Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Biggest disappointment of 2023?
The Dallas Cowboys (gently caress 'em)
The New York Giants
The Philadephia Eagles
The Washington Washingtons
Myself for watching NFC East Clownball
View Results

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Toaster Beef posted:

Yeah, if Hurts goes down the Eagles are toast. Mariota has done exactly nothing to inspire an iota of confidence.

But he's got an iota right there in his name!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
Howie's the biggest gambler since Leonard Tose
https://twitter.com/jasrifootball/status/1696269367422472429?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Didn’t he place nba bets from the training room or something

What even is this league

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

euphronius posted:

Didn’t he place nba bets from the training room or something

What even is this league

He put bets for Florida friends on his own account, including a prop bet for a teammate, so his suspension is more legit than the “suspended for betting on the nba while at a hotel” ones but far under the guy who’s facing like federal charges

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Eagles cuts so far

WR Tyrie Cleveland*
WR Deon Cain
TE Dan Arnold
OT Fred Johnson
OT Dennis Kelly
OT Brett Toth
C Cameron Tom
DT Noah Elliss
CB Zech McPhearson*
CB Greedy Williams
P Ty Zentner

It's a shame about Greedy Williams' career. That's a great name for a corner.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
absolutely baffling how we couldn't find a better punter

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Asproigerosis posted:

absolutely baffling how we couldn't find a better punter

That SDSU Punter that was accused of gang rape and now cleared is available

Doctor Roosevelt
Jun 17, 2006

Nap Ghost

Quiet Feet posted:

Eagles cuts so far

WR Tyrie Cleveland*
WR Deon Cain
TE Dan Arnold
OT Fred Johnson
OT Dennis Kelly
OT Brett Toth
C Cameron Tom
DT Noah Elliss
CB Zech McPhearson*
CB Greedy Williams
P Ty Zentner

It's a shame about Greedy Williams' career. That's a great name for a corner.

Don’t forget about Greg Ward and Britain Covey, the true anchors of the 2022 season offense.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Doctor Roosevelt posted:

Don’t forget about Greg Ward and Britain Covey, the true anchors of the 2022 season offense.

Pouring one out for the best wide receiver on that 2020 Eagles team.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Quiet Feet posted:

Pouring one out for the best wide receiver on that 2020 Eagles team.
I thought that was Travis Fulgham...

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

blarzgh posted:

counterpoint: Jerry absolutely does NOT want to win without also getting the credit for it, and would trade Ten superbowls where he isn't named the GM for one where he gets to pretend he, "Did it without Jimmy" because he's an enormous, insecure baby who never got approval from his father

And, right on queue, here comes the moron now, pouring draft capital down the drain to make a splash for his stupid ego, costing a worthy project QB their job, and undercutting your head coach

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
I don't think spending a 4th on a project QB is a bad move, but that's just me.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

General Dog posted:

I think it’s hard to call Jerry one of the worst owners or even one of the worst GMs when the Cowboys consistently draft so well.

Will McClay is the Actual GM, and Jerry only maintains the title to the extent that he can a) get credit from people who don't understand how football works, and b) that he gets a few fuckaround trandes/signings/draft picks every season so he still gets to "play with his toy" (See, Trey Lance)

blarzgh posted:

I'm Other news: more support for my position that Dallas is Great at drafting (Will McClay) and Awful at contract management and negotiation (Jurrah and Steben)

https://twitter.com/DataWithBliss/status/1534537395051368448?t=j5QPh9p5_gNatD3ImQ0sfg&s=19

Dallas leads the league, with 72% of it's snaps going to home-grown players

blarzgh posted:

I've effort-posted before about the De-facto General Manager and director of player personnell, Will McClay. He's a talent/draft genius they snapped up from Arena Football who's been running the draft since about 2011 I think, and, in that time, has constructed one of the most home-grown rosters in the NFL, and is responsible for all of their great value players.

The only obvious deviations over the last 10 years from his process are the clear Jerry fuckups in the first round where Jerry gets to play Madden Franchise like taking Mo Claiborne, Zeke, LVE, etc. The major first round successes are the end-of-round picks like Travis Frederick, and Zack Martin (who, by the way, Jerry tried to take Johnny Manziel over, but Stephen Jones had to literally rip the Manziel card out of his hands). Jerry also tried to move back up to the first round and take that Memphis QB in 2016, where they eventually got Dak in the 4th round after McClay and Garrett had worked with Dak at the senior bowl, and put a 2nd round grade on him.

blarzgh fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Aug 30, 2023

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Do you think the “actual GM” tells JJ no on any occasions

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

Do you think the “actual GM” tells JJ no on any occasions

I think its complicated. I think Jerry bases 95% of his knowledge and opinions on what the "Actual GM" tells him, so there aren't a bunch of places for them to disagree. To jerry's credit, I think in the last 8-10 years he needs to play with his toy less and less often, and less prominently. He really does listen to the room, and goes along with what they want the majority of the time.

