Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

claw game handjob posted:

In a similar vein and linking back to the tech angle: Bismuth is a guy who has pivoted into breaking down a lot of "WHAT THE gently caress AM I LOOKING AT" speedruns step by step with narration and, in a lot of cases, really well put-together diagrams and visuals to show you what's actually happening in the game without being locked to the footage of the camera. His most recent one actually involved him TASing a Goldeneye stage to show what's going on in memory at any point just to explain what the three people who have ever pulled this very specific category of run off have to do to make it feasible with human reflexes.

Or as a really good intro: there's this one. "The 20s Minecraft Speedrun Explained in 20m".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJpXnjCt0hw

Bismuth is my favourite speedruns explained channel. Don't sleep on the Mario 64 ABC videos. I think he finally finished the series earlier this year and there's a 5hr+ compilation of all the parts. Summoning Salt is great for the history of a particular speedrun record and all of the personalities in the story but nothing beats the in-depthness of Bismuth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Fruits of the sea posted:

Ehh, that was more of a "we are taking feedback and improving our processes" nothing response to keep subscribers happy. Best practice is to slap a new name on the "review" channel along with adding a couple new faces in a soft relaunch once the controversy is fading from public memory.

I guarantee you this is as far as Linus is willing to go on anything approaching a "change in direction", or "relaunch". This is him pulling a Sideshow Bob style "Is this what you want you smarmy little bastards"

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Vic posted:

How is Linus leaving changing the culture? I don't care about him being there, but the actual change in the culture needs to happen.

A corporation's culture is usually determined by the people who run it. Their expectations, what they will and won't tolerate, etc. Along with potentially protecting managers and employees who are problematic because they're friends outside of work or related somehow or whatever.

Linus runs LMG, so if the culture there is ever going to meaningfully change, he would either have to undergo a dramatic shift in both his personality and management style, or else he would have to leave the company.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

MustardFacial posted:

I guarantee you this is as far as Linus is willing to go on anything approaching a "change in direction", or "relaunch". This is him pulling a Sideshow Bob style "Is this what you want you smarmy little bastards"

Oh yeah, it would absolutely be a superficial relaunch for the lab. They couldn’t remove Linus even if he was OK with it. The audience wants him.

It’s a catch-22 and instead, they are putting lipstick on a pig.

They can’t substantially change the formula because the company is built on the face man

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Vic posted:

How is Linus leaving changing the culture? I don't care about him being there, but the actual change in the culture needs to happen.

If part of the problem is the owner then without them loving off the culture will never get better.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
To actually improve something, the first thing you have to do is admit there is a problem. The fact that they have not addressed the Madison allegations shows that they don't actually want to get better, they just want people to think they are.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

SpartanIvy posted:

To actually improve something, the first thing you have to do is admit there is a problem. The fact that they have not addressed the Madison allegations shows that they don't actually want to get better, they just want people to think they are.

It's absolutely not a topic for a YT video, nor to be addressed publicly. I'm sure they're not doing so for legal/liability reasons, but if they did you just know some rabid fanbase assholes would go off on a crusade of targeted harassment against her.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

claw game handjob posted:

In a similar vein and linking back to the tech angle: Bismuth is a guy who has pivoted into breaking down a lot of "WHAT THE gently caress AM I LOOKING AT" speedruns step by step with narration and, in a lot of cases, really well put-together diagrams and visuals to show you what's actually happening in the game without being locked to the footage of the camera. His most recent one actually involved him TASing a Goldeneye stage to show what's going on in memory at any point just to explain what the three people who have ever pulled this very specific category of run off have to do to make it feasible with human reflexes.

