Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It's really funny to see "colonialism wasn't profiatble" keep popping up, because even liberal western academics can recognize that the colonies were stimulating the development of industrialism in their home countries, even if the ledgers made it look like the government was losing money. It's pure reactionary cope that keeps popping up from half-read pseudointellectuals who are looking for neat factoids to fit into a bulleted list.

Up until a couple weeks ago France was happily profiting from colonialism in Niger, thanks to all that cheap gold and uranium.

But lets face it, they were really just in Niger out of the goodness of their hearts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

DancingShade posted:

Up until a couple weeks ago France was happily profiting from colonialism in Niger, thanks to all that cheap gold and uranium.

But lets face it, they were really just in Niger out of the goodness of their hearts.

France still effectively controls the currency of 13 African countries. The plan to replace the CFA Franc with the Eco won't be implemented for years.

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

CODChimera posted:

why the actual gently caress do people, especially zelenskyy, keep talking about Israel in relation to Ukraine? its comparing bottle rockets to cruise missiles

There's a few ways to look at it

1. Israel gets as much military funding as it needs from the west, and in the US and Europe alike this state of affairs persists regardless of who is elected. That model is no doubt enticing to Ukraine - to have its military funding considered "above" politics in the west.

2. Once in a while, when courting support in the global south, Ukraine attempts to tie their current war with broader struggles against colonialism. This... doesn't really work, and the global south mostly sees through it. That's because Ukraine simulatenously seeks integration into Europe - in other words, they seek to be part of the traditional colonial bloc, which despite liberal assurances to the contrary still persists to this day. It's taken on new forms but the net appropriation of resources foundational to colonialism very much still exists

Anyway, as stated earlier in the thread, the support for Israel from Ukraine is an assurance to their European and American patrons that the "anti-colonial" rhetoric they occasionally dabble in is just that, rhetoric.

3. Simplest explanation of all, they're both explicitly fascist governments.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

fizzy posted:

Bad news for Ukraine - Der Spiegel's report on Ukrainian culpability for the Nord Stream pipeline explosion is slowly dripping into US mainstream media, priming the ground for the US and NATO to cut Ukraine loose on grounds of Ukraine causing economic damage to Europe

More like part of Germany and SPD is building their own exit ramp in case the US doesn't want to call it quit on schedule and want to drag EU through war for 2 more years. Watch for some green party scandal in the future too.

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"
Germany is a vassal state without independent agency. They will do as the US tells them. There will be no exit ramp for them that isn't approved by the US

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Oh they can go against US wishes, there will just be huge blowback in one form or another. Likely appearing to be totally unrelated to current issues.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0T7Itt9mqtA

The first ten minutes, oof.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Once more it's staggering to see how the sausage gets made in terms of these media narratives and how they trickle down to our coverage over the course of days, I guess journalists these days just read kinda slow. Taking Robotyne means Ukrainians have now "punched through the worst of the Russian defensive lines".

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Delta-Wye posted:

this part is also obviously correct but the lecturers tone was confusing: 'you perhaps know that, for a communist, marxism is a science not an art. and therefore you've got to have tables and graphs. you look at karl marx and his three volumes of tables and graphs trying to prove his point. well, ook'

he's also wrong. marx does not use three volumes of tables and graphs to prove his point, he describes three volumes of tables and graphs to prove his point

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

SplitSoul posted:

Once more it's staggering to see how the sausage gets made in terms of these media narratives and how they trickle down to our coverage over the course of days, I guess journalists these days just read kinda slow. Taking Robotyne means Ukrainians have now "punched through the worst of the Russian defensive lines".

Yeah, the irony is the defensive line is actually west/south/east of Rototyne and everything they have been fighting through has been a buffer zone. If anything the hard part begins.

Also, that video was good for the most part, it isn't really right about the labor market through since it ignores how much Central Asian labor that is coming in that could easily offset the situation. Westerns don't think other countries can have imported labor as well usually.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 13:30 on Aug 28, 2023

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

https://twitter.com/I_Katchanovski/status/1695810841373749578?t=uiKid_u5e-kZKKTqYsWL_Q&s=19

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ardennes posted:

Yeah, the irony is the defensive line is actually west/south/east of Rototyne and everything they have been fighting through has been a buffer zone. If anything the hard part begins.

Also, that video was good for the most part, it isn't really right about the labor market through since it ignores how much Central Asian labor that is coming in that could easily offset the situation. Westerns don't think other countries can have imported labor as well usually.