From 1994 - 2011 it was the opposite; it was his Fuckin Toy and He Got to Do WHATEVER HE WANTED (Even Big Tuna couldn't stop him from signing T.O.) There are a million examples.

Since 2011 (and likely in direct response to the DISASTER that the 2009 draft was), Things have been different. Nobody seems to push him too far, and if Jerry got a bug in his ear about some project player (Like Manzeil) then Stephen has enough control to make Jerry listen, so long as the rest of the Staff has Stephen's ear, yes.

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006
Clearly, whatever power sharing agreement they've arranged behind the scenes is working to limit grandpa's bad days from harming the team.

Jerry may have a buffoonish public persona, but the Cowboys org seems very well run. In the East, only the Eagles have been comparably managed, and a big part of that success seems to rely on Howie being a sharp gambler.

E: And, I view the Trey Lance trade being a response to the kind of sharp bets the Eagles have been making.

Ayudo fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Aug 30, 2023

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Idk you just described it as JJ being the GM with a staff to manage his whims

It would be better if he made 0 football moves

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
but then how do you establish possession

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Eagles traded a 2025 6th rounder to the Broncos for Albert Okwuegbunam and a 2025 7th rounder. Pretty cheap as an insurance option for Goedert and it's not like Stoll or Calcaterra impressed anyone.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

Idk you just described it as JJ being the GM with a staff to manage his whims

I would more describe it as a staff that runs a football team, but there's a toddler with a gun wandering around, and sometimes they let him shoot something unimportant like a chair or something so he doesn't get too antsy and start shooting up the whole place.

euphronius posted:

It would be better if he made 0 football moves

100% but what are u gonna do :shrug:

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Quiet Feet posted:

Eagles traded a 2025 6th rounder to the Broncos for Albert Okwuegbunam and a 2025 7th rounder. Pretty cheap as an insurance option for Goedert and it's not like Stoll or Calcaterra impressed anyone.

We could have drafted two tight ends with those picks loving fire Howie NOW

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

blarzgh posted:

100% but what are u gonna do :shrug:

I'm gonna say gently caress the Cowboys and I hope they finish last.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRQwzP099s4&t=179s

Man, those "GIANTS" throwbacks are so clean

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Why we ever left them I have no idea

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Same but the kelly greens for my eagles. The late 90's/early 00's were a loving crime against humanity with what sports teams did to uniforms.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

The Dave posted:

Drunkposting is the bestposting

It certainly is, and right now I am reveling in the thought of non-Cowboys posters ITT attempting to live while little rivulets of peepee run down their legs at the thought of how ferocious the Cowboys D is going to be this season

Even Iggles fans cower in fear under the approaching shadow of Doomsday 3.0

Like rats, opossums, fleas, and various other unsavory critters common to the PA/NJ area, they submit in fear when animals that are higher on the food chain approach

Cowboys: 12-5

Iggles: 8-9 (marred by knee or concussion loss of Hurts)

Jints: 7-11 due to factors far too numerous to enumerate here

I probably forgot one team but if so they are not even worth considering

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

MrMojok posted:

It certainly is, and right now I am reveling in the thought of non-Cowboys posters ITT attempting to live while little rivulets of peepee run down their legs at the thought of how ferocious the Cowboys D is going to be this season

Even Iggles fans cower in fear under the approaching shadow of Doomsday 3.0

Like rats, opossums, fleas, and various other unsavory critters common to the PA/NJ area, they submit in fear when animals that are higher on the food chain approach

Cowboys: 12-5

Iggles: 8-9 (marred by knee or concussion loss of Hurts)

Jints: 7-11 due to factors far too numerous to enumerate here

I probably forgot one team but if so they are not even worth considering
This is opossum slander and I will not stand for it.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

The Dallas Cowboys will win the Super Bowl

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

The Dallas Cowboys will win the Super Bowl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GM-e46xdcUo

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Straddles the back of a chair to sit in it, facing you, "Lets have a talk."

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Actually,

https://youtu.be/MCT80HJWQ2A?si=7BH9w3Ldp1HHhORz

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

blarzgh posted:

And, right on queue, here comes the moron now, pouring draft capital down the drain to make a splash for his stupid ego, costing a worthy project QB their job, and undercutting your head coach

Cross posting this from the NFC West thread

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
:lmao:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

As if Alex Smith didn’t have it rough enough with that gruesome leg injury.

https://twitter.com/_MLFootball/status/1698896631322554710?s=20

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Holy poo poo, that sucks :smith:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
drat

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Cartoon Man posted:

As if Alex Smith didn’t have it rough enough with that gruesome leg injury.

https://twitter.com/_MLFootball/status/1698896631322554710?s=20
Fuuuuuuuuuck that sucks, I feel terrible for him and his family.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
https://nflrankings.theringer.com/qb-rankings

They messed up Dak's spot by a few places, but they got Jalen Hurts right

Edit:
https://twitter.com/BenjaminSolak/status/1699073464144212440?s=20

lol

blarzgh fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Sep 5, 2023

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Where was hurts ranked ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

euphronius posted:

Where was hurts ranked ?

In The Ringer