Or as a really good intro: there's this one. "The 20s Minecraft Speedrun Explained in 20m".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJpXnjCt0hw

Oh yeah that video is absolutely fantastic. Speedrunning content on YouTube is some of the best stuff up there

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Charles Leclerc posted:

It's absolutely not a topic for a YT video, nor to be addressed publicly. I'm sure they're not doing so for legal/liability reasons, but if they did you just know some rabid fanbase assholes would go off on a crusade of targeted harassment against her.
Why isn't it a topic for a YT video? Why can't it be addressed publicly? The leaked video of it being "addressed" privately was Linus being dismissive of the topic and telling people being sexually harassed to take it up with their harassers. James is heard making a stripper joke at Linus and nobody says a word about how inappropriate that is to do during a meeting supposedly about addressing sexual harassment.

LTT's rabid fan base is already harassing her and has been for some time, and Linus not addressing that is going to be construed as implicit approval.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Charles Leclerc posted:

A lot of Madison's tweets were about a toxic company culture, which were brushed off by Linus telling us that 80% of his employees told HR that they were happy. He doesn't seem to grasp that part of the situation at all.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Sydney Bottocks posted:

A corporation's culture is usually determined by the people who run it. Their expectations, what they will and won't tolerate, etc. Along with potentially protecting managers and employees who are problematic because they're friends outside of work or related somehow or whatever.

Linus runs LMG, so if the culture there is ever going to meaningfully change, he would either have to undergo a dramatic shift in both his personality and management style, or else he would have to leave the company.

Right my point is Linus was not doing his job running the company, and that's why Terren Tong was hired to replace him as a CEO a year back.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

Martian Manfucker posted:

Bismuth is my favourite speedruns explained channel. Don't sleep on the Mario 64 ABC videos. I think he finally finished the series earlier this year and there's a 5hr+ compilation of all the parts. Summoning Salt is great for the history of a particular speedrun record and all of the personalities in the story but nothing beats the in-depthness of Bismuth.

Unless you want to go even deeper with Mario 64 in which case go watch Panenkoek and learn what half an A-press is.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Yeah, my personal experience has been that to actually initiate company-wide culture change, the entire management has to be wiped out and new people brought in that are not simply promoted from below, at least not if they were comfortable with the prior culture. Then, those who were ok with the prior culture, usually change/adapt or get frustrated and leave over time.

Unfortunately my experience has been that this has been used far more likely to change from a quality-driven culture mindset, to a profit-driven mindset and not for social issues/change.

Vic posted:

Right my point is Linus was not doing his job running the company, and that's why Terren Tong was hired to replace him as a CEO a year back.

I’m not sure hiring your long-time friend to act as CEO, is really meant to be a means of changing company culture or because he actually felt he was running the company well.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Vic posted:

As others have mentioned, Terren's job is clearly handling the boring day-to-day stuff that Linus doesn't want to be bothered with.

Linus still owns the company, he's still in charge, and the company culture largely revolves around him and what he wants/expects/tolerates. No meaningful changes can happen until that ceases to be the case.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

SourKraut posted:

Yeah, my personal experience has been that to actually initiate company-wide culture change, the entire management has to be wiped out and new people brought in that are not simply promoted from below, at least not if they were comfortable with the prior culture. Then, those who were ok with the prior culture, usually change/adapt or get frustrated and leave over time.

Unfortunately my experience has been that this has been used far more likely to change from a quality-driven culture mindset, to a profit-driven mindset and not for social issues/change.

I’m not sure hiring your long-time friend to act as CEO, is really meant to be a means of changing company culture or because he actually felt he was running the company well.

Agreed. Realisticially there's an rear end in a top hat clique that needs to go and I see Linus as a Michael Scott character in this, and part of the problem rather than cause.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Vic posted:

Agreed. Realisticially there's an rear end in a top hat clique that needs to go and I see Linus as a Michael Scott character in this, and part of the problem rather than cause.

Linus owns the company, he's a good deal more than just part of the problem.

TearsOfPirates
Jun 11, 2016

Stultior stulto fuisti, qui tabellis crederes! - Idiot of idiots, to trust what is written!

c355n4 posted:

If anyone is interested in speed running history.

https://www.youtube.com/@SummoningSalt

Some good long videos on the subject. Usually focused on an individual or a game's history of speed running.

