Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.

Remy Marathe posted:

I have objections

I mean yeah the kid should be wearing gloves and a full face helmet.

My only question is how does a 3 year old stop riding a goldwing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
That specific goldwing is fully operable from right handlebar controls. Automatic transmission and linked brakes. So it is possible

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

moxieman posted:

I mean yeah the kid should be wearing gloves and a full face helmet.

My only question is how does a 3 year old stop riding a goldwing.

That's the thing, usually nature takes its course but this little guy might be looking at 90 more years of dadbike, there's no data on what that might do to the brain.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Teenage rebellion is going to be a Schwinn

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Nitrox posted:

That specific goldwing is fully operable from right handlebar controls. Automatic transmission and linked brakes. So it is possible

it's not so much the question of how does he get it rolling or can he stop it, it's trusting a 3 year old to modulate throttle and brakes (that it looks like he's using to hold himself up b/c they've got him draped over the plastic instead of standing up on the seat), and do it well enough that you can run alongside, catch, and then balance an 800+lbs bike to get him off the thing without dumping it over

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it's a stupid stunt that basically constitutes child endangerment

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
When I test drove one of those, I took my hand off the throttle completely mid turn, to prove a point. And the goldwing kept the throttle open until the turn was complete. Point being, there are number of systems invested in keeping this thing upright. You don't see that 3-year-old trying to navigate a turn, just rolling down the track. Chances are, you can perch a cat on that seat and let it go, with similar results.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nitrox posted:

When I test drove one of those, I took my hand off the throttle completely mid turn, to prove a point. And the goldwing kept the throttle open until the turn was complete. Point being, there are number of systems invested in keeping this thing upright. You don't see that 3-year-old trying to navigate a turn, just rolling down the track. Chances are, you can perch a cat on that seat and let it go, with similar results.

Citation needed

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Citation needed

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!
It's called "cat-like reflexes" for a reason

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Excitebike64 is back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVHhNyEQeio

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Hell yes

By the way, let’s list our favorite non poo poo motorcycle games, because there aren’t enough of them, and good motorcycle feel is very tough to nail in video games. here’s my list in somewhat of an order

1) Tourist Trophy (PS2). It’s Gran Turismo for bikes, by the Gran Turismo team, and should be on your list.

2) Moto Racer (PC, PlayStation 1, maybe others). Very arcadey, but hooked me big time back in the day

3) Ducati 90th anniversary (PC https://store.steampowered.com/app/456780/DUCATI__90th_Anniversary/ and PS4/5 as well as Xbox One).
Reminds me a bit of tourist trophy, and handles decent. I got it for free with PS+ back in the day, but bought it for my steam deck recently as well

4) Road Rash (Sega Genesis). no notes

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Aug 27, 2023

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Super Cycle on the Commodore 64 was better than it had any right to be. It's arcade as hell but I don't care.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Hell yes

By the way, let’s list our favorite non poo poo motorcycle games, because there aren’t enough of them, and good motorcycle feel is very tough to nail in video games. here’s my list in somewhat of an order

1) Tourist Trophy (PS2). It’s Gran Turismo for bikes, by the Gran Turismo team, and should be on your list.

2) Moto Racer (PC, PlayStation 1, maybe others). Very arcadey, but hooked me big time back in the day

3) Ducati 90th anniversary (PC https://store.steampowered.com/app/456780/DUCATI__90th_Anniversary/ and PS4/5 as well as Xbox One).
Reminds me a bit of tourist trophy, and handles decent. I got it for free with PS+ back in the day, but bought it for my steam deck recently as well

Correct

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Is there a bad motorcycle video game? There aren't a lot of them.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’d argue any of the MX vs ATV games. I had a couple in the PS2/360 era and they were pretty bad

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ride 3 is basically unplayable, at least with a PS4 controller

Imo MX vs ATV 'reflex' was pretty good, it made an effort to make the different bikes feel different with different strengths, and the 'having a wobble' stimulation was pretty cool and unique as far as I know

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Oi mate you havin' a wobbly

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

motocross madness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dBpDWmOr34

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Gotta drove straight to the edge of the map though

E: that’s what the video is lol

Also, ELASTOMANIA

Mr Lanternfly
Jun 26, 2023
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extreme-G_3

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000
Road Redemption, super unforgiving steering like the original Road Rash. Very satisfying and wide combat, co-op dope as hell.