Good news for Ukraine - Ukraine chose a very good point to attack: The defensive lines to the east and west are far further apart, making it harder to just hammer all of them down with artillery.

This puts the Russian armed forces in a bind: If they don't defend that part, more and more of their entire frontline will turn into indefensible traps. But if they do, concentrated Ukrainian artillery can just destroy them where they are.

In short, if Ukrainian forces can keep up momentum, most of Russia's defense lines will become useless.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Ardennes posted:

Nonsense, I am assured that the worst fighting is over, should be smooth sailing from here on out now that the primary Russian defensive line has crumbled into dust.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

https://www.foxnews.com/world/ukraine-war-takes-dramatic-turn-russian-soldiers-push-recapture-northeast-kharkiv-territory

Narrative continues to turn

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Has Russia considered only take exactly the same amount of new land as the area they lose in Robotino? Just to gently caress with the weekly territory gain websites?

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

The push toward Kupyansk has been going on for nearly 2 months. It's telling that the pro-Ukraine accounts on social media barely talk about it.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
While I am sympathetic to the normal Ukrainians getting caught up in all this, I am very much looking forward to the blut und boden freaks being tossed aside like the trash they are

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

stephenthinkpad posted:

Has Russia considered only take exactly the same amount of new land as the area they lose in Robotino? Just to gently caress with the weekly territory gain websites?

probably not no

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

whoops all nazis

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

text editor posted:

While I am sympathetic to the normal Ukrainians getting caught up in all this, I am very much looking forward to the blut und boden freaks being tossed aside like the trash they are

Bad news for text editor's expectation that the blut und boden freaks will be tossed aside like trash - Judging by the historical treatment of the surviving Wehrmacht senior commanders at the end of World War 2, the blut und boden freaks will most likely be rewarded with senior positions in NATO.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

God drat at least iron your flag out before the top fascist shows up.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
who signed it and drew the heart on it tho?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Robotino is basically the same as the previous town that got demolished and ukraine claims was liberated. It doesnt exist right now and its just another no mans land.

Videos of bradleys trying to move infantry around the town getting destroyed by artillery. Russians claiming that the amount of action theyve been seeing is decreasing. Ukraine is doing suicide rushes for news cycles and each time they happen they last for less time.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

VoicesCanBe posted:

There's a few ways to look at it

1. Israel gets as much military funding as it needs from the west, and in the US and Europe alike this state of affairs persists regardless of who is elected. That model is no doubt enticing to Ukraine - to have its military funding considered "above" politics in the west.

2. Once in a while, when courting support in the global south, Ukraine attempts to tie their current war with broader struggles against colonialism. This... doesn't really work, and the global south mostly sees through it. That's because Ukraine simulatenously seeks integration into Europe - in other words, they seek to be part of the traditional colonial bloc, which despite liberal assurances to the contrary still persists to this day. It's taken on new forms but the net appropriation of resources foundational to colonialism very much still exists

Anyway, as stated earlier in the thread, the support for Israel from Ukraine is an assurance to their European and American patrons that the "anti-colonial" rhetoric they occasionally dabble in is just that, rhetoric.

3. Simplest explanation of all, they're both explicitly fascist governments.

Although similar to 3 there is also 4. "how dare you accuse us of antisemitism and nazism, we love Israel", the go to defence of every 21st century fascist

samogonka
Nov 5, 2016

fits my needs posted:

who signed it and drew the heart on it tho?

Zalushny signed the flag

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
hang in there, robertino!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Lostconfused posted:

It's explained in this video, but I'm just posting it for the timestamp where one of FF's catch phrases comes up https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zinPbUZUHDE&t=2073s

lmao at the questions section where a guy with the most German accent possible is mad that he's saying the wehrmacht sucked

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

samogonka posted:

Zalushny signed the flag

interesting, and this is the guy thats been floated for replacing zelensky?
wow

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

fits my needs posted:

interesting, and this is the guy thats been floated for replacing zelensky?
wow

lol things are going to get so bad there

even more lol if Russia loses this, Ukraine gets integrated into the EU and then gets to be this insane nexus of terrorist nazis. I think it'd be a very short time from integration to things starting to explode in the Baltics and then Germany

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/KetracelBlack/status/1695689530295156794

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

KomradeX posted:

Lol they're letting the British run this war. No wonder its the Somme all over again

I will try not to write a thousand words on this but what we think of the Battle of the Somme was mostly solidified in the 1960's and is a cultural perspective, not a military one. On the operational-tactical level, the Battle of the Somme was a generally well executed battle where tactical objectives were secured during the offensive phase. Journals and personal and war diaries attest that soldiers generally felt positive about the direction of the battle and that the overwhelming artillery preparation, on the balance, did its job.

