Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Nyan Bread posted:

Speaking of, he's nearly tied with Trump on recentlybooked.com with 66k views each :allears:

Starfield hype is out of control

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Ynglaur posted:

Any word yet on the maximum number of skill ranks you can achieve?

You can be pretty confident it'll be like Fallout 4, with the only limit to skill levels being exponentially increasing XP requirements.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Besides a few new skills for ships and outposts it looks like a lot like what we got in Fallout 4, minus some of the flavor

netizen
Jun 25, 2023
I wonder how useful food is going to be. They made a point in the direct to show off the food and they have an entire skill revolving around it. Gastronomy

I might go Beast Hunter :black101: and see how it goes.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is that the voice of the posh breton ladies from oblivion?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ThaumPenguin posted:

yeah I worship the great serpent and I do it the best way there is. long haul truckin', baby

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
my companions will all worship my great serpent if you know what I mean

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Is there a laser shotgun

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Is there a laser shotgun

Probably. There are a skills for weapon types, like ballistic, laser, particle, etc, and there are skills for weapon classes, like pistol, rifle, shotgun, semi auto rifle, sniper, heavy.

I intend to avoid all the weapon skills early on so I can get a feel for what is most fun before committing to anything.

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

K8.0 posted:

so I can get a feel for what is most fun before committing to anything.

But enough about companions

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

KakerMix posted:

Potions?? Im straight edge to I don't need that CRAP

Just like in real life, drugs make you better at everything.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
The gaming decisions I have to make these days are too much. Do I spend 100 dollars to play this game early?

Forget horse armor, MTX, and loot crates. Just let gamers spend $1000 to play 1 month early.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cardboard Fox posted:

The gaming decisions I have to make these days are too much. Do I spend 100 dollars to play this game early?

Forget horse armor, MTX, and loot crates. Just let gamers spend $1000 to play 1 month early.

The answer is "no, do not." Even if it is the greatest game ever made it isn't worth the cost of an entire different game just to play it shortly before anyone else can. If it was like a MMO or other online game where a few days mattered I could see maybe arguing it but it's a single player game. You don't need to rush it.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:

ImpAtom posted:

The answer is "no, do not." Even if it is the greatest game ever made it isn't worth the cost of an entire different game just to play it shortly before anyone else can. If it was like a MMO or other online game where a few days mattered I could see maybe arguing it but it's a single player game. You don't need to rush it.

But I get the first DLC included not just 5 days of early access. Best value.

netizen
Jun 25, 2023
Somebody made a nifty little build planner.

https://nukesdragons.com/starfield/character

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
Interactive character builder:

https://nukesdragons.com/starfield/character

I've been going back and forth on backgrounds a lot. It shouldn't really matter too much, as it really just sets your first three skill points.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
You're a fool if you don't already have gamepass, and since you should have it, just wait five days.

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Is there a laser shotgun

There is! Kinda!
@ 40min
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMOPoAq5vIA&t=2400s

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Flowing Thot posted:

But I get the first DLC included not just 5 days of early access. Best value.

Yeah but if you want five days you can get the game for (effectively) free if you have Gamepass and then buy the DLC later if you really like it which is cheaper still.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I'm not going to wait until Sept 6, this wait is already long enough.

I've bought the premium upgrade for the game pass version, no regrets.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Game pass is for losers!!

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
So, this thread?

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

I see a 15 GB update coming down on Xbox. Fixing things that reviewers will have noted as broken :v:

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I wonder what Internet speed I need to have where it's faster to download at release vs predownloading ilon Wednesday and decrypting Thursday night...

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Ynglaur posted:

I wonder what Internet speed I need to have where it's faster to download at release vs predownloading ilon Wednesday and decrypting Thursday night...

What's ilon

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Hmmm. Does anyone know if it'll start decrypting automatically if it's already installed? Or would you need to try and launch it to start the decryption?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Getting GP ult for $6 is the best money in gaming.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Not much what’s ilon with you

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ilon gay

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah but if you want five days you can get the game for (effectively) free if you have Gamepass and then buy the DLC later if you really like it which is cheaper still.

the problem for me is that the gamepass version might be incompatible with some mods (this is a problem with skyrim)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Frostpunk in space

er wait, that’s Ixion

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

John F Bennett posted:

I'm not going to wait until Sept 6, this wait is already long enough.

I've bought the premium upgrade for the game pass version, no regrets.

cool, let's normalize paying 35$ for the privilege of playing a video game for the first 5 days after release

it will not encourage game companies to promote hype over substance

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Zlodo posted:

cool, let's normalize paying 35$ for the privilege of playing a video game for the first 5 days after release

You get the DLC!! You're a fool if you didn't purchase!!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Zlodo posted:

sounds like you're mad jelly

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

can we get mad at steam for early access too

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

You get the DLC!! You're a fool if you didn't purchase!!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I buy games sometimes. Sometimes I even enjoy them.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

No pathetic loser background??,

I think that's just called "Goon" in-game.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

Getting GP ult for $6 is the best money in gaming.

Yep I’ve got 3 years stacked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

God forbid we normalise *checks notes*... paying $35 to play a video game on release?