Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

MrQwerty posted:

that dumbass cybertruck is vinyl wrapped with the image of a Toyota truck and somehow that is pure p0wn4g3

It helped me realize that the front profile of the cybertruck looks a hell of a lot like a minivan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

wtf is a "bazinga" is that a new nickname for elon fanboys or something :confused:

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Holy poo poo it's literally a PS1 model

All it needs is the wobbling vertices, which it probably has from bad construction

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Earwicker posted:

wtf is a "bazinga" is that a new nickname for elon fanboys or something :confused:

I would guess it's a reference to Big Bang Theory being Stupid-That-Thinks-It-Is-Smart much like Elon but that is just a guess.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Earwicker posted:

yes but it's not new

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

I would guess it's a reference to Big Bang Theory being Stupid-That-Thinks-It-Is-Smart much like Elon but that is just a guess.

Elon really is just the Sheldon Cooper of real life: a stupid person's idea of what a smart person should be AND a massive horrifying autistic sociopath and danger to everyone within his reach, which is unfortunately very large.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!
Got another bsky code if any other dopes need an escape from shitter
e: taken

emSparkly fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Aug 28, 2023

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

nine-gear crow posted:

Elon really is just the Sheldon Cooper of real life: a stupid person's idea of what a smart person should be AND a massive horrifying autistic sociopath and danger to everyone within his reach, which is unfortunately very large.

Please don't insult autists by comparing them to the pedo nazi shitboer.

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

Y'all are fast with nabbing those invites

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Total Party Kill posted:

Y'all are fast with nabbing those invites

PM me I got one

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!

gschmidl posted:

Please don't insult autists by comparing them to the pedo nazi shitboer.

Don't compare us to Sheldon either. That syndicated sludge show has set public perception of autism back like 100 years all on its own and I consider it a televised hate crime.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
amen

annoying, lovely show :mad:

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Crackbone posted:

Holy poo poo it's literally a PS1 model

All it needs is the wobbling vertices, which it probably has from bad construction

Question, if this is even known - is the cybertruck actually constructed fully out of stainless steel, or is it just thin aesthetic panels over a more conventional frame like the Delorean?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

It's a reskinned stretched model Y.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Question, if this is even known - is the cybertruck actually constructed fully out of stainless steel, or is it just thin aesthetic panels over a more conventional frame like the Delorean?

Seems like full stainless steel which is what is giving their production such a hard time - it's way more effort to weld a bunch of flat panels together than it is to stamp out shapes and then weld them together at certain joints. Not sure if the flat panels are also welded on to an internal frame or what the deal is there though.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Myron Baloney posted:

I don't think many bazingas will end up with cybertrukks in their possession, but it would be fun to hear the screeching when they find out what the first winter of road salt will do to stainless body panels

Why would they do that? The temperature barely ever even dips into the 30s :confused:

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

priznat posted:

Seems like full stainless steel which is what is giving their production such a hard time - it's way more effort to weld a bunch of flat panels together than it is to stamp out shapes and then weld them together at certain joints. Not sure if the flat panels are also welded on to an internal frame or what the deal is there though.

That's what I thought. No way it's going to cost anywhere near what Musk said it would - I wouldn't be surprised if it approaches or exceeds 100k. And how the hell is it going to pass crash test requirements?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i am "on the spectrum" myself and was aware of sheldon as kind of a lovely stereotype character but ive honestly never heard anyone equate him to musk or his fanboys. in fact i know quite a few weird nerdy types who also most likely have some degree of the 'tism, and they all hate musk.

everyone ive met irl who actually thought he was some kind of genius business leader or whatever has been either some kind of super normie mba republican type, or the type of unthinking shitlib who assumes he's some kind of environmentalist because electric cars, with no clue about all his online persona nazi bullshit.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Rotten Red Rod posted:

That's what I thought. No way it's going to cost anywhere near what Musk said it would - I wouldn't be surprised if it approaches or exceeds 100k. And how the hell is it going to pass crash test requirements?

I didn't know he said a price, what was it?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Earwicker posted:

i am "on the spectrum" myself and was aware of sheldon as kind of a lovely stereotype character but ive honestly never heard anyone equate him to musk or his fanboys. in fact i know quite a few weird nerdy types who also most likely have some degree of the 'tism, and they all hate musk.

everyone ive met irl who actually thought he was some kind of genius business leader or whatever has been either some kind of super normie mba republican type, or the type of unthinking shitlib who assumes he's some kind of environmentalist because electric cars, with no clue about all his online persona bullshit.

I absolutely believe Musk is on the spectrum, but from experience with the many people I know who also are on the spectrum yet still functional, nice people, I think it's much more likely his wealth and upbringing have way more to do with how he is than that.

kazil posted:

He said $40k years ago but I can't find a source on it, and he may have been talking generally about a standard EV truck as it was before the cybertruck was actually announced.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Aug 28, 2023

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
People who call musk autistic seem to be more using it to shield him from criticism because it plays into the autistic equals rear end in a top hat stereotype

Like even Sheldon was socialized into not being an rear end in a top hat while still being autistic

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Yeah if they sell them for anything near what normal people would pay for them they will lose money on every one. Even the F150 lightnings seem to be a tough sell now for the prices they are charging.

kazil posted:

It was crazy low like $35k iirc? Everyone thought that was bullshit at the time and vehicles are even more expensive now.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

priznat posted:

Yeah if they sell them for anything near what normal people would pay for them they will lose money on every one. Even the F150 lightnings seem to be a tough sell now for the prices they are charging.