The problem, which occurred in all successful Entente battles of the war, is that the Germans counterattacked ferociously, and as horse-drawn artillery could not be brought up through the terrain of craters, wire and trenches the infantry had secured, there was a limit to how far British troops could advance - both because they would not have artillery support while capturing positions beyond that, and because they could not hold those positions from counterattacks without support.

This is where the tank came in, and why everything changed after Cambrai. A tank is, essentially, a way to get a gun and machine guns up without being manhandled or drawn by horses, and protected from the continuous German shelling of rear areas, which killed teams of horses. It is also, as you know, protected from direct fire, which meant that it could directly support attacks while exposed to enemy fire, which field guns could not and for which machine guns teams paid a heavy price. The tanks weren't ready by the Somme, and so once the limit of British artillery coverage was reached, there was no way to press on.

Now, the Ukrainians don't have that first bit - they've never made the kind of artillery preparations required to break-in. All of their attacks are like the British attacks in the end of July, men against fire. Instead of their guns not being able to move through no man's land, they just don't have them.

I think that's worse honestly, because Haig wouldn't fight the battle the Ukrainians are now, nor would Currie, Joffre, Petain.

e: also the entire rational for the Somme offensive was that the Shell Crisis had finally been resolved. The British built small gauge railroads to bring up frankly staggering amounts of shells to support the attack.

This is a dump of QF 18pdr brass from a single battle, Nord-pas-de-Calais.

Here is just one of many from the opening days on The Somme.

Each 18pdr shell had a fill of either 375 balls, in the case of shrapnel, or 13 oz of HE. In 1918 WP and gas were issued for the 18pdr, because during the increasingly successful Entente attacks the field guns had to be relied up more for the advance, as in the Hundred Days, but on the Somme the medium and heavy guns delivered smoke and gas.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 14:44 on Aug 28, 2023

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

Regarde Aduck posted:

lol things are going to get so bad there

even more lol if Russia loses this, Ukraine gets integrated into the EU and then gets to be this insane nexus of terrorist nazis. I think it'd be a very short time from integration to things starting to explode in the Baltics and then Germany

It's already really bad.

Even in their dream scenario of getting back 1991 borders, they are going to be a neoliberal hellhole (again, the "Delaware of Europe" if you will). There's nothing they can do to reverse the catastrophic population decline that was bad even before 2014 made it worse.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Federation Starship USS Shukhevych NCC-1488

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Good, now name the next ship Hilary.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

gonna get the real facts on the ground from a reputable source

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
IMPROVING STRATEGIC OUTCOMES FOR THE 14TH BLACK CRUSADE WITH APPLIED MANAGEMENT METHODOLOGIES

IN THE GRIM DARKNESS OF THE FAR FUTURE, THERE EXISTS ONLY SYNERGY

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

stephenthinkpad posted:

Good, now name the next ship Hilary.

Positron Go! through the wormhole.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

OctaMurk posted:

IMPROVING STRATEGIC OUTCOMES FOR THE 14TH BLACK CRUSADE WITH APPLIED MANAGEMENT METHODOLOGIES

IN THE GRIM DARKNESS OF THE FAR FUTURE, THERE EXISTS ONLY SYNERGY

Is the 13th Black Crusade over? Does the creation of the Cicitrix Maledictum mark the end of the 13th Black Crusade, or does it mark the beginning of the 13th Black Crsuade switching from military operation to a kind of eternal mindset as Chaos forces rampage throughout the galaxy?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

text editor posted:

While I am sympathetic to the normal Ukrainians getting caught up in all this, I am very much looking forward to the blut und boden freaks moving to Edmonton, getting appointed to Canadian museum boards, having monuments funded and influencing Canadian foreign policy for a half century

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

VoicesCanBe posted:

The push toward Kupyansk has been going on for nearly 2 months. It's telling that the pro-Ukraine accounts on social media barely talk about it.

The mentions I’ve seen are related to NATO commanders scolding the AFU for even assigning troops to that front, when every single soldier should be in the south now gogogo