Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Ashoka Show is so glacially-paced and bereft of interesting concepts that it makes me long for the incompetence of Obiwan. Yuck! Strong avoid!
Well now I have to watch it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I think I find it less fundamentally irksome than obi wan because at least it has some kind of conceivable reasons to exist, even if they're not reasons that do anything for me.

But even so we're talking like a C- or D+ compared to obi wan's F

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
So when will Ahsoka travel back in time to save Young Leia from another Red Hot Chili Peppers member?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I have no idea what the show is about, but I will eat my hat if by the end of season two at the latest, Ahsoka didn't have to deal with Leia's spirit. Possibly tramsferring it into a new body or something.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Grendels Dad posted:

I have no idea what the show is about, but I will eat my hat if by the end of season two at the latest, Ahsoka didn't have to deal with Leia's spirit. Possibly tramsferring it into a new body or something.

That would be impressive given last I checked it takes place before the sequels.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That would be impressive given last I checked it takes place before the sequels.

Time travel ghost!

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

The Ghost of Leia Future is totally different from a force ghost, deal with it

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Grendels Dad posted:

I have no idea what the show is about,

Good and bad Jedis are on competing expeditions to a place for a vague reason*, amid reams and reams of fanservice for that cartoon I didn’t watch.

That’s not a plot synopsis, by the way. That is the entire narrative of the first hour and a half.

The runtime is padded out by all the characters repeatedly explaining the above to each-other in extremely simple terms, while performing basic actions very slowly. Pretty much every shot lasts a second or two longer than it needs to, lingering awkwardly.

*The location contains “power”.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Aug 26, 2023

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Two potential saviors, just hangin’ out playing cards for the past 10 years.

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!

The runtime is padded out by all the characters repeatedly explaining the above to each-other in extremely simple terms, while performing basic actions very slowly. Pretty much every shot lasts a second or two longer than it needs to, lingering awkwardly.

This is exactly right. Characters walk around rooms, tinker with things, look around pointlessly. It's maddening and I have no idea why the show is wasting my time like this. In her first scene, Ashoka solves an extremely simple video game puzzle by performing the same action three times very slowly. There's nothing smart or creative about it and scenes like that keep happening.

Obi-Wan was bad, but it was at least entertaining from time to time in a bizarre way. You had Ewan McGregor and Hayden Christensen back together performing horrible scenes. Obi-Wan acting like an absolute moron. So far, Ashoka just seems boring in a strangely infuriating way.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I can't disagree with any of that, but I'll take boring over bad for now. Ahsoka isn't good, but I could potentially see an entertaining second half of the season once the story actually starts moving. Though more likely I'll drop this a few episodes in and start skipping through just to see what happens, just like I did with Obi-Wan. But to me, Obi-Wan was offensively bad at a core conceptual level and never moved beyond that. The entire idea of Obi-Wan doing a Leia rescue mission is just so creatively bankrupt that I'd far prefer a fan-fiction video game macguffin hunt over it. Though if we get more scenes like the absolutely embarrassing "smug rebel punk Sabine on a space motorcycle flipping off her cop friends while avoiding public service" I might change my tune.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Aug 26, 2023

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

I'm also in the "willing to give this slop a chance" bracket. If anything, the lengthy monotonous puzzle-solving scene gave me faith that this wasn't another Obi-wan, a show that often felt like a digest of itself.

I'm back to writing up Star Wars for anyone interested, though much like the show I've not quite worked out what my angle is going to be.

The presence of additional Jedi loafing around in the Empire years doesn't bother me all that much, because the logical conclusion to draw is just: they sucked. They either didn't care to defeat the Empire or they weren't able to. The Emperor deposed them and killed everyone who mattered and that was that.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Star Wars has taught me that jedi and Mandalorians look cool but are in fact real stupid. They are both terrible at seeing clues that give grave warnings that were missed and never have a backup plan.

Star Wars has also taught me that their regular rear end spys are smart and competent

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I watched an episode of the clone wars cartoon where they go into some kind of extratemporal diamond and meet a magic family who command life and death. The visuals were really great, and at the same time I wished they could exist outside of Anakin's preexisting conflict. Not that it was a bad exploration of it, but, you know.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I like that arc; they were on some CS Lewis poo poo

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

I'm watching Episode 9 for the first time since it was released and it's still an absolute mess. But something I didn't really notice is how much Threepio has to say and do in this movie. He kind of steals the show a bit. Weird because he's not really involved in the other two movies at all.

It sucks how they made a digital Marionette of Leia because they chickened out of dealing with Carrie Fishers unfortunate death, and then repeatedly chicken out of killing off both Chewie and Threepio. It's such a cowardly movie, in so many ways.

mitochondritom fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Aug 26, 2023

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I don't kind the show taking its time. At least it's giving itself room to breathe unlike basically every non-Andor Disney show.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

mitochondritom posted:

Weird because he's not really involved in the other two movies at all.

Neither is R2. They feel really vestigial. Every other sin of the ST aside, the fact that they never figured out what to do with R2 and 3PO is pretty damning.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

feedmyleg posted:

Neither is R2. They feel really vestigial. Every other sin of the ST aside, the fact that they never figured out what to do with R2 and 3PO is pretty damning.

The prequels also struggled with it, though far more so for 3PO than R2.

