Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Reasons = dollars. Got it and no argument.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
The Rams sold out to maximize their window with Stafford, and they won a Super Bowl. But yeah, in ‘21 they had no first-rounder, and in ‘22 they had no first- or second-rounder (and their third-rounder was the very end of the round), and in ‘23 they still had no first-rounder. On top of that, they’ve seemingly missed on a lot of the picks they’ve actually had. So yeah, it’s a rough roster outside of the stars.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Hawks defense continues to look like it's gonna get run over. I'm hoping the offense can keep up and sustain drives bc hard to see how they are not gonna just allow 150+ rushing a game and be dominated in TOP

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Hawks are likely not gonna do nearly as well as people think this year, unfortunately.

DL is probably worse this year than last year unless Tre out performs his contract. Even with Bobby back and a hopefully healthy Adams, best case for the run defense seems to be “okay”. More likely it will be bad again.

Even if we assume the team has improved talent from last year, their schedule this year is much tougher.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Strength of schedule usually swings pretty wildly throughout the season as there are always teams punching above/blow their weight, so I wouldn't make assumptions based on that. I think the team is stronger in most areas but there is no question the DL is awful and everyone is going to take advantage of that. I still see the team doing about as well as last year if they can stay healthy.

If you like The Run, watch Seahawks games. We have some good RBs and no DL, so plenty of ground yards all around!

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Yeah, also, judging the defense's outlook based on the final preseason game seems like a fools errand

these guys are competing for a place on the practice squad, and both offensive and defensive schemes are vanilla

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
Yeah it's very hard to see how Seattle is better this year and a lot of reasons they might be worse. The offense fell off a cliff in the second half of the season which smells like tape/opposing coaches adjusting, so I wouldn't expect a replay of the fireworks from early last year. And the defensive line is arguably even worse than last year's terrible unit.
We can hope having 3 receiving options and a year of experience for 2 rookie OL will change things for the better I guess. Would love to be pleasantly surprised.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I’ve been pleasantly surprised by the preseason games. I haven’t been yelling “gently caress, wrap him up!” at the TV watching some RB breaking tackles on the way to a long first down like I was doing repeatedly last season

And Drew Lock has looked fine?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
One thing I'm pretty concerned about with the Seahawks is the same thing I've been worried about since Kam retired, third and long on defense and the offense just hucks it to the TE who's wide open in the middle to get the first. Seen it a few times this preseason too. Will probably still plague us!

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

rjmccall posted:

.... On top of that, they’ve seemingly missed on a lot of the picks they’ve actually had. So yeah, it’s a rough roster outside of the stars.

The Rams drafted 26 players between 2020, 2021, & 2022. 18 of those picks are still on the roster, so their drafts haven't been complete failures. A lack of first or second rounders certainly didn't help.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

DancingMachine posted:

Yeah it's very hard to see how Seattle is better this year and a lot of reasons they might be worse. The offense fell off a cliff in the second half of the season which smells like tape/opposing coaches adjusting, so I wouldn't expect a replay of the fireworks from early last year. And the defensive line is arguably even worse than last year's terrible unit.
We can hope having 3 receiving options and a year of experience for 2 rookie OL will change things for the better I guess. Would love to be pleasantly surprised.

Yeah and imo one of the biggest contributors to offensive struggles for seattle was the poopy IOL. Given how bad they were last year it seems like, technically, the IOL has to be better than last year. But they will probably still be bad, overall.

Front offices are so stupid. QB and OL matter more than anything else, perhaps get good OL players???

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Nit Wit Dog poo poo posted:

The Rams drafted 26 players between 2020, 2021, & 2022. 18 of those picks are still on the roster, so their drafts haven't been complete failures. A lack of first or second rounders certainly didn't help.

I was going off not recognizing any of the 2nd/3rd-rounders, but that’s probably unfair because I’m not sure why I would.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I’m so hyped to watch Steve Avila the guard do many cool things.

He so thicc and powerful and I love him.

Ornery and Hornery fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Aug 28, 2023

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I’m so hyped to watch Steve Avila the guard so cool things.

He so thicc and powerful and I love him.
But does he have a big butt? This is important.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Yeah and imo one of the biggest contributors to offensive struggles for seattle was the poopy IOL. Given how bad they were last year it seems like, technically, the IOL has to be better than last year. But they will probably still be bad, overall.

Front offices are so stupid. QB and OL matter more than anything else, perhaps get good OL players???

It's my fault. I bought a retro t-shirt, and have doomed the team to a 6-11 season.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Looks like DeeJay Dallas got cut. Didn't expect that.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Lifespan posted:

Looks like DeeJay Dallas got cut. Didn't expect that.

He always seemed to pull off exactly one explosive play in preseason, then mostly disappear. I wonder how much that was Wilson though?