Honestly as much as I want to like SummoningSalt's content, he tends to drag it too much. Like I get that he wants to get thorough, but everyone else at least manages to keep it actually interesting and manages to tie in it without dragging. It doesn't help that his voice sounds as dull as it does. Perfect sleep material though.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
One more speedrunning history channel, this one focused entirely on 80s and 90s adventure game speedruns: https://www.youtube.com/@OneShortEye/videos

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Charles Leclerc posted:

Yeah, it's one that you would never talk about publicly, especially since a lot of it is not going to be verifiable with hard evidence. You kinda have to take it at face value where your company hosed up both actual and perceived by the employee. Even if it was a communication issue(it wasn't just that here), it's still on you to do something so it doesn't happen again.

Changing how HR functions was the answer, and from what I saw of the video, I didn't see that. They still will push you to go directly to your problem person, which is obviously going to be abused by your bad actors.

Did they mention anything about an HR shakeup, or did they just drop "we have 3rd party hr" again? It's pointless when your decision makers are the problem.

Anyway RIP LTT, maybe you'll get it next time but I'm not here for it.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

SpartanIvy posted:

It's 100% this.

The non-apology apology video that Linus did looked more to me like a narcissist who got caught being a dick backpedaling to save face, rather than a truly apologetic leader.

Nowhere in that video does he say 'it's my fault, I'm the one to blame' it's more 'poo poo I let this happen on my watch, sorry, let's all look to the future because Im never gonna admit any responsibility in this'

To be fair, you're never going to see him admit anything regarding the Madison issues because he doesn't want to be even thought of for a nanosecond as irresponsible leader who lets harassment happen behind his back, he'd rather you think of him as supergenius lovable goofball awkward lemur who drops CPUs on the floor like a clown with ALS

The right thing to do would be to at least step away from the channel until the dust clears, but nope the fans want to see loopy Linus walk through another video with a sycophant telling him he's doing everything wrong like a noob but ending up with half-baked logical conclusions you're supposed to take as gospel

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Blurb3947 posted:

Unless you want to go even deeper with Mario 64 in which case go watch Panenkoek and learn what half an A-press is.

I got an explanation some years back in GDQ. Couch guy was explaining this while his bud was sweating through a speedrun. It was almost incomprehensible but a lot of fun.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Personally i'm looking forward to when they crash & burn.

Or sued onto their knees by Madison's lawyers.

Either or both is good. :shrug:

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Bondematt posted:

Did they mention anything about an HR shakeup, or did they just drop "we have 3rd party hr" again? It's pointless when your decision makers are the problem.

They always seem to be saying they're getting a 3rd party HR solution, but I bet it'll just be the cheapest kind where you have to go through an automated recorded choice decision tree the size of the Rockefeller Center Christmas version before you talk to an actual person who is only temping until they can go back to their job at the roller derby rink.

quote:

Anyway RIP LTT, maybe you'll get it next time but I'm not here for it.

I predict this- they'll plod along with the nobodies for a few months with Linus only sticking his head in when it's 'safe' and pay off Madison with some ridiculously low out-of-court settlement, and in a year LTT will be back to making self-congratulatory montages of Linus coddling new Ryzens only to be told he's bending the pins by hugging them so close

Gao
Aug 14, 2005
"Something." - A famous guy

Bondematt posted:

He mentioned there has been an internal HR department for a little while and that they'd already stopped using a third party one. He mentioned something about how there might be higher turnover with the changes they're making, and part of me wonders if that would be because of actually dealing with the Madison situation, but I'm probably getting my hopes up too much that he'd do the right thing.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Linus owns the company, he's a good deal more than just part of the problem.

So he needs to sell the company to an unknown entity that will care and fire people responsible?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

I don't get the impression Madison is planning on suing LMG, unless there was a tweet or something I missed. I'm guessing that unless she has someone willing to represent her cheaply or for free, she probably can't afford a lawyer (I am not an expert on how these sorts of things work in the legal system, Canadian or otherwise).

