gear. I'm not carrying anywhere near the weight you're taking about but with appropriate gearing I don't see why a 5 speed is a problem.

If anything I like it better with fewer gears, I'd be shifting every two seconds or skipping gears constantly if there were 11 of them.

My HSD P9 performance has a 9 speed hub and I hardly ever use the top 3 gears, I would gladly trade those for a belt drive that didn't need lube every other day and replacement every 5ish months.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Boot and Rally posted:

I currently have a Rad Power City 4, I have yet to try it on the hill because the brakes aren't that great.

I'd like something with a throttle
I'd like to throttle that person who designed an ebike with mechanical disc brakes that need to be adjusted often, but can't be adjusted with the wheel on.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

lol how could you adjust the brake without having a rotor to look at?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Hackers film 1995 posted:

lol how could you adjust the brake without having a rotor to look at?
Right pad adjustment is blocked by motor. Remove wheel or caliper. Have fun.

Also the pads don't sit fully over the rotor because the brake post mounts are not placed correctly for a wheel with a big axle:rubby:

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Aug 18, 2023

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

CopperHound posted:

Right pad adjustment is blocked by motor. Remove wheel or caliper. Have fun.

or just get a slim plate hex wrench. sucks to buy a tool, but they are handy for tight spots. could also just loosen the caliper bolts and move the caliper toward ya a bit if some of the stationary pad os still showing. still sucks though but you dont have to remove the wheel or caliper.

edit
true about the brake mounts tho. they are lol

Hackers film 1995 fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Aug 18, 2023

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

raggedphoto posted:

My HSD P9 performance has a 9 speed hub and I hardly ever use the top 3 gears, I would gladly trade those for a belt drive that didn't need lube every other day and replacement every 5ish months.
I've owned my bullitt for over 3 years now and I've added silicon lube on the gates belt *once* in that time. Performance never degraded, I just wanted it silent again instead of just quiet. Zero maintenance, zero stained pants. The inter-5 hub I could take or leave, I love di2 and the low maintenance (one oil flush a year, basically) but it could use a bit more range and quieter shifts; the gates belt I'd take every time.

CopperHound posted:

I'd like to throttle that person who designed an ebike with mechanical disc brakes that need to be adjusted often, but can't be adjusted with the wheel on.
lol what an rear end in a top hat.

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

kimbo305 posted:

If you believe in Rad for longish term support, you can always upgrade the brakes themselves for a few hundred.

If there’s a hill that makes you think is unsafe/unusable cuz of your brakes, you should be addressing that somewhat urgently.

lol, yeah, I haven't gone up or down the hill because I don't want to get stuck half way.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Boot and Rally posted:

lol, yeah, I haven't gone up or down the hill because I don't want to get stuck half way.

What's your concern here? Is the non-geared hub motor unable to start you from a stop, or are your brakes out of adjustment and unable to clamp hard enough? Or something else?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
You just need hydraulic brakes and brake early when you go down the hill. There is no secret. If you can upgrade the brake on the Rad power yeah just do that. It's easier than going thru the hassle of selling the bike.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

raggedphoto posted:

You must ride way more miles, under more load, or go harder on the power than me because I only oil my chain once every couple months and replace the it every couple years. I'm averaging 5-10 miles per day year round.

I hear you about the belt drive though, I'm eyeing one for my next commute build.

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

Twerk from Home posted:

What's your concern here? Is the non-geared hub motor unable to start you from a stop, or are your brakes out of adjustment and unable to clamp hard enough? Or something else?

The brakes are out of adjustment and are just about at the "lever touches the handle bar" when I brake. At the very least they need to be serviced. I am also concerned that it doesn't have the power to get me up the hill in a time that is practical for commuting.

stephenthinkpad posted:

You just need hydraulic brakes and brake early when you go down the hill. There is no secret. If you can upgrade the brake on the Rad power yeah just do that. It's easier than going thru the hassle of selling the bike.