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!

stev posted:

I don't kind the show taking its time. At least it's giving itself room to breathe unlike basically every non-Andor Disney show.

I don't mind tv shows or films going slow. Twin Peaks Return tooks it's time with everything and it was great. There has to be some thematic or visual quality to it for it to work though, and I don't see anything like that in Ahsoka. Mandalorian season 3 was similar to an extent, e.g. when the Mandalorian goes to explore Mandalor for the first time and we get to see the path of different characters through a same tunnel at least three times in one episode.

Today I watched this video which highlights how a low budget bbc tv show managed to look good through creative camera work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roI56_c_E6o. The Star Wars tv shows (with the exception of Andor) feel like the opposite. High budget but minimum possible effort extended as much as possible.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
You know it’s weird. They created BB-8 to be the new R2-D2, but did not create a new C-3P0 to be his partner. They’re a comedy duo, it’s like having Abbot but no Costello or Tom without Jerry. Even KotOR knew to make a “protocol droid” *wink to pair with their Astromech.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

galagazombie posted:

You know it’s weird. They created BB-8 to be the new R2-D2, but did not create a new C-3P0 to be his partner. They’re a comedy duo, it’s like having Abbot but no Costello or Tom without Jerry. Even KotOR knew to make a “protocol droid” *wink to pair with their Astromech.

Yeah, that was an odd mistake. Was there a counterpart in earlier drafts or what?

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Vim Fuego posted:

Yeah, that was an odd mistake. Was there a counterpart in earlier drafts or what?

Kind of.

When they were developing the movie, the character who eventually became Poe went through a few rounds of deciding who exactly he would be. At one point they were considering making him a Bounty Hunter, who might have had a Wookiee companion. When they made him a Rebel, his companion evolved into a droid instead.

The story at that would would have seen a bunch of Rebels captured and brought aboard a Star Destroyer, where their execution was witnessed by a Stormtrooper who had a change of heart and decided to help the sole survivor (and his droid) escape.

As the story continued to evolve, the Rebel would have died in the crash on Jakku (his production nickname was "John Doe" before becoming Poe, and was only rewritten to survive at Oscar Isaac's request), leaving the Stormtrooper and the droid alive.

So in the "The Force Awakens is a remake of A New Hope" scenario, BB-8 is R2, Poe is Leia, and Finn is C-3PO - the neurotic frightened companion who is only on the journey out of necessity and wants to get to safety as soon as possible.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

That sounds neat, but how do we pointlessly insert and then immediately kill Max von Sydow in all of that?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

FunkyAl posted:

I watched an episode of the clone wars cartoon where they go into some kind of extratemporal diamond and meet a magic family who command life and death. The visuals were really great, and at the same time I wished they could exist outside of Anakin's preexisting conflict. Not that it was a bad exploration of it, but, you know.

That sounds like the Mortis stuff, which Lucas was super heavily involved in and where he kind of wrote out what he thought of the Force by making three aspects of it people.

I'm okay with Ahsoka being literal Rebels S5 for now, but a lot hinges on where the show goes now that it finally caught up with the end of that series and is going wherever it plans on going.

Darko fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Aug 27, 2023

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Most of us in the TV thread really like the Dark Jedi villains, they’re definitely a highlight so far. Elsbeth the Dathomir Witch is good too. Juries out on the inquisitor looking villain though.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Grendels Dad posted:

That sounds neat, but how do we pointlessly insert and then immediately kill Max von Sydow in all of that?

He's the captain of the Tantive IV

La Louve Rouge
Jun 25, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cartoon Man posted:

Most of us in the TV thread really like the Dark Jedi villains, they’re definitely a highlight so far. Elsbeth the Dathomir Witch is good too. Juries out on the inquisitor looking villain though.

Honestly I hope he's like Lube Man and never seen again

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I like the Sith Santa man

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ray Stevenson was the best. Even in Dexter where he played a really stupid hack character he brought it and was the most enjoyable part of that season.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I love how loving huge he looks in the show. Ray Stevenson was a big boy but his costuming and costars make him look like a giant.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZGedzA8TKw

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

the acting is asohka is garbagio across the board

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Evil jedi guy had a few nice line deliveries but they were probably all cancelled out by not being able to resist having him sheev out about unlimited power a bit

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Filoni must be stopped

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

No Mods No Masters posted:

Evil jedi guy had a few nice line deliveries but they were probably all cancelled out by not being able to resist having him sheev out about unlimited power a bit

The dark side pretty much is spiritual cocaine after all

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

YaketySass posted:

Filoni must be stopped

Been saying this

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

CelticPredator posted:

Ray Stevenson was the best. Even in Dexter where he played a really stupid hack character he brought it and was the most enjoyable part of that season.

Titus Pullo!

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016

Good and bad Jedis are on competing expeditions to a place for a vague reason*, amid reams and reams of fanservice for that cartoon I didn’t watch.

That’s not a plot synopsis, by the way. That is the entire narrative of the first hour and a half.

*The location contains “power”.

What got you into the Star Wars shows, anyway? Don't you really dislike serial TV?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
lmao who is doing QC at Disney
https://twitter.com/mrbrecken/status/1694838436195082442"I think folks at disney have been tagging their media in the wrong way ....bc....Rec709-a is for apple displays only (which Ahsoka was set to). And when I set it back to regular rear end broadcast rec709 2.4 huzzah...poo poo POPS."