Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Bilirubin posted:

OMG is that Idalia I see tracking towards...Tampa? That can't be right

Yep, the tracking keeps on wobbling from going right to Tampa to Tallahassee, and now back to Tampa.

Even if it misses Tampa, they still will have to worry about potential surges anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
ya the forecast now say on sept 6th it could be 104 degrees in columbus, lol power gonna go out for starfield launch :sad:

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Koirhor posted:

ya the forecast now say on sept 6th it could be 104 degrees in columbus, lol power gonna go out for starfield launch :sad:

That's pretty normal. Like it won't be a Bethesda game if it doesn't have any game breaking bugs on release day

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

NeonPunk posted:

Yep, the tracking keeps on wobbling from going right to Tampa to Tallahassee, and now back to Tampa.

Even if it misses Tampa, they still will have to worry about potential surges anyways.
Last run of models is tracking more towards the Big Bend/Tallahassee

There are more recon planes going into the storm today to get better data

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
The part of Florida that Idalia is heading for is pretty unprepared for a direct hit and the cities are historically overconfident, no? Being on the west coast of Florida gives them a lot of protection from the winds and surges of most Atlantic hurricanes.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

FistEnergy posted:

The part of Florida that Idalia is heading for is pretty unprepared for a direct hit and the cities are historically overconfident, no? Being on the west coast of Florida gives them a lot of protection from the winds and surges of most Atlantic hurricanes.

I wouldn't pay any attention to specific track locations right now. The system is still spinning up, hasn't even entered the Gulf yet, and hasn't really begun strong intensification yet. All of those things can and do affect track. The cone that's on NHC's web site right now shows where the 2/3 track probability resides - there's a 1/3 chance just from this forecast of the center of Idalia going outside the cone. If I were anywhere from Pensacola to Fort Myers, I'd be starting preparations as if it was hitting me directly.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
absolutely. but I have some family in the Tampa area, and like most Floridians they assume it's overblown and they'll be fine like usual

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

If sea levels rise enough could we see hurricanes just go over the middle of Florida while pulling energy from both the Gulf and the Atlantic?

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Climate-proof Duluth being a small red island in a sea of purple is just :allears:

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

FistEnergy posted:

absolutely. but I have some family in the Tampa area, and like most Floridians they assume it's overblown and they'll be fine like usual

Hurricane and storm surge warnings went up this cycle for the Tampa area, so hurricane conditions are expected in that region within the next 36 hours. They might be fine! They might also not be. Preparing for something that doesn't hit them is a lot better than being unprepared when something does hit them.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

SourKraut posted:

If sea levels rise enough could we see hurricanes just go over the middle of Florida while pulling energy from both the Gulf and the Atlantic?

so a hypercane thats basically stuck over florida? sure why not

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

RandolphCarter posted:

look just tell me if I’m gonna die or not. I feel like poo poo and and don’t want to go to this interview

You're definitely going to die. I just can't say whether it will be from this storm or decades from now due to other causes.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

FistEnergy posted:

Tampa people believe their city is magically protected from hurricannes

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

RandolphCarter posted:

look just tell me if I’m gonna die or not. I feel like poo poo and and don’t want to go to this interview

The necessities of living in our capitalist hellscape means that you have to go even if you know you're going to die.

On the plus side, you might actually die. The alternative is being stranded in a hot Florida summer just after a hurricane came through so there's zero electricity, everything's flooded/destroyed, and it's 100 degrees with 80% humidity.

Frankly, I'd pray for death.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

sauer kraut posted:

Climate-proof Duluth being a small red island in a sea of purple is just :allears:

You get that nice cold breeze coming off Lake Superior so it rarely gets too uncomfortable in Duluth during the summer. However, during the winter that arctic wind whipping down hard out of Canada with nothing to get in its way until it hits the city means that you risk freezing your tits off if you step outside your door in January.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

this seems very Florida who the hell is strom?