Not realistic

https://store.steampowered.com/app/300380/Road_Redemption/

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Nitrox posted:

I own one of these bikes and unless you had the cruise control on and set it did no such thing, please stop talking out of your rear end

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Jazzzzz posted:

I own one of these bikes and unless you had the cruise control on and set it did no such thing, please stop talking out of your rear end

I know what I saw. Try it on your auto Goldwing and report back

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

A bike that holds the throttle open after you've shut it seems like more of a KTM idea

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Hell yes

MX Superfly. It felt like it took the most inspiration from the Tony Hawk games (unlockable riders like an alien and guy with giant fro), but also had all the realistic tracks from the ~2002 AMA season. And most of the bikes were 2-strokes.

Also Slavvy is right that Reflex felt like the best MX game. It was a sweet spot of realistic and arcadey handling.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Tourist Trophy was awesome, I still have my PS2 copy - then again I still have my copy of The Warriors and that game is sadly unplayable.

I kind of dug MotoGP '21, the camera tilt when you'd corner was neat and it just felt good, I can't explain it.

Getting the NRG500 in GTA: San Andreas and taking it through the skate park halfpipes was very fun.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Hah yeah that is probably the "motorcycle game" I've played the most. Every one of my garages in game was just filled with NRG-500s. lol

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Remaking tourist trophy for PS5 VR would be possibly the greatest motorcycle video game thing ever. You could even simulate engine vibes with the hand controller haptics.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

The feel isn't fantastic, but for modern games, TT Isle of Man does a recreation of the famous mountain course that is fun to crash endlessly around. I think there are 3 of them now, 1 I remember was the best for customizing the bike controls, 2 improved a lot of little things but to me made handling overall worse in ways I couldn't nail down. 3 I haven't tried out yet.

If you spend some time in the settings and use a controller it's fun though, turn off linked brakes and make sure the pressure sensitive right trigger is bound to the front brake and you can do some approximation of trail braking.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Sagebrush posted:

Hah yeah that is probably the "motorcycle game" I've played the most. Every one of my garages in game was just filled with NRG-500s. lol
Those scare quotes are fair, the steering in GTA is not at all motorcycle-like, you can't lowside or anything. But I'm still giving GTA Online honorable mention for letting you put together a massive hoard of bikes, buy an MC clubhouse, and having [lovely] biker gang missions. The physics aren't moto-realistic but they're still very fun, and the bikes have a wide variety of handling feelings, such that the Esskey somehow nails the UJM. In races you end up choosing whether you're going to park it in the corners and sprint on something fast like a hyabusa with extended swingarm, or take something more nimble in turns but with lower top speed.

You can technically use weapons or kick while riding, but I've yet to experience anything as satisfying as the crunch of my chain against Slug's face. Road Rash II forever.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
Yeah when I get the itch to gently caress around on a video game motorcycle I just fire up GTA Online.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I keep trying those arcade games where you sit on the bike and have to lean to steer, etc. I think the last one was an official MotoGP branded one. Still hopeless at them lol.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Is Ride 4 really bad? I have seen some streamers playing it but I don't know anything about it.

My brother had one of the motorcycle sim racers for PS3 I think. I recall it being very difficult, especially if you wanted to control body position, gear, and front/rear brakes with the controller.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtWnAIcU6Cs&t=548s

Harpooned.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Chris Knight posted:

I keep trying those arcade games where you sit on the bike and have to lean to steer, etc. I think the last one was an official MotoGP branded one. Still hopeless at them lol.

The problem is they handle nothing like an actual bike, I think with a lot of these things you're better off having no real life riding skills

MetaJew posted:

Is Ride 4 really bad? I have seen some streamers playing it but I don't know anything about it.

Ride 4 is not bad, they fixed most of what was wrong with the third one. It is still incredibly Spanish/Italian in terms of the non-gameplay stuff like having idiotic menus, frequent bugs, broken AI riders, challenges you can't complete because the AI rams you before you can even start etc

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
What about R/C motorcycles though? This newly released toy looks awesome and I want to play with one (but not buy it because $$$)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2gE6Sdiaxg

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Well that looks rad as hell.

I want a street tire supermoto conversion. Can’t be that difficult

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
looks like there are aftermarket wheels/tires available for that already:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBNrS7jldb8&t=109s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sick. Also seeing that guy holding the bike, it’s a lot bigger than I assumed it was