Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Carthag Tuek posted:

for a hot second i was like "didnt we already get like 3 pinocchio movies"

anyway trailer looks like theyre going for a death of stalin vibe? not familiar enough with the actors to be able to tell if thats gonna work or not

It's from the director of Spencer and Jackie so it probably won't be a comedy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

live with fruit posted:

It's from the director of Spencer and Jackie

I'm listening...

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I'm listening...

He also directed No and produced A Fantastic Woman so he's probably the only filmmaker with the clout to make a movie about Pinochet being an immortal vampire.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

live with fruit posted:

and produced A Fantastic Woman

I did not know this. Very cool.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
"Pablo Larraín's new film is a satire that portrays a universe in which Augusto Pinochet, a 250-year-old vampire who, tired of being remembered as a thief, decides to die."

What?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
He's worked with darkly humorous stuff before.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
This feels like a sillier version of The Club, which was about cover ups by the Catholic church.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Peanut President posted:

"Pablo Larraín's new film is a satire that portrays a universe in which Augusto Pinochet, a 250-year-old vampire who, tired of being remembered as a thief, decides to die."

What?

The fact that it's called "The Count" makes me think there's an intentional choice here, drawing parallels between Pinochet and Vlad the Impaler. Like what if we mythologized modern monsters the way we do with historical ones? Which is pretty excellent satire imo.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

I mean Johnathan Harker in Dracula was a lawyer who traveled to help Dracula settle his affairs. It's not a huge stretch.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Larrain's dad is a big shot in Pinochet's unofficial party so he's definitely working through some stuff.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I like that Snyder trailer, though I’ll join the “looks like ai made it” camp. Also, the movie seems to have taken the idea that the near future looks like rural Oklahoma from Interstellar and Looper (also Signs, but that doesn’t count).

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Mokotow posted:

I like that Snyder trailer, though I’ll join the “looks like ai made it” camp. Also, the movie seems to have taken the idea that the near future looks like rural Oklahoma from Interstellar and Looper (also Signs, but that doesn’t count).

Huh, didn't read Rebel Moon as near future. That galactic empire is coming along quick, I guess.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Sir Kodiak posted:

Huh, didn't read Rebel Moon as near future. That galactic empire is coming along quick, I guess.

Sigh. This is the result of posting while feeding a toddler at 3 a.m.

Rebel moon trailer looks like AI. FOE has a familiar near-future setting.

:tootzzz:

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Why does it look like AI if they have actual faces and any kind of coherent visual?

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

AI is good with faces I think. The trailer is highly stylized and uses a limited color palette. The characters are really out there. It lends itself to the fun notion it’s AI generated, which I don’t think is actually the case, but had it been AI generated, that’s how I’d imagine I’d look.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

bows1 posted:

Why does it look like AI if they have actual faces and any kind of coherent visual?

At the risk of igniting more Snyder-chat, I agree with the OP. The visual design feels at once very generic and incoherent, as though they’ve edited together several different sci fi movies into one trailer. Contrast that with something like Avatar, where there’s no way to confuse it with any other film (or vice versa). That new Gareth Edwards movie, similarly, has a sense of scale and proportion that is a real hallmark of Edwards’ while also feeling like it’s using an internally coherent design aesthetic that is discernible from shot-to-shot. I really don’t mean to be snarky when I say that the Rebel Moon trailer feels like several different films edited together in like a “supercut” of cool moments.

Some people seem to really enjoy Snyder’s aesthetic which is very pronounced here, but to me it feels very uninspired in a way that evokes for me certain CGI heavy flops like recent LOTR stuff, or The Golden Compass. The CGI is both unimpressive for being unconvincing, and doesn’t seem to have anything distinctive about it. That’s just my opinion! I get that other people in this thread vehemently disagree. I hope it’s good and that I’m proven wrong!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
It's several different planets / cultures, isn't it? That was the vibe I got anyway.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Mokotow posted:

AI is good with faces I think. The trailer is highly stylized and uses a limited color palette. The characters are really out there. It lends itself to the fun notion it’s AI generated, which I don’t think is actually the case, but had it been AI generated, that’s how I’d imagine I’d look.