They are not hydraulic. I'll look into upgrading. I would also need better lights because I'd be riding in pitch black.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Boot and Rally posted:

The brakes are out of adjustment and are just about at the "lever touches the handle bar" when I brake. At the very least they need to be serviced. I am also concerned that it doesn't have the power to get me up the hill in a time that is practical for commuting.

They are not hydraulic. I'll look into upgrading. I would also need better lights because I'd be riding in pitch black.

You can start by adjusting your brakes, which you can do with just a single appropriately sized hex wrench. I guess on your specific bike you also have to take the wheel off, because Rad Power hates you. Mechanical disks like this need regular adjustment, if you haven't ever done it it's no wonder they're hosed.

The brakes themselves have plenty of power. I've done two "oh poo poo" emergency stops on the Radwagon, one with kids on, and that bike can stop fast, the brakes just don't feel good or give you feedback, but they're fine to stop the bike quickly. Big ol' rotors, huge tires with a wide contact patch and a loooong bike with lots of weight on the back? You're never going to endo it, so you can grab a ton of brake.

You may not need hydraulic brakes. Those still need maintenance, just a different kind.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Hackers film 1995 posted:

or just get a slim plate hex wrench. sucks to buy a tool, but they are handy for tight spots.

My Radmission actually came with one of these as part of the little toolkit they give you with it. Even had a sticker on it saying it's for brake pad adjustment.

I don't actually use it because the motor on the Radmission is small enough to not block adjustment from the other side.

Boot and Rally posted:

I would also need better lights because I'd be riding in pitch black.

If you're still using the stock headlight, the upgraded one from Rad is way, waaaaay better.

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

You must ride way more miles, under more load, or go harder on the power than me because I only oil my chain once every couple months and replace the it every couple years. I'm averaging 5-10 miles per day year round.

I hear you about the belt drive though, I'm eyeing one for my next commute build.

Odd. I’m at 14 miles per day, ride in tour mode 90% of the time and mostly carry light loads. Granted I ride a lot in the rain and and my route has mild hills, I lube the chain closer to 1-2 times per week not “every other day.”

Chain replacement seems better since switching to shimano, the first chain stretched out in under a thousand miles.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

raggedphoto posted:

Odd. I’m at 14 miles per day, ride in tour mode 90% of the time and mostly carry light loads. Granted I ride a lot in the rain and and my route has mild hills, I lube the chain closer to 1-2 times per week not “every other day.”

Chain replacement seems better since switching to shimano, the first chain stretched out in under a thousand miles.

I ride in the rain all winter too. Are you running an 1/8" chain or 3/32"?

Part of why I went hub gear was to use the larger chain for all that power going through it.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Helter Skelter posted:

My Radmission actually came with one of these as part of the little toolkit they give you with it. Even had a sticker on it saying it's for brake pad adjustment.

I don't actually use it because the motor on the Radmission is small enough to not block adjustment from the other side.

i heard someone call that lil tool a cobra one time but i dont know if thats an official name haha. yeah so many times i will adjust mechanical disc brakes for people who think their bike has ”shot” brakes and then they are like new. takes only few minutes (usually) with some practice. its tough to convince people that a bike or ebike is not a car and will take maintenance a lot more often. i check my poo poo at least every week (but im a psycho)

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib
Selling my Luna Cycle X2 e-MTB if anyone's interested!
SA-Mart thread

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Just rolled over 4500 mi on my first gen Tern GSD. Almost all of that was daily riding on the island where I live (Guernsey), but this year I finally bit the bullet and took it touring on the ferry to the UK to attend some courses.

March, atrocious weather on the way back to Portsmouth, UK Travelodge motels let you take your bike to the room though which was nice to discover.

The corridors were very long and there weren't any No Cycling signs.
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rs2muzNeOd1a2hxyk_720.mp4

Camping with my friend and his HSD, we learned to make longbows in the woods with a bushcraft guy. We rode 50mi each way on this trip to High Weald.