It was crazy low like $35k iirc? Everyone thought that was bullshit at the time and vehicles are even more expensive now.

I keep seeing the $75k number thrown around by "industry analysts" but I'm betting on it being high 80s or more.

priznat posted:

$40k, but it was before the Cybertruck was revealed so it's possible he was talking about a more standard EV truck at that time.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

priznat posted:

Their production is having a hard time because they never intended to actually produce the vehicle. It's literally a set of shiny jingling keys to distract Musk from interfering with actual production.

Like we've had the ~technology~ to make complex stainless steel parts for almost a hundred years. Ford collaborated with a stainless steel producer to make stainless prototypes of their cars... in the 1930s

https://www.oldcarsweekly.com/features/inside-the-stainless-fords

And even besides that, the DeLorean produced like 10000 units in the early 80s! In loving Ireland!

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

QueenAnnesDead posted:

Small notional prize for guessing which of many countries I'm from, haha

QueenAnnesDead posted:

Also lol at the e-mag translating it into rupees so it looks even more preposterous to Indian employers (it's an anemic sort of The Economist, same sympathies but little to no ragebait of the "20 ways to skip breakfast and put in unpaid OT for millennials" variety).

Ooh, I should show international goons some Indian Elon-related memery sometime

My guess is India :thunk:

What do I win?

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
If anyone else has a bsky invite they dont mind passing along let me know. i can pm if necessary

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
There is no way the Cybertruck is road worthy.

They are going to keep this from buyers until the last minute, the very last line in 1 point print 'This is not intended for actual road usage.'
Just need to maximize sales, make hundreds of millions in profit, and then pay of the 5 million punishment for lying all along.
Business the Elon way.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

happyhippy posted:

There is no way the Cybertruck is road worthy.

They are going to keep this from buyers until the last minute, the very last line in 1 point print 'This is not intended for actual road usage.'
Just need to maximize sales, make hundreds of millions in profit, and then pay of the 5 million punishment for lying all along.
Business the Elon way.

And the people who bought them will insist that a vehicle with no utility use at all baked into the design is the greatest pickup truck ever built

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

PhazonLink posted:

sharp knees is a knife knee. it like that dumb comic book character with knife hands, i think his name is literally Razorfist. or a dumb maybe parody star wars OC that has light sabers everywhere.

That was not a parody Star Wars OC, that was an actual Star Wars EU character who was covered in dumb loving lightsaber blades. Though memes always give him about twice as many because it's funny.

"Lord Nyax"

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Aug 28, 2023

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Elon Musk is only “on the spectrum” insofar as everyone is somewhere on any given mental health spectrum. He’s just an rear end in a top hat and an idiot, there’s no need to medicalise it

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Scientastic posted:

Elon Musk is only “on the spectrum” insofar as everyone is somewhere on any given mental health spectrum. He’s just an rear end in a top hat and an idiot, there’s no need to medicalise it
He's "on the spectrum" all right, the rear end in a top hat spectrum that is.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

kazil posted:

Gotta write words words words for a single tweet with nearly no information.

here's the picture btw

very professionally painted on logo
Still lolling that this multi-billion million company under Musk flushed 18 years of brand equity down the toilet and went with a logo that was lifted straight out of a Unicode character set. “Tweet” is (for now) a verb in the English dictionary - an achievement other brands can only dream of.

Elon is exactly the kind of person who I imagine thinks graphic design is a worthless job.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I don't get it. You've already recognised that facebook was bad social media, then twitter became bad social media, and tiktok is bad social media, then mastodon lived for a hot minute before crashing and burning because it was bad social media.

Why charge headfirst into bluesky when you know social media is bad and always has been?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Mastadon crashed already?

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

i need my motherfucking feed shot into my veins and i need it #NOW !

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

ilmucche posted:

I don't get it. You've already recognised that facebook was bad social media, then twitter became bad social media, and tiktok is bad social media, then mastodon lived for a hot minute before crashing and burning because it was bad social media.

Why charge headfirst into bluesky when you know social media is bad and always has been?

:agreed: but I think folks are just chasing that social media dragon and the continuously diminishing returns may be how they eventually got off of it. It was actually pretty hard to go cold turkey on twitter!

It's especially evident that there are no new ideas from the people creating these networks so they will eventually sputter out as people just get bored with the same poo poo.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

bsky-social-a55su-ck3rz

kwote this if you take it!

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

ilmucche posted:

Why ask this question on antiquated social media

We all use this kind of poo poo to occupy our stupid brains

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Durzel posted:

“Tweet” is (for now) a verb in the English dictionary - an achievement other brands can only dream of.

Joke's on you (e)xclamation is already in the dictionary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Scientastic posted:

We're only talking about it because he self-identified as having Asperger's long ago (when that term was still used).