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

wasn't it just last year that a hurricane was headed straight for them then magically veered away.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

sorry fellow Tampa goons my interview went well and I almost certainly got the job we’re all dead

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Brain Curry posted:

who the hell is strom?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Rubellavator posted:

wasn't it just last year that a hurricane was headed straight for them then magically veered away.
Yes and then it destroyed Fort Myers

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

RandolphCarter posted:

sorry fellow Tampa goons my interview went well and I almost certainly got the job we’re all dead

Congratulations, and also condolences.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

Tampa knows to make the requisite sacrifices to invoke the favor of the gods. Fort Myers spurned the old ways.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Is the hurricane coming from the north going to gently caress up tampa like Ian didn't because it was from the south

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Rubellavator posted:

Yes Tarpa was fine and they learned the wrong lesson from that and all the other times it has magically happened

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

Here's the full 9+ hour long video of the storm surge inundating Fort Meyers from a storm cam. It was mounted 15 feet up a pole and the water eventually reached it. The water sweeps an occupied house away, the couple and their dogs miraculously survive and go on to tell people to never ignore storm surge warnings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igsz7cqg-Zk

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Mental Hospitality posted:

Here's the full 9+ hour long video of the storm surge inundating Fort Meyers from a storm cam. It was mounted 15 feet up a pole and the water eventually reached it. The water sweeps an occupied house away, the couple and their dogs miraculously survive and go on to tell people to never ignore storm surge warnings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igsz7cqg-Zk

I mean they survived so it wasn't like ignoring it did them any harm and they got on TV! :sun:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

That storm also wrecked Sanibel Island which is a nice place that I used to go to a lot as a kid

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Omnicarus posted:

I mean they survived so it wasn't like ignoring it did them any harm and they got on TV! :sun:

This is what I mean when I'm saying "the wrong lessons"

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Zeroisanumber posted:

You get that nice cold breeze coming off Lake Superior so it rarely gets too uncomfortable in Duluth during the summer. However, during the winter that arctic wind whipping down hard out of Canada with nothing to get in its way until it hits the city means that you risk freezing your tits off if you step outside your door in January.

just wear a bigger coat! :blessed:

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

and we're just about to prove it yet again

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Rubellavator posted:

it parked offshore out of range for a day then veered north I think

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

That sounds like Dorian which stalled over the Bahamas as a Cat 5 and then went north

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

Brain Curry posted:

this seems very Florida who the hell is strom?

Strom Thurmond has risen. get baked one last time before it's too late

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

hifi posted:

Is the hurricane coming from the north going to gently caress up tampa like Ian didn't because it was from the south

As long folks built 8 feet or above they ought to be fine. Now let me look at the topographical map of Tampa...

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

I live at an elevation higher then the highest point in Delaware. I live on a 90ft high hill by the bay lol

Edit i was very wrong, the lowest high points are still like 300+ ft

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

NeonPunk posted:

As long folks built 8 feet or above they ought to be fine. Now let me look at the topographical map of Tampa...

Huh. That seems bad.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Zeroisanumber posted:

On the plus side, you might actually die. The alternative is being stranded in a hot Florida summer just after a hurricane came through so there's zero electricity, everything's flooded/destroyed, and it's 100 degrees with 80% humidity.

Frankly, I'd pray for death.

Stepping into the role of the observer as I am washed away by the storm surge. My lifeless body is recovered days later and rescuers are shocked and unnerved by the expression of utter tranquility frozen into my features. They will never realize that the real tragedy is having to survive in Florida.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

So I'm gonna be in Atlanta Wednesday morning through Friday evening. I see a large storm is going to rip through north Florida / south Georgia. Should I be concerned?

Alternatively, should I be concerned about my dad? He's driving some family north from Tampa to Atlanta Wednesday morning.

SKULL.GIF has issued a correction as of 17:58 on Aug 28, 2023

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

I am glad my house was built almost 1100 feet above sea level

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

SKULL.GIF posted:

So I'm gonna be in Atlanta Wednesday morning through Friday evening. I see a large storm is going to rip through north Florida / south Georgia. Should I be concerned?

Alternatively, should I be concerned about my dad? He's driving some family north from Tampa to Atlanta Wednesday mornig.
Wednesday morning is too late, this thing will be likely making landfall early Wed morning