Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Arivia posted:

fire primordial (fuckoff big elemental) under the nearby Mount Hotenow.
I'd laugh at this naming scheme but it's pretty accurate to real life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

DoubleNegative posted:

The RNG seed in BG3 is screwy. Last time I played, I rolled so many 1s that I was convinced I had somehow enabled a special Wil Wheaton simulator joke mode. It was a statistically significant number of 1s. And, no, karmic dice are off.

Speaking of the which, karmic dice are their own little thing. It prevents streaks of good and bad luck by forcing a 20 after several low rolls, and a 1 after several high rolls. Except it works both for and against you! Enemies can also benefit from the pity 20.

I had to roll against a difficulty of 0 and I rolled a nat 1

No seriously. I think the only reason this succeeded instead of failed (cause all nat 1s are supposed to be a failure) is because the game couldn't comprehend failing a roll that required 0

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Leal posted:

No seriously. I think the only reason this succeeded instead of failed (cause all nat 1s are supposed to be a failure)
Only in combat. It doesn't apply to skill rolls. This is one of those rules everyone knows wrong, because memes.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Leal posted:

I had to roll against a difficulty of 0 and I rolled a nat 1

No seriously. I think the only reason this succeeded instead of failed (cause all nat 1s are supposed to be a failure) is because the game couldn't comprehend failing a roll that required 0

That should have crashed the game.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Splicer posted:

Only in combat. It doesn't apply to skill rolls. This is one of those rules everyone knows wrong, because memes.

Nat 1s are always a failure in BG3.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

A shame they applied the widely misunderstood rule into the game.

You're telling me that statistically, a level 20 rogue who saved and traveled across the multiverse, befriended and battled gods and has a set of magical thieves' tools given to him by the king of trickery from actual hell, still fails to pick one out of every twenty locks, no matter how trivial? (Okay, bad example because rogues do get that one feat where they can't fail, but the point stands) and that a total novice can pick one out of twenty master locks just by sheer luck?

I don't know how or where I came across this, but for actual table play this is the principle I adopted: A nat 1 or nat 20 isn't an automatic failure or success for skill checks, it's just the worst or best outcome given the circumstances. The rogue that has the obvious skill to pick a lock but rolled a 1 might get distracted or get flustered for a bit and take just a little longer or make a noise. He still picks the lock, but not before the guards came around the corner and saw them.
A nat 20 on a persuasion or deception check against an elder dragon doesn't mean it's going to do what you ask of it, it just means you were amusing enough in a pet-like way it lets you live instead of biting your head off or burning you to a crisp.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Taeke posted:

You're telling me that statistically, a level 20 rogue who saved and traveled across the multiverse, befriended and battled gods and has a set of magical thieves' tools given to him by the king of trickery from actual hell, still fails to pick one out of every twenty locks, no matter how trivial? (Okay, bad example because rogues do get that one feat where they can't fail, but the point stands) and that a total novice can pick one out of twenty master locks just by sheer luck?

I don't know how or where I came across this, but for actual table play this is the principle I adopted: A nat 1 or nat 20 isn't an automatic failure or success for skill checks, it's just the worst or best outcome given the circumstances. The rogue that has the obvious skill to pick a lock but rolled a 1 might get distracted or get flustered for a bit and take just a little longer or make a noise. He still picks the lock, but not before the guards came around the corner and saw them.
A nat 20 on a persuasion or deception check against an elder dragon doesn't mean it's going to do what you ask of it, it just means you were amusing enough in a pet-like way it lets you live instead of biting your head off or burning you to a crisp.

That's similar to how Pathfinder 2e does it. A nat 1 makes your result one level worse than it might otherwise be, and a nat 20 makes it one step better. So if you would have critically failed, a nat 20 still only makes it a basic failure. If you would normally critically succeed on that number, a nat 1 makes it only a standard success.

cheat at solitaire
Jun 25, 2023
I haven't had much of a problem with RNG in BG3, except in the Gauntlet of Shar. Astarion had around +14 for traps and lockpicking.

Nat 1 failure on all but one of the traps, for the entire area. :psyduck:

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

The traps in BG3 are absolutely awful and a real pacing killer. Having to painstakingly disarm multiple closely packed mines that chain explode whilst your companions just wander all over them is terrible. The dice rolling animation whilst cute at first really slows everything down. It feels like a lot of checks could be made instant, definitely locks and traps. Like they have done with Perception.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

You can click to make the rolls instant.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

You can click to make the rolls instant.