Vic posted:

So he needs to sell the company to an unknown entity that will care and fire people responsible?

Ideally yes, though it's doubtful right now that he'd sell, partly because he wouldn't get anywhere near the $100 million he claimed to have been offered, and partly because I'm pretty sure his particular brand of narcissism wouldn't allow him to imagine the company being run by anyone else.

He could just step away from both day to day operations and appearing in videos, etc., and just let others run the company for him while he raked in the dough, but again that wouldn't really resolve the issues with the company's culture (unless Terren or whoever was given a free hand to clean house of problematic employees, which I doubt would happen), and also again I don't see Linus' ego letting that happen. He'd have to be involved in some kind of way.

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Aug 28, 2023

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Charles Leclerc posted:

If you can't mention it one way, don't mention it the other way.

Dude went on camera without mentioning it, but urged people to believe there's "no problems" and most egregiously said "it's natural for our departures to be louder".
If he doesn't know what the chuds will do with such a statement he's a loving moron, but that and his holding back the tears~~ as he talks about "the death threats" makes the video an obvious wolf whistle for anyone who wants to believe she's just another of dem pesky women stirrin' up a whole load of "drama" and we're actually the victims in this cancel culture.

"no one on our team deserved that" my dude several people on your team drove a girl to the edge of mental breakdown, they absolutely deserve to hear some bad words thrown their way

Linus needs to calm his tits.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

n.b. if anyone thinks
a) LTT won't be back up and running next week and
b) be indistinguishable from before

they're deluding themselves

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Yeah that's what I was thinking at the start of all this, they'd have some blowback, some bullshit apology, promise to do better, it all blows over and then nothing changes.

What are the backgrounds of most of the LTT employees? I am guessing it's mostly new grads or people who are into computers but don't have a related degree. People without any actual working experience who don't know what a decently run organization is like, basically.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I don't get the impression Madison is planning on suing LMG, unless there was a tweet or something I missed. I'm guessing that unless she has someone willing to represent her cheaply or for free, she probably can't afford a lawyer (I am not an expert on how these sorts of things work in the legal system, Canadian or otherwise).

BC has a human rights tribunal that covers employment discrimination. But it looks like the complaint should be made within 1 year of the conduct/event.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
it's going to be interesting how soon the major north american influencers start interacting with linus again. they'd be the easiest way to get back on track, and they're not exactly bound by any moral compunctions

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

priznat posted:

Yeah that's what I was thinking at the start of all this, they'd have some blowback, some bullshit apology, promise to do better, it all blows over and then nothing changes.

That's the usual trajectory for things like this, and not just for Youtube idiots who step in it. I'm not sure exactly where to peg the blame for it - internet fanboy culture, maybe? People in a particular subreddit all collectively decide, "No, this isn't true" and their belief just becomes reality. It's an odd side effect of our very-online culture.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

That's the usual trajectory for things like this, and not just for Youtube idiots who step in it. I'm not sure exactly where to peg the blame for it - internet fanboy culture, maybe? People in a particular subreddit all collectively decide, "No, this isn't true" and their belief just becomes reality. It's an odd side effect of our very-online culture.

I think it basically depends on whether the people in charge are genuinely repentant and willing to do the necessary self-examination and make the necessary changes; or if the people in charge believe they're really the victims here, and that no serious changes are needed because they don't see what the problems are (and have no problems exploiting the parasocial relationship they're encouraged their fanbase to have with them, in order to reassure themselves that they are the wronged parties).

I think we already know what direction Linus and company are leaning towards.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Yeah it’s the sports-fanization of all aspects of life now that you cheer for your team no matter goddamn what and it is so frigging stupid.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

SpartanIvy posted:

Why isn't it a topic for a YT video? Why can't it be addressed publicly? The leaked video of it being "addressed" privately was Linus being dismissive of the topic and telling people being sexually harassed to take it up with their harassers. James is heard making a stripper joke at Linus and nobody says a word about how inappropriate that is to do during a meeting supposedly about addressing sexual harassment.