ChatGPT, generate me a couple of low-value sentences from a person who doesn't know what AI looks like and just wants to say "I didn't like this".

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Man, "looks like AI" comments are going to get really exhausting in the near future, eh?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Bugblatter posted:

Man, "looks like AI" comments are going to get really exhausting in the near future, eh?

Think of it as the new "it looks like a video game" (because that's what it is).

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Bugblatter posted:

hmm great point, another good reason to ban AI forever 🫡

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Bugblatter posted:

As exhausting as "looks like anime" comments get throughout the forums as a form a criticism.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

ChatGPT, generate me a couple of low-value sentences from a person who doesn't know what AI looks like and just wants to say "I didn't like this".

Well that’s a lovely thing to say to someone

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I see what they mean, especially the landscapes and backgrounds. AI-generated art is good at greebling and often uses that kind of subdued modern palette, presumably because that's what they've been trained on, but it does mean shots like the ones below now look suspect in a way they didn't before:

Technically it's more that AI art ("art") looks like this movie, but because there's a lot of procedurally generated imagery now, and it's a hot topic, it's understandable that it's the first association someone might make when they see something like the above.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The first 2 look like old-school videogame FMVs to me rather than AI but I suppose I'm dating myself (the only person who will...)

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Mokotow posted:

Well that’s a lovely thing to say to someone

Ok, here's the long version. You said the trailer was "highly stylized and uses a limited color palette. The characters are really out there." The question is: why does that make you think of AI? "AI is highly stylized" is nonsense, because it can have any style and can and has won different photography and art contests. AI doesn't have a limited color palette. AI characters tend to be "out there" in the sense that they have very obvious fuckups of weird limbs, distorted hands, weird costume gribbles that go nowhere and do nothing - an air of unreality. AI composition tends to be unreal or surrealist because its a dumbass computer that doesn't understand real relationships between objects.

So, here's Amazon using actual AI to make an ad:

Please note that it got the 50s postcard style fairly close! At a glance I would think that is passable. But of course if you look at the picture for more than two seconds it's loving bizarre and totally wack. No human would paint this. The cars are off, the building has no windows, the people are walking on a sidewalk that's much wider than the road - that's just the obvious stuff that jumps out, that's what bad art that was "made by AI" looks like.

What parts of the trailer have that surrealist lack of object coherency? None. What you're saying is "it's highly stylized and uses a limited color palette and the characters are really out there" and it's like, ok? Yes to the first, not really to the second, and the third just shows a lack of imagination. Snyder is dealing in pastiche here; this is his Star Wars/Seven Samurai/Heavy Metal Magazine mashup and quite frankly it looks it. He Man was about five times weirder than this is and it was an 80s toy for little kids. Does He-Man look like an AI made it?

Edit: having said that this:

looks atrocious and actually DOES look like a video game. Awful.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Aug 28, 2023

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Ok, here's the long version. You said the trailer was "highly stylized and uses a limited color palette. The characters are really out there." The question is: why does that make you think of AI? "AI is highly stylized" is nonsense, because it can have any style and can and has won different photography and art contests. AI doesn't have a limited color palette. AI characters tend to be "out there" in the sense that they have very obvious fuckups of weird limbs, distorted hands, weird costume gribbles that go nowhere and do nothing - an air of unreality. AI composition tends to be unreal or surrealist because its a dumbass computer that doesn't understand real relationships between objects.

So, here's Amazon using actual AI to make an ad:

Please note that it got the 50s postcard style fairly close! At a glance I would think that is passable. But of course if you look at the picture for more than two seconds it's loving bizarre and totally wack. No human would paint this. The cars are off, the building has no windows, the people are walking on a sidewalk that's much wider than the road - that's just the obvious stuff that jumps out, that's what bad art that was "made by AI" looks like.

What parts of the trailer have that surrealist lack of object coherency? None. What you're saying is "it's highly stylized and uses a limited color palette and the characters are really out there" and it's like, ok? Yes to the first, not really to the second, and the third just shows a lack of imagination. Snyder is dealing in pastiche here; this is his Star Wars/Seven Samurai/Heavy Metal Magazine mashup and quite frankly it looks it. He Man was about five times weirder than this is and it was an 80s toy for little kids.

