Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favourite Kirby Super Star power?
This poll is closed.
Beam 3 1.79%
Bomb 3 1.79%
Cook 1 0.60%
Copy 3 1.79%
Crash 1 0.60%
Cutter 5 2.98%
Fighter 5 2.98%
Fire 3 1.79%
Hammer 13 7.74%
Ice 3 1.79%
Jet 3 1.79%
Mike (sic) 14 8.33%
Mirror 11 6.55%
Ninja 5 2.98%
Paint 0 0%
Parasol 2 1.19%
Plasma 4 2.38%
Sleep 9 5.36%
Starship 5 2.98%
Stone 6 3.57%
Suplex 22 13.10%
Sword 20 11.90%
Wheel 6 3.57%
Wing 6 3.57%
Yo-Yo 15 8.93%
Total: 168 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Ok how big his rear end tho

Edit: I will not quote for context

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

it's only logical to believe in the rear end, for you have little to lose and everything to gain if the rear end indeed exists after all

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

External Organs posted:

I'm playing through the Star Trek Resurgence game with my wife and it's really fun to play it that way. Although right now it's very funny-- you have two characters you control, and one is tasked with galactic ethical intruige while the other one is like, should I gently caress this girl??
what's the problem, this seems totally accurate to every tng episodes a and b plots

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Man of all the things FromSoft games have had in them that 'felt bad', nothing feels quite as bad as AC6's ammo count.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Skill issue

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You can run out of ammo?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

Sakurazuka posted:

You can run out of ammo?

It refills when you die so it's probably never come up for you :smug:

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

homeless snail posted:

what's the problem, this seems totally accurate to every tng episodes a and b plots

This is an EXCELLENT point.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

You can run out of ammo?

yeah lol I was always running out of ammo during the chapter 1 boss, just depends what you use I guess

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I've found that if you're running out of ammo, it probably means you're wasting it by plinking away at armor with bullets or something while doing very little damage. I had that issue with Smart Cleaner until I figured out the intended strategy.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I beat AC6's first boss. Think I'll go do something less intense for a while like cliff diving or fighting lions.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

Volte posted:

I've found that if you're running out of ammo, it probably means you're wasting it by plinking away at armor with bullets or something while doing very little damage. I had that issue with Smart Cleaner until I figured out the intended strategy.

Depends on the level too though. Many times there's no resupply so if you explore and fight everything then lol.

Hell, some stages don't even have checkpoints period. Better not die on the last guy.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Three levels down in DuckTales Remastered. I think my biggest frustration with the game, other than still having a lives system, is all the hidden healing items. I'm always finding them when I'm at full health and getting annoyed cause I can't save them for when I need them.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1022287549940637756/1145717028779458650/18a3c61acef24-master_playlist.mp4

I made sure to record my kick kill this time.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/diversion_inc/status/1695830758760354270

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
is that real

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

hey it's fallout 4

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I too love Normal Human Speak while standing perfectly still

Man Larian just really set the bar high for NPC dialogue interactions, didn't they?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Todd Howard..... the mad genius has done it again

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Highly impressive, I grant you the callsign SICKNASTY.

Foul Fowl posted:

is that real

I haven't seen anyone who would know dispute it yet, and since it's running off the same engine they've been using forever its not too surprising that they're still doing the awkward zoom in on dialogue thing. Still funny if they haven't figured out how to do good lip synching though.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
You can't fool me that's clearly Star Citizen A Game That Exists.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I thought the awkward zoom-in on potato-faced NPC thing was some kind of engine limitation but apparently it's an actual aesthetic choice.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

njsykora posted:

Highly impressive, I grant you the callsign SICKNASTY.

I haven't seen anyone who would know dispute it yet, and since it's running off the same engine they've been using forever its not too surprising that they're still doing the awkward zoom in on dialogue thing. Still funny if they haven't figured out how to do good lip synching though.

will be extremely sick if it's just fallout 4 but more fast travel. bethesda are geniuses.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

exquisite tea posted:

I thought the awkward zoom-in on potato-faced NPC thing was some kind of engine limitation but apparently it's an actual aesthetic choice.