You can click to make them faster, but no where near instant.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Astarion, gayly: A trap.
Lae'zel: *walks over the trap and dies*

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

My own character, as she scatters herself over a wide area: Perception Failed

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

The best way to check for, and disable, traps is to simply use Karlach to pick up Astarion and throw him into whatever area seems suspicious.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I juat Eldritch Blast them wherever possible and effective. EB is super satisfying anyway.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Taeke posted:

TBH this is how you should be adjudicating a lot of failed checks. Generally if someone's rolling a die the result should be choosing between two interesting outcomes. Someone trained in lockpicking failing to pick a lock isn't interesting because the obvious follow on is "Well... I try again". "Yeah this is well within your capabilities but it's going to take you at least 20 minutes, hey everyone else what are you going to do to keep the rogue safe and uninterrupted until they're finished" is a much more interesting setup for the next scene. A Rogue having a 25% chance to fail a lockpick roll doesn't have to mean they have a 25% chance to just throw up their hands and go "who knows lol". Similarly failing to stealth doesn't have to mean you were caught, it's much more fun to force the Rogue to pick what item from their toolkit they just threw across the room to make a distracting noise.

The archetypal example is jumping across a ravine - if you fail then what, your character is just dead? That's not really practical with a game with character creation as involved as D&D. Failure meaning you banged into the other wall and scrambled up the other side only to discover you just dropped something extremely important into a mile deep hole - that's interesting failure.

5e Rogues' Reliable Talent is a rules patch for the skill monkey class* to paper over the 5e designers' inability to imagine a failed roll equaling anything other than a failed attempt.

Oh and obviously if failure isn't interesting then just don't call for a roll. Your 15th level fighter says he kicks down a wooden door? He kicked down the door. He kicked a god in the face yesterday, the only reason to roll for some guy's shack is if you have something in mind for a miss.

*actually in 5e the true skill monkeys are Bards but that's a tale for another day.

Splicer has a new favorite as of 21:59 on Aug 26, 2023

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Actually yeah that does remind me of something that mildly irritated me in BG3: I came to a cottage and the door was locked, but there were clearly people inside. I could break the door down or pick the lock or nick the key from just inside the window as well I think, but I couldn't just... knock?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Splicer posted:

Oh and obviously if failure isn't interesting then just don't call for a roll. Your 15th level fighter says he kicks down a wooden door? He kicked down the door. He kicked a god in the face yesterday, the only reason to roll for some guy's shack is if you have something in mind for a miss.

"A 1, eh? Well, as you kick the door, "

https://i.imgur.com/3XmYusU.mp4

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Captain Hygiene posted:

Kicking down the wooden door to a room filled with armed gangsters is pretty much the definition of "if you have something in mind for a miss".

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Just started Armored Core 6, and I'm pretty annoyed that I can't change the UI/HUD at all.

Sure do love a slightly blueish-grey HUD on top of a slightly blueish-grey sky and a more often than not slightly blueish-grey concrete ground.

I was playing City of Heroes almost 20 years ago and that had a MASSIVELY customizable UI color and placement system. How can I not change this in a game released in 2023?

Edit: And like every other FromSoft game, they haven't figured out a way to reconnect you to an online session if you put your PlayStation to sleep mode. You always have to manually exit back to the main title screen and log back in to reconnect to online mode.

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 01:12 on Aug 27, 2023

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Captain Hygiene posted:

Alternative to that could have been, his kick is strong but the door doesn't yield and so he ends up pushing himself backwards and over the railing.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

I just beat the first boss of Armored Core 6 and I hated it. The endless barrages of missiles and the fact that you have to destroy its regenerating shield before you can do any damage to it made the fight feel too chaotic and futile. I gave it a handful of tries with my particular build before I backed out and bought a bunch of poo poo that could specifically do damage to it and respecced my OS upgrades to deal with it as well.

Why bother with expansive customization options if anything but a specific build is so sub optimal that you barely do any damage?

DrBouvenstein posted:

Edit: And like every other FromSoft game, they haven't figured out a way to reconnect you to an online session if you put your PlayStation to sleep mode. You always have to manually exit back to the main title screen and log back in to reconnect to online mode.

