Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Mister Bates posted:

lmao

'it's relatively small, also it does not include any of the heaviest or bulkiest components, which will have to be added separately'
I’ll bet that it also needs external cooling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
lmao the most morally bankrupt YT tech clickbait-soyfacer wouldn't claim the size of the CPU package is the actual size of the built computer, even as a joke

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Check out my miniature laser the size of a car engine that requires three large diesel turbines to scorch car paint at 2km.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
gonna sell the US government a box of screws and call it the world's smallest and most compact laser. it isn't a complete weapon system, more of a plug-in component. that'll be 40 million US dollars please.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
The battery system it would have to hook up to would not only be enormous but the technology doesn't exist yet afaik

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That's all I can think of on short notice

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Slavvy posted:

Dominance
"Reduced Manning"
Next Generation
Adaptive
Platform
Objective
Integrated

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

multi dimensional

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Lethal, compact, stealth

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Slavvy posted:

Free should be labeled “cost plus contract”

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Feel like it should be at least three words per square.

There's no reason to split full spectrum dominance into full spectrum and dominance.

Maybe an exception could be made for portmanteau words so you only need something like advanced warfighter.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Lostconfused posted:

Feel like it should be at least three words per square.

There's no reason to split full spectrum dominance into full spectrum and dominance.

Maybe an exception could be made for portmanteau words so you only need something like advanced warfighter.

"Dominance" is a buzzword that shows up attached to everything

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Slavvy posted:

I dated a colored lady once and she referred to her denim skirt as jeans and got very angry when I questioned that

You're supposed call it the J-word.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Slavvy posted:

Joint

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!

Slavvy posted:

A.I.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The Oldest Man posted:

"Dominance" is a buzzword that shows up attached to everything

Sounds like that should go in the free spot then.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Don't mind if I do, thank you.

Slavvy posted:

Off the shelf
Near-peer conflict
Soldier proof

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
Women- and Minority-Owned Businesses

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Who do you think the troops "serve" with their service?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

There we go that's the limit of my efforting

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

quote:

https://sam.gov/opp/54586656144548e598d75adea4d129b7/view
The Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) is soliciting innovative and revolutionary approaches to design integrated, multi-service commercial nodes for mass-efficient lunar infrastructure supported by analytical frameworks intended for future use by the United States and all nations with a declared commitment to the peaceful use of the Moon per the Artemis Accords.

LunA-10 will help to enable the near-term maturation of lunar technologies and capabilities that will be necessary for future architecture objectives. The study will result in the design of system-level solutions that fuse multiple necessary lunar services and deliver a quantitatively defendable analytical framework for future lunar infrastructure that leverages technology overlap between potential services to the maximum extent possible. More than one framework is anticipated. Performers will create new benchmarks and metrics defining performance parameters for each integrated system solution, directly tied to an aggregate “critical mass” for a self-sustaining, monetizable, commercially owned-and-operated lunar infrastructure. Performers will ultimately create a System Concept Review (SCR) level design of the integrated systems, identify key enabling technologies or necessary innovation in quantitative terms, and analyze cost, logistical and technological challenges facing the aggregate frameworks thus composed. Input is sought from both lunar technology providers and lunar technology users. Solutions that are stand-alone or are not designed to integrate with other concepts or larger architectures are specifically excluded.

it's of critical national security importance that we fund this research into [checks notes] sugar plantations on the moon

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Frosted Flake posted:

We just had an accident on the ranges this week where it turned out CASEVAC from the Tactical Helicopter Squadron is not allowed to land at the civilian hospital but Ornge (formerly Ontario Air Ambulance Corporation and Ontario Air Ambulance Service) is not allowed to land out in the training area, so a ground ambulance from the Field Ambulance had to take the casualty to the helipad to get picked up by Ornge.

This is apparently due to a rule that says the military cannot cut into the “business” of the civilian service by direct MEDEVAC or CASEVAC flights to hospital.

dying for ornges helicopter profits!

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Slavvy posted:

VTOL

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Free! being an actual field owns, ngl

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Slavvy posted:

When you stop and think about it its amazing how many of these could apply to a tin hulled rowboat. Give it a single coat of "stealth paint" and sell for 100k each as a covert operations vehicle. Oars are extra.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

This could go in the asia thread too, but either way the Japanese rearmament continues. With Mitsubishi continuing to get those sweet government handouts.

https://www.navalnews.com/naval-news/2023/08/japans-mod-awards-contract-for-new-ffm-vessels/

quote:

According to the announcement, Mitsubishi Heavy Industries (MHI) will be the prime contractor and Japan Marine United (JMU) will be the subcontractor for the “New FFM” (新型FFM or Shingata FFM) program

According to the document released by the MoD, the new FFM will feature many additional equipment. First, a Vertical Launch System (VLS) will be installed at the front of the ship from the start. It is expected to be equipped with Raytheon’s ESSM or the “new ship-to-air guided missile“ (or simply A-SAM) for anti-air warfare (AAW), and the Type 07 VL-ASROC for anti-submarine warfare (ASW). It will also be equipped with a device to guide ship-to-air missiles. Thus, the new FFM will be able to counter enemy missiles and submarines at greater distances than the in-service Mogami-class. The new frigates will have the same combat capabilities as existing non-AEGIS destroyers.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

DancingShade posted:

When you stop and think about it its amazing how many of these could apply to a tin hulled rowboat. Give it a single coat of "stealth paint" and sell for 100k each as a covert operations vehicle. Oars are extra.

Idk if you saw how much the RHIBs Ukraine has been using to gently caress around Crimea cost, but yes someone has thought of that.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Lostconfused posted:

This could go in the asia thread too, but either way the Japanese rearmament continues. With Mitsubishi continuing to get those sweet government handouts.

https://www.navalnews.com/naval-news/2023/08/japans-mod-awards-contract-for-new-ffm-vessels/

totally will not go the same fate of their cancelled MRJ jet program or blown up rockets

Palladium has issued a correction as of 00:40 on Aug 29, 2023

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.

Slavvy posted:

Networked!!!

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Slavvy posted:

Mission-critical
Survivability
Field-tested
Engagement
Tubes full of seamen

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
‘fires’

I hate that one

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Frosted Flake posted:

Idk if you saw how much the RHIBs Ukraine has been using to gently caress around Crimea cost, but yes someone has thought of that.

Pedal powered canoes shaped like giant pink flamingos for tactical insertion. They'll never expect it thus granting us the element of surprise.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Slavvy posted:

the correct version is to leave this unfinished and sell the squares required to complete it in a cost plus basis over the next decade before canceling the project

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

It happened again

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
grognerds!! :argh:

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

KomradeX posted:

It happened again

evergreen post

https://twitter.com/HannahPThomas/status/1696936240040321474

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

this loving whips

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

I love being ruled by sundowned living corpses, it owns

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
they're... they're going to burn the whole thing down on their way out, aren't they??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Delta-Wye posted:

they're... they're going to burn the whole thing down on their way out, aren't they??

somehow their replacements are worse.