Outer Worlds made sure to replicate it too

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

That one was baffling to me because it wasn't even a Bethesda game. There was no reason to do it.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I'm unironically glad they dropped the shot/reverse style of dialogue from Fallout 4 and went back to the head-on camera and unvoiced protagonist. It didn't feel right. I'm hopeful for Starfield specifically because it looks like it's going back to their roots in all their janky glory. They might be making the same game for the 5th or 6th time, but I can't think of any other major studio that has really attempted the true sandbox open world like Bethesda does it (other than Obsidian with New Vegas) rather than the god forsaken Ubisoft style. The latest gen Zeldas are the closest I can think of but they don't exactly scratch the same itch.

Infinitum posted:

Man Larian just really set the bar high for NPC dialogue interactions, didn't they?
They apparently mocapped actors delivering most of the dialogue which really brings it to life. But of all the dumb "please don't look at this as the new standard" discourse around BG3, that's the one area where I actually agree. I already thought that having all dialogue be fully voiced was a big step down in video game dialogue writing. I can't imagine full mocap dialogue not having a similar effect.

exquisite tea posted:

That one was baffling to me because it wasn't even a Bethesda game. There was no reason to do it.
They were trying to copy the aesthetic of New Vegas but forgot to put in any of the stuff that made New Vegas good

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Volte posted:

I'm unironically glad they dropped the shot/reverse style of dialogue from Fallout 4 and went back to the head-on camera and unvoiced protagonist. It didn't feel right. I'm hopeful for Starfield specifically because it looks like it's going back to their roots in all their janky glory. They might be making the same game for the 5th or 6th time, but I can't think of any other major studio that has really attempted the true sandbox open world like Bethesda does it (other than Obsidian with New Vegas) rather than the god forsaken Ubisoft style. The latest gen Zeldas are the closest I can think of but they don't exactly scratch the same itch.

They apparently mocapped actors delivering most of the dialogue which really brings it to life. But of all the dumb "please don't look at this as the new standard" discourse around BG3, that's the one area where I actually agree. I already thought that having all dialogue be fully voiced was a big step down in video game dialogue writing. I can't imagine full mocap dialogue not having a similar effect.

They were trying to copy the aesthetic of New Vegas but forgot to put in any of the stuff that made New Vegas good

BG3 mocap is really nice and you can definitely the the difference between your generic character silently emoting by awkwardly switching between preset face poses, and the characters that had actors acting. I don't know if Starfield world and characters are interesting enough to bother actors with, but done right it can add a lot to interactions with NPCs. But dead eyes bland NPCs you don't care about at all is their signature move and hard to imagine something changed their mind on it now.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I usually dislike fully voice acted dialogue to be honest. The Zelda style is what I like.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
honestly if you're excited for starfield i dont think the guards acting exactly like the guards in Oblivion and Skyrim is a negative

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Give me BanjoKazooie nonsense sounds. I want to walk up to the head of research or whatever and as they discuss the latest findings of space plague, hear "buh boi buh boo boo buh buh bih buh"

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The trouble with bj-style "buh buh buh" is the text speed

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Foul Fowl posted:

will be extremely sick if it's just fallout 4 but more fast travel. bethesda are geniuses.

lol if they said it's the Creation Engine 2, but it's effectively a 1.5 stop gap

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
When it comes to judging games I try to meet them on their level, and Bethesda's level of "the characters are barely animated avatars saying their dialogue directly at you" is fine to me because I signed up for that. I much prefer that to games that purport give me something more but end up failing spectacularly, e.g. Horizon Zero Dawn's absolutely deranged facial animation system. I would literally prefer the Dark Souls style of "mouth moving animation cycle that plays during dialogue" over that.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

90% of dark souls mouths don't move either

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Jay Rust posted:

90% of dark souls mouths don't move either
Yeah true, I specifically had Andre in my mind but I think he might be one of the only ones

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

The trouble with bj-style "buh buh buh" is the text speed

"buh buh buh boh buh bih" *press the skip text button* "bibudidbubidodobibodibidi"

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Feels Villeneuve posted:

honestly if you're excited for starfield i dont think the guards acting exactly like the guards in Oblivion and Skyrim is a negative

halt halt halt halt halt halt halt halt

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Peanuts adult noises unless you're talking within your main character party.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

RBA Starblade posted:

halt halt halt halt halt halt halt halt

You violated the law. Pay the court a fine, or serve your sentence. Your stolen goods are now forfeit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Also kinda dumb how you can't explore a whole planet - you can pick a place to land, and the area around the landing spot gets auto-genned, but you can't leave that area unless you launch from your ship then pick a different area to land in.