At this point it must either be a running joke inside of fromsoft's office or one of miyazaki's strange demands like poison swamps.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's better than Metal Gear Survive on PC, which dropped you from online and forced you to reconnect on *every alt-tab*.

Edit: Or Let It Die, which killed your character and sent you back to the hub with all their items trashed if your connection dropped.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 18:45 on Aug 27, 2023

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

DrBouvenstein posted:

*Nintendo execs clapping each other on the back and unfurling a big NOT THE WORST banner*

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

bossy lady posted:

I just beat the first boss of Armored Core 6 and I hated it. The endless barrages of missiles and the fact that you have to destroy its regenerating shield before you can do any damage to it made the fight feel too chaotic and futile. I gave it a handful of tries with my particular build before I backed out and bought a bunch of poo poo that could specifically do damage to it and respecced my OS upgrades to deal with it as well.

Why bother with expansive customization options if anything but a specific build is so sub optimal that you barely do any damage?

At this point it must either be a running joke inside of fromsoft's office or one of miyazaki's strange demands like poison swamps.

There are lots of videos of that fight with people beating the boss in 2-3 mins with different builds.

Its not that all other builds are suboptimal. Its most likely your own was.

Any attack damages its shield as long as you go with a plan in mind.

Ive noticed beginners tend to try load their ACs with too many different weapons when you only need 2 types, max 3. Dual wielding akimbo stylr is the most newbie friendly strategy.

WaltherFeng has a new favorite as of 19:16 on Aug 27, 2023

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Most bosses in AC6 are like Four Kings from DS in that they're DPS races. Sometimes you can mitigate it if you have really, really excellent reflexes but mostly the best way is to tank it. AC6 is also really weird from the design standpoint where it's half of a game about you driving a badass metal robot stomping on enemy armies and finding some fun, optional bosses to fight and half of getting absolutely stomped on with overpowered bullshit bosses. It would be a lot more fun if those bosses were put into the arena mode instead or hidden in NG+.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

WaltherFeng posted:

There are lots of videos of that fight with people beating the boss in 2-3 mins with different builds.

Its not that all other builds are suboptimal. Its most likely your own was.

Any attack damages its shield as long as you go with a plan in mind.

Ive noticed beginners tend to try load their ACs with too many different weapons when you only need 2 types, max 3. Dual wielding akimbo stylr is the most newbie friendly strategy.

I didn't mean to imply that all other builds were suboptimal as much as specific types of weapons made the boss much much easier, but I didn't have any at the time. I looked up a bunch of videos after a beat the boss and most if not all of them had some combination of pulse weapons and the sword to do quick damage to the shield. My chosen build had neither of those so I found it too hard to outpace the damage the boss was doing to me. That was kind of frustrating since up until then I was doing just fine adapting my tactics to my chosen build / weapons.

Maybe if the game had recommendations for weapon types going in? It just felt lousy going in with a build that worked fine until it didn't work at all.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

The Moon Monster posted:

You can click to make them faster, but no where near instant.

The unskippable animation of the numbers highlighting then beating the weaker numbers takes longer than the actual dice roll, I swear, and it sucks. I get it, game, I lost the dice roll let me move the gently caress on so I can re-roll.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

bossy lady posted:

I didn't mean to imply that all other builds were suboptimal as much as specific types of weapons made the boss much much easier, but I didn't have any at the time. I looked up a bunch of videos after a beat the boss and most if not all of them had some combination of pulse weapons and the sword to do quick damage to the shield. My chosen build had neither of those so I found it too hard to outpace the damage the boss was doing to me. That was kind of frustrating since up until then I was doing just fine adapting my tactics to my chosen build / weapons.

Maybe if the game had recommendations for weapon types going in? It just felt lousy going in with a build that worked fine until it didn't work at all.

Both of these weapons are optional though. You just said "why have all these customisation options"

The shield is not invulnerable to other damage types. Pulse gun is good and sword is good but you might as well dual shotgun him to death. Stacking missile launchers also work great on him.

Yes you will run into situations where your build might be suboptimal but theres never a single solution. In this game it's better to build your arsenal and never get too attached to a single build.