Hey thanks, that’s a cool analysis!

I see you’re point and I recognize saying this looks like made by AI is wrong.

Lack of object coherency is a great way of spotting AI, and that Fallout card is a great example. Furthermore, AI-generated videos have a few visual quirks and if you see a few YT videos like Wes Anderson does Star Wars or Balenciaga but with Harry Potter, it’s easy to spot it’s AI, and this trailer does not have these traits.

However I’ll stand by my statement the color composition or theming in some of the scenes, especially the ones that don’t focus on people, to look too artificial, which the previous poster has made a great job if showing. To re-phrase it, it could have been done with AI, and to supplement with your point of view, but only if there’d be more disjoined crap in them.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
I can't tell who in this thread is doing a bit anymore. This is what Snyder has taken from us.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

ozmunkeh posted:

I can't tell who in this thread is doing a bit anymore. This is what Snyder has taken from us.

We're all doing a bit because all posters in CD are actually sock puppets run by me, Zack Snyder

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Mokotow posted:

Hey thanks, that’s a cool analysis!

I see you’re point and I recognize saying this looks like made by AI is wrong.

Lack of object coherency is a great way of spotting AI, and that Fallout card is a great example. Furthermore, AI-generated videos have a few visual quirks and if you see a few YT videos like Wes Anderson does Star Wars or Balenciaga but with Harry Potter, it’s easy to spot it’s AI, and this trailer does not have these traits.

However I’ll stand by my statement the color composition or theming in some of the scenes, especially the ones that don’t focus on people, to look too artificial, which the previous poster has made a great job if showing. To re-phrase it, it could have been done with AI, and to supplement with your point of view, but only if there’d be more disjoined crap in them.

Thank you to Megaman for writing the original post, and this response for understanding. Megaman said what I didnt take the time too.

The movie doesn't look special in any way but it doesnt look like AI .

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

shoeberto posted:

We're all doing a bit because all posters in CD are actually sock puppets run by me, Zack Snyder
No wonder every goon here thinks 300 was a brilliant work of political satire

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Stupid rear end poo poo like "The Scargiver" make my eyes roll so loving far back into my head I can't take it. Complete 13 year old poo poo.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

"Death Star" and "Princess Leia", who does this guy think he is?!??!!?

Honestly the real problem here seems to be that this trailer is unadulterated and unashamed hyperstylized pulp shlock, and it's always been true that if you're not on that wavelength this stuff looks unimaginably stupid.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Aug 28, 2023

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

"Death Star" and "Princess Leia", who does this guy think he is?!??!!?

Honestly the real problem here seems to be that this trailer is unadulterated and unashamed hyperstylized pulp shlock, and it's always been true that if you're not on that wavelength this stuff looks unimaginably stupid.

I don't know I think there's a fine line wide gulf between pulpy homages to serialized adventure stories of his youth (Star Wars) and pubescent edgelord tryhard poo poo (Snyder).

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
What if you are the gulf

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

BonoMan posted:

I don't know I think there's a fine line wide gulf between pulpy homages to serialized adventure stories of his youth (Star Wars) and pubescent edgelord tryhard poo poo (Snyder).

To be fair, Snyder's pulpy homages could easily to be to the serialised adventure stories of... well, not his youth, but the 90's did an awful lot of this kind of thing and they definitely had a big impact on someone's youth.

What I'm saying is I want Zack Snyder's Shadow Raiders.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

BonoMan posted:

Honestly, no, not really.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Like it's all the same poo poo to me. I'm probably not going to see Rebel Moon but I can't imagine I'll give a flying gently caress about Star Wars anything ever for the rest of my lifetime (not because it was "ruined") unless I have kids/grandkids or something I'm taking to the movies.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
I dont know why I keep responding but what is edge lord about Snyder? Man of Steel seemed super sincere even if you dont like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

bows1 posted:

I dont know why I keep responding but what is edge lord about Snyder? Man of Steel seemed super sincere even if you dont like it.

I was only referring to that garbage Rebel Moon trailer . I don't really care about his other stuff (and don't really care about any non Andor star wars either).

It just seemed all so so so bad.

I liked Man of Steel.