LTT's rabid fan base is already harassing her and has been for some time, and Linus not addressing that is going to be construed as implicit approval.

Because it has disaster written all over it. Oblique references can be hand waved away but a 10 minute video on workplace sexual harassment by LTT is like fishing with dynamite. I would wager that at least Yvonne has the brains to have taken legal counsel on it and based on the fact that Luke can mute Linus on WAN show and Linus can't screen share that the new CEO is absolutely not letting the matter be addressed without his explicit consent and sign off by the company attorneys.

What could they possibly say in a video that doesn't nuke whatever is left of the company? It's either a public admission of guilt or some bullshit excuses that mobilise a bunch of morons.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Charles Leclerc posted:

and based on the fact that Luke can mute Linus on WAN show
Wait, so Luke can do more now than just roll his eyes?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Charles Leclerc posted:

Because it has disaster written all over it. Oblique references can be hand waved away but a 10 minute video on workplace sexual harassment by LTT is like fishing with dynamite. I would wager that at least Yvonne has the brains to have taken legal counsel on it and based on the fact that Luke can mute Linus on WAN show and Linus can't screen share that the new CEO is absolutely not letting the matter be addressed without his explicit consent and sign off by the company attorneys.

I never said they had to make a 10 minute video about it, I'm just saying they should address it. A short but brief recognition that they have a problem and are doing something to turn the sex pest culture around would be a nice start.

quote:

What could they possibly say in a video that doesn't nuke whatever is left of the company? It's either a public admission of guilt or some bullshit excuses that mobilise a bunch of morons.

If they were actually trying to make things better they would address problems or even potential problems. That's the whole point. You can say "During our week of meditation, LMG has recognized that our sexual harassment prevention guidelines are lacking and we're working with <respectable group> to improve that to make sure nobody feels harassed or objectified at LMG." It doesn't admit to anything nor open them up to a lawsuit.

Although I would argue that if they truly actually cared they would have already started going down the right path with Madison and then admitted they hosed up handling her situation. Being responsible and transparent means admitting when you hosed up, even if it opens you up to lawsuits.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Any of that could maybe be seen as a tacit admission of guilt legally, no one is going to do that.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

SpartanIvy posted:

Being responsible and transparent means admitting when you hosed up, even if it opens you up to lawsuits.

I'm not a lawyer but I'm pretty sure the first thing most lawyers tell their clients is to shut the hell up and not to admit anything was your fault, for this very reason. Even if you get in a minor car accident, if you admit fault at the scene that can likely be used against you.

If Linus got on YT to address the Madison allegations, you can bet he'd gently caress it up so bad that it would be Madison Media Group by the time the video was finished playing. He wouldn't be able to not ramble on and would open up exciting new vistas of liability.

It may not be the decent or noble thing to do, but from a legal and business standpoint it's absolutely the correct thing to do. Keep quiet and let the lawyers handle things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

AlternateAccount posted:

Any of that could maybe be seen as a tacit admission of guilt legally, no one is going to do that.
Do you think admitting to selling auctioning a piece of property they didn't own isn't an admission of guilt legally?

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I'm not a lawyer but I'm pretty sure the first thing most lawyers tell their clients is to shut the hell up and not to admit anything was your fault, for this very reason. Even if you get in a minor car accident, if you admit fault at the scene that can likely be used against you.

Yeah but most people wouldn't get out of the car wreck and then try to convince everyone that they should come to them for driving advice still. If you market yourself as the driving instructor who is honest and transparent and "just like you!" then the bar is higher than how a faceless mega corporation acts. That's why it's ridiculous to expect Steve to reach out to LMG for comments first. LMG puts on the plucky small business mask when it suits them and then becomes a faceless mega corporation when money or allegations get involved.

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Aug 28, 2023