WaltherFeng has a new favorite as of 06:40 on Aug 28, 2023

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
It's fairly annoying that you can't swap who's talking in Baldur's Gate 3, and so sometimes there are post-fight conversations where NPCs will start talking to whoever was closest, rather than whoever you were controlling leading to situations where my low charisma/wisdom fighter gets to do all the talking! That and a few other things the game does really just kind of build the more it happens to make some things more frustrating than fun. Like, I don't know if it's something I'm doing wrong - but sometimes the game just doesn't change what character I have selected? So I'll click the icon to swap, and it just won't, I'll have to click a second time. Which sucks if I'm not paying attention because I'm trying to do something quickly, and then I accidentally do it with the wrong character.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Nuebot posted:

Like, I don't know if it's something I'm doing wrong - but sometimes the game just doesn't change what character I have selected? So I'll click the icon to swap, and it just won't, I'll have to click a second time. Which sucks if I'm not paying attention because I'm trying to do something quickly, and then I accidentally do it with the wrong character.

No, this is definitely a problem I ran into a lot, too. The UI is oddly unresponsive in that regard. Although I did learn that you can swap between party members with F1-F4. It's not a complete fix, but it does help!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
For how good all the character stories and writing is in Xenoblade Chronicles 3, it becomes really obvious that they just had nothing for Sena, even in her own side-story. For being one of the main party, she gets less to work with than several of the interchangeable secondary party members.

Every other party member has a story clearly linked into the core setting and its intricacies and weirdness around an eternal clone-war, that's paid off in their specific side-story. Roughly in the order I found them, we have...
-Eunie's being largely about the colony ranking system, tying into the fact she's the only one that learned about one of her past lives.
-Taion's is a whole thing about his two mentors, tied into meeting a clone of one that slipped through the cracks of the war.
-Mio's is about the lost friend that she has a shitton of survivor's guilt about, tied into one of Moebius' black-site operations.
-I haven't found Lanz's yet, but that's obviously gonna be about his feelings about Joran sacrificing himself for him and/or joining Moebius and/or sacrificing himself for him again. (EDIT: I have now found Lanz's, and I was wrong, it's about how Moebius looks at and handles the resistance army, linked by Lanz just generally being gung-ho about fighting. Slim justification, but works well enough.)
-And Noah's got like, four different things his could be about, but it's probably gonna be either about Consul N or his feelings for Mio, and the whole insane recurring deaths thing about that.

And in the midst of all that, Sena gets... a story entirely about the social dynamics of a city she didn't grow up in and is not part of, told through the conflict between two characters she's got no greater connection to than anyone else, that's poorly justified by way of an extremely forced comparison to Sena's feelings of inadequacy that the game never talks about for more than half a scene. It feels like they had two ideas for stories about Ghondor and none for Sena, and just solved that problem by adding both the Ghondor stories and pretending one was really about Sena, despite her barely getting any lines in it.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 13:48 on Aug 28, 2023

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Sena does have a major role in an otherwise hard to find subplot at the end of the game.

There's no egregious scene-stealing on the level of Persona 5, where a loving cat eats all of Haru's relevance to the plot. She's not even the last party-member introduced, but even the latecomers are given more to work with than her.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 13:54 on Aug 28, 2023

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Sena does have a major role in an otherwise hard to find subplot at the end of the game.

I assume later than the Colony 0 quest? I frankly have no idea how far along in the game I am (just met Queen Nia), but I could buy that one being at 'the end of the game'.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Nuebot posted:

Like, I don't know if it's something I'm doing wrong - but sometimes the game just doesn't change what character I have selected? So I'll click the icon to swap, and it just won't, I'll have to click a second time. Which sucks if I'm not paying attention because I'm trying to do something quickly, and then I accidentally do it with the wrong character.

This happens to me all the time! It usually happens after I drag a character off to separate from the group, and then I assume the game would autoselect that character and it does not.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
AC6 has someone doing their very best worst R. Lee Emery impersonation, and god-drat, will we ever be done with those?

I get it, I'm a maggot, I need to stand in line, and get hoo-rah'd, or whatever.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

AC6 is Syndicate right? I don't remember too many mechs in that one though.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
They're cleary referring to Mr. Resetti.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

kazil posted:

AC6 is Syndicate right? I don't remember too many mechs in that one though.

Armour Class 6. Its probably a balders gate thing, technically they are warforged not mechs I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

DrBouvenstein posted:

AC6 has someone doing their very best worst R. Lee Emery impersonation, and god-drat, will we ever be done with those?

I get it, I'm a maggot, I need to stand in line, and get hoo-rah'd, or whatever.

If you end up going down the path where you need to deal with them, you are really going to love the mission where he is the main target.