Waiting for the ferry back, the >80in bows are wrapped up and strapped down the right hand side of my bike. Taking long cargo down the side requires some extra attention to not accidentally Joust anything/anyone.

Two years ago I got married on the island of Sark, a provincial paradise where cars are banned and the only traffic is foot, bicycle, tractor and horse carriage. For the wedding I modified the rear cargo rack with a pine worktop as a seat, the left side rail cut out, and lastly added a foot rest so my wife could sit side saddle. We have some great photos of us on the bike, cruising down gravel and dirt roads.

Nearly 5yr/5kmi on this bike and I still love it. I can do all my food shopping, DIY supplies (2x4s, ladders, pipe strapped down the side), fishing rods, long bows, camp chairs, 3D printers and still occasionally people. My GSD has led to at least 5 other people getting either GSDs or HSDs, most recently our next door neighbours.

Terns, the GSDs especially, are ridiculously popular here. So much so that Tern USA called my friends who own the local bike shop to figure out if there was some kind of tax shenanigans or something happening. This was because the little rural bricks-and-mortar sold more GSDs than any other British bike shop two years running and Tern were sending a significant amount of their total UK stock to a small speck of rock in the english channel.

Neurostorm
Sep 2, 2011
I've been loving my specialized ebike for commuting. I'd like to use it to do some small (like 2 bags) grocery runs at the trader joe's right by my office. What are the best options for something like that? I believe someone before mentioned that an MIK crate would be a good solution -- does anyone have good recomendations for those?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Neurostorm posted:

I've been loving my specialized ebike for commuting. I'd like to use it to do some small (like 2 bags) grocery runs at the trader joe's right by my office. What are the best options for something like that? I believe someone before mentioned that an MIK crate would be a good solution -- does anyone have good recomendations for those?

Two waterproof panniers to hang on the rails of your rear rack.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

kimbo305 posted:

Two waterproof panniers to hang on the rails of your rear rack.

This will probably hold more than you'll want to reasonably carry, especially if you use the flat rack space to hold bigger things like a case of cans or something. I always kept a ratchet strap in my panniers for this occasion, I prefer it to bungee cords.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

I've been desperately wanting to do a ride around bainbridge island this weekend and I can't because of the goddamn wildfire smoke. :-( (I mean I could if I want to know what it feels like to smoke a pack of cigs in one day)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ReelBigLizard posted:

Terns, the GSDs especially, are ridiculously popular here. So much so that Tern USA called my friends who own the local bike shop to figure out if there was some kind of tax shenanigans or something happening. This was because the little rural bricks-and-mortar sold more GSDs than any other British bike shop two years running and Tern were sending a significant amount of their total UK stock to a small speck of rock in the english channel.

lol how does one even broach that subject?

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost
Thanks for the tips thread! I serviced the brakes and they are nice and stoppy. The direct drive hub motor is a bit sluggish on the parts of the uphill that are more than 10% grade, but I still buzz past the folks on the $20k road bikes.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I'm getting close to 1k miles and I usually ride heavy and fast, so I'm planning to replace my pads and do brake fluid exchange. Brand suggestion for high quality pads to put in a tektro hydraulic setup? Humid area for now, but I'm also game for suggestions for a desert climate for later. I'd prefer quieter and don't care about super long life, I just don't want to sacrifice stopping power

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

raggedphoto posted:

Granted I ride a lot in the rain
This is the main thing IME. Our GSD eats chains at about 3 or 4x the rate in the winter compared to dry season. It's better with wax-based lubs (secret sauce) since the chain's not so tacky but it's still bad. The only way to keep the grinding-paste making grit away IME is to water-spray then blow-dry your chain. I do it on the MTB I ride once a week but it's way too much of a pain on a commuter.

ReelBigLizard posted:

Camping with my friend and his HSD, we learned to make longbows in the woods with a bushcraft guy. We rode 50mi each way on this trip to High Weald.

This owns