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
It is clear he was never going to be the guy, but he was reliable. I'm sure he will be picked up by another team rather than falling to the practice squad.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Colt McCoy got cut so who is starting for the Cardinals? Josh Dobbs?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I'm assuming they're just waiting on Nick Bosa's new pool? A place to dump all that cash before he gets extended?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Rad Valtar posted:

Flip a coin between Josh Dobbs and Clayton Tune.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

I’m honestly sad to see Colt cut, if only because he seemed like a good locker room presence. But new OC, trying to tank, etc., will get you that…

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Rad Valtar posted:

They're just going to send Murray out in a walking cast, aren't they?

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Failson posted:

They're just going to send Murray out in a walking cast, aren't they?

Kyler is starting on the PUP list, so will be out at least 4 weeks. Which i'm sure he'll put to good use in CoD.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal
The Rams' first round of cuts:

LB Kelechi Anyalebechi
WR Braxton Burmeister
DB Timarcus Davis
DB Tyon Davis
DB Vincent Gray
WR Tyler Hudson
DB Tanner Ingle
DB Jordan Jones
G Sean Maginn
WR Lance McCutcheon
TE Camren McDonald
TE Christian Sims
DT Taron Vincent

The only "surprise" is Lance McCutcheon who was last year’s preseason "star."

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Niners have cut

CB Nate Brooks
DL La'Darius Hamilton
DL Breeland Speaks
LB Kyahva Tezino
DL Spencer Waege

Taco Charlton was also put on IR earlier and then his contract terminated.

One interesting tidbit, if Bosa holds out through tomorrow he doesn't count as part of the initial 53, and that might be enough to let the niners keep RayRay McCloud or another injured guy through Tuesday, after which they can put him on IR without losing him for the whole season, opening the slot back up for Bosa. If they put McCloud onto IR today he's out for the year.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

WR Braxton Burmeister

A+ name game

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Love the name, wish it was “burn” though. Nothing in life is perfect.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

The Rams' first round of cuts:

LB Kelechi Anyalebechi
WR Braxton Burmeister
DB Timarcus Davis
DB Tyon Davis
DB Vincent Gray
WR Tyler Hudson
DB Tanner Ingle
DB Jordan Jones
G Sean Maginn
WR Lance McCutcheon
TE Camren McDonald
TE Christian Sims
DT Taron Vincent

The only "surprise" is Lance McCutcheon who was last year’s preseason "star."

Can't be that much of a surprise, "cut" is right in his name!

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
Per Maiocco, 49ers release/waive list:
Austin Bryant
Chris Conley
Troy Fumagalli
Brian Hill
Kerry Hyder Jr.
T.Y. McGill
Jeremy McNichols
Anthony Miller
Willie Snead IV
Alex Barrett
Jack Colletto
Marlon Davidson
Joey Fisher
Alfredo Gutierrez
Myles Hartsfield
Keith Ismael
D’Shawn Jamison
Qwuantrezz Knight
Corey Luciano
Ilm Manning
Tay Martin
Marcelino McCrary-Ball
Jason Poe
Curtis Robinson
Tre Swilling
Leroy Watson
Isaiah Winstead

Hyder and Bryant are expected to be resigned.

https://twitter.com/MaioccoNBCS/status/1696630816997285964

Coldforge fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Aug 29, 2023

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Oh good. I was wondering why they would release Hyder (and to a lesser extent Bryant)

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Huh, looks like DeeJay didn't get cut. I wonder why he made social media posts yesterday implying that.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Lifespan posted:

Huh, looks like DeeJay didn't get cut. I wonder why he made social media posts yesterday implying that.

Drama engagement?

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

MakaVillian posted:

Oh good. I was wondering why they would release Hyder (and to a lesser extent Bryant)

Happy to see Ronnie Bell made it. Can't believe they kept that kicker Moody.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Remember the last time the cardinals cut their long snapper

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal
The rest of the Rams' cuts:

LB Ryan Smenda
OL A.J. Arcuri
K Tanner Brown
DE T.J. Carter
OLB Daniel Hardy
DB Quindell Johnson
TE Nikola Kalinic
OL Mike McAllister
DB Cameron McCutcheon
OL Grant Miller
WR Xavier Smith
OLB Keir Thomas
WR Austin Trammell
QB Dresser Winn
LB Jaiden Woodbey
DT Marquise Copeland
RB Royce Freeman
QB Brett Rypien
DB Rashad Torrence
LB De'Andre Square
OL Logan Bruss
WR Tyler Johnson
DB Robert Rochell

A lot of those guys will be on the practice squad if (when) they clear waivers.

The Rams currently do not have a kicker on their roster.

Also, the Rams did not release any of their 14 2023 draft picks.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Also, the Rams did not release any of their 14 2023 draft picks.

Has that ever happened before? Cause wow

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I wasn't sure if Zakelj would make the team after that absurd string of holding penalties.

trilljester posted:

Happy to see Ronnie Bell made it. Can't believe they kept that kicker Moody.

Bell flashed some brilliant play, albeit against other teams' #2s and 3s, I'm excited to see what he can do. I thought maybe Willie Snead would grab the last WR spot, because of his experience. And yeah I've got trepidations about our kicker situation.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
https://twitter.com/MaioccoNBCS/status/1696928342073569553

Cardinals :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
Cardinals are claiming lots of dudes.