Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
The Sidonia robots have catheters in their cockpits, I forget if they mentioned what happens with the uh, product though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Competition with Halo forcing mecha cockpits to up their game.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Which is weird, isn't macross 7 also off the table. In the states?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Mjolnir Armour System is indeed fully functional.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Justin_Brett posted:

The Sidonia robots have catheters in their cockpits, I forget if they mentioned what happens with the uh, product though.

They explain it

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib

Sharon Apple's now the most prominent on the cover, feels good.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Kingtheninja posted:

We just see the Basara and Mylene who are new to Macross 7 so they're probably safe. It's the original Macross that Hamrony Gold is gonna kibosh

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Macross II is so erased it never even got on the poster.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/omega11_fox2/status/1695453981697617964

Here comes Sazabi. AC6's customization is insane.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
gently caress that looks great. Guess I gotta play that now.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Armored Core 6 plays insanely good and is hands down probably the best mech game We’re going to have for several years.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I hope it's not all featureless, wide-open battlefields. That poo poo looks boring.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

mllaneza posted:

I hope it's not all featureless, wide-open battlefields. That poo poo looks boring.

Definitely not, I can't think of a level that is like that except like the Training Mode arena.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I saw Macross 7's dub at Otakon last year so I assume it is street legal in Joe Biden's America.

Queadlunn posted:

Sharon Apple's now the most prominent on the cover, feels good.
Justice for Sharon

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Kingtheninja posted:

I think if you can include stuff from 7 without mentioning Max, Milia, or Exedore it's allowed?

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Macross 7 has been announced for US home video, so however the restrictions work does not prohibit the way 7 uses original Macross characters.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
The issue with Shooting Insight isn't the original Macross or anything to do with Harmony Gold, it's that the game uses DYRL which has some kind of rights problem so bad it's currently unreleasable outside Japan by anybody, it the one thing that was specifically left out of the BW/HG deal entirely

(It's also not in the base game in Japan despite being front and centre on the poster, it's DLC)

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Well, season 2 of MLA had its issues but good lord the mecha action was sweet.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

mllaneza posted:

That's just a specifically bland training room. The actual game is filthy with useful cover most of the time unless you're supposed to be in a face-on throwdown with another AC, like the arena.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Why didn't Bernie Sanders stop Alternative V

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/MangaMoguraRE/status/1697083918095155443?s=20

what the gently caress is going on

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

this was inevitable

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Yeah it's ridiculous it took this long.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I hope that Kyoukai Senki mecha animators training course paid off.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

...was the original any good?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i started watching the original today and it's, fine. dont think the first few episodes would particularly draw anyone in today but there's some kinda neat visuals sometimes

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its a bit slow in spots but it has some neat ideas. as far as that early-2000s wave of slightly weirder mecha stuff goes its one of the better ones.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Mechas that move by "skating" along the ground has been around forever but does it predate Gundam? Did any shows prior to Gundam feature the skating maneuver or was that first shown with the Black Tri-Star Dom squad?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Arc Hammer posted:

Mechas that move by "skating" along the ground has been around forever but does it predate Gundam? Did any shows prior to Gundam feature the skating maneuver or was that first shown with the Black Tri-Star Dom squad?

If it does predate Gundam it feels like the kind of thing a monster of the week would do in a super robot show.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Yeah, if it predates the Tri-stars then was almost certainly just some other one-off monster of the week.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
I would be so bold as to call Zegapain an "underrated gem", I really liked that show. It's one of those shows that's been out of print and barely obtainable physically for at least a decade, it had one of those Dunbine style dvd releases where they saw the sales figures of volume 1 and said "oh no" and didn't end up printing much of volumes 4-6 and didn't even bother giving it a budget box set rerelease that almost everything ended up getting

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Is there an updated version of the OP somewhere? I haven't watched any mecha basically but Armored Core 6 has me wanting more robots.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Brandfarlig posted:

Is there an updated version of the OP somewhere? I haven't watched any mecha basically but Armored Core 6 has me wanting more robots.

Not the OP specifically, but I could get some recommendations for newer stuff ready if you wanted it.

For Armored Core, Gundam is probably the closest to the tone you want, and that has its own thread. I'd recommend Iron Blooded Orphans for morally ambiguous mercs getting into complicated civil war bullshit, but in general, Gundam is the king of the "real robots".

More recently, the Evangelion movies finished off with a really strong final release that closed the book on the show in a way the original film didn't, so if you've been looking to check that out, and don't mind watching 25 episodes and 5 movies.

For something a bit lighter, Gridman and Dynazenon are the big hits of recent years for smaller name mecha, with a big crossover movie that came out this year (and that will hopefully be available in English soon). Basically it combines grounded interpersonal drama and intense existential mysteries with kaiju fights, without losing a sense of humor.

You can also watch Promare from the same studio if you're in the mood for something short. Firefighters in giant robots save the world from pyrokinetics, but perhaps things aren't as they seem. Not too deep, but it's fun, colorful, and energetic, with all the escalation people expect from Trigger in a small package.

There's a ton of other one or two season shows in the last couple years, but most of them aren't anything too special for general purposes. More something to try out if you're already having fun with the genre and are looking for more specific stuff.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Brandfarlig posted:

Depending on your tolerance for old art and animation: Armored Trooper VOTOMS has some loosely armored core vibes to it.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll take a look. It doesn't have to be the same vibe as armored core though. I'll check out the gundam thread too.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Wataru Inata did mech designs for Armored Core and that design sense carries over to the mechs he designed for Peil Technologies in Gundam Witch From Mercury. Granted WFM isn't nearly as bleak as AC6 but there is an episode in season 2 featuring what might as well be a squad of customized ACs bullying out-of-date MT equivalents. Not indicative of the show as a whole, mind you.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Sep 1, 2023

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

Wataru Inata did mech designs for Armored Core and that design sense carries over to the mechs he designed for Peil Technologies in Gundam Witch From Mercury. Granted WFM isn't nearly as bleak as AC6 but there is an episode in season 2 featuring what might as well be a squad of customized ACs bullying out-of-date MT equivalents. Not indicative of the show as a whole, mind you.

I considering mentioning Witch, but despite its art design and premise seeming primed for an AC comparison, it pretty much abandoned any of that for a crap school setting, so it seemed a bad fit. ( Not that school settings have to be bad. It's just Unicorn did more with it's school setting in ten minutes than Witch did in its whole run.) I mean, sure, if someone wanted a Yuri romance where the leads barely ever talk to each other and the show goes out of its way to talk about how great abusive parents are, sure, Witch is at the top of the list. But a mech anime with no good fights, no coherent politics, and shockingly weak music is a poor fit for a next step after an AC game.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Chiasaur is something of an outlier on disliking WfM, but it is doing something different tonally; the idea is that the kids are insulated from how hosed things are until they’re suddenly not.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Brandfarlig posted:

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll take a look. It doesn't have to be the same vibe as armored core though. I'll check out the gundam thread too.

if you want something that actually has similar vibes to armored core check out armored trooper votoms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFanx7cEIQY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Ryousuke Takahashi's various mecha series are probably the closest you'd get to the tone of Armoured Core in anime. Votoms is one but Garasaki is in the same vein. I can't speak for Fang of the Sun Dougram but it's apparently also a good watch.